Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
being a home owner is such a pain! Options
Nerdgasm_Comics
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2012 10:21:37 AM

Groups: Member

Really you guys should look into moving to Colorado, I've got 78 acres of mountain property with a House on it and our taxes are around 1k a year. I think our house prices are also cheaper than on the east or west coast.

"Get your Nerd ON!"

If you find a comic in my Inventory that doesn't have a cover scan or one in approval. Send me a PM with the issue name and number, and I'll give you $1.00 in store credit per issue!

If you can't find what you are looking for at my store try these AWESOME stores!
Alpha Comics, Comics Castle, Gryphon Comics and Games, Curious Goods & Comics II, EastBay Comics, HeroLand Comics, The Comic Book Stop,

Xylob
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2012 10:51:16 AM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

actually.... SuperSoldier124 and I are in Colorado.
He's in the Springs and I'm in Denver. I can't speak for the Springs, but my property taxes are less than $1K a year (just a 1800 sq ft house on about 1/4 acre in town).

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
scotteaves
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2012 10:51:56 AM

Groups: Approver, Approver Moderator, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Guru, Member, Subscriber

Nerdgasm_Comics wrote:
Really you guys should look into moving to Colorado, I've got 78 acres of mountain property with a House on it and our taxes are around 1k a year. I think our house prices are also cheaper than on the east or west coast.

I guarantee that the housing prices are lower than in the Northeast. A few years ago we entertained the thought of moving to Colorado (my wife's best friend is out there). Our 1950's era Cape Cod style house cost us more when we bought it in 2001 than brand new houses 2 to 3 times the size of ours with larger property near Castle Rock area. And after the housing market climb and subsequent drop, we're just about at the same value on our house 11 years after buying it. Wall And that's after all of the work I've done to it. We'd be better off just stopping mortgage payments and letting the bank foreclose on our house instead of trying to sell it.

4saken1
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2012 10:59:10 AM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

comicscastle wrote:
$2K a year for taxes? Where do you live? I pay that much per quarter, and insurance is almost $2k. I know it's not the same as paying a mortgage. Mine was paid off about 10 years ago. The problem is now that I'm retired and living off a fixed income (retirement & Social Security) those bills and the normal upkeep of a house can be as much of a problem as back in the old days. I can't just work a little overtime to cover the unexpected expenses. Plus when I get in a real fix I'm too old to hit up my parents for a loan. Now I'm the one that is getting hit on. It doesn't get easier as you get older, just different.

Sorry you got it so rough, Pat! I guess things are a little different here in California than NJ.

We bought our house in 2003 for $230k, putting 60% down. I think the interest rate was something like 6% back then. After the housing bubble burst, we had enough equity to refinance at 4%, so that's what we did.

In California, your taxes are based on the value of your house when you bought it, or if you refinance the tax assessors are supposed to come out and re-evaluate your home's value. This actually worked out to our advantage, because the tax assessor chose comps from a neighborhood that is worse than ours and undervalued it by 50k less than the appraiser did during the refinance.

.......and that's how our taxes are this low! In fact, I just did a double check to make sure, and it turns out my taxes are actually $1,600 a year.

ComicVortex

Current specials:

Get 30% Off Select Comics
For every comic you purchase from our 'Bargain Bin' (those priced $1 or less), another comic purchased over $1 will be $30% off (refunded via PayPal). eg. If you purchase 10 'Bargain Bin' books, then 10 books purchased that are each over $1 will recieve this refund, etc.

Free Shipping

Every domestic order of 25 or more comics gets FREE SHIPPING (Media Mail). Though I can't provide Free Shipping on foreign orders, we do offer a $5 refund on postage for purchases of 25 or more comics to foreign countries or a $10 refund if you buy 50 comics (again, foreign orders only).

Dreadnok01
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2012 11:34:41 AM

SuperSoldier124 wrote:
Dreadnok01 wrote:
Nerdgasm_Comics wrote:
Just wait until one of your kids flushes a toy down the toilet, that leads to some awesome repairs later on. Especially if it makes it past the toilet and into the actual plumbing where it gets stuck and causes the entire plumbing to back-up. Nothing like seeing sewage seeping up into your bath tub.

Yup! I've been there. It is NOT pleasent.
yeah dude thats sh!ty. i'm waiting for those horrid days to come. i've been lucky so far with my 5 yr. old.

I think I jinxed myself. Just gave Roto Rotter $120 to clear a clogged toilet. No proof that it was a toy this time though.
scotteaves
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2012 11:43:21 AM

Groups: Approver, Approver Moderator, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Guru, Member, Subscriber

4saken1 wrote:
comicscastle wrote:
$2K a year for taxes? Where do you live? I pay that much per quarter, and insurance is almost $2k. I know it's not the same as paying a mortgage. Mine was paid off about 10 years ago. The problem is now that I'm retired and living off a fixed income (retirement & Social Security) those bills and the normal upkeep of a house can be as much of a problem as back in the old days. I can't just work a little overtime to cover the unexpected expenses. Plus when I get in a real fix I'm too old to hit up my parents for a loan. Now I'm the one that is getting hit on. It doesn't get easier as you get older, just different.

Sorry you got it so rough, Pat! I guess things are a little different here in California than NJ.

We bought our house in 2003 for $230k, putting 60% down. I think the interest rate was something like 6% back then. After the housing bubble burst, we had enough equity to refinance at 4%, so that's what we did.

In California, your taxes are based on the value of your house when you bought it, or if you refinance the tax assessors are supposed to come out and re-evaluate your home's value. This actually worked out to our advantage, because the tax assessor chose comps from a neighborhood that is worse than ours and undervalued it by 50k less than the appraiser did during the refinance.

.......and that's how our taxes are this low! In fact, I just did a double check to make sure, and it turns out my taxes are actually $1,600 a year.

Taxes are based the same here in NJ - on the property value. Problem is, there are local taxes, then county taxes, and school taxes. And there are so many tiny towns in NJ that don't share services (DPW, police, etc.) that it's stupid expensive to support those services for each town.

And I'm still not sure what my county taxes go to - the county managed roads are full of potholes, they do ok with snowplowing though, and there are some parks. So why is that the largest part of my taxes?!?!?

yourplace2
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2012 3:30:41 PM

Shop at My Store

In Bridgeport, CT we pay 5800K in Property Taxes for our 1275 sqft Cape Cod home on 1/4 acre of land. Plus we pay Prop. Tx on our cars too. Wall

Join the store on FACEBOOK!

* All items must be returned prior to refund at your expense. Return shipping not refunded.

4saken1
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2012 9:06:57 PM

Shop at My Store

yourplace2 wrote:
In Bridgeport, CT we pay 5800K in Property Taxes for our 1275 sqft Cape Cod home on 1/4 acre of land. Plus we pay Prop. Tx on our cars too. Wall

Man, I never realized how much some other states get screwed on property taxes! Please tell me your sales taxes are low. Cape Cod has a lot of expensive houses, no? I don't even want to imagine how much some of those people must pay!

ComicVortex

Current specials:

For every comic you purchase from our 'Bargain Bin' (those priced $1 or less), another comic purchased over $1 will be $30% off (refunded via PayPal). eg. If you purchase 10 'Bargain Bin' books, then 10 books purchased that are each over $1 will recieve this refund, etc.

Free Shipping

Every domestic order of 25 or more comics gets FREE SHIPPING (Media Mail). Though I can't provide Free Shipping on foreign orders, we do offer a $5 refund on postage for purchases of 25 or more comics to foreign countries or a $10 refund if you buy 50 comics (again, foreign orders only).

comicscastle
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2012 9:12:59 PM

Groups: Approver, Approver Steward, CR-Management, Forum Admin, Grade My Book Host, Guru, History Host, Member, Super Seller, Tool

Shop at My Store

4saken1 wrote:
yourplace2 wrote:

Man, I never realized how much some other states get screwed on property taxes! Please tell me your sales taxes are low. Cape Cod has a lot of expensive houses, no? I don't even want to imagine how much some of those people must pay!
Connecticut is 6.35%, while New Jersey is 7%. That's just slightly less than California at 7.25%.

The following stores are all stores that I've dealt with or have become friends with through the forums and I highly recommend them all.
Comics Castle-owned & operated by Pat McCauslin
Alpha Comics--ComicVortex--Metropolis Connections 2.0--Comic Cellar

Reggie
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2012 9:55:46 PM

comicscastle wrote:
4saken1 wrote:
yourplace2 wrote:

Connecticut is 6.35%, while New Jersey is 7%. That's just slightly less than California at 7.25%.

Wow. I guess I feel better about living in south Florida. My property taxes run about $2300.00 a year with about $1100.00 a year for insurance and the sales tax in my county is at 6%.

comicfan17blue
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2012 11:19:28 PM

My wife and I have a 1800 sq ft home on ~1/8 of an acre lot and we pay about ~$1700 a year in property taxes and ~$700 a year for insurance sales tax in my county is 7.35%.
Xylob
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2012 11:40:34 PM

sales tax around here is 8.9%-9.7%...

Problems with CCL?
615-264-4747
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

yourplace2
Posted: Saturday, December 01, 2012 11:27:00 AM

Shop at My Store

yourplace2 wrote:

We pay about 2k in insurance too because we have an old roof.

$650 per month just for the taxes and insurance

Join the store on FACEBOOK!

* All items must be returned prior to refund at your expense. Return shipping not refunded.

4saken1
Posted: Saturday, December 01, 2012 8:51:03 PM

Shop at My Store

Xylob wrote:

Ooh

ComicVortex

Current specials:

Free Shipping

Nerdgasm_Comics
Posted: Monday, December 03, 2012 1:09:38 PM

4saken1 wrote:
Xylob wrote:

Ooh

In Fort Collins the sales tax is only 7.5% outside city limits it drops to 6.5%, We are a little north of Xylob, on the Wyoming Colorado border.

I am in the middle of a bathroom remodel, and had to perform an emergency repair on our other bathroom this weekend. Toilet clogged and the plumbing snake I had just couldn't get to the clog had to remove toilet and get to the clog from the other side of the toilet. Not a fun weekend.

"Get your Nerd ON!"

If you find a comic in my Inventory that doesn't have a cover scan or one in approval. Send me a PM with the issue name and number, and I'll give you $1.00 in store credit per issue!

If you can't find what you are looking for at my store try these AWESOME stores!
Alpha Comics, Comics Castle, Gryphon Comics and Games, Curious Goods & Comics II, EastBay Comics, HeroLand Comics, The Comic Book Stop,

scotteaves
Posted: Monday, December 03, 2012 1:46:27 PM

Toilet clogs generally make for a rotten day.

Xylob
Posted: Monday, December 03, 2012 4:18:07 PM

4saken1 wrote:
Xylob wrote:

Ooh
No sales tax on groceries though (in most places that is)...

Problems with CCL?
615-264-4747

Xylob's Most Wanted:

kidlippy
Posted: Monday, December 03, 2012 11:42:40 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

I never thought about the cost of keeping a home 7 years ago when I first bought my home. My first year my water heater went ($600 for a new one. Thank God I knew someone who could help me install it). Then my son flushed a toy car (amazing how often that happens I see). Had to get a new toilet.
Then my second year my sub pump in the basement stopped working. Motor was burnt out. Damn thing was constantly on we found out since it didn't make much sound and we don't usually spend time in the basement.
Garage door needed to be replaced and repaired. Again, thank God we knew someone who could help repair it.
Our motor for the furnace went. We didn't have money to replace it so we just replaced the motor. Only to replace the damn furnace because we're now renovating our basement so we had to move the furnace to the laundry area (furnace was in opposite side of the basement for some reason.
Then we had to renovate the bathroom with the new toilet. And then this past summer a new central air conditioner.
Now our kitchen sink is leaking.
When will it end????

Laughing

http://www.myspace.com/kidlippy

SuperSoldier124
Posted: Sunday, December 09, 2012 11:26:16 PM

Dreadnok01 wrote:
SuperSoldier124 wrote:
Dreadnok01 wrote:
Nerdgasm_Comics wrote:
Just wait until one of your kids flushes a toy down the toilet, that leads to some awesome repairs later on. Especially if it makes it past the toilet and into the actual plumbing where it gets stuck and causes the entire plumbing to back-up. Nothing like seeing sewage seeping up into your bath tub.

Yup! I've been there. It is NOT pleasent.
yeah dude thats sh!ty. i'm waiting for those horrid days to come. i've been lucky so far with my 5 yr. old.

I think I jinxed myself. Just gave Roto Rotter $120 to clear a clogged toilet. No proof that it was a toy this time though.

that sucks! lol i paid some kid 125 to cut holes in ceiling just to tell me he "doesn't know" my dad came to visit and figured it out in 5 minutes. Not Talking couldn't believe. spent all weekend with him snaking pipes and putting up new dry wall for my ceiling (thank you crappy plumber)

add me on xbox live and PSN

PS3: wartorn11b
360: precious blood1

SuperSoldier124
Posted: Sunday, December 09, 2012 11:31:57 PM

Xylob wrote:
actually.... SuperSoldier124 and I are in Colorado.
He's in the Springs and I'm in Denver. I can't speak for the Springs, but my property taxes are less than $1K a year (just a 1800 sq ft house on about 1/4 acre in town).
yeah its the same here roughly. now i'm debating if i wanna selling after 2 years or just rent it out. i PCS to south Carolina in july for 3 years. at which point i have to make a hard decision... re-up indefinitively or ETS and assume my roll as a regular guy and grow hair like I've always wanted lol but if i re-up i'm at needs of the army and could end up anywhere so... Wall

add me on xbox live and PSN

PS3: wartorn11b
360: precious blood1