Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Kids Not Allowed in Comic Store? Options
Thundercron
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2012 3:20:21 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

So I went to a comic shop in my area today. It's a great store, been around since 1974. I usually hit thier half off sales, or when I'm looking for a special item for a customer. It's just too out of the way for me to frequent.

ANYWAY. I've always noticed that they have a sign on their door asking parents to keep there small children with them at all times, "due to the delicate nature of the merchandise." Understandable. But today I noticed that the sign also says NO CHILDREN UNDER 10 are allowed in the store unless accompanied by an adult.

Really? No kids allowed in a comic store?

Discuss.
Xylob
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2012 3:41:34 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

it's odd... I rarely see anybody under about 25 in most of the LCS around here (and when I do they're buying gaming cards, NOT comics).
I've see signs about keeping small children with you at all times, usually accompanied with a 'you break it - you bought it'.
I've never seen a ban on kids though. I'd have to assume something happened to prompt this. For the most part I can't stand kids, but I'd still be more than happy to take their $$$ if they wanted to spend it in my store!

It doesn't matter if it's 50 Cents or 50 Dollars - if you list it as NM it better be NM.
Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!

Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...
BurningDoom
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2012 5:17:10 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

Thundercron wrote:
So I went to a comic shop in my area today. It's a great store, been around since 1974. I usually hit thier half off sales, or when I'm looking for a special item for a customer. It's just too out of the way for me to frequent.

ANYWAY. I've always noticed that they have a sign on their door asking parents to keep there small children with them at all times, "due to the delicate nature of the merchandise." Understandable. But today I noticed that the sign also says NO CHILDREN UNDER 10 are allowed in the store unless accompanied by an adult.

Discuss.

On one hand, I can understand the concern since some of that stuff is really valuable. But on the other hand, IT'S A COMIC SHOP! It's supposed to be about kids. It's full of comics, cards, and action figures; kids LOVE that stuff, as they should.

If their that worried, they keep the really valuable stuff behind the counter or in a glass case.

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
4saken1
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2012 9:00:21 PM

Shop at My Store

I don't see it as a ban, it simply imposes a condition on them being in the store. Kids under 10 should probably be accompanied by an adult anywhere anyways, IMO.

ComicVortex

Current specials:

Get 30% Off Select Comics
For every comic you purchase from our 'Bargain Bin' (those priced $1 or less), another comic purchased over $1 will be $30% off (refunded via PayPal). eg. If you purchase 10 'Bargain Bin' books, then 10 books purchased that are each over $1 will recieve this refund, etc.

Free Shipping

Every domestic order of 25 or more comics gets FREE SHIPPING (Media Mail). Though I can't provide Free Shipping on foreign orders, we do offer a $5 refund on postage for purchases of 25 or more comics to foreign countries or a $10 refund if you buy 50 comics (again, foreign orders only).

KingZombie
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2012 9:16:08 PM

Groups: Member

I have never seen a kid under the age of 10 inside a comic shop by themselves and it's usually the parent buying the comics for themselves.

Kids today are not interested in comic books. They have 24 hr cartoon channels, DVDs and video games. They don't need to read it when they can watch or play it.

Having said that, I get why the store has the sign up and I'm sure it doesn't hurt their business one bit.
chainsawsr
Posted: Saturday, December 01, 2012 7:37:56 AM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

The sign should be not have to be put up. As a parent I would not drop my kids at a store. Kids will be kids and without supervision accidents could happen.

And on a sadder note Adults will be adults and kids can easily be taken advantage of or worse.

Cheers!

Where is my Fables? I need a reality check!
Xylob
Posted: Saturday, December 01, 2012 7:43:02 AM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

chainsawsr wrote:
...As a parent I would not drop my kids at a store...

Applause
Sounds like you're actually doing some parenting - a rarity these days.
Very refreshing.

It doesn't matter if it's 50 Cents or 50 Dollars - if you list it as NM it better be NM.
Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!

Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...
BurningDoom
Posted: Saturday, December 01, 2012 12:16:09 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

When I was a kid, I would take walks down to the local comic shop with friends to check out the newest issues and action figure shipments. If I didn't have that experience as a kid, I wouldn't be the person I am today probably. I think it's a terrible thing to ban kids from a comic shop. Not all kids are outta control caffeine fueled destruction machines, I certainly wasn't because I knew I'd get a butt-whooping.

This logic could apply to any store. You don't see Wal-Mart, Toys R Us, or Best Buy banning kids.

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
Thundercron
Posted: Saturday, December 01, 2012 12:59:39 PM

Shop at My Store

BurningDoom wrote:
When I was a kid, I would take walks down to the local comic shop with friends to check out the newest issues and action figure shipments. If I didn't have that experience as a kid, I wouldn't be the person I am today probably. I think it's a terrible thing to ban kids from a comic shop. Not all kids are outta control caffeine fueled destruction machines, I certainly wasn't because I knew I'd get a butt-whooping.

This logic could apply to any store. You don't see Wal-Mart, Toys R Us, or Best Buy banning kids.

I'll agree with Nate here. Especially his comments about the freedom of going to the local comic shop with his friends being a positive growing-up experience. An earlier poster said that kids 10 and under should be accompanied by an adult wherever they go, anyway. Really? I grew up in a small town of 7,000 people, and it was no big deal to have second or third graders walking with friends to the local mini-mart or park. I live in a bigger city now, but still-how often do you hear of a child abduction or murder happening in your town? Statistically speaking, it's really not that often.

But I'm getting a little off-topic. Point is, you don't paint colorful pictures of Spider-Man, Spongebob, and Superman on the outside of your comic shop and then say "no kids allowed." I understand they don't want their stock to get damaged, but take it as a chance to educate the new collectors on how to handle the books. Don't just yell at the kids and ban them.
4saken1
Posted: Saturday, December 01, 2012 8:49:30 PM

Shop at My Store

Again....the store in question has not banned kids.

Plus, I don't imagine that the owner just up and decided to be a jerk one day and put up a sign! There were probably incidents which led up to this decision. It's easy to judge when you don't know all the facts. If there was a chronic problem with kids damaging comics on the shelves in somebody's store and costing them money, it seems perfectly reasonable for the owner to do this.

He is not a babysitter! If parents want to treat him like one, they should pay him extra for that.

ComicVortex

Current specials:

Get 30% Off Select Comics
For every comic you purchase from our 'Bargain Bin' (those priced $1 or less), another comic purchased over $1 will be $30% off (refunded via PayPal). eg. If you purchase 10 'Bargain Bin' books, then 10 books purchased that are each over $1 will recieve this refund, etc.

Free Shipping

Every domestic order of 25 or more comics gets FREE SHIPPING (Media Mail). Though I can't provide Free Shipping on foreign orders, we do offer a $5 refund on postage for purchases of 25 or more comics to foreign countries or a $10 refund if you buy 50 comics (again, foreign orders only).

fenix1977
Posted: Sunday, December 02, 2012 3:06:28 AM

Kids under 10 need to be with a parent or have some sort of supervision. This is not the same world we grew up in where it was safe to venture to a local store with out an adult. Having worked retail I can see where he is coming from. He wants to protect his arse for one and secondly I can sadly say parents are not as responsible today as in the past. In college I worked in a mall in a small community and the mall was basically used as a baby sitter. You could tell when the schools got out because the kids would just show up. It costs less to give your kid 10 bucks and send them to the mall than it does for a baby sitter.

Mad Bloggings

kidlippy
Posted: Sunday, December 02, 2012 12:25:55 PM

When I was a young kid, I always bought my comics from the 7-11 store across the street for 25 cents. When I hit about 10 or so, I found an actual comic store at a new school I went to, called Styx and now called Comics America (weird since I live in Canada Laughing ). Workers as Styx taught me how to look after my comics, supplying me with bags and boards and boxes.
Now as an adult, I go to another LCS on the way to work, comics, books, toys, and sports stuff sold there. To be honest, I don't see any children there at all, even with parents. The owners of the story, Book Fair Comics, are great people. I brought my son (who is now 9 years old) a few years ago and the owners are cool with him. I do keep him close to me and pay attention to him. The owners talk to him and even give him free items every other visit or so (he comes with me when there's no school).

Hate to say this but today's comics aren't for children. Not because of what's inside the comic but the price. How many kids could afford Spiderman, Sonic the Hedgehog, Superman, etc on a weekly basis? I also believe the comic store has a right to have rules since it's alot like a store that sells antiques and such. Kid damages a crystal ball or something, parent is held responsible, same thing should be in a comic store.

http://www.myspace.com/kidlippy

SpidermanGeek
Posted: Sunday, December 02, 2012 5:10:18 PM

Groups: Guru, Marvel Host, Member, Moderator

fenix1977 wrote:
Kids under 10 need to be with a parent or have some sort of supervision. This is not the same world we grew up in where it was safe to venture to a local store with out an adult. Having worked retail I can see where he is coming from. He wants to protect his arse for one and secondly I can sadly say parents are not as responsible today as in the past. In college I worked in a mall in a small community and the mall was basically used as a baby sitter. You could tell when the schools got out because the kids would just show up. It costs less to give your kid 10 bucks and send them to the mall than it does for a baby sitter.

This. I was going to reply to Nate about his comment and essentially say the same thing.

10 year old kids today are just not the same 10 year old kids from 20 years ago.

20 years ago, at 10 years old, if you screwed around in a comic store and the owner told you and your friends to behave or they'd call your parents, you would have been terrified at the thought and complied.

If a shop owner would do that today, the 10 year old would hand the shop owner his or her smartphone and dare him to do it while making a mess of the action figure display.

I don't see anything wrong with the shop requesting parental supervision to cover their hydes. Besides, 85% of comic books have a CCA rating of T+ or higher. Fact is, there just isn't that much material for kids 10 and under. They don't want the kid to flip through a Hulk book and starting raging through the store.

My Bro banned Hulk from his house because my nephew goes ape sh!t after watching anything Hulk related. He regretted bringing The Avengers home, lol.

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules, here.
LordMikel
Posted: Sunday, December 02, 2012 8:09:36 PM

SpidermanGeek wrote:
fenix1977 wrote:

This. I was going to reply to Nate about his comment and essentially say the same thing.

10 year old kids today are just not the same 10 year old kids from 20 years ago.

20 years ago, at 10 years old, if you screwed around in a comic store and the owner told you and your friends to behave or they'd call your parents, you would have been terrified at the thought and complied.

If a shop owner would do that today, the 10 year old would hand the shop owner his or her smartphone and dare him to do it while making a mess of the action figure display.

I don't see anything wrong with the shop requesting parental supervision to cover their hydes. Besides, 85% of comic books have a CCA rating of T+ or higher. Fact is, there just isn't that much material for kids 10 and under. They don't want the kid to flip through a Hulk book and starting raging through the store.

My Bro banned Hulk from his house because my nephew goes ape sh!t after watching anything Hulk related. He regretted bringing The Avengers home, lol.

This is so true.

I busted a kid for shoplifting in front of his parent and the parent did nothing. I kicked a kid out of a story because he was acting so unruly that it needed to happen. His mother and boyfriend came back and yelled at me for that. As a parent if my daughter ever acted so bad she was kicked out of a store, I wouldn't be yelling at the shopkeeper. But kids and parents seemed to have changed with times and not always in a good way.

Now the sign may simply be a deterent and an enforcement agent. Little Jimmy (Age 9) comes in and never causes problems get to stay, but Little Tommy (Age 9) is a trouble maker and gets tossed out on his rear without a parent there.
LordMikel
Posted: Sunday, December 02, 2012 8:15:58 PM

4saken1 wrote:
Again....the store in question has not banned kids.

Plus, I don't imagine that the owner just up and decided to be a jerk one day and put up a sign! There were probably incidents which led up to this decision. It's easy to judge when you don't know all the facts. If there was a chronic problem with kids damaging comics on the shelves in somebody's store and costing them money, it seems perfectly reasonable for the owner to do this.

He is not a babysitter! If parents want to treat him like one, they should pay him extra for that.

I might think perhaps he is close enough to an elementary school. School lets out and the younger crowd hangs out in his shop for hours waiting for parents to come home. My store was next door to an arcade. We opened at 10, the arcade opened at 11. We had a lot of teenagers hanging out, during school hours, waiting for the arcade to open. Not buying anything else (And probably stealing). We switched our hours to also open at 11.
Jshock80
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 4:23:25 AM

I have read all the posts on here about this topic and I just thought I would add my 2 cents for what it is worth. I feel kids should be allowed in comic stores. because how can you keep the hobby alive without the younger generation being introduced the the hobby and the joy it brings. That being said and yes if you are under the age of 10 you should be accommpanied by your parents or parent, and any parent who just lets the kid wander at that age is just stupid. Now me being a father of a 3yr old, I can tell you I would walk into that comic shop with my son and shop there and I will promise you my son would do absouletly nothing wrong in that store, or any other store for that matter, and I will tell you why because since my son was born I have taught him the single biggest thing that is lacking in kids today it is called RESPECT!!!!. I will share a quick story Last Saturday there was a comic shop doing a Christmas Fundaiser and they had some quests there Scott Snyder, Klaus Janson, Peter David etc. So I decieded it would be fun to tske my son to meet these guys, so we arrive about and 1 and 1/2 early and we do a little shopping the store is packed as to be expected and do you know how many things my son, grabbed, pulled of shelves etc, nothing not one if he wanted to see something he asked me and I would decide to let him hold something and look at some books and if i knew it was worth money or it could possibily be damaged I held it and let him look at it, why because that is parenting and I know right reom wrong as he does and will as he gets older, anyway after waiting in line we get up to Scott Snyder and my son is Holding his Batman Comic and he hands it to Scott and Scott buts his hand out to shake my sons hand, and my son extends his hand and shakes Scott's and says " Nice to Meet you" well you should have seen the look on Scott's face of suprise at what my son just said beacuse how many 3 yrd olds shake hands and say nice to meet you?. I will bet not many, and it all starts at home. If you teach your child the proper manners and the respect that is lost today on americas youth we would not even be having this discussion. I believe in Respect and Manners and right from wrong and I will continue to teach my son that so he can work into any store and know what is right and what is wrong and know how to treat people the right way. That is my take for what it is worth.

Dennis

Thundercron
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 3:09:07 PM

Shop at My Store

Jshock80 wrote:
I have read all the posts on here about this topic and I just thought I would add my 2 cents for what it is worth. I feel kids should be allowed in comic stores. because how can you keep the hobby alive without the younger generation being introduced the the hobby and the joy it brings. That being said and yes if you are under the age of 10 you should be accommpanied by your parents or parent, and any parent who just lets the kid wander at that age is just stupid. Now me being a father of a 3yr old, I can tell you I would walk into that comic shop with my son and shop there and I will promise you my son would do absouletly nothing wrong in that store, or any other store for that matter, and I will tell you why because since my son was born I have taught him the single biggest thing that is lacking in kids today it is called RESPECT!!!!. I will share a quick story Last Saturday there was a comic shop doing a Christmas Fundaiser and they had some quests there Scott Snyder, Klaus Janson, Peter David etc. So I decieded it would be fun to tske my son to meet these guys, so we arrive about and 1 and 1/2 early and we do a little shopping the store is packed as to be expected and do you know how many things my son, grabbed, pulled of shelves etc, nothing not one if he wanted to see something he asked me and I would decide to let him hold something and look at some books and if i knew it was worth money or it could possibily be damaged I held it and let him look at it, why because that is parenting and I know right reom wrong as he does and will as he gets older, anyway after waiting in line we get up to Scott Snyder and my son is Holding his Batman Comic and he hands it to Scott and Scott buts his hand out to shake my sons hand, and my son extends his hand and shakes Scott's and says " Nice to Meet you" well you should have seen the look on Scott's face of suprise at what my son just said beacuse how many 3 yrd olds shake hands and say nice to meet you?. I will bet not many, and it all starts at home. If you teach your child the proper manners and the respect that is lost today on americas youth we would not even be having this discussion. I believe in Respect and Manners and right from wrong and I will continue to teach my son that so he can work into any store and know what is right and what is wrong and know how to treat people the right way. That is my take for what it is worth.

Dennis

Nicely Done!
HeroComics
Posted: Wednesday, December 19, 2012 8:58:36 AM

Shop at My Store

Thundercron wrote:
Jshock80 wrote:

Dennis

Nicely Done!

Props to you, for being such a GREAT Dad!

I'm sure said retailer is NOT trying to deter shoppers like you. I'm sure some unmannered Honey Boo-Boo kids keep coming in and making a mess or damaging merch and need to be shown the door.

If I saw the sign as a parent, I would just take it with the understanding that all kids are not as well mannered as my own, and I would make sure that my own kids behave in a public setting, regardless of wether or not I am there with them.

dagma333
Posted: Friday, December 21, 2012 1:13:38 PM

I have been taking my daughter since before she was 2, now almost 2.5.

However, I keep her close, and make sure she doesn't "buy me" anything via droolage, ripping, crunching etc...

The store owners seem cool with it, thinking perhaps she is the Customer of Tomorrow, lol.
The_Valiant_One
Posted: Friday, December 21, 2012 2:33:06 PM

Groups: CCL Feature Crew, Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Thundercron wrote:

Discuss.

Is the store near a neighborhood or subdivision that has kids that walk from their homes? I would wager this stems from an incident that happened at the store. I think children should ABSOLUTELY be allowed in the shop, but honestly, I would like children that young to have a parent with them. Even some parents that bring their children into a comic shop have to be watched sometimes. They'll pick books off the shelf or let their young children grab books and just toss them around. Seen it ALOT. I have to say it's not cool, but it's probably a wise business move IMO.