Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Great Cosmic Comic Recommendations Options
BurningDoom
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2013 7:13:33 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

I'm hungry for more cosmic comic stories!

I've always loved the cosmic scene over at DC Comics. I think it's pretty well-known around here that I'm a HUGE Green Lantern fan and have been for a very long time. I'm also a big fan of Darkseid and the New Gods. Superman's cosmic stuff has always been great. And I'm one of the only fans of Darkstars. Crisis on Infinite Earths was one of the greatest tales ever told, IMO. And anything involving the DC Multiverse I'm drawn to.

Over at Marvel I'm a big fan of Captain Marvel, Adam Warlock, Quasar, Nova, and Thanos. The Infinity Gauntlet and Infinity War are 2 of my favorite stories of all time. And despite everyone seeming to grumble about it, I REALLY like War of Kings.

So considering all that. What are some great cosmic comics that I'm missing out on? Stories that follow that same sort of grandiose storytelling style of the stuff I mentioned above?

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
LordMikel
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2013 9:47:15 PM
Groups: Member

Did you ever try Guardians of the Galaxy? Not the current version but the one that came out in the ... 80's. Late or 90's? Whenever.

Also if you've never read it, try the Avenger's Galactic Storm series. I think there is a trade of it.
dunleavy75
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2013 5:54:01 AM

Kree/Skrull War, Annihilation, both runs of Guardians of the Galaxy, Nova, Warlock (series), The Death of Captain Marvel. Also, X-Men: Rise and Fall of the Shi'Ar Empire was fantastic!

Shop at - ComicsCastle - AlphaComics - TreeHouse
junkmonkey
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2013 6:44:26 AM

Groups: Media Host, Member, Moderator

Operation: Galactic Storm was like a sequel to the Kree/Skrull War. It's like a 20 part cross-over involving Cap, the Avengers, West Coast Avengers, Quasar, Wonder-Man, Iron Man, and maybe another book.

BurningDoom
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2013 12:08:34 PM

Operation: Galactic Storm is sounding pretty good. Might have to track those down.

MoonKnight1
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2013 12:47:48 PM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

I think I've got the whole set somewhere. Was going to list it on the other place. It was an Avengers family crossover, the only one junkmonkey missed was Thor. I loved the storyline. Not only was it epic space action but there were actually lasting consequences from it. If you haven't read it then I won't give anything away but in the end there was a schism between certain members of the Avengers that might seem quite familiar. Captain America on one side and Iron Man on the other...? This was fifteen years before Civil War mind you. Tons of aliens, space battles, obscure characters. One of the early crossovers that actually hit the mark and didn't seem contrived.

Fantastic News! Hall of Heroes has now surpassed 600 Hero Ratings! I couldn't have done it without all of you and I will strive to maintain and improve my high standards. Which brings me to my next announcement - starting now, all shipments will come with tracking at no extra charge to you! I'm a little late to the party but as they say - better late than never. You spoke and I heard you loud and clear. Excelsior!

Now with 1,500+ positive feedback on the four letter site!
Standing offer to all CCL Members - every purchase you make from my other store (link below) earns you at least one freebie of my choice! If you purchase from Hall Liquidations send a PM to Hall of Heroes and let me know! Thanks!

Hall Liquidations

junkmonkey
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2013 11:58:19 AM

Groups: Media Host, Member, Moderator

Dang, I knew I missed one. I have the first few parts, I'll have to look for the rest.

Thundercron
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2013 1:47:26 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

I really enjoyed the Spaceknights limited series from the early 2000's. Of course, I'm a huge ROM fan, so maybe I'm biased. But it was written by Jim Starlin, and is a cosmic story, so that's a pretty good recommendation. For some strange reason, Marvel reprinted the five issues just a few months back in a three issue miniseries. Hopefully Marvel reprinted it because they have something brewing on the horizon that ties in with it....
dunleavy75
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2013 10:38:49 PM

Thanos limited series (2003) and Marvel: The End, as well. Galactic Storm is a good one to read in trade.

BurningDoom
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2013 10:50:18 PM

Marvel: The End was great! It was like the unofficial sequel to Infinity Gauntlet. Got that one in trade.

Thanos looks great. Might take me a little while to track those down at a good price, though. I'd rather hold out for cheap finds than pay what they're going for online.

MoonKnight1
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2013 8:54:04 AM

Shop at My Store

Have you read Hardcore Station from DC? It was a six issue mini series in 1998 and I really enjoyed it. Of course, I would read a phone book if Jim Starlin wrote and illustrated it...

Green Lantern - Kyle Raynor - as well as the JLA make guest appearances but it mainly focuses on a remote space station and it's residents. Kind of reminds me a little bit of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine mixed with Babylon 5 and some super heroes thrown in for good measure. Entertaining read and probably pretty cheap and easy to locate.

I will echo the sentiment on Marvel: The End. Great Thanos stuff and Jim Starlin once again. If he wrote the copy for the backs of cereal boxes my house would be filled with Count Chocula, Kix and Froot Loops!

Fantastic News! Hall of Heroes has now surpassed 600 Hero Ratings! I couldn't have done it without all of you and I will strive to maintain and improve my high standards. Which brings me to my next announcement - starting now, all shipments will come with tracking at no extra charge to you! I'm a little late to the party but as they say - better late than never. You spoke and I heard you loud and clear. Excelsior!

Standing offer to all CCL Members - every purchase you make from my other store (link below) earns you at least one freebie of my choice! If you purchase from Hall Liquidations send a PM to Hall of Heroes and let me know! Thanks!

Hall Liquidations

MoonKnight1
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2013 9:07:57 AM

Shop at My Store

Thundercron wrote:
I really enjoyed the Spaceknights limited series from the early 2000's. Of course, I'm a huge ROM fan, so maybe I'm biased. But it was written by Jim Starlin, and is a cosmic story, so that's a pretty good recommendation. For some strange reason, Marvel reprinted the five issues just a few months back in a three issue miniseries. Hopefully Marvel reprinted it because they have something brewing on the horizon that ties in with it....

I loved ROM as well. Unfortunately it appears that since Parker Brothers still owns the copyright for the character we will only get watered down versions. I actually had the original toy but it was lost in the "Great Purge of 1990" when my mom and step-dad tossed all my stuff in the dumpster as I was in college. I managed to save most of my G. I. Joes but everything else was gone. All of the early Star Wars figs gone as well.

Enough about my problems, ROM would actually make a pretty good movie I think. Cyborg alien robots fighting shape shifting monsters! Hey Hollywood! Here's a concept for you!

Hall Liquidations

Thundercron
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2013 10:47:39 AM

Shop at My Store

MoonKnight1 wrote:
Thundercron wrote:

I loved ROM as well. Unfortunately it appears that since Parker Brothers still owns the copyright for the character we will only get watered down versions. I actually had the original toy but it was lost in the "Great Purge of 1990" when my mom and step-dad tossed all my stuff in the dumpster as I was in college. I managed to save most of my G. I. Joes but everything else was gone. All of the early Star Wars figs gone as well.

Enough about my problems, ROM would actually make a pretty good movie I think. Cyborg alien robots fighting shape shifting monsters! Hey Hollywood! Here's a concept for you!

BEGIN TANGENT:
And Hasbro bought out Parket Brothers years ago, which is why they've renewed the claims to the ROM name in trademark over the years. But they haven't taken it any further than that, because ROM's creator, Bing McCoy, seems to think he still owns rights to the character. Appears Hasbro doesn't want to dump a bunch of legal money into a minor property.

As for ROM on the big screen--I've always felt ROM was a big influence to Robocop. Similiar idea (half man, half human cyborg coming to terms with never being able to regain his humanity), plus there are two or three scenes in the movie where ROM comics are prominently seen. Since the last issue of ROM hit the stands in December, 1985, I find it unlikely that the set decorator was instructed to find some comics to dress the scenes and just happened to track down some ROM back issues by accident, rather than find whatever was on the newsstands at the time.
MoonKnight1
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2013 10:58:02 AM

Shop at My Store

Didn't know that Hasbro now had the rights. I kinda remember them buying out Parker Bros...

Yeah, now that you mention it, Robocop did seem ROM-like in design. It's been a while since I've seen the movie so I don't recall seeing the comics. That's cool that they would do that sort of homage.

Not sure if the ROM comics featured as many F-Bombs as the Robocop movie!

"Come quietly or there will be...trouble"

Hall Liquidations

Thundercron
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2013 11:42:43 AM

Shop at My Store

MoonKnight1 wrote:
Didn't know that Hasbro now had the rights. I kinda remember them buying out Parker Bros...

Yeah, now that you mention it, Robocop did seem ROM-like in design. It's been a while since I've seen the movie so I don't recall seeing the comics. That's cool that they would do that sort of homage.

Not sure if the ROM comics featured as many F-Bombs as the Robocop movie!

"Come quietly or there will be...trouble"

Check out the first montage scene with Robocop on patrol. When the gunman is holding up the couple in the convenience store, he walked by a magazine rack, with ROM prominently on display. Also, when Robocop is having a flashback to his old life, he walks into the living room where his son is on the floor with his stuff, and a ROM comic is seen on the ground. I thought there was another scene, but can't remember for sure.
MoonKnight1
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2013 1:33:44 PM

Shop at My Store

MoonKnight1 wrote:
I think I've got the whole set somewhere.

Just found it. Avengers Crossover - Operation Galactic Storm. Here are the issues in the order in which they should be read:

Captain America 398
West Coast Avengers 80
Quasar 32
Wonder Man 7
Avengers 345
Iron Man 278
Thor 445
Captain America 399
WCA 81
Quasar 33
Wonder Man 8
Avengers 346
Iron Man 279
Thor 446
Captain America 400
WCA 82
Quasar 34
Wonder Man 9
Avengers 347
and Quasar 35 which was actually the Aftermath issue

Hall Liquidations

BurningDoom
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2013 1:59:29 PM

I want to purchase them all. Found a set on eBay for $25. But I'm waiting on a certain someone around here who is getting some certain issues for me. So I guess it will be my next purchase.

dunleavy75
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2013 10:56:57 PM

BurningDoom wrote:
I want to purchase them all. Found a set on eBay for $25. But I'm waiting on a certain someone around here who is getting some certain issues for me. So I guess it will be my next purchase.

You could probably hunt down the trades for around that price if not less. Unless you want the singles. Winking