Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Batman: the dark knight rise Options
frank666
Posted: Saturday, December 29, 2012 3:19:34 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

To cut it short: the curse of 3rd episode continues.

This movie was by far the weakest compared to the other two. I still consider the first one the best. Why Nolan did this episode is beyond me and I am left in the hope that Man of Steel will be better.
The movie more or less starts off with a rookie detective finding out who Batman is. Come on, wasn't that a little bit over the top. And I am not even talking about the rest of large crowd who knows who Batman is at the end of the movie (all members of the league of shadows etc.).
I mean I, as a long time reader, has to accept that a secret identity in a movie is really a waste of time. The only Superhero left who still has a secret identity is Superman, if you ignore Superman 2.
Somehow Batman wasn't the same as in Batman begins. He was complete wreck and somehow not Batman.
But of course there were good parts. The Bat-bike was improved and the batwing (called THE BAT by Fox) was also brill. And the twist of the plot at the end left me gob smacked.
All in all it was nice to see a DC movie and 2013 will finally see the return of Kal-El and if the trailers are anything to go by, it may be as good as Batman begins.
frank666
Posted: Saturday, December 29, 2012 3:25:58 PM

Also as an after thought.

It was nice to see one and the same villian (and actor) in ALL three films. But you would have to guess who it was. Batting Eyelashes Big Grin
SuperSoldier124
Posted: Saturday, December 29, 2012 5:32:04 PM

Groups: Member

i like it. i watched it for the first the other night and thought it fell inline with the other 2. the 2nd movie is to me the strongest of the 3 movies. were there some silly thing to make fun of? yeah but it's a movie. snyder is doing the bats justice in the books so i'm fine with the movie.

add me on xbox live and PSN

PS3: wartorn11b
360: precious blood1

ShenValleyInitiative
Posted: Saturday, December 29, 2012 8:09:02 PM

I thought it was as good as TDK and in some ways better.

KingZombie
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2012 6:59:04 AM

I thought it was a lame finale to the trilogy. I might watch it again just to count the actual minutes that Bale was on screen as Batman (not very long).

Jim
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2012 10:37:57 AM

It was my second favorite of the films and Tom Hardys performance was right up there with Ledgers. The villain in all three was Scarecrow.

CCL Android app
CCL Android Free app
CCL Windows Phone app
SuperSoldier124
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2012 10:49:53 AM

Jim wrote:
It was my second favorite of the films and Tom Hardys performance was right up there with Ledgers. The villain in all three was Scarecrow.
i had no idea who played bane till i looked on imdb... he was a big SOB in warrior too. i liked that they made bane a little more than a hired thug like in the comics. i mean he was but he was smarter than you're average thug lol

frank666
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2012 12:17:06 PM

Jim wrote:

Hurray Big Grin
Grwurz
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2012 12:30:22 PM

I was also not as impressed with this movie as I was with the other two. I felt the movie got a little bogged down with the entire occupation of Gotham storyline and I really thought the 8 year hiatus of Batman was a little far fetched. I really could have done without the whole rookie cop figuring out that Bruce Wayne was Batman just from the look on Bruce's face.

All that being said, I did enjoy the movie. Bane was great and the first scene was one of the best action sequences I have ever seen. I think the other two movies set the bar so high that this movie was almost destined to be slightly disappointing.

I am still waiting for someone to adapt the Dark Knight Dark City storyline from Batman 452-454. This was one of my favorite Batman storylines of all time and, if done right, could put the Riddler up on the level of the Joker as far as movie villains go.

Free shipping is available on ANY order $40.00 and above. No minimum books necessary. Whether it's 1 book or 100 books. If it's $40.00 or more, it ships FREE!

Also, if you buy 10 or more $1.00 books, all the $1.00 books are 25% off. Effectively making them $.75 books! I've got hundreds of them!

Come take a look!
Grwurz
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2012 12:31:36 PM

frank666 wrote:
Jim wrote:

Hurray Big Grin

Oh, and I was going to mention Cilian Murphy's scarecrow, but it looks like someone beat me to it!

Free shipping is available on ANY order $40.00 and above. No minimum books necessary. Whether it's 1 book or 100 books. If it's $40.00 or more, it ships FREE!

Also, if you buy 10 or more $1.00 books, all the $1.00 books are 25% off. Effectively making them $.75 books! I've got hundreds of them!

Come take a look!
SuperSoldier124
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2012 4:37:09 PM

it is pretty cool that nolan uses the same actors in a lot of his movies. like the gordon-levitts kid, cilian murphy, etc. its kind of like joss whedon.

Grwurz
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2012 4:45:04 AM

SuperSoldier124 wrote:
it is pretty cool that nolan uses the same actors in a lot of his movies. like the gordon-levitts kid, cilian murphy, etc. its kind of like joss whedon.

Except that like 95% of them are British. I was thinking about how many British actors were in the Batman trilogy:

Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Gary Oldman, Tom Hardy, Heath Ledger was Australian but that was once a British colony so that sort of counts. Liam Neeson is Irish and that's close enough. So, pretty much all of the main cast members are British, or from the U.K.

Almost every one of those guys have appeared in other movies by Nolan too.

Come take a look!
SuperSoldier124
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2012 10:41:17 AM

yeah... the British invasion... yay. doesn't help that christan bale is british himself. they got some acting chops though you gotta admit. they're rebooting batman again in 4 years or so anyways. maybe they'll get a good ol' boy from the US to do the american originated batman.

comicuniversity
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2012 11:08:14 AM
Groups: Member, Moderator

This movie had more plot holes than anything aince Independence Day.

1) Gotham is oocupied for 5 months. Gordon and the cops do absolutely nothing for 5 FREAKIN' MONTHS. Then, with 12 hours to go, decide to start doing something. Stupid.

2) Imagine that you are at a football game in New york City (which Gotham essentially is). Its a crowd of 60,000 New Yorkers. Some masked idiot, kills your favorite team, snaps a guys neck and claims the giant bowling ball beside him is a nuclear bomb. would you calmly remain seated throughout his entire speech, then obediently return to your homes for 5 months?

3) Seriously? Noone just uses a cell phone to call the autorities outside of gotham and fill them in on all the details. I mean, Gordon waited untilt the two special forces guys snuck in the city before he had any contact. I never saw Bane confiscate every single cell phone in the entire city. I mean, in a city like Gotham, there'd onyl eb about 10 zillion of them, not to mention twitter and friggin' e-mail.

And...those are just three of the biggies.
KingZombie
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2012 11:58:32 AM

comicuniversity wrote:
This movie had more plot holes than anything aince Independence Day.

1) Gotham is oocupied for 5 months. Gordon and the cops do absolutely nothing for 5 FREAKIN' MONTHS. Then, with 12 hours to go, decide to start doing something. Stupid.

2) Imagine that you are at a football game in New york City (which Gotham essentially is). Its a crowd of 60,000 New Yorkers. Some masked idiot, kills your favorite team, snaps a guys neck and claims the giant bowling ball beside him is a nuclear bomb. would you calmly remain seated throughout his entire speech, then obediently return to your homes for 5 months?

3) Seriously? Noone just uses a cell phone to call the autorities outside of gotham and fill them in on all the details. I mean, Gordon waited untilt the two special forces guys snuck in the city before he had any contact. I never saw Bane confiscate every single cell phone in the entire city. I mean, in a city like Gotham, there'd onyl eb about 10 zillion of them, not to mention twitter and friggin' e-mail.

And...those are just three of the biggies.

LOL! I'll add to this (just cuz it's fun)

4) Pushing a man's spine back into place with just your thumb in a dirty prison and he's able to full recover? That's supposed to be more "realistic"?

5) Said prison seems to have no guards and a HUGE gaping hole to escape from if someone has the ability to jump a not all impossible distance? What the what?
barney
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2012 12:49:24 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

Not to mention the whole "Robin" thing was just plain stupid!
And for someone who became Batman after his parents where killed, suddenly when his ex-girlfriend is killed he decides to quit for eight years and sit around and cry about it.

comicuniversity
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2012 9:21:18 PM
Groups: Member, Moderator

I have never seen an arch villain in a big time hollywood blockbuster go out like more of a punk than Bane did.

He gets shot by an, off camera mind you, catwoman driving the batcycle. And then the scene cuts.

It totally neutered him as a great villain as far as i'm concerned.

talia went out equally unimpressively.

Her truck crashed....and she died. fizzle.
SuperSoldier124
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2012 10:27:45 PM

yeah like how do you not notice a bike with big gun coming??!?!

Grwurz
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2013 5:29:57 AM

All these plot hole posts reminded me of this http://youtu.be/WQJuGeqdbn4

Come take a look!
MoonKnight1
Posted: Wednesday, January 02, 2013 6:24:33 PM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Wow. You all are just totally ruining the movie for me. I haven't seen it yet - my bad!

I can say that I think Batman Begins was probably the best super hero movie in decades, and just a great movie plain and simple.

Dark Knight was good Joker (RIP Heath) but mediocre Two-Face (sorry Eckhart!).

I think that super hero movies in general should use more run-of-the-mill villains for lackeys or occasional one-off fist fights. Such as Doc Ock sending the Beetle or Rhino after Spider-Man to soften him up or the FF taking down Klaw in a short cut sequence. Basically avoiding having to power up the villain like Whiplash/Crimson Dynamo (which one was he supposed to be anyway?) in Iron Man 2 - c'mon that's a second rate minion not a mastermind!

Basically what I'm saying is - movies about super powered heroes should have super powered villains. And you don't have to make them all the main focus. There are plenty of characters out there that can easily be incorporated into a film so we can see Batman take down Killer Moth or Ventriloquist and Scarface.

I can't wait for the upcoming Marvel movie franchise Spider-Man: The Sinister Six with each film introducing one member of the group at a time culminating in the two-part finale! Hey Hollywood! I'm available to write the script!

Fantastic News! Hall of Heroes has now surpassed 600 Hero Ratings! I couldn't have done it without all of you and I will strive to maintain and improve my high standards. Which brings me to my next announcement - starting now, all shipments will come with tracking at no extra charge to you! I'm a little late to the party but as they say - better late than never. You spoke and I heard you loud and clear. Excelsior!

Hall Liquidations