Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Man of Steel Early Screening! Options
MER
Posted: Saturday, June 29, 2013 3:21:16 PM

Groups: Member

sgriffin wrote:
I was with the movie up until the big fight scenes. Superman showed a total disregard for the safety of those around him during those fights. Shot after shot of him punching one bad guy or another through occupied buildings - it's hard not to think people died every time he did that. They could have shown that he was at least *trying* to save people, that he *tried* to take the fights somewhere else. But because he didn't care, I didn't really care when we got to the last scene with Zod. He can do whatever he wants there - he's not Superman.

I was thinking the same thing half way through that fight too. I noticed at least 3x there were references to Jesus or to the Christian religion. After the first one I rolled my eyes and cried silently "I get it! I get it!"

I do like how more understandable Zod is in this one. This movie is a "Meh", much better than the last one. I generally don't like Superman, but I saw the film for my bf's sake who REALLY wanted to see it.

"(shouting)I'm not a window cleaner!"
-Roy (The IT Crowd)

Q: Who's the best opponent to fight in the X-Men's Danger Room?
A: Unicorns and Butterflies

Ode to get Tommy out of lurking-
"Punisher is not good. No response? I guess everyone agrees"
BurningDoom
Posted: Saturday, June 29, 2013 5:37:28 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

sgriffin wrote:
I was with the movie up until the big fight scenes. Superman showed a total disregard for the safety of those around him during those fights. Shot after shot of him punching one bad guy or another through occupied buildings - it's hard not to think people died every time he did that. They could have shown that he was at least *trying* to save people, that he *tried* to take the fights somewhere else. But because he didn't care, I didn't really care when we got to the last scene with Zod. He can do whatever he wants there - he's not Superman.

Like I've already pointed out. Even thought people aren't saying this is true to Superman's character, this is exactly how Superman dealt with Zod in the comics. Go read the Supergirl Saga in the early Post-Crisis issues of Superman, specifically Superman v2 #23.

It's a defining moment in Superman's career that shapes his morals and is referenced to years after the fact even.

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
comicuniversity
Posted: Saturday, June 29, 2013 6:13:54 PM
Groups: Member, Moderator

BurningDoom wrote:
sgriffin wrote:

Like I've already pointed out. Even thought people aren't saying this is true to Superman's character, this is exactly how Superman dealt with Zod in the comics. Go read the Supergirl Saga in the early Post-Crisis issues of Superman, specifically Superman v2 #23.

It's a defining moment in Superman's career that shapes his morals and is referenced to years after the fact even.

That isn't true, Doom. I have read, and own, that story. Superman doesnt show even the slightest hint of wanton disregard for innocent people. In fact.....the massive deaths of innocents caused by Zod and his crew is what drives him to the unconscionable act of killing them...an act, that I might add, leads to him leaving earth for deeep space because he is wracked by guilt.

You are way off base here.
BurningDoom
Posted: Saturday, June 29, 2013 6:32:27 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

comicuniversity wrote:
BurningDoom wrote:
sgriffin wrote:

That isn't true, Doom. I have read, and own, that story. Superman doesnt show even the slightest hint of wanton disregard for innocent people. In fact.....the massive deaths of innocents caused by Zod and his crew is what drives him to the unconscionable act of killing them...an act, that I might add, leads to him leaving earth for deeep space because he is wracked by guilt.

You are way off base here.

I'm talking about him killing Zod. The reason he killed Zod is because of the disregard for innocent life. Can't really blame Superman for getting knocked through a building by Zod. But he could do something about stopping it, which is what happened.

And in the comics he never killed again because of what he did, because he felt so terrible for choosing to kill. If we see in sequels the trend of a ruthless Superman continue, then I'll agree with you.

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
Shizz
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2013 7:52:21 PM

BurningDoom wrote:

Thanks BD, I was going to ask about this myself because I felt it was out of character after watching. You could see the pain in Sups face just after he did what he had to.

Me, I've always been a Sup-Hater. I have 8+ long boxes full of great books, but less than 5% have him even making an appearance. That being said, I loved this movie!!! It was awesome on so many levels. It was just as much of an alien invasion movie than a superhero one. The pure fantasy sci-fi with Krypton was amazing!!!

I only have one gripe, and it is miniscule...... where was the Superman Theme music?! You know the da..dana, dadaaa, dew...dew...dew, that gave me goose bumps even with Superman Returns. I know the movie separated itself totally from the others, but come oooooonnn. Sad Not even a teeny, tiny bit of tease during the end credits(yes I sat through them all)?

The musical score was forgettable. Even the new Batman trilogy had a decent reoccurring theme. That was the only thing that kept me from giving this one an A+. It will have to settle with just an A.

DC definitely has taken off in a different direction than Marvel in the movie department. With the style, type of story, and seriousness I just don't see how they can pull off a Justice League. The individual stories are great, but I don't see them meshing together in a way that does each 'justice'. Big Grin
KingZombie
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2013 8:58:18 PM

Movie was freakin' phenomenal.

'nuff said.