Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Spyware Attached to CCL Website Options
BurningDoom
Posted: Sunday, May 12, 2013 2:10:31 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

Lately my spyware/virus protection software as been asking me if I want to download the following when I come to CCL's website, and it only happens at THIS website:

get.js from media.fastclick.net

Of course I click no. But I thought I'd let you know for people that might not have spyware or have spyware that doesn't catch it. And I didn't think that CCL wanted to be listed as a dangerous website, either.

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
CrossbowComics
Posted: Sunday, May 12, 2013 2:20:39 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

I started getting the same thing about 2 weeks ago. There's also a new blinking ad that's unusually annoying, maybe the 2 are connected.

EDIT - the ad is rewardzone.com, blinking lights telling me I'm the 100,000th visitor.

future home - TreehouseComicShop.com

LadyJay
Posted: Sunday, May 12, 2013 2:38:15 PM

Groups: Approver, CR-Policies, Member, Moderator, Super Hero Showdown Host

I've been seeing this too. It's getting extremely annoying.

comicscastle
Posted: Sunday, May 12, 2013 2:41:11 PM

Groups: Approver, Approver Steward, CR-Management, Forum Admin, Grade My Book Host, Guru, History Host, Member, Super Seller, Tool

Shop at My Store

I use firefox and haven't seen it, but heard about it from a friend that uses the software. Someone please let Steve know about this. Don't assume he will see it here. He probably won't.

The following stores are all stores that I've dealt with or have become friends with through the forums and I highly recommend them all.
Comics Castle-owned & operated by Pat McCauslin
Alpha Comics--ComicVortex--Metropolis Connections 2.0--Comic Cellar

BurningDoom
Posted: Sunday, May 12, 2013 2:49:51 PM

comicscastle wrote:
I use firefox and haven't seen it, but heard about it from a friend that uses the software. Someone please let Steve know about this. Don't assume he will see it here. He probably won't.

Done.

MoonKnight1
Posted: Sunday, May 12, 2013 4:25:41 PM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

I use Firefox as well and haven't experienced it there but my girlfriend's computer uses Chrome and I have seen it recently pop up. Not sure if there's any correlation, I hope this helps.

Fantastic News! Hall of Heroes has now surpassed 600 Hero Ratings! I couldn't have done it without all of you and I will strive to maintain and improve my high standards. Which brings me to my next announcement - starting now, all shipments will come with tracking at no extra charge to you! I'm a little late to the party but as they say - better late than never. You spoke and I heard you loud and clear. Excelsior!

Hall Liquidations

CrossbowComics
Posted: Sunday, May 12, 2013 4:37:59 PM

Shop at My Store

I'll echo these comments, I think I've just seen it when using the software & not with Firefox.

Thundercron
Posted: Sunday, May 12, 2013 5:33:43 PM

Shop at My Store

Yeah, my pop up blocker goes crazy with this website these days. We're actually in the process of reformatting the computer because I think my four year old got in front of the computer and started accepting those pop-ups (he's at the age where he runs to the ocmputer and just starts clicking on stuff). Got some bad viruses the last few days.
Xylob
Posted: Sunday, May 12, 2013 7:19:06 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

I notified Jim of malware issues on the site on November 29th...
I also use Firefox with 'paranoia' settings and some script and ad blockers, so no problems with my normal browsing - but everytime I open the desktop software my anti-virus freaks the hell out because of the built-in/ripped-off IE.

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
CrossbowComics
Posted: Sunday, May 12, 2013 10:10:08 PM

Shop at My Store

I did a little poking around, rewardzone.com is an affiliate of Best Buy, is that who we did business with? There's a rewardzone.co based in Panama which had a scam saying you won a $1000 gift card from Target, which of course you have to enter your info for.

The ad takes you to the .com site so on the surface it looks ok, I'm not about to try claiming my free Ipad though.

fenix1977
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 4:29:37 AM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

Yesterday (5-13-13) was the first time I've had some odd install box pop up when I opened the software. Not sure what it was but I ignored it and went about my way...

Mad Bloggings

BurningDoom
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 6:46:45 PM

I got a reply from Valiant regarding this. He brought it to Joe's attention. But they don't think it's spyware. They think it has to do with updating your flash player for a certain ad that runs on here. He suggested that everyone update their Adobe Flash Player, and it should fix the problem.

BurningDoom
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 6:48:55 PM

BurningDoom wrote:
I got a reply from Valiant regarding this. He brought it to Joe's attention. But they don't think it's spyware. They think it has to do with updating your flash player for a certain ad that runs on here. He suggested that everyone update their Adobe Flash Player, and it should fix the problem.

I just went and tried to update it.

Apparantly, with Windows 8, Flash Player is integrated into Internet Explorer and constantly updated. So there's no need to update or download a thing.

So I'd suspect it's not an Adobe update. I sent a message letting Steve know.

b0bafett
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 6:58:22 PM

Groups: Guru, Member

Quote:
But they don't think it's spyware. They think it has to do with updating your flash player for a certain ad that runs on here.

You would think they would take alittle time out of there busy life to post this or atleast say there looking into the matter
freakdylan
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 7:07:18 PM

Groups: Member

b0bafett wrote:
Quote:
But they don't think it's spyware. They think it has to do with updating your flash player for a certain ad that runs on here.

You would think they would take alittle time out of there busy life to post this or atleast say there looking into the matter

Why? They already got your money, lol

Thanks to the following sellers for helping me put together my complete run of Amazing Spider-man #1-700

ComicCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Now for the sellers helping me finish my TMNT collection:

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics

padreglcc
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 8:47:37 PM

Groups: Approver, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, DC Host, Forum Admin, Member, Moderator, New Releases Host, Reviews Host, Subscriber

BurningDoom wrote:
BurningDoom wrote:

I just went and tried to update it.

Apparantly, with Windows 8, Flash Player is integrated into Internet Explorer and constantly updated. So there's no need to update or download a thing.

So I'd suspect it's not an Adobe update. I sent a message letting Steve know.

There's no way this has anything to do with adobe. My Chrome browser flagged a page on CCL for the first time today and in the details to said that if was because of an image that was hosted by imageflock that may contain malware. The page that was flagged was in the Angela thread in the Marvel forums. I'm wondering if it's one of the pics in the thread or in someone's signature that's causing the problem.

“One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say.” ~ Bryant H. McGill

Please make sure you read and understand the Forum Rules here.
CrossbowComics
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 8:59:58 PM

Shop at My Store

Considering how protection software is so common, CCL should ditch anything that could pose a red flag, it's not worth it for the traffic you lose. While I was poking around I found an online report for CCL.com, it said the site was safe but based on traffic it estimated CCL's ad revenue at about $5 a day. It also said daily visitors were 1600 down from 2000 a year ago.

I can't say for sure how credible that information is, it's just something I found through Google, but it seems the rewards are not big enough to justify doing anything new or unusual that would set off alerts.

*NOTE - if the previous post is correct than obviously it wouldn't be CCL's fault.

CrossbowComics
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 10:36:33 PM

Shop at My Store

Just to follow up, I found a site called Alexa where you can get reports for various web sites. I couldn't get much for CCL, it did say traffic was down 24% in the last month. By comparison, MyComicShop was up 16% and Mile High was up 20%. That sudden split could perhaps be explained by these alerts/warnings, although the closing of Curious Goods could explain some of it too.

Interesting note - CCL is ranked just ahead of Mile High at about #49,000 (US only), wouldn't have guessed that. MyComicShop ranks much higher at about 12,000.

pottersan
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 10:03:14 AM

Shop at My Store

CrossbowComics wrote:
Considering how protection software is so common, CCL should ditch anything that could pose a red flag, it's not worth it for the traffic you lose. While I was poking around I found an online report for CCL.com, it said the site was safe but based on traffic it estimated CCL's ad revenue at about $5 a day. It also said daily visitors were 1600 down from 2000 a year ago.

I can't say for sure how credible that information is, it's just something I found through Google, but it seems the rewards are not big enough to justify doing anything new or unusual that would set off alerts.

*NOTE - if the previous post is correct than obviously it wouldn't be CCL's fault.
That is interesting if those numbers are correct.

Join me on Marvel War of Heroes! Alphacomics, use referral code eng572582 and get bonus items!!

Visit My Facebook Page!

Alpha Comics has LOOSE Action Figures & T Shirts!

Other great CCL Stores;
BlueMoon Comics, The Comic Book Stop, Comics Castle, ComicVortex, TREEHOUSE , The Android's Dungeon, Nerdgasm_Comics
pottersan
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 10:04:51 AM

Shop at My Store

CrossbowComics wrote:
Just to follow up, I found a site called Alexa where you can get reports for various web sites. I couldn't get much for CCL, it did say traffic was down 24% in the last month. By comparison, MyComicShop was up 16% and Mile High was up 20%. That sudden split could perhaps be explained by these alerts/warnings, although the closing of Curious Goods could explain some of it too.

Interesting note - CCL is ranked just ahead of Mile High at about #49,000 (US only), wouldn't have guessed that. MyComicShop ranks much higher at about 12,000.
I just got a new laptop with windows 8......sometimes when I click on the link in my email for a new post in the forums, my google browser blocks it and states that the website is unsafe.....Would probably scare off more than a few visitors......

Join me on Marvel War of Heroes! Alphacomics, use referral code eng572582 and get bonus items!!

Visit My Facebook Page!

Alpha Comics has LOOSE Action Figures & T Shirts!

Other great CCL Stores;
BlueMoon Comics, The Comic Book Stop, Comics Castle, ComicVortex, TREEHOUSE , The Android's Dungeon, Nerdgasm_Comics