Log In Forums Help
Comic Collector Live
Home :: CCL Messageboard
Find Comics for Sale
Items For Sale
All Comics For Sale
New Releases
CGC Comics
Bundled Lots
Store Locator
Search Library
Search By Title
Publisher
Story Arc
Character
Credits
Release Date
Change Request Manager
News & Reviews
Reviews
News
Our Products and Services
Get the Software
Buying Comics And Stuff
Selling Your Comics
Opening A Store
Community
Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Difference Between US and UK Editions? Options
aaus
Posted: Thursday, May 02, 2013 5:30:43 AM

Rank: Sidekick
Groups: Member

Joined: 1/30/2013
Posts: 68
Points: 204
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
There is a matter that I am curious about and I hope you can help me out.

Is there anything like "UK Edition" of American comics? For example if I buy an American comicbook in London, is it going to be the original issue or the UK reprint of the original issue?

Anybody know anything about it?


“Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.”
freakdylan
Posted: Friday, May 03, 2013 9:04:58 AM

Rank: Watcher
Groups: Member, Subscriber

Joined: 6/4/2012
Posts: 801
Points: 5,877
aaus wrote:
There is a matter that I am curious about and I hope you can help me out.

Is there anything like "UK Edition" of American comics? For example if I buy an American comicbook in London, is it going to be the original issue or the UK reprint of the original issue?

Anybody know anything about it?



It really depends on the comic but yes some comics had both US versions and UK versions.

For example here is a UK amazing spiderman #73




aaus
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2013 3:27:46 AM

Rank: Sidekick
Groups: Member

Joined: 1/30/2013
Posts: 68
Points: 204
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
freakdylan wrote:
aaus wrote:
There is a matter that I am curious about and I hope you can help me out.

Is there anything like "UK Edition" of American comics? For example if I buy an American comicbook in London, is it going to be the original issue or the UK reprint of the original issue?

Anybody know anything about it?



It really depends on the comic but yes some comics had both US versions and UK versions.

For example here is a UK amazing spiderman #73



Thank you for the information.

In that case, I think I should check the edition before buying. Especially when I buy on the internet.

“Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.”
icarus201
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2013 7:02:24 AM

Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Approver, CR-Policies, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, UK Host

Joined: 8/17/2007
Posts: 41,289
Points: 498,079
Location: United Kingdom
aaus wrote:
freakdylan wrote:
aaus wrote:
There is a matter that I am curious about and I hope you can help me out.

Is there anything like "UK Edition" of American comics? For example if I buy an American comicbook in London, is it going to be the original issue or the UK reprint of the original issue?

Anybody know anything about it?



It really depends on the comic but yes some comics had both US versions and UK versions.

For example here is a UK amazing spiderman #73



Thank you for the information.

In that case, I think I should check the edition before buying. Especially when I buy on the internet.

Bear in mind that US comics with UK prices stopped being printed over 30 years ago. If it's a new comic that you're buying, then it will be exactly the same as it is if you bought it in the US. Even the old UK price editions as illustrated above, were exactly the same content inside, even the ads, it was just the price on the cover that was different. They were printed at exactly the same time in the US and then shipped over here for our market.

Quick history lesson:

Last UK only price covers



Replaced by US/UK prices covers



Then replaced with US/UK/Can price covers



And now just only US price




As to the matter of UK reprints, there have dedicated reprint titles published in the UK since the 1960's, but you wouldn't confuse them with a US comic. Normally they would carry newer, different covers and the titles would be different. Originally, the reprints were in black & white and A4 sized, but are mostly colour these days. They are normally compendium titles containing 2 to 3 full stories an issue.

Here's an example of one




Marvel Universe® ~ No-one Ever Really Dies.

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
aaus
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2013 12:32:35 PM

Rank: Sidekick
Groups: Member

Joined: 1/30/2013
Posts: 68
Points: 204
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Thanks a lot. That was exactly what I needed to know.

“Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.”
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

This page was generated in 0.129 seconds.

ADVERTISEMENT . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
All images on comic collector live copyright of their respective publishers. © Copyright 2008, MidTen Media Inc. GOLO241