Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Mile High--seriously? Options
outcast
Posted: Monday, July 01, 2013 8:57:00 PM
Groups: Member, Newsstand Edition Host

It's been a while since I've pointed out one of Mile High's errors regarding newsstand comics. I have come across one that is so egregious that it's worth reporting here.

Dark Horse's Martha Washington Dies, published in 2007, may or may not have had a newsstand version. But the "cover" (actually a back cover) shown on the Mile High site certainly provides no evidence that it did:

That's clearly a direct-sales format UPC barcode, NOT a newsstand-format barcode!

What the heck is with MHC these days? They're not making enough money letting their grading standards slip, so they've got to resort to fraudulent representations? Or is there another explanation?
SwiftMann
Posted: Monday, July 01, 2013 9:03:53 PM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Milehigh's newsstand variants are often a disaster in their attempts to rip people off more than usual. This is clearly a case of the UPC not explicitly noting Direct and some employee deciding it must be newsstand.

Has DC Done Something Stupid Today?

"The return of beards and 90's fashion makes hipsters and homeless people impossible to tell apart." - Woody, Quantum & Woody #5
outcast
Posted: Monday, July 01, 2013 9:12:06 PM

SwiftMann wrote:
...This is clearly a case of the UPC not explicitly noting Direct and some employee deciding it must be newsstand.
I think you're right. I don't know how I missed that.

Even so, does any MHC employee get to deem any comic not explicitly marked "Direct Sales" or "Direct Edition" as a newsstand comic? Where is the quality control?
Xylob
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2013 6:38:02 AM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

outcast wrote:
Where is the quality control?
They've never had any.

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
icarus201
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2013 8:16:55 AM

Groups: Approver, CR-Policies, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, UK Host

outcast wrote:
SwiftMann wrote:
...This is clearly a case of the UPC not explicitly noting Direct and some employee deciding it must be newsstand.
I think you're right. I don't know how I missed that.

Even so, does any MHC employee get to deem any comic not explicitly marked "Direct Sales" or "Direct Edition" as a newsstand comic? Where is the quality control?

You shouldn't be in any way surprised by this. As I pointed out once, if a company can list hundreds of items for sale at exorbitant prices that don't even exist/were never published (in the case of Marvel UK titles), then they definitely employ some dubious business practises that I wouldn't entertain with my time or money.

Marvel Universe® ~ No-one Ever Really Dies.

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
jbeeman85
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2013 9:22:58 AM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

I never really paid close attention to how many non-existent comics they had listed. The crazy high prices for issues that I can find on this site for only a couple of dollars makes me wonder how they get people to actually buy from them in the first place. I'm not saying that they're a bad store because I never dealt with them and don't want to come off wrong. Has anybody here ever bought from them before? Just wondering.
Xylob
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2013 1:29:18 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

My hold slot is with Mile High - I'm getting more titles now than I did at my last LCS and spending substantially less each month.
Just got a big fat stack of back issues from them - I saved about 35% over what it would have cost me to get the same stuff here. Code Word sales are the only time I buy from their site, fortunately they have them regularly.
I'm only buying 'reading' copies, so I always shoot for the cheapest issue available, regardless of whether I'm buying here, Mile High, or ebay.

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
lbej
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2013 3:32:15 PM

Groups: Member, Moderator, Subscriber

I do buy from Mile High, but not nearly as often as from other sources. I'd say my back issue purchase dollars run about 50% CCL, 25% Lone Star, 15% eBay and 10% Mile High and others. I also never buy from MHC except during code word sales, but in my experience, most of their inventory is so overpriced that a 60% discount still leaves them at least 60% above market. That's not true of everything they have, of course, but low-grade Silver Age especially is way overpriced.

That said, I have found myself rifling through longboxes at Heroes Con alongside Chuck Rozanski at least two separate times, and I can tell you for a fact that the man puts in the work. Does that justify charging 5x guide for low-grade Sea Devils? Probably not. But it was still pretty cool to see.

Please make sure you read and understand the forum rules here
outcast
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2013 9:09:08 PM

jbeeman85 wrote:
Has anybody here ever bought from them before? Just wondering.
Yes, I used to order from MHC with some frequency. Say what you will about MHC's pricing, their selection almost makes up for it. CCL has a nice selection of comics for sale, often attractively priced, but it's a lot of effort to minimize your number of orders and your shipping charges. At MHC, you can put everything into one order and, if you meet a specified minimum, pay no shipping at all.

As I have said here before, what soured me on MHC were (1) their failure to meet their own stated grading standards, and (2) their unconscionable recalcitrance in making things right when (1) was pointed out and the books in question were returned. When they offer (as they are doing right now) 60% off their standard prices, it's enough to get me to start putting items in a cart. So far, though, it hasn't been enough for me to turn the cart into an order.
ratrapp
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2013 5:25:06 AM
Groups: Member

i have only bought from them a few times.my only complaint was slow shipping.
freakdylan
Posted: Monday, July 08, 2013 3:51:34 PM

Groups: Member

Mile high definitely has a problem with wrong or error pics but you cant beat the selection they have.

Also if you wait till they have the 60% codewords they have some super bargains. I just picked up Amazing Spiderman #57, 80 and annual #4 all CGC graded 7.5, all for the low low price of $150 after huge discount. Would have cost me about $250 here but these are slabbed. Well they were slabbed as soon as they arrive going to cut them loose, lol.

Thanks to the following sellers for helping me put together my complete run of Amazing Spider-man #1-700

ComicCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Now for the sellers helping me finish my TMNT collection:

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics