Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
How do you feel about Marvel's Ultimate universe? Options
DZyFX0
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2013 5:56:04 PM

Groups: Member

One of my favorite Spiderman lines was Ultimate Spiderman. As of now I'm actually attempting to collect all 160 issues. I have about 22 issues. I know it's not much but I'm working on it.

Anyway, I have about 1/3 of Ultimate Fantastic Four and I don't dislike it. I have a few spare issues on Ultimate X-Men. I actually do like Ultimate Storm. One of my favorite Storms.

How do you feel about the Ultimate universe and, if you do, do you have a favorite line or character from that universe?

Thundercron
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2013 6:16:24 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Good topic. I've been wondering for a while now, as regards to the Ultimate Universe--what the heck happened?? Back in the early 2000's, it took comics by storm. Then it seemed that every title seemed to hit--first Spider-Man, then X-Men, then Fantastic Four. It became so popular that there were rumors Marvel would scrap the existing Marvel Universe and focus exclusively on the new Ultimate line.

Then the next thing I knew, they were ending all the titles and killing off most of the characters. Then they started over with all new issues, then they suddenly had ANOTHER death of Spider-Man story arc.

Yeah--so what happened? Everything seemed to be going so well....
DZyFX0
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2013 6:28:00 PM

Right? I love Ultimate Spiderman. I'm on the 'Ultimate' hunt for all the issues. It saddens me that I see comic book stores throw them in "grab bags' or the '15 cent' section. I still dig through those to find them but I feel they still deserve a less demeaning spot.

Alarion
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2013 6:57:07 PM

I haven't read any of them - so I can't comment but so much. I think the problem with these kinds of "alternatives" to the mainstream timelines/universes is that some of us feel like they are knock-offs. I mean, you got Spider-Man, and you got Ultimate Spider-Man. But Spider-Man is the *real* spidey, you know?

That said, I do like that they opened the door for alternative takes on the marvel universe - it's just not for everyone. However, I may just go pick up a few and give them a shot now. Thanks for the idea!
DZyFX0
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2013 7:00:24 PM

Alarion wrote:
I haven't read any of them - so I can't comment but so much. I think the problem with these kinds of "alternatives" to the mainstream timelines/universes is that some of us feel like they are knock-offs. I mean, you got Spider-Man, and you got Ultimate Spider-Man. But Spider-Man is the *real* spidey, you know?

That said, I do like that they opened the door for alternative takes on the marvel universe - it's just not for everyone. However, I may just go pick up a few and give them a shot now. Thanks for the idea!

I totally get what you're saying and I agree but for the people who did read and enjoy the Ultimate universe, it was disappointing to see how this universe just slowly died down.

BurningDoom
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2013 8:19:18 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

I LOVED Hickman's Ultimate stuff (Ultimates 1 & 2, and Ultimate Fantastic Four up until just after issue #32). That stuff was very well written and the characters felt like genuine people.

But most of the other Ultimate stuff, is pretty forgettable, IMO.

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
DZyFX0
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2013 8:56:35 PM

BurningDoom wrote:
I LOVED Hickman's Ultimate stuff (Ultimates 1 & 2, and Ultimate Fantastic Four up until just after issue #32). That stuff was very well written and the characters felt like genuine people.

But most of the other Ultimate stuff, is pretty forgettable, IMO.

What about Ultimate Spiderman? I know there are countless Spiderman lines with a different adjective but Ultimate Spiderman is what the name implies, 'ultimate'. I'm not saying it's the best but it was very good.

I do agree with you on Ultimate Fantastic Four 100%.

Ultimate X-men I never got into but I have a few issues and they were alright. If I had more I probably would have liked it.

4saken1
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2013 10:11:34 PM

I like most Ultimate stuff more than 616. It pretty much sucked a$$ around Ultimatum, though, so there's a bit of a rough patch between 2008 and 2010. Didn't like the 2009 USM series at all, mostly because of the art. I'm really digging the current titles, though, especially Ultimates (USM is good, too).

ComicVortex

Current specials:

Get 30% Off Select Comics
For every comic you purchase from our 'Bargain Bin' (those priced $1 or less), another comic purchased over $1 will be $30% off (refunded via PayPal). eg. If you purchase 10 'Bargain Bin' books, then 10 books purchased that are each over $1 will recieve this refund, etc.

Free Shipping

Every domestic order of 25 or more comics gets FREE SHIPPING (Media Mail). Though I can't provide Free Shipping on foreign orders, we do offer a $5 refund on postage for purchases of 25 or more comics to foreign countries or a $10 refund if you buy 50 comics (again, foreign orders only).

junkmonkey
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2013 10:41:50 PM

Groups: Media Host, Member, Moderator

I've got around 20 issues of Ultimate Spider-Man from the first volume. Pretty good stuff, and the video game was fun as heck. The only Ultimate FF stuff I have are the two Marvel Zombie arcs, which were very cool. As far as Ultimate X-Men goes, I'm about 20 issues shy of the full run. I have from #34 to #98 I believe. Reading them all in a row was cool, and my favorite arc was the Apocalypse arc. It was written by Robert Kirkman and is a cool take on the villain. Gonna work on finishing that run up this year. Haven't read anything past Ultimatum though.

BurningDoom
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2013 11:19:27 PM

DZyFX0 wrote:
What about Ultimate Spiderman? I know there are countless Spiderman lines with a different adjective but Ultimate Spiderman is what the name implies, 'ultimate'. I'm not saying it's the best but it was very good.

It always felt like the B-squad Spider-Man to me. The main Marvel Universe Spider-Man books have been, for the most part, better during most of that time. Back in Black, Brand New Day, and New Ways to Die specifically stick out to me during that period.

fenix1977
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2013 11:29:41 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

My experience with the Ultimate lines are limited to well..the Ultimates. I dropped the Ulitimate titles on my pull list first when I was trimming my list down. Not because I found them lacking in any way but more because I was not as attached to the series.

Mad Bloggings

SuperSoldier124
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2013 11:44:36 PM

i thought the ultimate universe was fun. i loved the zombies in ultimate FF and the new twist in the ultimate spidey books like GG and venom... honestly i only got into it because mark bagley was drawing it.

add me on xbox live and PSN

PS3: wartorn11b
360: precious blood1

tb4020
Posted: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 1:16:36 AM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

Gotta throw in my two cents. For some reason when I first heard about the Ultimate comics as a whole, I immediately did not like them even before reading any of them. I now proudly say that I have collected every Ultimate title with the exception of the newest spiderman. I really liked spiderman and fantastic four but really liked x-men. The actual Ultimates runs were pretty good. Overall though, I think my favorite is the mini runs that tie in like ultimate nightmare, extinction, enemy, etc.
inhumanking
Posted: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 7:00:28 AM

BurningDoom wrote:
I LOVED Hickman's Ultimate stuff (Ultimates 1 & 2, and Ultimate Fantastic Four up until just after issue #32)

Mark Millar wrote Ultimates 1 & 2, and most of Ultimate FF (with a little help from Warren Ellis & Mike Carey). Millar's stuff is entertaining & I liked both Ultimates series; haven't read the Ult. FF run yet.

Hickman wrote Ultimate Comics: Thor, Ultimate Comics: Hawkeye, portions of Ultimate Comics: Fallout (5 issues, I think) and Ultimate Comics: Ultimates (at least a 12 issue run).

Hickman could be the best comics writer working today. I'm in awe of his storytelling... (that might not be saying much, sometimes I'm easy to please).

BurningDoom
Posted: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 11:43:24 AM

inhumanking wrote:
BurningDoom wrote:
I LOVED Hickman's Ultimate stuff (Ultimates 1 & 2, and Ultimate Fantastic Four up until just after issue #32)

Mark Millar wrote Ultimates 1 & 2, and most of Ultimate FF (with a little help from Warren Ellis & Mike Carey). Millar's stuff is entertaining & I liked both Ultimates series; haven't read the Ult. FF run yet.

Hickman wrote Ultimate Comics: Thor, Ultimate Comics: Hawkeye, portions of Ultimate Comics: Fallout (5 issues, I think) and Ultimate Comics: Ultimates (at least a 12 issue run).

Hickman could be the best comics writer working today. I'm in awe of his storytelling... (that might not be saying much, sometimes I'm easy to please).

Oops. Then I mean the Millar stuff. I HATED "Ultimate Comics" titles. It was just too over the top and trying for shock-value over actual good story writing.

SuperSoldier124
Posted: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 12:44:16 PM

The ultimate wolverine vs hulk was awesome. Best of the ultimate universe IMO

add me on xbox live and PSN

PS3: wartorn11b
360: precious blood1

Grwurz
Posted: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 2:41:05 PM

I was on Ultimate Spider-Man almost from the beginning. It was great for the first 50 or so issues, Ultimate Fantastic Four was just ok, and I never really got too into the Ultimate X-men. The last straw for me with the Ultimate Universe was the year or so wait for Ultimate Hulk Vs. Wolverine 2.

Now, the Ultimate universe is a mess. There is an Ultimate Spider-man comic that has nothing to do with the Ultimate Universe. The Ultimate Universe spider-man isn't Peter Parker and the Ultimates seems like just another version of the Avengers.

So I'm not too excited about it anymore.

Free shipping is available on ANY order $40.00 and above. No minimum books necessary. Whether it's 1 book or 100 books. If it's $40.00 or more, it ships FREE!

Also, if you buy 10 or more $1.00 books, all the $1.00 books are 25% off. Effectively making them $.75 books! I've got hundreds of them!

Come take a look!
jrpeevyhouse
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2013 8:52:57 PM

I actually like the Ultimate universe more than I do the regular. I don't have many issues, but I have all the trade paperbacks of Spiderman and X-Men and about half the Fantastic Fours.
4saken1
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2013 5:20:11 PM

One thing I was really hoping to see in the Ultimate Universe was a little more realism WRT to aging, but it seems to be even worse! In the 160 issues until his untimely death, I'm not sure if Ultimate Peter Parker even aged a day.

ComicVortex

Current specials:

Get 30% Off Select Comics
For every comic you purchase from our 'Bargain Bin' (those priced $1 or less), another comic purchased over $1 will be $30% off (refunded via PayPal). eg. If you purchase 10 'Bargain Bin' books, then 10 books purchased that are each over $1 will recieve this refund, etc.

Free Shipping

Every domestic order of 25 or more comics gets FREE SHIPPING (Media Mail). Though I can't provide Free Shipping on foreign orders, we do offer a $5 refund on postage for purchases of 25 or more comics to foreign countries or a $10 refund if you buy 50 comics (again, foreign orders only).

The_Ghost
Posted: Wednesday, March 20, 2013 4:11:53 PM

Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Media Host, Member, Moderator

I am proud to say that I dont own even one Ultimate title. However, I did put Ultimate Wolverine on my pull list just for kicks.

Hey, true believers! Join your fellow comic book and sci-fi lovers on my NERD NATION Facebook page! Join us today and get your nerd on!
Nerd Nation