Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
My introduction to comic books,.... Options
Emerogork
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 2:00:10 PM
Groups: Member

About 30 years ago, my mother was doing volunteer work at a tag sale of a woman whose husband had died. Apparently he had started collecting comic books. At the end of the sale, she was asked if my mother wanted anything from the leftovers. She picked out a four-bowl set dated from the 50s and two boxes of old comic books.....

During the years the followed, they never left the box and were stored in a closet, in the attic, and even in the cellar.

15 years later, I let some comic book fanatics borrow them to appraise for me. When they were done, they thanked me for letting them browse my collection as they found some impressive prices, some good quality conditions and they were extremely happy just to see and handle them. At that time, the 160 comic books totaled $1600 and I quietly put them back in the box and they quietly went back into isolation albeit with some better respect this time.

About 5 years ago, I purchased the acid free boards and plastic pouches and they again went back into isolation but now in a metal filing cabinet. I marked the date, # and year on back of the boards.

About two weeks ago, I decided to start looking at them again. I realized that these were not some kid's collection or some remnants of subscriptions. They turned out to be select copies, mostly of low numbers, several were first issue.

It was an eye opener when I finally looked up one that showed a 5K price tag on E-bay. I figured that anyone could put any price on an item on e-may but I checked further into it. I found an article about it being sold last year for $250,000! I can dream can't I? Maybe that $5k price might be realistic. It is the #1 copy of "The Avengers" September 1963! Certainly not the 9.6 rating of the one sold but everywhere I go I see impressive numbers.

After a lot of searching, organizing and discussion with a few local shops, I have them in alphabetical order and have an excel worksheet with a lot information about the collection. Up until then, it was a "stack of comic books", now it is a collection. (-:

Although I don’t have the eye to evaluate them, I did a look-up for each of them to record the values. I noted prices for them as if they were G, vg, F, VF, NM, and MT. The totals of the columns are $2,575, $5,102, $8.666, $21,610, $80,844, and $9,940,884 respectively. ( I can dream can't I?) Most of these numbers were from the Nostomania.com web site.

They are mostly in F and VF condition and several up to NM condition as indicated by the evaluators back 10 years ago and a local shop looking at a few of them. Only one has a significant tear on the cover.

I have no intention of buying any more nor am I interested in placing any of them on E-Bay. However, I am considering learning how to bring them to local shows to sell and this I am not in any rush to do.

I am, however, open to discussion in how to deal with them.
Xylob
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 4:09:53 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

you could get them professionally graded/"slabbed", but really the main reason for doing that is to sell them - the "sealed" hard plastic case has debatable preservation qualities...

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
KingZombie
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 6:25:58 PM

Can we see pictures please so as to drool over them? Drooling

Emerogork
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 10:14:20 PM

Xylob wrote:
you could get them professionally graded/"slabbed", but really the main reason for doing that is to sell them - the "sealed" hard plastic case has debatable preservation qualities...

Such hostility, I have, nor did I show, any intention of presenting something other than a correct description of what I have. Nor did I show any intention to sell anything.

What is your point?
Tamwood
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 10:19:40 PM

I'm afraid I do not see the hostility you're accusing him of. You said you were open to discussion as to how to deal with the books, he gave you an option. You can have the books graded, which would increase the value of the books, if/when you do decide to take them to shows in an attempt to sell them in the future.
Emerogork
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 10:20:04 PM

KingZombie wrote:

I can take the pics but will have to figure out how to post them.

OTOH, Maybe I can invite you "up to the lab and see what's on the slab. I see you shiver with antici............. pation"

Emerogork
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 10:22:17 PM

Tamwood wrote:
I'm afraid I do not see the hostility you're accusing him of. You said you were open to discussion as to how to deal with the books, he gave you an option. You can have the books graded, which would increase the value of the books, if/when you do decide to take them to shows in an attempt to sell them in the future.

Mia Culpa. I saw the part under your post suggesting that I would try to sell NM when it is not NM.... Especially since it is in larger than usual print, it looked like yelling...

I am not yet used to this forum...
Xylob
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 10:23:56 PM

no hostility intended, simply stating my views on the subject.
nothing about your intentions implied either - it's often difficult to convey tone or inflection in text, but you may be inferring something not said &/or being overly defensive.

you asked for ways to deal with them, I offered one.
Since you spent a fair amount of time hammering on "value" it seemed you were interested in getting actual values, regardless of your intention to sell or not.

Problems with CCL?
615-264-4747
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

Xylob
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 10:29:02 PM

Emerogork wrote:
...I saw the part under your post suggesting that I would try to sell NM when it is not NM...
That was the signature block under my post (all of my posts actually), and it is a blanket statement to all sellers in the market place here on CCL. I "recently" purchased several comics from a seller here which were all listed as "NM" condition but arrived in very poor condition - when I questioned them about it their response was "what do you expect for 75 cents?" - other sellers have echoed these sentiments from time to time.

Problems with CCL?
615-264-4747

Xylob's Most Wanted:

comicscastle
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 12:03:54 AM

Groups: Approver, Approver Steward, CR-Management, Forum Admin, Grade My Book Host, Guru, History Host, Member, Super Seller, Tool

Shop at My Store

Emerogork wrote:
KingZombie wrote:

OTOH, Maybe I can invite you "up to the lab and see what's on the slab. I see you shiver with antici............. pation"

You never mentioned where you're from. What state are you located in?

The following stores are all stores that I've dealt with or have become friends with through the forums and I highly recommend them all.
Comics Castle-owned & operated by Pat McCauslin
Alpha Comics--ComicVortex--Metropolis Connections 2.0--Comic Cellar

Emerogork
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 6:29:13 PM

comicscastle wrote:
Emerogork wrote:
KingZombie wrote:

OTOH, Maybe I can invite you "up to the lab and seeee what's on the slab. I see you shiver with antici............. pation"

Central Connecticut.

Where are the directions to place pics here?
Might there be a better location than here?
comicscastle
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 7:29:00 PM

Groups: Approver, Approver Steward, CR-Management, Forum Admin, Grade My Book Host, Guru, History Host, Member, Super Seller, Tool

Shop at My Store

Emerogork wrote:
comicscastle wrote:
Emerogork wrote:
KingZombie wrote:

OTOH, Maybe I can invite you "up to the lab and seeee what's on the slab. I see you shiver with antici............. pation"

Central Connecticut.

Go to a site like photobucket (it's free) and post your picture there. Then copy the link to the web address that they provide and paste it here.

The following stores are all stores that I've dealt with or have become friends with through the forums and I highly recommend them all.

comicscastle
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 7:34:45 PM

Shop at My Store

Emerogork wrote:
comicscastle wrote:
Emerogork wrote:
KingZombie wrote:

Central Connecticut.

I'm in central New Jersey. I could drive up and evaluate your collection if you're interested. Once I've seen it I can give you a better idea how to go about selling it, if you want to sell it. I've been collecting comics since 1957 and selling since 1965 through mail order as well as setting up at shows. If you think you might be interested send me a PM and we can work out the details.

Emerogork
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2013 1:36:53 AM

Emerogork wrote:
KingZombie wrote:

OK, I have been designing a web page to show my collection.
I hope it is appropriate to post the URL here...

Ambrofiles.me/comics

Most of it is in tact but some frills need be set.
Comments have not been entered yet.
CrossbowComics
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2013 2:14:32 AM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Hmmm..., I'm about 2 hours north of you. I've got my hands full at this particular moment (+ a little snow on the way) but you can keep me in mind.

future home - TreehouseComicShop.com

CrossbowComics
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2013 2:30:16 AM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Ah, interesting. Those John Wayne's are worth a few bucks. The Avengers 1 is below GD, 1.5 to 1.8 range, although you could get well over guide value for it. Tired old books will sometimes have missing pages & clipped coupons, I'd leaf through anything of value to make sure everything is there.

future home - TreehouseComicShop.com

MoonKnight1
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2013 8:44:02 AM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Xylob wrote:
That was the signature block under my post (all of my posts actually),

Can you tell me how to do the signature block? I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks!
Howie

Fantastic News! Hall of Heroes has now surpassed 600 Hero Ratings! I couldn't have done it without all of you and I will strive to maintain and improve my high standards. Which brings me to my next announcement - starting now, all shipments will come with tracking at no extra charge to you! I'm a little late to the party but as they say - better late than never. You spoke and I heard you loud and clear. Excelsior!

Hall Liquidations

Emerogork
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2013 8:52:43 AM

CrossbowComics wrote:
Ah, interesting. Those John Wayne's are worth a few bucks. The Avengers 1 is below GD, 1.5 to 1.8 range, although you could get well over guide value for it. Tired old books will sometimes have missing pages & clipped coupons, I'd leaf through anything of value to make sure everything is there.

It has been an experience learning about comic books and this collection. I have leafed through them and saw that none have any pagers or coupons missing although one has a serious section of a cover missing. I have heard that this one has no value because of that.

I really got excited there finding that issue with a double cover (Acc#63) before I found out that it is common and does not really increase the value. I saw that the outer cover was very good protection for the inner one. (#75 1953 Hopalong Cassidy Jan-Feb issue )

Gotta get to work on those notes though...
comicscastle
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2013 9:51:24 AM

Shop at My Store

Several of your books are marked wrong as to the issue number. You have two Gene Autry #25 listed. One is actually #33. Also Miss Beverly Hills is listed as #4. It's actually #1, although with the two large chunks out of the cover it doesn't matter much as far as value goes. Most of the older books have so much writing, chipping, water stains and all around wear that they don't grade much better than fair. A few might be good and others are closer to poor (Straight Arrow #1). At first I thought the Young Men might be in nice shape, and then I saw all the pencil marks on them. Things like that are killers. Even the books from the sixties are no better than VG. While there are some good books most of these are low demand and very hard to move for anything close to Guide value. If you try to sell these at a local show please keep this in mind. You might have trouble making enough to pay your table fee. The westerns will sell better on eBay than at shows. Westerns sell terribly on the east coast.

I sent you PM with an offer on a couple books as well as the entire lot. If you decide to pass I wish you luck with them, no matter what you decide to do.

Emerogork
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2013 12:04:04 PM

comicscastle wrote:
Several of your books are marked wrong as to the issue number. You have two Gene Autry #25 listed. One is actually #33. Also Miss Beverly Hills is listed as #4. It's actually #1, although with the two large chunks out of the cover it doesn't matter much as far as value goes. Most of the older books have so much writing, chipping, water stains and all around wear that they don't grade much better than fair. A few might be good and others are closer to poor (Straight Arrow #1). At first I thought the Young Men might be in nice shape, and then I saw all the pencil marks on them. Things like that are killers. Even the books from the sixties are no better than VG. While there are some good books most of these are low demand and very hard to move for anything close to Guide value. If you try to sell these at a local show please keep this in mind. You might have trouble making enough to pay your table fee. The westerns will sell better on eBay than at shows. Westerns sell terribly on the east coast.

I sent you PM with an offer on a couple books as well as the entire lot. If you decide to pass I wish you luck with them, no matter what you decide to do.

Thanks for the notes on errors. I do have duplicates to which I marked them as "A" or "B". I will check your suggestions.

I am still in the amusement stage and will probably not be offering them for sale soon. I have thought of a local sale and have two colleagues that may assist.

As for conditions, do you mean that I am not going to be able to retire on them> (-: