Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Silly question about toy collecting Options
freakdylan
Posted: Saturday, June 08, 2013 10:11:25 PM

Groups: Member

Ok so my son is to young to start really enjoying comics or collecting them as he likes, sitting on them, rolling them up, throwing them and using them as towels, blankets and even a spoon.

So I was thinking about starting to collect action figures for him, this way he could still play with them, and hopefully not break them, but at the same time start a collection he can have for years to come.

Anyways, I was trying to get a little info about action figure collecting.

Obviously unboxed is preferred but doubt that will happen. So do collectible action figures still increase in value after they have been unpacked?

What are some good action figures to collect that they still make or have both cheap and expensive ones?

I was thinking about transformers since he does like robots but not sure how they hold value etc? Are some types of transformers better? American vs Japanese? etc

Any thoughts or tips would be cool since I know nothing about toy collecting, I used, abused and threw all mine away as a kid.

Thanks to the following sellers for helping me put together my complete run of Amazing Spider-man #1-700

ComicsCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Now for the sellers helping me finish my TMNT collection:

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics

Shadowdodger
Posted: Saturday, June 08, 2013 11:48:03 PM

For most collector's MOC is preferred, but like everything else opinions vary.

I don't know how old your son is so I'll go with my boy as an example.

My son is five and we started him off with the Imaginext DC Superheroes.

http://www.fisher-price.com/img/product_shots/M5652_d_1.jpg

They have a whole line of Batman/Superman toys that are really well-made and can take a beating.

When he started showing interest in Transformers (finally) we got him the Rescue Bots. They are easy to transform and are perfect for the youngsters. And believe me, you don't want your 5 year-old man-handling your G1 Jetfire.

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/attach/7/3/8/6/3/Transformers-Rescue-Bots-Concept-CGI-2_1298145898.jpg

As he's gotten a little older, I've experimented with slightly more advanced Transformers. Just today I picked him up the new Transformers Generations Optimus Prime w/ Roller (Legends class)

http://www.seibertron.com/images/toys/uploads/1364257050_HTA1421CClg.jpg

Anyway, hope that helped a little bit and please don't hesitate to ask more questions.

Shadowdodger says: "Shop at these fine stores"

Bamf!!!! Hall of Heroes ComicsMD ComicVortex
Comic Hunter Legends Comix and Games Blue Moon Comics Comic Cellar
freakdylan
Posted: Sunday, June 09, 2013 12:51:43 PM

Shadowdodger wrote:
For most collector's MOC is preferred, but like everything else opinions vary.

I don't know how old your son is so I'll go with my boy as an example.

My son is five and we started him off with the Imaginext DC Superheroes.

http://www.fisher-price.com/img/product_shots/M5652_d_1.jpg

They have a whole line of Batman/Superman toys that are really well-made and can take a beating.

When he started showing interest in Transformers (finally) we got him the Rescue Bots. They are easy to transform and are perfect for the youngsters. And believe me, you don't want your 5 year-old man-handling your G1 Jetfire.

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/attach/7/3/8/6/3/Transformers-Rescue-Bots-Concept-CGI-2_1298145898.jpg

As he's gotten a little older, I've experimented with slightly more advanced Transformers. Just today I picked him up the new Transformers Generations Optimus Prime w/ Roller (Legends class)

http://www.seibertron.com/images/toys/uploads/1364257050_HTA1421CClg.jpg

Anyway, hope that helped a little bit and please don't hesitate to ask more questions.

Thanks for the info and my son is few months off of 5.

We tried the batman as well as some of the other superhero action figures but for some reason my son has a fascination with bad guys. So in avengers movie he makes us fast forward to the Loki parts, lol

Which is why I was thinking transformers as all robots can be bad, lol. I will definitely check those out. I just wish CCL had better action figure selection.

Thanks to the following sellers for helping me put together my complete run of Amazing Spider-man #1-700

ComicsCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics

kevscomics
Posted: Sunday, June 09, 2013 2:33:01 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber, Super Seller

My son is also 5, we started with the imaginext dc and marvel super hero squad... But he loves it all, we buy loose figure lots on eBay, star wars, gi joe, marvel... U name it...
freakdylan
Posted: Sunday, June 09, 2013 3:13:50 PM

kevscomics wrote:
My son is also 5, we started with the imaginext dc and marvel super hero squad... But he loves it all, we buy loose figure lots on eBay, star wars, gi joe, marvel... U name it...

Yea tried the star wars figures (short squat ones, sorry cant remember brand name) But he picked out Darth vader, Bobba Fett and jengo fett, all the rest went in a box, lol.

I think I am going to try out Transfomers next and see how that goes, it will also give me an excuse to wife why we need a G1 jetfire (just looked up) and they look cool, lol.

ComicsCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics

MoonKnight1
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2013 8:48:01 AM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Hey Dylan, doesn't your son like alien looking robots with big guns? Laughing (still trying to find those missiles for you!).

I'm sadly out of date on some of the newer toy lines but I know that when I was a kid I liked the Voltron toys, Shogun Warriors and other kinds of "big robot" types including, obviously, Transformers.

If he likes the Star Wars figs I have about 300 Power of the Force 2 characters MOC. Lots of bad guys, Greedo, Bounty Hunters, droids, Stormtroopers galore, Emperor, Boba Fett, Darth, you name it - I've probably got it.

I'm willing to let them go REAL cheap if you (or anyone else) are interested.Call Me

Fantastic News! Hall of Heroes has now surpassed 600 Hero Ratings! I couldn't have done it without all of you and I will strive to maintain and improve my high standards. Which brings me to my next announcement - starting now, all shipments will come with tracking at no extra charge to you! I'm a little late to the party but as they say - better late than never. You spoke and I heard you loud and clear. Excelsior!

Hall Liquidations

freakdylan
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2013 1:12:34 PM

MoonKnight1 wrote:
Hey Dylan, doesn't your son like alien looking robots with big guns? Laughing (still trying to find those missiles for you!).

Yea he loves robots, probably because they can all be bad guys, lol

MoonKnight1 wrote:
I'm sadly out of date on some of the newer toy lines but I know that when I was a kid I liked the Voltron toys, Shogun Warriors and other kinds of "big robot" types including, obviously, Transformers.

As a kid I loved Voltron and the Shogun Warriors. I have considered those but they are so damn big, 5 or 6 of them and rooms full.

MoonKnight1 wrote:
If he likes the Star Wars figs I have about 300 Power of the Force 2 characters MOC. Lots of bad guys, Greedo, Bounty Hunters, droids, Stormtroopers galore, Emperor, Boba Fett, Darth, you name it - I've probably got it.

I'm willing to let them go REAL cheap if you (or anyone else) are interested.Call Me

Not sure what the POF2 ones are he has all of the playskool ones but lost interest within a day or two.

ComicsCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics