Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Comics Book Ads vs Solicitation Dates (Newstand)... Options
DocRx8482
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 4:07:20 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

Just wanted to check....Most of the recent sales dates I have used are from internal comic book ads (i.e within the pages of DC Comics 50's,60's and early 70's). To me this is viable data, so I'm using it. If someone things otherwise, please voice up so that I know your opinion. Also DC used a 1/2 to one page display in 60's & early 70's issues called Direct Currents. One another note..If someone knows where we can find pre-1974 data resources for sales date on marvel books please let me know.

Thanks.

"Head to the future,
Run from the past,
Hide from the mirror,
And live in a glass,
What dreams forget the whiskey remembers
" (Eric Church/Marv Green)
scotteaves
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 4:49:13 PM

Groups: Approver, Approver Moderator, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Guru, Member, Subscriber

My concern with using dates printed in ads is that if the date changes, the date in the ad is wrong.

I can think of quite a number of comics (not DC and much more recent) with ads in them touting a date that is never met.

comicscastle
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 7:11:10 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

I know from buying comics off the racks in the 50's 60's and on that the dates in the DC books are good. I can't ever remember an issue that didn't come out on the date stated. In those days new books came out on Tuesday & Thursday.

The following stores are all stores that I've dealt with or have become friends with through the forums and I highly recommend them all.
Comics Castle-owned & operated by Pat McCauslin
Alpha Comics--ComicVortex--Comic Cellar

jasonrvs
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2011 6:57:41 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

comicscastle wrote:
I know from buying comics off the racks in the 50's 60's and on that the dates in the DC books are good. I can't ever remember an issue that didn't come out on the date stated. In those days new books came out on Tuesday & Thursday.
I'm inclined to take Pat's word on this one. Even if 1% or so were delayed a few days, there's no way we could ever get more accurate dates on comics from this era, so I'm fine with using it. I definitely would NOT use in-comic ads for more recent comics, however.
padreglcc
Posted: Sunday, May 01, 2011 1:03:06 PM

Groups: Approver, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, DC Host, Forum Admin, Member, Moderator, New Releases Host, Subscriber

jasonrvs wrote:
comicscastle wrote:
I'm inclined to take Pat's word on this one. Even if 1% or so were delayed a few days, there's no way we could ever get more accurate dates on comics from this era, so I'm fine with using it. I definitely would NOT use in-comic ads for more recent comics, however.

Stuff from publishers like Image and Aspen is chronically late, even when they do bother to put release dates in ads.

Yeah, I agree with Pat... fine for the older stuff, but not for modern.

“One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say.” ~ Bryant H. McGill

Please make sure you read and understand the Forum Rules here.
Sirs
Posted: Sunday, May 08, 2011 10:30:55 AM

Groups: Member

I agree with Pat good for older stuff, not newer.

You Gotta Go Here

If you can help with anything please check this out

Our Little Binga
DocRx8482
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2012 9:25:21 PM

Been a year since I first posted this. Just wanted to pop up the reminder of where and why I use the refernces I do for the pre-1980 DC books.

"Head to the future,
Run from the past,
Hide from the mirror,
And live in a glass,
DocRx8482
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2013 10:37:23 AM

Just needed to refresh this. It would seem that different approvers have different ideas on the newstand date. Some of my submissions on pre-1980 DC issues are having the newstand date removed when I submit them.

V/R

"Head to the future,
Run from the past,
Hide from the mirror,
And live in a glass,
Thundercron
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2013 10:56:04 AM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

comicscastle wrote:

I saw an interview somewhere with one of Marvel's old brass, talking about fill-in issues (a new release that had reprinted material, or was a stock story that didn't fit with current chronology). He said these were important to use because it was absolutely imperative that a new book met it's scheduled time at the printer. Those printing dates were scheduled out months in advance, so if a book was late to the printer, it just wouldn't get printed. You'd have to wait until the following month for the next print date on that title. Which would be extremely problematic when books are predominately sold on the newsstand. It's not like today where a book can be late, and then just be printed the next week.
outcast
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2013 8:02:31 PM
Groups: Member, Newsstand Edition Host

If I were designing a database for storing data about comics, I would probably implement two release date values: release date (projected) and release date (actual). For more recent comics, both dates might be available, and would often be identical; for older comics, probably only the former would be available (if that). Trying to use one field for both values is just going to confuse users.
Tamwood
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2013 8:21:12 PM

Who cares about projected release dates? We don't add new books to the database until the week before they're released, so it doesn't matter if a book is "projected" to release on 5/5/14 and doesn't release until 5/5/15. It won't be entered until that first week of May 2015, regardless.

As for older issues, we already have enough empty spots in the listings, due to a lack of resources for older issues. A third release date (publish/projected/actual) slot would be a waste of time, space and data.
scotteaves
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2013 8:47:18 PM

Groups: Approver, Approver Moderator, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Guru, Member, Subscriber

outcast wrote:
If I were designing a database for storing data about comics, I would probably implement two release date values: release date (projected) and release date (actual). For more recent comics, both dates might be available, and would often be identical; for older comics, probably only the former would be available (if that). Trying to use one field for both values is just going to confuse users.

No one is trying to use a "projected" release date. Why would you even bring up something so silly as a "projected" release date? So we can see how far behind Aspen really ships their comics??

SwiftMann
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2013 9:48:30 PM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

outcast wrote:
Trying to use one field for both values is just going to confuse users.

Then let's make it clear for those that are somehow confused by the idea of the Sales Date field (which I personally think is nobody).

For books up until the mid 1980s, it was long ago agreed that the sale date in other comics (which aren't far off projections, but the comics that came out the same month or sometimes week) is fine to use in the Sales Date field because most hit those dates and there's nothing better to use for the folks that want to add that info.

For books from the mid 1990s and up, it's the date the books went up for sale at shops. This is easily documented thanks to the ol' Internets and various sources for the information.

And for the mid-80s to the mid-90s, those fields should be left blank since there's no reliable information in the age of incredibly late books.

"Words have meaning." - my wife
Xylob
Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2013 8:00:33 AM

Sources should always be referenced in the CR when adding such data for items that are so old.
Just adding a date in and not providing any kind of source data? Opposite of helpful.

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
Atilla2k
Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2013 8:31:19 AM

Groups: Approver, Member

scotteaves wrote:
No one is trying to use a "projected" release date. Why would you even bring up something so silly as a "projected" release date? So we can see how far behind Aspen really ships their comics??

It’s an insanely absurd idea! Also Aspen is soooooooo bad with release dates it makes me feel like Image is on-time & reliable, lol!

Xylob wrote:
Sources should always be referenced in the CR when adding such data for items that are so old.
Just adding a date in and not providing any kind of source data? Opposite of helpful.

Yeah, people who don't source their info (i.e.-Links) NEED to!Big Grin

Xylob
Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2013 10:24:54 AM

Atilla2k wrote:
...Aspen is soooooooo bad with release dates it makes me feel like Image is on-time & reliable, lol!...
I take it you're not collecting Supreme!
June, August, December, January, never.........

Problems with CCL?
615-264-4747
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

Atilla2k
Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2013 10:39:07 AM

Groups: Approver, Member

Ha! Believe me I know, I'm still waiting for them to finish Clockmaker, lol!

outcast
Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2013 6:51:51 PM

scotteaves wrote:
As you yourself pointed out upthread (two years ago, yes, but in this thread), people have cited and continue to cite on-sale dates from ads in comics published decades ago. These are the dates that I would put in a release date (projected) column. Why would I do this? Because from a data design perspective, putting two different kinds of data into one column is not a best practice.
outcast
Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2013 7:01:48 PM

SwiftMann wrote:
Then let's make it clear for those that are somehow confused by the idea of the Sales Date field (which I personally think is nobody).

For books up until the mid 1980s, it was long ago agreed that the sale date in other comics (which aren't far off projections, but the comics that came out the same month or sometimes week) is fine to use in the Sales Date field because most hit those dates and there's nothing better to use for the folks that want to add that info.

For books from the mid 1990s and up, it's the date the books went up for sale at shops. This is easily documented thanks to the ol' Internets and various sources for the information.

And for the mid-80s to the mid-90s, those fields should be left blank since there's no reliable information in the age of incredibly late books.
Thanks for this explanation. I was not aware of the various shadings of meaning (probably my fault for not closely studying the site's data rules).

I'm not sure I would reach the same conclusion you have regarding reliable information on street dates of comics published from the mid-80s through mid-90s. While I don't dispute that such information is not widely available, there is probably a dealer somewhere who has saved every invoice since opening a store ca. 1981. With such invoices as a primary source, a researcher could conceivably come up with street dates for the overwhelming majority of comics issues published since the advent of direct-sales comics shops.

I wonder if the federal government would fund such research...?
Xylob
Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2013 7:45:41 PM

http://www.comiclistdatabase.com used to have extensive information on release dates, but the site is basically dead & broken now.

Problems with CCL?
615-264-4747

Xylob's Most Wanted: