Welcome Guest Active Topics
The "Why Is This Issue Worth So Much?" Thread Options
SwiftMann
Posted: Sunday, December 09, 2012 8:57:38 PM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

LordMikel wrote:
SwiftMann wrote:
I get that Fantastic Four #583-586 were the lead up to the "death" of Johnny issue. And i get that there are a lot less issues for sale on those than other issues. What i don't get are the low to mid teen asking prices here. I can't find evidence of that kind of heat anywhere else online. And what's the deal with #577? Only one cheap copy for sale but one sold for 9.99?

Thanks to anyone who can answer as I'm listing these for sale and want to put realistic prices on them.

Not sure but this is what the issue talks about from a preview. "On the Blue Area of the Moon, the Fantastic Four discover that the history of the Inhumans runs much deeper, and richer, than previously believed."

Wouldn't this be a prelude to War of Kings then? (I think that is the right name of the series.)

Timing isn't right. War of Kings came out a full year (March 2009) earlier than FF #577 (March 2010).

Has DC Done Something Stupid Today?

"The return of beards and 90's fashion makes hipsters and homeless people impossible to tell apart." - Woody, Quantum & Woody #5
frozilla
Posted: Sunday, December 09, 2012 9:25:03 PM

Groups: Member

SwiftMann wrote:
frozilla wrote:
SwiftMann wrote:
I get that Fantastic Four #583-586 were the lead up to the "death" of Johnny issue.

An interesting followup question is "Why is Issue 583(a) generally more than 583(b), the 1:15 variant of the same issue?" If 583a was worth X, then it would stand to reason that a rarer version of 583a would be X+Y, right?

Unless of course, variants really aren't worth more than the normal issue, which I tend to believe ;)

Well... It is a Super Hero Squad cover. Not a ton of demand there regardless of rarity.

But it's still #583, so one would think it would be at least the same as a regular #583? Odd indeed.

Big signatures are REALLY annoying.
Kingsman
Posted: Thursday, December 27, 2012 7:46:25 PM

Can anyone clue me in on this one? I realize it is also a lead-in for Young Avengers, but still. One store on CCL is offering it for over $10 and there was one copy on FeeBay (at the time of this post) being offered at over $20.

SuperSoldier124
Posted: Thursday, December 27, 2012 9:02:17 PM

to be honest i think people ask so much is because its a scarce book. probably not well writen or even part of a cool story but because there's not a whole lot around people ask an arm and a leg for them. next stop at my LCS ill see if i cant find it. i tend to pick up these "scarce" books for cover price there pretty often.

add me on xbox live and PSN

PS3: wartorn11b
360: precious blood1

SwiftMann
Posted: Thursday, December 27, 2012 9:18:38 PM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

SuperSoldier124 wrote:
to be honest i think people ask so much is because its a scarce book. probably not well writen or even part of a cool story but because there's not a whole lot around people ask an arm and a leg for them. next stop at my LCS ill see if i cant find it. i tend to pick up these "scarce" books for cover price there pretty often.

The series, not this particular issue, is actually an awesome story with spectacular art that concludes the original Young Avengers run and leads directly into Avengers vs. X-Men.

That said, I can't figure out why this particular issue is going for bigger bucks than others. It may be the full-blown return of Scarlet Witch, but I'm not 100% sure if that was this issue or not.

Has DC Done Something Stupid Today?

"The return of beards and 90's fashion makes hipsters and homeless people impossible to tell apart." - Woody, Quantum & Woody #5
SuperSoldier124
Posted: Thursday, December 27, 2012 9:32:09 PM

yeah i don't know... i was gone when this came out. sounds like its worth the read though

add me on xbox live and PSN

PS3: wartorn11b
360: precious blood1

4saken1
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2013 1:07:47 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Amazing Spider-Man #700:

Everybody talks about how badly this story sucks, yet it's selling online for $15+ in many cases. Rolling Eyes

ComicVortex

Current specials:

Get 30% Off Select Comics
For every comic you purchase from our 'Bargain Bin' (those priced $1 or less), another comic purchased over $1 will be $30% off (refunded via PayPal). eg. If you purchase 10 'Bargain Bin' books, then 10 books purchased that are each over $1 will recieve this refund, etc.

Free Shipping

Every domestic order of 25 or more comics gets FREE SHIPPING (Media Mail). Though I can't provide Free Shipping on foreign orders, we do offer a $5 refund on postage for purchases of 25 or more comics to foreign countries or a $10 refund if you buy 50 comics (again, foreign orders only).

comicuniversity
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2013 2:43:03 PM
Groups: Member, Moderator

4saken1 wrote:
Amazing Spider-Man #700:

Everybody talks about how badly this story sucks, yet it's selling online for $15+ in many cases. Rolling Eyes

This is really too new to talk about. It is excruciantingly common for a book with no apparent value over any other to hit an initial spike in sales if it generates a lot of "buzz" leading up to it's release.

The buzz leads to a greater print run, because LCS' are ordering more, to accomodate their customers. First, more customers than usual buy the comic and, second, more customers buy multiple copies to re-sell.

The initial high price is 100% artificial in cases like this. What happened is that a lot of people who don't have pull lists or subscription services missed out and are paying higher prices to the people who bought multiple to re-sell and the stores who stocked a bunch away to sell on the secondary market, rather than their stands.

At any rate, in about 2 or 3 months, everyone who missed out and really wants one will have one and the price will drop through the basement as the initial demand is overwhelmed by a suddenly massive supply.

The price on this baby will be right back around cover price in 3 months. I'll bet my car on it.
HarleyQuinnLover
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2013 5:02:38 AM

Here's one: Amazing Spider-Man #601-A

I've been trying to find a copy without breaking double digets for months. ComicCollectorLive shops currently have two listed for $12 and $15.99. eBay has several, cheapest 'Buy It Now' at $19.99 plus shipping. There are a couple auctions under $10 that I am watching, but with shipping they'll be over $10-$15 minimum.

I understand its a J. Scott Campbell cover but there has to be more to it.

Read all about my comic collecting and finds at my blog: www.collectiblehunter.wordpress.com

Follow me on Twitter to talk comics, art, or gaming: @NerdomCome
CCComics
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2013 12:44:41 PM

Also remember that the cover price for Amazing Spider-Man #700 is $7.99 so that's half the cost right there.

Spider-Man
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2013 4:26:40 PM

Groups: Approver, Beta, CR-Management, Member, Subscriber

What's the story on this variant? Why is it going for hundreds of dollars on ebay?

I got this when it came out last year and I think it's an awesome cover. I love it. But why so much?

Signature design by CCL's own DrFate

SpiderFan.org

Thundercron
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2013 6:11:04 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Holy Crap! $540 raw?!? For a 1:50 variant? The only thing I can figure is there was a goof in distribution, and there were very few actually printed/distributed. But that's just speculation.
Tamwood
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2013 6:56:03 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

1) It's got Venom (maybe second in popularity only to Dumbpool)

2) It's got Venom covering an uber-hot chick with a skin-tight symbiote (horny comic book nerd factor)

3) A lot of shops don't really get the 1:50 variants. And they hardly ever come up, because the people who DID get them are typically the horny comic book nerds, with a thing for Venom-Jane.
wpmcclure
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2013 10:27:11 PM

Tamwood wrote:
1) It's got Venom (maybe second in popularity only to Dumbpool

Dumbpool!?!? Hey now be nice! I love how deadpool's character has progressed as of late, especially in uncanny x-force.

Shadowdodger
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2013 10:56:54 PM

wpmcclure wrote:
Tamwood wrote:

Dumbpool!?!? Hey now be nice! I love how deadpool's character has progressed as of late, especially in uncanny x-force.

Hahaha...I'm so far out of the Marvel loop I thought dumbpool was an actual character. Like Lady Deadpool or Kid Deadpool. Now we have Derpy-pool.

Shadowdodger says: "Shop at these fine stores"

Bamf!!!! Hall of Heroes ComicsMD ComicVortex
Comic Hunter Legends Comix and Games Blue Moon Comics Comic Cellar
Tamwood
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2013 11:18:08 PM

wpmcclure wrote:
Tamwood wrote:

That was nice...
scotracycowles
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2013 12:21:36 PM

Why is the new Star Wars #1 so expensive? Was the print run limited in some way?
junkmonkey
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2013 1:19:56 PM

Groups: Media Host, Member, Moderator

How about All New X-Men #3? #1 is normally priced, but then #2 and #3 are at least $5!

Tamwood
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2013 6:36:41 PM

scotracycowles wrote:
Why is the new Star Wars #1 so expensive? Was the print run limited in some way?

Return of the original characters to the series. Alex Ross covers. And Disney's going to yank the license from DH here soon.
wpmcclure
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2013 4:37:14 PM

I love the half sketch cover and was digging the kissing as that's usually so controversial but why is this issue worth so much. I bought a few from a comic book store for a cover price, $2.99 each. Keep the best copy, sell the rest to pay for the first, novel idea, non on feeBay at the time so i put it up and it sold for $36, WTF, why?