Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
What's the worst comic you've read lately? Options
kisstour03
Posted: Sunday, April 28, 2013 4:00:07 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

I see posts about favorite publisher, artist, series, etc etc. What's the worst comic or series you've read lately?? Not trying to be negative but there are some stinkers out there.

The absolute wost one I've read in the last year would be an independent title called Stick City. It got rave reviews by some people who got preview copies. So I decided to give a locally produced product a try. Terrible book. It tried to make some sort of statement that went over my head. Artsy fartsy crap. When I was done reading it, it was still in mint shape. So I took it back to the store and told the owner to put it back on his shelf and sell it to someone who liked crappy comics.

More mainstream publisher wise I'd have to say Threshold from DC was a crapper for me.

Xylob
Posted: Sunday, April 28, 2013 7:22:21 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

Threshold hasn't run me off yet...
Red Lanterns is getting pretty bad.

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
kevscomics
Posted: Sunday, April 28, 2013 9:45:01 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber, Super Seller

I tried the new Katana series, just couldn't get into it...
BurningDoom
Posted: Sunday, April 28, 2013 9:54:49 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

Avengers: Infinity. Bought the TPB that was recently released. It was rather preachy and just felt like the writer was on his soap-box. Not even really any cool battles or fantastic artwork to save it, either.

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
SwiftMann
Posted: Sunday, April 28, 2013 10:10:08 PM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Jason Aaron's 16 issue Incredible Hulk run from 2011-2012 is hands down the worst ongoing series I've read in years.

It was one of those books that started off as just overly bland due to a poorly executed good idea and turned into a series of poorly executed horrible ideas. Just when you think, "It can't get worse than Hulk fighting redneck Atlanteans over their moonshine" the next issue has an insane Russian scientist banging cybernetic bears on a space station.

"Words have meaning." - my wife
kisstour03
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2013 11:30:55 AM

How could I forget the awful Jason Aaron Hulk run??!! I'm a Hulk guy till the end. But that was 16 issues of torture for sure. Aaron's run on Thor has been miles better.

I liked the first issue of Katana. But issue 2 kinda started to loose me. And when issue 3 arrives this week in my order, if it doesn't pick up it'll be gone.
ukblueky
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2013 6:37:15 PM

Groups: Member

The Dynamite published Flash Gordon title. By the second issue I gave up, thank goodness I had only bought two issues.
Another title that I recently dropped due to it being a stinker is Batman:The Dark Knight (or whatever its called). It started off pretty cool with Finch's art and all but a year later it was all downhill.

Nate77
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2013 8:40:10 AM

I was a big fan of Buffy: the vampire slayer season 8. but i gave up on season 9 after the first 10 issues or so, it just wasn't headed anywhere.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Pull List: Avengers, Uncanny Avengers, Superior Spider-Man, Savage Wolverine, Wolverine, Deadpool,X-Force, Captain America, Guardians of the Galaxy, Batman & ?, B.P.R.D., Hellboy, The Walking Dead, Super Dinosaur.
SuperSoldier124
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2013 11:12:08 AM

most books from the 90's were horrible. cool art lousy writing.

add me on xbox live and PSN

PS3: wartorn11b
360: precious blood1

BurningDoom
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2013 11:51:16 AM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

SuperSoldier124 wrote:

That is such a blanket statement. There's tons of great, well-written stuff from the 90s: Earth X, Age of Apocalypse, the Death and Return of Superman, Kingdom Come, Marvels, Morrison's JLA run, Batman: No Man's Land, Peter David's Hulk, Peter David's Aquaman, Mark Waid's Flash, James Robinson's Starman, John Byrne's Avengers West Coast, and on and on.

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
SuperSoldier124
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2013 12:46:52 PM

ok, true, but there was still a ton of crap. i thought knight fall was kinda lame and even though i LOVED maximum carnage and the clone saga there was still some creativity lacking more so with the clone saga. joe kelly and mark waid did write some really good stuff as well as peter david. so alright i'll recant that statement... for the most part.

add me on xbox live and PSN

PS3: wartorn11b
360: precious blood1

jmbarnes101
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2013 7:49:59 AM

BurningDoom wrote:
SuperSoldier124 wrote:

That is such a blanket statement. There's tons of great, well-written stuff from the 90s: Earth X, Age of Apocalypse, the Death and Return of Superman, Kingdom Come, Marvels, Morrison's JLA run, Batman: No Man's Land, Peter David's Hulk, Peter David's Aquaman, Mark Waid's Flash, James Robinson's Starman, John Byrne's Avengers West Coast, and on and on.

You are correct however let's also add
Ordway's Power of Shazam
Busiek's Astro City & Untold Tales of Spider-Man
Waid's Impulse
Abnett & Lanning's Force Works (Prior to the Crossing)
Kesel's Superboy
Moench & Jones on Batman
Dixon & Nolan on Detective Comics
Batman Adventures/Batman & Robin Adventures/Batman: Gotham Adventures
Superman Adventures
Adventures in the DC Universe
and as you said, a whole lot more though I'm also partial to Roy Thomas' Avengers West Coast.

How could I forget the Ostrander/Mandrake Spectre or Martian Manhunter? Great stuff as is Suicide Squad 37 on (the first 36 issues were in the 80's).

As for worst, their isn't a lot I've read I thought completely sucked with the exception of pretty much anything Bendis has written other than Daredevil. He has almost single handedly stopped me from reading anything from Marvel for years.
SpidermanGeek
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2013 9:17:55 AM

Groups: Guru, Marvel Host, Member, Moderator

SwiftMann wrote:
Jason Aaron's 16 issue Incredible Hulk run from 2011-2012 is hands down the worst ongoing series I've read in years.

It was one of those books that started off as just overly bland due to a poorly executed good idea and turned into a series of poorly executed horrible ideas. Just when you think, "It can't get worse than Hulk fighting redneck Atlanteans over their moonshine" the next issue has an insane Russian scientist banging cybernetic bears on a space station.

I have to agree with this as well as Cullen Bunn's current run on Wolverine.

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules, here.

I haz a Blog
kisstour03
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2013 9:23:22 AM

jmbarnes101 wrote:
BurningDoom wrote:
SuperSoldier124 wrote:

You are correct however let's also add
Ordway's Power of Shazam
Busiek's Astro City & Untold Tales of Spider-Man
Waid's Impulse
Abnett & Lanning's Force Works (Prior to the Crossing)
Kesel's Superboy
Moench & Jones on Batman
Dixon & Nolan on Detective Comics
Batman Adventures/Batman & Robin Adventures/Batman: Gotham Adventures
Superman Adventures
Adventures in the DC Universe
and as you said, a whole lot more though I'm also partial to Roy Thomas' Avengers West Coast.

I love that you're including good reads in your answers too. Since I was not reading comics much in the 90s, it gives me something "new" to go look for. Thanks guys.
roguesquad
Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2013 9:33:33 AM

Im just getting to Bendis's Uncanny X-men and oh boy.. He does not get these characters at all.. pee-yew!

I have 5 issues of this.. not sure if I want to torture myself.

All That I Need Are Things I Don't Need.
outcast
Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2013 9:30:59 PM
Groups: Member, Newsstand Edition Host

I read the new stories in Wonder Woman #211 a few days ago. They are simply dreadful!

It seems to have been Robert Kanigher's last issue, and he doesn't seem to have been inclined to go out on a high note. In one story, WW flies her invisible airplane to the planet Mercury, where she meets a tribe of Amazon-like women. In the other story, she shrinks down to some sort of magic atom, and discovers that the protons are women and the electrons are men (or maybe it was vice-versa). This was published in 1974! RK must have been the only person in the world that could have accepted the premises of the stories.
rook68
Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2013 11:03:08 PM

Been catching up on some reading. Just read Justice League (2011) issues 13 to 18. The Atlantis issues were pretty good. The "Recruited By The Grid" was a let down though. All the cool heroes they could of recruited are on Justice League America. Martian Manhunter for one. I am also not digging the female Atom. Bring back Ray Palmer. Not that it totally sucks but a missed opportunity for sure. The Shazam stories rock though. Keep that going.

(referring to an original comic book piece) This is a art gallery my friend and THIS is a piece of art.

Elijah Price "Unbreakable"
played by Samuel L. Jackson

CrossbowComics
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2013 1:36:34 AM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

The worst comic I've ever read is Sub Mariner 72, which is the last issue of the first series. Normally the last issue of a series is worth more, not this time, lol. I sold one not too long ago & it gave me a chance to refresh my memory. Subby sitting on the dock lamenting how humans poisoned his world, then 2 guys come along & want to practice their karate & actually manage to smack him around, then some random alien spore drops into the ocean, forms into a sea monster & attacks subby too.

It was just bad, when you read it you realize why they took it behind the shed right then & there.

PS - My favorite read is Cerebus bi-weekly 1-25, which reprints Cerebus 1-25 with added commentary. Can probably find most of them in 50 cent boxes & they're worth every penny, maybe more.

future home - TreehouseComicShop.com

ukblueky
Posted: Sunday, June 09, 2013 12:05:30 PM

Macabre #1. This title just came out this week and oh my lord its so bad. Pitiful art and horrid attempt and short stories. Wish I paid more attention when I flipped through it at the comic store. But I seen it was the last copy on the shelf and I figured it must be pretty good.....wrong.

On the flip side another title that just came out this week that rocked was John Carpenter's Asylum.

Atilla2k
Posted: Sunday, June 09, 2013 12:11:55 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

BurningDoom wrote:

His JLA run is the only thing he's written that hasn't made me want to rip my eyeballs from their sockets...At Wits' End