Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
The Hero Discovered: Mage Options
NorthBridge
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2013 11:57:40 PM

Groups: Member

I found the gorgeous book the other day and couldn't pass it up.

However, I'm noticing that it isn't quite a standalone.

Is anyone familiar with this book and the Grendel books think I should read the other two Grendel HCs in order to get a better understanding of this book?

Also, if anyone has a first print I would like to purchase it. I have tons of figures and books to trade or will buy it outright if the price is right.

--
Thank you and take care,
Paul
4saken1
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 2:00:39 AM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

The Grendel story which appears in the back of these comics (beginning in issue #6) is a fun read, but not essential to the Grendel storyline. I very much enjoyed The Hero Discovered storyline, and is to this day one of my favorites of all time. It's probably been 20+ years since I've read it, though, so IDK if it stands the test of time.....

p.s. Grendel: Devil By the Deed is in my top 10 favorites also, but to get the full effect you need to get the oversized GN printed in 1988. I've taken a peek at the regular size comic, and it's just not the same.

ComicVortex

Current specials:

Get 30% Off Select Comics
For every comic you purchase from our 'Bargain Bin' (those priced $1 or less), another comic purchased over $1 will be $30% off (refunded via PayPal). eg. If you purchase 10 'Bargain Bin' books, then 10 books purchased that are each over $1 will recieve this refund, etc.

Free Shipping

Every domestic order of 25 or more comics gets FREE SHIPPING (Media Mail). Though I can't provide Free Shipping on foreign orders, we do offer a $5 refund on postage for purchases of 25 or more comics to foreign countries or a $10 refund if you buy 50 comics (again, foreign orders only).

NorthBridge
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 3:58:35 PM

Yeah...I nearly read a third of The Hero Discovered last night. It's absolutely fantastic. It stands the test of time, believe me! :)

In your p.s. Are you referring to this?

--
Thank you and take care,
Paul
MoonKnight1
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 7:03:56 PM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

The Mage character is one of my favorite Indy creations, right alongside Grendel - both Matt Wagner imaginings.

The symbolism of King Arthur and Merlin is subtle at first, I love the magic Excalibur bat! Grackleflints, those crazy gnomes the Leahnnon Sidhe (can't remember the spelling).

You should definitely read Mage: The Hero Defined when you're done. It spreads the mythology around, there's a new character called Kirby Hero (an obvious homage) and Joe Phat is quite unique.

Having said that, I wholeheartedly urge you to check out Grendel. The 1986-1990 series is wonderful. The Pander Bros. art in the first 12 issues is stylistic and a little trippy. Issue #9 is a silent comics, there are only two lines of dialogue in the entire book. One sentence on the first page - and one on the last. A truly classic story. Must read.

The various Grendel tales are all pretty good as well.

Fantastic News! Hall of Heroes has now surpassed 600 Hero Ratings! I couldn't have done it without all of you and I will strive to maintain and improve my high standards. Which brings me to my next announcement - starting now, all shipments will come with tracking at no extra charge to you! I'm a little late to the party but as they say - better late than never. You spoke and I heard you loud and clear. Excelsior!

Now with 1,500+ positive feedback on the four letter site!
Standing offer to all CCL Members - every purchase you make from my other store (link below) earns you at least one freebie of my choice! If you purchase from Hall Liquidations send a PM to Hall of Heroes and let me know! Thanks!

Hall Liquidations

NorthBridge
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 7:47:08 PM

So you guys are saying to read Grendel first, then this, then Hero Defined?

--
Thank you and take care,
Paul
4saken1
Posted: Wednesday, April 17, 2013 9:19:47 AM

Shop at My Store

NorthBridge wrote:
So you guys are saying to read Grendel first, then this, then Hero Defined?

The two stories aren't connected in any sense, so don't worry about which one you read first.

NorthBridge wrote:
Yeah...I nearly read a third of The Hero Discovered last night. It's absolutely fantastic. It stands the test of time, believe me! :)

In your p.s. Are you referring to this?

IDK if the one you posted a link to is oversized or not. I would try to find this one, if you can:

ComicVortex

Current specials:

For every comic you purchase from our 'Bargain Bin' (those priced $1 or less), another comic purchased over $1 will be $30% off (refunded via PayPal). eg. If you purchase 10 'Bargain Bin' books, then 10 books purchased that are each over $1 will recieve this refund, etc.

Free Shipping

Every domestic order of 25 or more comics gets FREE SHIPPING (Media Mail). Though I can't provide Free Shipping on foreign orders, we do offer a $5 refund on postage for purchases of 25 or more comics to foreign countries or a $10 refund if you buy 50 comics (again, foreign orders only).

MoonKnight1
Posted: Wednesday, April 17, 2013 9:26:52 AM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Hi Paul,

Not exactly. Grendel and Mage occupy two separate Universes and don't cross over at all. The only thing they have in common is both are Matt Wagner creations and each one was a back-up feature in the other's title at one point. After Hero Discovered there was a sequel supposed to be coming out "Soon". Well, it took like 12 years for The Hero Defined to come out. In the meantime, Mage appeared as an 8 page story in Grendel #16-19. Interestingly, these stories were partly scripted in French.

The biggest difference between the titles is that Mage is more light-hearted and whimsical whereas Grendel is quite dark and explores many difficult and controversial topics. The character Kevin Matchstick (Mage) is a dead ringer for Matt Wagner himself and it is considered to be semi-autobiographical. Or at least Matt's feverish, fan-boy dreams!

I love both series, but Grendel for sure is #1. The trades are great because you get it all at once but I'll tell you, the Comico books are worth getting for two reasons. First of all, EVERY Comico title sported a wrap-around cover and the art work on most was usually quite detailed. Secondly, this was when people actually wrote letters and the letters pages in Grendel got very philosophical at times. Like I said, Grendel dealt with some controversial topics. (I'm not just saying that because I have them all for sale in my store, I REALLY like them!)

If you are enjoying Hero Discovered then I guarantee that you will like Hero Defined. The best thing for you is that you don't have to wait a dozen years for it like I did!

Enjoy!
Howie

Fantastic News! Hall of Heroes has now surpassed 600 Hero Ratings! I couldn't have done it without all of you and I will strive to maintain and improve my high standards. Which brings me to my next announcement - starting now, all shipments will come with tracking at no extra charge to you! I'm a little late to the party but as they say - better late than never. You spoke and I heard you loud and clear. Excelsior!

Now with 1,500+ positive feedback on the four letter site!
Standing offer to all CCL Members - every purchase you make from my other store (link below) earns you at least one freebie of my choice! If you purchase from Hall Liquidations send a PM to Hall of Heroes and let me know! Thanks!

Hall Liquidations

NorthBridge
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2013 3:10:32 PM

So, thanks to all of your suggestions I went out and spent some money today! :)

Because yesterday we in MA gave up our liberties for safety I couldn't go to the Con so I picked up some Grendel books.

I got:

War Child (the covers on this one are astounding!)
Four Devils, One Hell
Red, White and Black (more amazing covers)
Grendel's Tales

All of these are minis, and looking at some other comic databases it seems there's a lot more stuff out there to read.

Are there any other particular minis you would recommend I pick up beyond these?

Thanks all...I am really excited about these. They look fantastic.

--
Thank you and take care,
Paul
4saken1
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2013 6:55:04 PM

Shop at My Store

I enjoyed 'Behold the Devil', mainly because Hunter Rose was my favorite Grendel and it was also written and drawn by Matt Wagner.

As far as contunuity goes, I believe 'War Child' happens immediately after the original series ends. As far as the 'Grendel Tales' stories go, each series is independent of one another and can be read without having to read all the others, save for the fact that they all take place after the original series ends. I think the exception is 'Devil's Choices' and 'Devil's and Deaths' (my favorites among the 'Tales'). The former follows the latter in that case.

ComicVortex

Current specials:

Free Shipping