Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Power Records Are A Mess! Options
CCComics
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 4:56:28 PM
Groups: Member

Starting to make changes to the Power Records section of the database and found it to be a total mess and very incomplete. I wanted to ask how to proceed so I don't waste my time with submissions being approved or not with varying consistency. Lots of ground to cover so:

1) Not every 1st Printing of the records are yellow labels and not every 2nd Printing are green labels. No way to tell what has been confirmed and what has not there's no consistency among the entries. Some have the information but also have a !needs work notation, some don't have the information but are asking for verification, some have the information and aren't asking for verification and some don't have the information and aren't asking for verification. How do I know what to do with the ones without the !needs work notation?

2) There are versions of the Power Records with a Peter Pan logo sticker pasted over the price circle at the factory. These were meant for sale in non-US stores and the record label follows the 1st printing color scheme. Are these variants since they're stickered at the factory under the shrink wrap? There are other stickered comic variants listed in the database so are these to be included as well and if so what should they be called?

3) There are also variant covers to some of these with the same artwork but a Peter Pan Book & Recording dress instead of the standard Power Records Book & Record Set dress. The records within are green label 45 RPMs but I don't know if they should be considered 1st printing variants or 2nd printing variants. What do you think?

4) The standard version of the Power Records come in comic book form with a 45 RPM record and a PR numbering system. There are alternate versions of these which were re-released in the 1980s under the title Read & Hear with a separate and entirely new numerical system without any letters. Are these variants or should they be listed under a new title.

5) There were also 45 RPMs of some of these released in picture sleeves without any comic material beyond the front and back cover. Some of them have a price printed on them, some have that Peter Pan logo factory sticker over the price and some have no price at all. Should these be included as variants since they're still the same exact story/recording?

6) There are also 33 1/3 RPM releases from Power Records using a BR numbering system under the Book & Record name. These are also by Peter Pan and are in larger 12" LP format with no price or no price circle but the interiors do have full comic stories essentially turning the album into a book and the gatefold checklist. These should be added to the library since they're just like the other comic/record sets already present but in LP form right?

7) And there were also 33 1/3 RPM records released in both 12" and 7" Little LP formats which compiled the different 45s. These were released under the Power Records banner with a numerical system and the records had a yellow label with a Power Records logo on it. There are international variants of these with varying color schemes on the artwork and different copyright info printed on the record labels. There are also versions with a different numbering system via factory stickers placed over the original number and the records have green labels with a Peter Pan logo. For every edition, while containing no interior comic, some of the back covers have ridiculously abbreviated stories with 5 or 6 panels pulled from the original Power Records 45RPM comics. So does that make them vaild for entry and if so how?

What to do?
Spider-Man
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 6:59:51 PM

Groups: Approver, Beta, CR-Management, Member, Subscriber

Thanks for offering to help. All the info added to this database is done by the members and approved by a group of volunteer Approvers. The Approvers rely on being able to verify the info the members are trying to add. To help in correcting errors in the Power Records listings, it would be great if you can provide links to show us where you are getting your info.

Thanks again.

Signature design by CCL's own DrFate

SpiderFan.org

CCComics
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 7:28:51 PM

Yes I know all of this and have no problem providing links. I've been submitting for some time now so I'm not new to the site or the process. Wondering how the wrong information got there in the first place if it's all backed up with supporting information. But I need my questions answered because the last thing I want to do is spend hours getting images and info together only to get my efforts rejected due to inconsistency with submission policy which has happened in the past.

My concern isn't about providing links and references, it's about what I should and should not submit. Please read my whole post.
padreglcc
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 8:41:01 PM

Groups: Approver, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, DC Host, Forum Admin, Member, Moderator, New Releases Host, Reviews Host, Subscriber

If I recall correctly, the Approvers discussed the Power Records issue some time ago, but none of us really had a handle on them. I think SwiftMann may have tried to do some organizing with them, but don't hold me to that. Not being personally knowledgeable about these, I hesitate to give guidance. However, I'll take a shot at some of your questions and if another Approver wants to contradict me I'll defer to them.

1) Don't rely on the Needs Work tags to tell you what's complete and what's not. If you believe it needs work, feel free to make Change Requests, even if there's no tag. Those Needs Work tags are only added sporadically and not with a lot of rhyme or reason, and sometimes things that really do need work just haven't been tagged yet.

2) I would say yes, if they were stickered at the factory under the wrap, then they're variants.

3) Can't help you.

4) If they were released under a different title with a different numbering system, then I say separate title, not variants.

5) If there's no comic material, we don't want to list them, IMO.

6) Would these be variants of things already in the database, or are you talking about something that not listed yet? Are there pages or just stories printed on the dust jacket? Just trying to get a little clearer info.

7) If there's no comic, then they don't belong in the database, IMO.

“One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say.” ~ Bryant H. McGill

Please make sure you read and understand the Forum Rules here.
CCComics
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 9:34:48 PM

Thank you for addressing my questions. I will wait until more the approvers chime in and give me the official go ahead or the no ahead but here's some responses to yours.

1) Don't rely on the Needs Work tags to tell you what's complete and what's not. If you believe it needs work, feel free to make Change Requests, even if there's no tag. Those Needs Work tags are only added sporadically and not with a lot of rhyme or reason, and sometimes things that really do need work just haven't been tagged yet. Got it, sounds logical. I'll just go through them 1 by 1 and see what I can add or correct.

2) I would say yes, if they were stickered at the factory under the wrap, then they're variants. Will wait for an official go ahead.

3) Can't help you. Will wait for an official answer.

4) If they were released under a different title with a different numbering system, then I say separate title, not variants. Here's an example from the library where it's listed as a variant under the Power Records title. You can see the different title and numbering system. http://www.comiccollectorlive.com/LiveData/Issue.aspx?id=f4d885aa-bb41-490c-80f3-a69412d219aa

5) If there's no comic material, we don't want to list them, IMO. Will wait for an official answer.

6) Would these be variants of things already in the database, or are you talking about something that not listed yet? Are there pages or just stories printed on the dust jacket? Just trying to get a little clearer info. They are 33 1/3 RPM LP records with interior comic pages and the inside of the back cover has a gatefold where you place the actual record. They're just like the Power Records series but are 12" LP album sized and rather than containing 1 story, they collect several of the Power Records 7" 45 RPMs into one 12" LP compilation. They're either reprint collections or variants with additional material that would be listed as variants to several different entries already in the database.

7) If there's no comic, then they don't belong in the database, IMO. To clarify, for the audio portion, the records collect like 4 or 5 of the previous Power Records 7" 45 RPM issues (the Batmans are all on 1 album, the Spider Mans are on another). For the comic portion, there are only like 5 or 6 of the actual comic panels from each story printed on the back cover of the album. It looks something like a month on a calender with each week representing 1 track. Technically they're partial (very much so) reprints like say if you took 6 panels from a single comic book and put them in a row.[/quote]
SwiftMann
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 9:34:56 PM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

I took a run at cleaning up the Power Records PR series several months ago. All info was based on the handful (mostly early Marvel ones) I have in my collection and one of the better Power Records blogs.

1) I don't think there was anything explicit claiming that 1st printings had X label and second printings had Y label. I may have left questions in the cases where I didn't have physical evidence one way or another. The only certainty was when they didn't print a price on the cover. Anything is open game. Need Works were just the ones I had specific questions on.

2) Stickered under the shrinkwrap sounds like a valid variant to me.

3,4,6) Honestly, I'd like to see the different formats (including the ones already in the PR series) listed separately, if at all. The PRs are comic book format books, which makes for easy inclusion. Once they started going to the more traditional record formats I even question their inclusion at all.

5,7) No comics = No inclusion.

Has DC Done Something Stupid Today?

"The return of beards and 90's fashion makes hipsters and homeless people impossible to tell apart." - Woody, Quantum & Woody #5
MoonKnight1
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 8:02:06 AM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

I have about a dozen of these, if there's any way I can help let me know.

#10-A Spider-Man
10-B Spider-Man
13-A FF
14 (x2) Frankenstein
18 Planet of the Apes
19 Planet of the Apes
25 Star Trek
26 Star Trek
31 Conan
45 Star Trek

Closing in on 600 Hero Ratings! Now with more than 16,000 comics listed and thousands more to come! To all of my Fantastic Customers I say, Thank You! Keep watching.

Now with 1,500+ positive feedback on the four letter site!
Standing offer to all CCL Members - every purchase you make from my other store (link below) earns you at least one freebie of my choice! If you purchase from Hall Liquidations send a PM to Hall of Heroes and let me know! Thanks!

Hall Liquidations
TMNT figure lot

CCComics
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 2:00:44 PM

That's great, I have access to a ton of these as well so we can get a lot in. But I'm holding off until I get official go aheads from the approvers.
sgriffin
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 2:47:23 PM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Policies, Member, Subscriber

You already have the go ahead - please start submitting. Keep in mind we may ask a lot of questions as we try to figure out how best to handle the information you're providing, but that's just us being thorough.

Megalomaniac Extraordinaire
MoonKnight1
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 2:54:26 PM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Cool. I don't have that many but I will help if I can.

Closing in on 600 Hero Ratings! Now with more than 16,000 comics listed and thousands more to come! To all of my Fantastic Customers I say, Thank You! Keep watching.

Now with 1,500+ positive feedback on the four letter site!
Standing offer to all CCL Members - every purchase you make from my other store (link below) earns you at least one freebie of my choice! If you purchase from Hall Liquidations send a PM to Hall of Heroes and let me know! Thanks!

Hall Liquidations
TMNT figure lot

CCComics
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2013 6:44:20 PM

Approvers please check out my 2 new Title submissions with supporting links. Want to start adding these.

Also check out the variants submitted.
padreglcc
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2013 7:04:38 PM

Groups: Approver, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, DC Host, Forum Admin, Member, Moderator, New Releases Host, Reviews Host, Subscriber

CCComics wrote:
Approvers please check out my 2 new Title submissions with supporting links. Want to start adding these.

Left a question on each regarding how many there are.

“One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say.” ~ Bryant H. McGill

Please make sure you read and understand the Forum Rules here.