Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » The Water Cooler » Sports » Tour de France 2013
aaus
Thursday, June 27, 2013 6:09:49 AM
Rank: Sidekick
Groups: Member
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Joined: 1/30/2013 | Posts: 68 | Points: 204
Tour de France is coming up! I think it will be an exciting tour this year. There are a lot of important contestants.

Anybody else interested?
“Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.”
ukblueky
Thursday, June 27, 2013 9:57:55 AM
Rank: Celestial
Groups: Member
Location: Kentucky
Joined: 4/7/2007 | Posts: 4,235 | Points: 12,705
I can't speak for every American but from my experience I have yet to meet one person who cares about this event. Not trying to dismiss anyone for liking anything. Different strokes for different folks. Personally I don't consider riding a bike a sport.I also don't consider Nascar drivers athletes. That always annoys me when sports commentators call someone who drives a car an athlete. Back to topic. Maybe the Tour De France is bigger(peoples interest) in other countries. I can see this. Soccer and cricket are like that. The majority of Americans have zero interest in soccer or cricket but we get that the rest of the world love them.
Tamwood
Thursday, June 27, 2013 10:53:18 AM
Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber
Location: Indiana
Joined: 11/13/2009 | Posts: 1,956 | Points: 212,962
The Tour de France is a joke. I don't think they've had a clean "winner" in the last 20 years. Definitely one event that just needs to go away.
Thundercron
Thursday, June 27, 2013 1:09:18 PM
Rank: Celestial
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Location: Redland, Oregon
Joined: 9/14/2008 | Posts: 3,409 | Points: 39,783
Shop at My Store
ukblueky wrote:
I can't speak for every American but from my experience I have yet to meet one person who cares about this event. Not trying to dismiss anyone for liking anything. Different strokes for different folks. Personally I don't consider riding a bike a sport.I also don't consider Nascar drivers athletes. That always annoys me when sports commentators call someone who drives a car an athlete. Back to topic. Maybe the Tour De France is bigger(peoples interest) in other countries. I can see this. Soccer and cricket are like that. The majority of Americans have zero interest in soccer or cricket but we get that the rest of the world love them.


I agree. But I'll also say this applies to lots of other elite events like the Olympics. It used to be that competitions used to really rally the American people, EVERYONE would follow these sporting events. It helped that back then cable wasn't so widespread, so the odds of people tuning in was pretty high. Nowadays, everyone's interests are so fractured from one another that there's no sense of American community anymore.

Wow, that was a weird tangent.

Also, regarding the Tour de France this year--is Lance riding??Laughing Laughing Rolling on the Floor Rolling on the Floor
jbeeman85
Thursday, June 27, 2013 3:07:03 PM
Rank: Watcher
Groups: Member
Location: Nashville, TN
Joined: 7/11/2011 | Posts: 943 | Points: 3,027
It's going to take a while before any winner of the Tour de France can win without people immediately accusing him of doping. Even if you pass multiple drug tests, people will never drop it. It blows my mind that so many people that don't remotely care about the race, nor will they ever watch even a few minutes of it, seem to care so much whether or not a racer was "clean".

I'm not a close follower of cycling but I will tune in from time to time and check up on who is leading and how any Americans are doing.
aaus
Saturday, June 29, 2013 10:50:33 AM
Rank: Sidekick
Groups: Member
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Joined: 1/30/2013 | Posts: 68 | Points: 204
I think it's a bit harsh to say that every single winner of last years are cheaters. There were a lot of cheaters and liars in the sport, but it doesn't mean every one of them were guilty.

BTW it is really ironic that the biggest cheater of all time is also the most inspiring hero of all time... Yes, you know whom I mean.

Anyway, first stage was today. It was chaotic and exciting. The forthcoming 3 weeks will be really fun for me!
“Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.”
ukblueky
Saturday, June 29, 2013 2:23:27 PM
Rank: Celestial
Groups: Member
Location: Kentucky
Joined: 4/7/2007 | Posts: 4,235 | Points: 12,705
aaus wrote:


BTW it is really ironic that the biggest cheater of all time is also the most inspiring hero of all time... Yes, you know whom I mean.



Do you mean the biggest hero to bicyclist? Cause I think your referring to Armstrong and if you are I don't know anyone who ever thought he was the "most inspiring hero". Heck I never thought of him as inspiring or a hero even before he was found guilty. He rode a bike and had one testicle( I think) that hardly qualifies him as a hero or inspiring in my book. Sure he was a cancer survivor but he was rich. He could afford the best doctors and latest and best cancer treatments. Even surviving cancer he was a cheater.
aaus
Saturday, June 29, 2013 4:07:11 PM
Rank: Sidekick
Groups: Member
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Joined: 1/30/2013 | Posts: 68 | Points: 204
ukblueky wrote:
aaus wrote:


BTW it is really ironic that the biggest cheater of all time is also the most inspiring hero of all time... Yes, you know whom I mean.



Do you mean the biggest hero to bicyclist? Cause I think your referring to Armstrong and if you are I don't know anyone who ever thought he was the "most inspiring hero". Heck I never thought of him as inspiring or a hero even before he was found guilty. He rode a bike and had one testicle( I think) that hardly qualifies him as a hero or inspiring in my book. Sure he was a cancer survivor but he was rich. He could afford the best doctors and latest and best cancer treatments. Even surviving cancer he was a cheater.


Yes, I mean Armstrong by saying most inspiring hero. But of course for the cycling world. Maybe he was not a very good model of sportsmanship, but I think being a serious cancer survivor was a big deal. He came back from an almost career-ending disease and tried get on the bike again.

Even after his confession, I still respect his fighting spirit. Unfortunately it doesn't change that he is a meticulous doper.

Wov, I have mixed feelings about himConfused
“Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.”
Users browsing this topic
Guest

Forum Jump

Access

You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

This page was generated in 0.146 seconds.
(0.083 seconds)

All images on comic collector live copyright of their respective publishers. © Copyright 2015, MidTen Media Inc. GOLO241