Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
In the box - or loose? Options
MoonKnight1
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2013 5:45:25 PM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

When I was a kid during the 70's and 80's I was in on the ground floor for all of the classic toys: G. I. Joe, Star Wars, Transformers, Voltron and Thundercats to name a few. I would tear open the packaging and immediately add the figure to my army. I always tried to keep all of the accessories, etc. and after a while I held on to the box or card as well. Eventually I started keeping things in their packaging for display.

Which brings me to my point. A couple years ago I started buying and selling toys on line and have discovered that there are two basic kinds of toy collectors - those who buy loose items and those who only buy carded or unopened figures. Now I would never suggest that one side is right and the other wrong so I ask you - what do you prefer?

Oh, I almost forgot about the third kind of collector. The Customizer! These people have some kind of imagination for starters and I suspect some type of obsessive / compulsive tendencies. Almost invariably I find one or two Frankensteined figures when I acquire a new collection.

Fantastic News! Hall of Heroes has now surpassed 600 Hero Ratings! I couldn't have done it without all of you and I will strive to maintain and improve my high standards. Which brings me to my next announcement - starting now, all shipments will come with tracking at no extra charge to you! I'm a little late to the party but as they say - better late than never. You spoke and I heard you loud and clear. Excelsior!

Now with 1,500+ positive feedback on the four letter site!
Standing offer to all CCL Members - every purchase you make from my other store (link below) earns you at least one freebie of my choice! If you purchase from Hall Liquidations send a PM to Hall of Heroes and let me know! Thanks!

Hall Liquidations

Xylob
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2013 6:23:18 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

MoonKnight1 wrote:
Which brings me to my point. A couple years ago I started buying and selling toys on line and have discovered that there are two basic kinds of toy collectors - those who buy loose items and those who only buy carded or unopened figures. Now I would never suggest that one side is right and the other wrong so I ask you - what do you prefer?...
I prefer a complete figure at the best price.
The overwhelming majority of my figures are displayed out of the package. I generally open all figs I buy within a couple days (usually as soon as I get them home or the delivery package is opened).
When I'm searching online I don't look for loose or MISB/MOSC, just complete and "cheap".

I do have a ton of earlier Manga Spawn figs that are still in their original packages though - I worked in retail and would scour the stock rooms and receiving area almost daily looking for chase variants...
I've got a few other miscellaneous figs in the package too, most I'm looking to get rid of like the Spawn figs.

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
er07
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2013 6:57:33 PM

Groups: Member

I open most of mine for display. Keeping everything carded makes you run out of room quick. I do have a few which I kept carded but not many. Like last year I found at an estate sale a lot of vintage Star Wars vehicles loose with their original boxes at an excellent price. I have them in the box and displayed but it has to be something I remember as a child to make it special enough to take up prime real-estate in my office.
Xylob
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2013 7:25:42 PM

er07 wrote:
...Keeping everything carded makes you run out of room quick...
No doubt there - our utility/laundry room would be a lot more spacious if it weren't for all my previously mentioned late 90s 'speculator' buys.

Problems with CCL?
615-264-4747
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

fenix1977
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2013 11:26:27 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

Most of mine are still in their packages. Unless I get it off Ebay already open my stuff tends to stay "mint".

Mad Bloggings

Shadowdodger
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2013 12:50:13 AM

I tend to fall in the keep it sealed category. I'd say about 90-95% of my collection is MISB. I just love the way they look displayed on my wall. Of course I've run into the "real estate" problem and have to reconfigure everything so I can maximize the space. I was really into the McFarlane stuff in the 90's and early 00's and would sometimes buy 2 of the same fig so I could open one and keep the other sealed.

Funny little side story: My kids had a sleepover last weekend and when they showed their friends "my room" they asked: "Aren't you ever going to open any of them?" I quickly replied "nope." They just couldn't wrap their minds around a room semi-full of sealed toys.

Shadowdodger says: "Shop at these fine stores"

Bamf!!!! Hall of Heroes ComicsMD ComicVortex
Comic Hunter Legends Comix and Games Blue Moon Comics Comic Cellar
RingTail
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2013 1:10:49 PM

It depends on the figure for me. If the packaging is really sharp looking and displays the figure better than I could opening and posing them, I will leave them in the box for display. Most of the time, I remove them from the box, pose them and store the empty box in a giant box in the back of my closet just in case I ever have to pack them away for a move or decide I want to display them in their box if the arrangement of thier current display area changes. Like Xylob, I usually purchase mine complete in box at the best price I can find. Even if it is in "used" condition, as long as it is complete and undamaged.

fenix1977
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2013 6:54:19 PM

I find it is easier to dust when they are left in the box..a quick swipe with a swiffer duster and bam!

Mad Bloggings

Xylob
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2013 8:54:09 PM

a can of air works quite well on the loose figs though

Problems with CCL?
615-264-4747

Xylob's Most Wanted:

blackcat2006
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2013 1:56:09 AM

nuff said.
Xylob
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2013 7:29:51 AM

You wouldn't happen to be a Marvel fan, would you?

Problems with CCL?
615-264-4747

Xylob's Most Wanted:

Shadowdodger
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2013 8:03:27 AM

HOLY CRAP!

Applause Nerd Drooling

That's awesome!

Shadowdodger says: "Shop at these fine stores"

Bamf!!!! Hall of Heroes ComicsMD ComicVortex
Comic Hunter Legends Comix and Games Blue Moon Comics Comic Cellar
MoonKnight1
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2013 5:03:24 PM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

blackcat2006 wrote:

nuff said.

That. Is. Awesome!

Wendy, you are my hero.

Howie

Fantastic News! Hall of Heroes has now surpassed 600 Hero Ratings! I couldn't have done it without all of you and I will strive to maintain and improve my high standards. Which brings me to my next announcement - starting now, all shipments will come with tracking at no extra charge to you! I'm a little late to the party but as they say - better late than never. You spoke and I heard you loud and clear. Excelsior!

Now with 1,500+ positive feedback on the four letter site!
Standing offer to all CCL Members - every purchase you make from my other store (link below) earns you at least one freebie of my choice! If you purchase from Hall Liquidations send a PM to Hall of Heroes and let me know! Thanks!

Hall Liquidations

kevscomics
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2013 6:42:56 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

^^^ yeah, what he said, that is am amazing collection...
fenix1977
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2013 12:45:26 AM

That is freaking super sweet!

Mad Bloggings

supernerdy
Posted: Tuesday, March 05, 2013 8:02:47 PM

I keep mine sealed. As a kid I used to rip open the packaging and toss them around, but once I realized theres value in them later on, I stopped destroying the packaging entirely.
deadpoolgun96
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2013 10:53:04 AM

I sold most of my old figures most are G1 transformers,& a Iron man here and there,but ever since i was a kid i have wanted my own Deadpool figure, anyone know how i can buy one here, all i get when i look up deadpool at the shop here is deadpool comics
crackerjack1
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2013 11:30:45 AM

deadpoolgun96 wrote:
I sold most of my old figures most are G1 transformers,& a Iron man here and there,but ever since i was a kid i have wanted my own Deadpool figure, anyone know how i can buy one here, all i get when i look up deadpool at the shop here is deadpool comics

There have been a few Deadpool figures over the years. The below are the ones that stick out in my mind though. I don't think any of them are available here on CCL now though:

3 3/4"
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
Marvel Universe (3-Packs)

6"
Marvel Legends (Series 6)
Marvel Legends (Epic Heroes)

Current Pull List

Ongoing Series

All-New Ultimates, All-New X-Men, Amazing Spider-Man, Amazing X-Men, Angel & Faith, Avengers, Avengers World, Batman, Batman Eternal, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Cyclops, Daredevil, Earth 2, East of West, Fantastic Four, Flash, Ghostbusters, Guardians of the Galaxy, Harley Quinn, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, Injustice, Iron Fist, Justice League, Lazarus, Mega Man, Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man, New Avengers, New Warriors, Nova, Rocket Raccoon, Scooby-Doo, Scooby-Doo Team-Up, Sinestro, Superior Foes of Spider-Man, Teen Titans, Teen Titans Go!, TMNT, TMNT New Animated Adventures, Tomb Raider, Ultimate Spider-Man, Uncanny Avengers, Uncanny X-Men, WWE Superstars, X-Men

Mini Series

Danger Girl: Mayday, Figment, Original Sin, Super Secret Crisis War, Superman Unchained, Tiny Titans: Return to the Treehouse, TMNT: Turtles in Time

All Spider-Man and TMNT Appearances and Variants