Buying Comics And Stuff
Selling Your Comics
Opening A Store
Community
Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
will definately not be keeping the store open...still processing and shipping orders though Options
SilverOkami
Posted: Monday, June 24, 2013 8:28:07 PM
Groups: Member

Well, I don't know if anyone else got a message from them, but Angie replied to me and said that they couldn't find those three missing books, so I'm getting a refund.
b0bafett
Posted: Monday, June 24, 2013 9:55:14 PM

Groups: Guru, Member

Let us know if you get the refund
SilverOkami
Posted: Monday, June 24, 2013 9:59:09 PM

b0bafett wrote:
Let us know if you get the refund

I'll do that.
lbej
Posted: Thursday, June 27, 2013 6:12:43 PM

Groups: Member, Moderator, Subscriber

I just filed a mail fraud complaint against Don Flores with the U.S. Postal Inspection Service. I sent him one final message on 6/23; like the three before it, it was left unread. I filed my claim online and the process was very straightforward--selling merchandise and failing to deliver is very clearly an example of mail fraud according to the USPS. I see that Don continues to post in the Seller's Corner to claim that he's shipping orders, and while that may or may not be true for others, he's certainly not shipping my orders, responding to messages, or issuing promised refunds. His behavior is not just unprofessional--it's criminal. If anyone else is interested, information about mail fraud and online claim forms are available here:

https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/investigations/mailfraud/mailfraud.aspx

Good luck to all the other buyers who are still waiting for Don Flores to deliver books for which he was paid two and three months ago.

Please make sure you read and understand the forum rules here
SilverOkami
Posted: Thursday, June 27, 2013 6:22:41 PM

lbej wrote:
I just filed a mail fraud complaint against Don Flores with the U.S. Postal Inspection Service. I sent him one final message on 6/23; like the three before it, it was left unread. I filed my claim online and the process was very straightforward--selling merchandise and failing to deliver is very clearly an example of mail fraud according to the USPS. I see that Don continues to post in the Seller's Corner to claim that he's shipping orders, and while that may or may not be true for others, he's certainly not shipping my orders, responding to messages, or issuing promised refunds. His behavior is not just unprofessional--it's criminal. If anyone else is interested, information about mail fraud and online claim forms are available here:

https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/investigations/mailfraud/mailfraud.aspx

Good luck to all the other buyers who are still waiting for Don Flores to deliver books for which he was paid two and three months ago.

In all honesty, had he not been consistently posting updates on the Seller's Corner, I probably would've filed a claim long before he ever shipped mine. However, I'm only out 3 books and $4 so I don't feel the need to file a claim against him. For me, it's been 3 days since Angie replied to my message saying that they are going to give me a refund for the missing books. I won't lie, I am annoyed that they "couldn't find" three books (meaning their physical store, assuming they have one, sold it without informing the digital group that it's not for sale anymore. But considering it's only $4, it's not worth filing a claim over. However, I totally understand you filing a claim for a whole order.
lbej
Posted: Thursday, June 27, 2013 7:49:46 PM

I'm missing books from 5 orders and 4 additional orders never shipped, so I'm out $128. As to the 'missing books,' if you look back through this thread at others whose orders have been partially filled (many, many others), it's not an issue of a physical store out of sync with the online version. Don has been consistently shipping orders without notifying the buyers that books are missing, even though the missing books are typically the high-dollar variants. These are all books that Don had listed at $10, $20, even $50+ before he marked them all down to $3. You can bet he didn't just lose track of those books. It's awfully convenient that if there's going to be one or two books missing from an order, it's the expensive ones. Makes it easier to claim that you filled the whole order (based on tracking and weight) while holding on to the more valuable items and an outsized portion of the purchase amount.

I probably wouldn't file a claim over $4, either. But consider that dozens of buyers may be short $3 here or $10 there. That adds up to a decent amount of money (especially if Don keeps both the high-dollar books and the cash). Don has no ongoing stake in CCL and no remaining Paypal liability, and the pattern of missing books looks a lot like a smoking gun to me.

SilverOkami
Posted: Sunday, June 30, 2013 12:40:15 AM

lbej wrote:
I'm missing books from 5 orders and 4 additional orders never shipped, so I'm out $128. As to the 'missing books,' if you look back through this thread at others whose orders have been partially filled (many, many others), it's not an issue of a physical store out of sync with the online version. Don has been consistently shipping orders without notifying the buyers that books are missing, even though the missing books are typically the high-dollar variants. These are all books that Don had listed at $10, $20, even $50+ before he marked them all down to $3. You can bet he didn't just lose track of those books. It's awfully convenient that if there's going to be one or two books missing from an order, it's the expensive ones. Makes it easier to claim that you filled the whole order (based on tracking and weight) while holding on to the more valuable items and an outsized portion of the purchase amount.

I probably wouldn't file a claim over $4, either. But consider that dozens of buyers may be short $3 here or $10 there. That adds up to a decent amount of money (especially if Don keeps both the high-dollar books and the cash). Don has no ongoing stake in CCL and no remaining Paypal liability, and the pattern of missing books looks a lot like a smoking gun to me.

Like I said, I totally get where you're coming from. The sheer volume of what you lost is insane and I truly do feel for you; I'm always afraid of stuff like that happening, but other than these three "missing" books from this order, it's never happened to me. People like you who lost more than just a couple dollars should definitely file claims because you need the money back more than people like me do.
As an aside, I just find it funny that I bought two $3 books and the one I wanted the least was the one I actually received while the one I actively need for my collection was "missing."
Atilla2k
Posted: Sunday, June 30, 2013 10:35:45 AM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

Don is criminal scum and totally deserves what he gets.

comicscastle
Posted: Sunday, June 30, 2013 10:45:35 AM

Groups: Approver, Approver Steward, CR-Management, Forum Admin, Grade My Book Host, Guru, History Host, Member, Super Seller, Tool

Shop at My Store

Atilla2k wrote:
Don is criminal scum and totally deserves what he gets.
Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel.

The following stores are all stores that I've dealt with or have become friends with through the forums and I highly recommend them all.
Comics Castle-owned & operated by Pat McCauslin
Alpha Comics--ComicVortex--Metropolis Connections 2.0--Comic Cellar

jmbarnes101
Posted: Sunday, June 30, 2013 4:30:52 PM

I'm still short 3 orders worth about $75. I've been told they'd ship that week both times I asked. That was two weeks ago and they've shipped orders well beyond my order number. I'm giving them until the end of the month at which time I will be filing a mail claim as well.
Thundercron
Posted: Sunday, June 30, 2013 4:53:29 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

jmbarnes101 wrote:
I'm still short 3 orders worth about $75. I've been told they'd ship that week both times I asked. That was two weeks ago and they've shipped orders well beyond my order number. I'm giving them until the end of the month at which time I will be filing a mail claim as well.

The end of the month...wait, that's today!
lbej
Posted: Monday, July 01, 2013 7:39:50 AM

jmbarnes101 wrote:

You have nothing to lose by filing a fraud claim, and the more complaints USPS receives, the more likely it is that they will bring charges. In that event, Don will be forced to return the money he's taken or face criminal prosecution. I encourage everyone who's been defrauded to file a claim--it's a straightforward filing and can be completed online.

Atilla2k
Posted: Monday, July 01, 2013 10:11:24 AM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

comicscastle wrote:
Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel.

Rolling on the Floor That would likely get me banned...Don't Tell Anyone

robofan78
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2013 8:53:15 AM
Groups: Member, Subscriber

I always had good luck with CGC and they were one of my favorite sellers. You have to understand that he received hundreds of orders and most of the orders were probably well over 100-200 books each. His prices were so low you had to order that many just to get free shipping. I sell comics on auction sites and I know how long it takes to pull large orders and pack them safely to survive the trip. For example, one of my orders I placed was 145 books and it was only $28 with free shipping on top of it….not worth the time to fill that order in my opinion, and I bet he even lost money on shipping huge heavy boxes. I realize he was the one who made the decision to have the sale, but cut the guy some slack. Honestly, I think all the people on here that are being nasty and complaining about Don by calling him a crook, plus now filing mail fraud against him, probably made him say screw it and walk away. I understand the frustration, he should have just cancelled the orders and sent refunds when he realized it was too much.
With that said, I myself had placed about 7-8 orders and I was receiving them along with prompt messages from them, but unfortunately I also never got the last 3 orders I placed. I also had missing books out of each order and didn’t receive refunds for some of those, so I have lost a good amount as well. Paypal is a joke because they only allow 45 days from purchase to file, so unless Don is still filling orders, I am out that money. A good lesson here is to use your credit card through paypal because even though paypal is 45 days, you can always file through your card company. Here is to hoping we eventually all receive what we paid for….
lbej
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2013 9:56:22 AM

robofan78 wrote:
Honestly, I think all the people on here that are being nasty and complaining about Don by calling him a crook, plus now filing mail fraud against him, probably made him say screw it and walk away. I understand the frustration, he should have just cancelled the orders and sent refunds when he realized it was too much.

This is a ridiculous and offensive thing to say to those of us who've lost money. I never said 'ship my books right now or else,' and I went out of my way to make clear that the shipping delay in itself wasn't an issue for me. I gave Don chance after chance to respond, and over two months he never even read my PMs. I never said one 'nasty' thing that was not, by definition, factually accurate. I filed mail fraud charges because I had no other recourse and I'm not willing to let him take my money and hope he decides one day to do the right thing. If that's your attitude, so be it, but you have no business lecturing those of us who refuse to take this lying down.

You're right that he should have cancelled the orders and issued refunds. He chose not to. No one 'made him' walk away from his commitments. No one 'made him' ship partial orders, promise refunds, and then disappear. I'm not calling you an idiot--I don't know you--but that is an idiotic thing to say.

MoonKnight1
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2013 10:51:36 AM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Let's look at the facts here.

Curious Goods (Don) made the decision to leave CCL and concentrate his efforts elsewhere.

On the way out the door he slashed his prices to ridiculously low levels.

The Sale was a huge success, (this part is speculation) probably bigger than he expected. No wonder, I'm sure Buyers had a field day. Nothing wrong with that, who doesn't like a good bargain?

He stated in his sale announcement that shipping would be slow. Understandable and most people didn't care and if they did then they voluntarily paid to get faster (Priority) shipping.

Buyers on this Forum started to complain about items missing from their orders, usually the high dollar comics. Promised refunds were not received, entire orders not shipped.

These are all facts, easily verified.

Lee doesn't need me to defend him but what has he said?

Don is a thief. When you pay for goods or services and the product is not delivered and the Seller keeps the money - that is theft.

Don is a liar. If you promise someone that they will receive a product or a refund and you do not do so - that's a lie.

Now, you may actually be on to something here:
robofan78 wrote:
one of my orders I placed was 145 books and it was only $28 with free shipping on top of it….not worth the time to fill that order in my opinion, and I bet he even lost money on shipping huge heavy boxes. I realize he was the one who made the decision to have the sale

A box of comics that big has got to weigh about 20 pounds. Media Mail for that is around $11 and Standard Post is just under $35. You add in the cost of the box, packing tape, packing materials, CCL and PayPal fees, labor - you are not getting much profit from that transaction.

But guess what? Did Don voluntarily put himself in that position or was he strong armed or coerced into doing it? You decide.

We've all heard of Buyer's Remorse, this could be an example of Seller's Remorse.

Fantastic News! Hall of Heroes has now surpassed 600 Hero Ratings! I couldn't have done it without all of you and I will strive to maintain and improve my high standards. Which brings me to my next announcement - starting now, all shipments will come with tracking at no extra charge to you! I'm a little late to the party but as they say - better late than never. You spoke and I heard you loud and clear. Excelsior!

Now with 1,500+ positive feedback on the four letter site!
Standing offer to all CCL Members - every purchase you make from my other store (link below) earns you at least one freebie of my choice! If you purchase from Hall Liquidations send a PM to Hall of Heroes and let me know! Thanks!

Hall Liquidations

lbej
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2013 12:36:51 PM

MoonKnight1 wrote:

Don is a thief. When you pay for goods or services and the product is not delivered and the Seller keeps the money - that is theft.

Don is a liar. If you promise someone that they will receive a product or a refund and you do not do so - that's a lie.

Not only that, but when you involve the US Mail in these actions, it is a violation of federal law. That means Don committed a crime--repeatedly--which makes him a criminal.

I worked in banking during the 2008 financial crisis, and robofan's nonsense is the kind of thing I heard spouted in defense of the big investment banks--compliance was too expensive, regulations were too onerous, customers were too demanding. What were they supposed to do?

They weren't supposed to lie and steal. Don Flores isn't supposed to lie and steal. I won't stand for it and I'll do everything I can to hold him accountable. No one has to help me, but to blame me and the other victims for being victimized is reprehensible.

comicuniversity
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2013 3:23:06 PM
Groups: Member, Moderator

Guys. I have been saying this from the start. And, quite frankly, when he offered this obviously ridiculuos sale, everyone should have seen through it.

He was obviously trying to come up with quick capital for some reason or other.
(likely completely unconnected to comics. I mean, I could only guess what it is....but, judging from his clearly unethical business practices and complete inability to give a crap about anyone but himself, I think we can all make some logical guesses. I would guess his pyramid scheme fell apart and he was about a months rent payment away from the street...but I dont really know.)
So, he came up with this scam. And, he raked in the cash.

Then, like any good swindler...he didnt just take the money and run. No, he strung things out as long as he possibly could. He ran this sham of a sales thread, trumpeting his shippings. He followed throgh on just enough sales so some rubes would speak up for him. Why would he do that, you ask? welp, the longer a crime goes unreported, the less likely the criminal is ever going to actually be brought to justice....plus, whatever he needed the quick cash for may have necessitated it anyways. Your money is already gone people. Also....he wanted to keep his pipeline of victims open.

Don will be back. He will be back under a pseudonym I am sure but he'll be back. Why am I so sure of this? Welp, because there are enough easy marks on this site to fall for it all over again. And, this very thread (with people who have been screwed by Don, actually, believe it or not, actually sticking up for him. I mean....that's actualy happening) proves that.

Why does this all make me so passionate? easy. Criminals and scam artists ruin the hobby for everybody else. I love this hobby.....and HATE anything that ruins it. As should we all.

Listen, Don may not always have been a thief and scam artist. I have no way of knowing. But he is now. Don't ever enter into any kind of agreement with this person ever again. Fair warning.

lbej
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2013 3:42:56 PM

comicuniversity wrote:
Your money is already gone people.

If so, I can live with that. What I can't live with is walking away in resignation without having hit back every way I can.

I'm also getting very, very tired of the lectures from both sides. On the one hand, there's 'you should give Don a chance and not say such mean things,' and one the other hand, there's 'you should have known this was a scam.' Do you feel superior now, telling me and others what we should have done? Fine. You told me so. Hooray for you. Now that you've got it out of your system, maybe this thread can go back to being focused on what we can do now, however little chance any of it has of succeeding.

comicuniversity
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2013 4:02:21 PM
Groups: Member, Moderator

lbej wrote:
comicuniversity wrote:
Your money is already gone people.

If so, I can live with that. What I can't live with is walking away in resignation without having hit back every way I can.

I'm also getting very, very tired of the lectures from both sides. On the one hand, there's 'you should give Don a chance and not say such mean things,' and one the other hand, there's 'you should have known this was a scam.' Do you feel superior now, telling me and others what we should have done? Fine. You told me so. Hooray for you. Now that you've got it out of your system, maybe this thread can go back to being focused on what we can do now, however little chance any of it has of succeeding.

Not trying to say i told you so.

Just trying to ring the bell of warning.

Scam artists can only continue to be successful if people fail to recognize them as such.

One of the things we can do now, is make sure people are aware of this guy and don't fall prey in the future.