Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Unauthorized Access when trying to Back-Up Files Options
Thundercron
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2013 12:20:47 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

So we just did a Mind-Wipe on the computer this week. Restored all the old files and re-installed the CCL software. Opened up the software just fine, everything as it should be.

After loading more books to my collection, I tried to close out and back up the files as normal, but was met with an "Unauthorized Access!" box, after which the program closes. Never had this happen before. Any thoughts?

On a side note, I was still able to open up the software again, with all my additions still intact (even though it wasn't backed up). Which makes me wonder why the files have to be backed up in the first place if it's somehow being saved anyway. Or will I lose all my new data if I turn off the computer?
scotteaves
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2013 1:25:19 PM

Groups: Approver, Approver Moderator, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Guru, Member, Subscriber

Thundercron wrote:

On a side note, I was still able to open up the software again, with all my additions still intact (even though it wasn't backed up). Which makes me wonder why the files have to be backed up in the first place if it's somehow being saved anyway. Or will I lose all my new data if I turn off the computer?

No, you won't lose all your new data. The new data is being saved to the comicdata.sdf file. That's the primary data file. The backups are created in the event your comicdata.sdf file get corrupted. They are stored in the Backup folder in the format of CCL_Backup_xxxxxxxxxxx.ccl where the x's represent a date and time(?) stamp.

As far as why it's failing on the backup, I'm not sure. First thing that comes to mind is permissions to the backup folder. Does it fail every time? Check the Backup folder under My Documents\ComicCollectorLive (if you have your data in the default directory) and see if they are getting created.

Thundercron
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2013 1:43:10 AM

Shop at My Store

I tried to create a new folder to back the files into, and my system says I do not have permissions to change settings (create new folders). The thing that doesn't make any sense is that the computer says I already have administration permissions (as indicated in the User Account Settings), so I don't see what the problem is.
scotteaves
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2013 8:52:09 AM

Groups: Approver, Approver Moderator, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Guru, Member, Subscriber

Where did you try and create the new folder (full path please)?
What version of Windows?

It does seem odd. The desktop software obviously has all the proper rights to write to your database file.

Thundercron
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2013 8:17:52 PM

Shop at My Store

Windows 7 (I believe).

Here's the path: C:\Users\Daddy\Desktop\Comic Collector Live
wpmcclure
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2013 8:22:54 PM

Groups: Member

Thundercron wrote:
Windows 7 (I believe).

You installed on your desktop, haha, man. The default install location for the db is usually your my documents folder. Try logging into your newly installed system as system admin and give "daddy" elevated rights to the system to see if that resolves the write issue.

scotteaves
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2013 9:01:13 PM

wpmcclure wrote:
Thundercron wrote:
Windows 7 (I believe).

You installed on your desktop, haha, man. The default install location for the db is usually your my documents folder. Try logging into your newly installed system as system admin and give "daddy" elevated rights to the system to see if that resolves the write issue.

Shouldn't matter as a user has full access to write to their own desktop and their Documents folder.

CuriousGoodsNComics
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2013 9:31:54 PM

Groups: Member

scotteaves wrote:
wpmcclure wrote:
Thundercron wrote:
Windows 7 (I believe).

Shouldn't matter as a user has full access to write to their own desktop and their Documents folder.

make sure your logging into your comp with the admin account...
Thundercron
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 2:22:17 PM

Shop at My Store

Okay, I just logged in to CCL using the primary computer account. Took about an hour to go through all the notifications. I then closed the program, and same deal--Unauthorized Access to save the backup.

Anything else? Would uninstalling the program and re-installing help? Or would I lose all my most recent data?
SwiftMann
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 3:01:22 PM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Thundercron wrote:
Okay, I just logged in to CCL using the primary computer account. Took about an hour to go through all the notifications. I then closed the program, and same deal--Unauthorized Access to save the backup.

Anything else? Would uninstalling the program and re-installing help?

Doubt it. This is about writing the back-up to where ever it is your trying to save it. Has nothing to do with the software.

I back mine up to an external hard drive, so there's some way to define the path. (I'm at work, so I don't remember how you do that.) Pick another place you know you have access.

Has DC Done Something Stupid Today?

"The return of beards and 90's fashion makes hipsters and homeless people impossible to tell apart." - Woody, Quantum & Woody #5
LadyJay
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 9:19:11 PM

Groups: Approver, CR-Policies, Member, Moderator, Super Hero Showdown Host

SwiftMann wrote:
Thundercron wrote:

Doubt it. This is about writing the back-up to where ever it is your trying to save it. Has nothing to do with the software.

I back mine up to an external hard drive, so there's some way to define the path. (I'm at work, so I don't remember how you do that.) Pick another place you know you have access.

I don't have the software up at the moment. As best I can recal...

Select the little Gear option at the top left of the window in the software. The window that opens up will offer several options. Select "Location Path" (or something like that). This page allows you to define where you want to save both your CCL file and your backups. Set the backup path to a folder that you know you have permissions for and will remember if you need your back up. Make sure to save the new path.

EDIT: You can also get to the "Gear" button by Clicking on the CCL button at the top left corner of the Software window. The "gear" button (Options) is at the bottom of the window that opens up. If I recall correctly it's on the bottom right.

SwiftMann
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 10:15:52 PM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

LadyJay wrote:
SwiftMann wrote:
Thundercron wrote:

I don't have the software up at the moment. As best I can recal...

Select the little Gear option at the top left of the window in the software. The window that opens up will offer several options. Select "Location Path" (or something like that). This page allows you to define where you want to save both your CCL file and your backups. Set the backup path to a folder that you know you have permissions for and will remember if you need your back up. Make sure to save the new path.

EDIT: You can also get to the "Gear" button by Clicking on the CCL button at the top left corner of the Software window. The "gear" button (Options) is at the bottom of the window that opens up. If I recall correctly it's on the bottom right.

Pretty much nailed it Jane.

Another option is by...
Click the big planet looking circle in the software.
Click Data.
Click Backup Data.
Select exactly where you want it to go. Any drive. Right on the Desktop. Even make your own new folder.

Has DC Done Something Stupid Today?

"The return of beards and 90's fashion makes hipsters and homeless people impossible to tell apart." - Woody, Quantum & Woody #5
Joe
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 9:00:01 AM

Groups: CCL Feature Crew, Forum Admin, Member, Subscriber

Thanks for helping out the community folks.

Try right clicking the CCL icon, and select "run as Administrator." Then see if you can make a back up.

You are for sure having a rights problem. The fact that you can not make a folder on your desktop means that somewhere along the line, permissions have changed not allowing you to write to your desktop. You may need a permissions expert to help you get things back the way they should be.

JB

Joe Butler
Founder / CEO
Comic Collector Live

The leader should be the person capable of abstract thought!
(From the movie "O' Brother where art thou")

http://www.ComicCollectorLive.com

Thundercron
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2013 2:29:11 PM

Shop at My Store

Joe wrote:
Thanks for helping out the community folks.

Try right clicking the CCL icon, and select "run as Administrator." Then see if you can make a back up.

You are for sure having a rights problem. The fact that you can not make a folder on your desktop means that somewhere along the line, permissions have changed not allowing you to write to your desktop. You may need a permissions expert to help you get things back the way they should be.

JB

That did it!!Applause

Thanks to everyone's input on my computer problem, it's nice to have a community to fall back on when problems arise.

And it's comforting to know that this little episode will always be remembered in Xylob's signature.Anxious
Xylob
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2013 4:18:56 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

Winking
Except Xylob will call you "Big Daddy"...
Tongue

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
scotteaves
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2013 4:19:46 PM

Thundercron wrote:

And it's comforting to know that this little episode will always be remembered in Xylob's signature.Anxious

Heh. Rolling on the Floor

Thundercron
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2013 5:45:17 PM

Shop at My Store

Xylob wrote:
Winking
Except Xylob will call you "Big Daddy"...
Tongue

What...?! Where'd it go?? Bait and switch! Bait and switch!