Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
SUMMER SUPERHERO MOVIE INSANITY!----SPOILERS GALORE Options
comicuniversity
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2013 4:46:20 PM
Groups: Member, Moderator

Reggie wrote:
Back in the day it would have been unheard of to get a blockbuster comic movie like Wolverine. But today, we are so oversaturated with comic book movies that they literally have to be oscar worthy to be any good anymore. This same Wolverine movie would have been sheer awesomeness if it came out in the 90's. But now comic book movies have to make complete sense from every little detail and be perfect from story, plot, score, etc. to be worth a damn in most peoples' eyes anymore and it's kinda sad. It loses the fun a movie like these can have. I for one enjoyed X-Men Origins: Wolverine, some bad parts sure, but come on, it's a freaking Wolverine movie!

All that being said....I'm glad you liked it! Like I have said before, the most fun part of doing these reviews and rankings is the debates that ensue because of them.

If everybody totally agreed with everything...well, that'd be no fun.

I wonder what your opinion is of all the other movies i've rated so far. Do you like all the movies?
Reggie
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2013 5:57:22 PM

Groups: Member

comicuniversity wrote:
Reggie wrote:
Back in the day it would have been unheard of to get a blockbuster comic movie like Wolverine. But today, we are so oversaturated with comic book movies that they literally have to be oscar worthy to be any good anymore. This same Wolverine movie would have been sheer awesomeness if it came out in the 90's. But now comic book movies have to make complete sense from every little detail and be perfect from story, plot, score, etc. to be worth a damn in most peoples' eyes anymore and it's kinda sad. It loses the fun a movie like these can have. I for one enjoyed X-Men Origins: Wolverine, some bad parts sure, but come on, it's a freaking Wolverine movie!

Hey man, you can talk your way around it and try to tell me why i should have liked a movie all you want.

Doesn't change the fact that I thought this was a steaming pile of crap. I mean, you can't convince someone to like a movie that they didn't like. Taste is entirely subjective and personal.

I don't understand your "it, literally, has to be oscarworthy" comment which aint too literal afterall (lol)...since, if you are reading my reviews, I like more of these movies than i don't like.
I am a big fan of Iron man, Man ofSteel, Incredible Hulk,Amazing Spider man and others.....and none of those are filling the roles on oscar night. lol.

Sorry, but, I don't care if it's a comic movie or not. If it's good, it's good. If it's crap, it's crap. And, like I said, i am trying to judge these movies on their own merits---not as a comparison to their originating material.

If you fill a bag full of crap and stamp Wolverine's picture on it......It's still a bag of crap. lol

Don't take offense. My remark was not aimed directly at you at all. I was merely posting my opinion on the way a lot of comic book movies are reviewed by actual fans these days compared to the way they used to or would have been if released earlier. And yes I did enjoy all of the movies you have reviewed so far. They have all been very entertaining. If I had to single one out so far that would be on the bottom of my list, then that would be Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer. That one seemed to be lacking on entertainment value.

comicuniversity
Posted: Sunday, June 30, 2013 10:02:09 AM

SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE

The GOOD:

Reeves plays a great Clark Kent. All the scenes with him as Kent were funny and endearing.

Hackman absolutely chews scenery. Awesome Luthor!

I really liked the cinematography. I know that's weird, but the way the movie was shot...I liked it.

Superman's reaction to the death of Lois was right on the button, and what he did after was cool.

Luthor's hideout and flunkies were cool. MS. TESSMACHER!!!

The Daily Planet scenes were all good.

The suit. I mean, it isn't stylized like in so many superhero movies. Reeves looks like Superman!

Brando as Jor El

The Music. It's absolutely iconic ( and, really iconic. Not the way the word is thrown around today.)

The BAD:

Man, this movie is corny.

It was laughably easy for Luthor to steal nuclear weapons. Not believable.

The phantom zone tease. It was uneccesary. I mean, I realize they were setting up a sequel, but it was jarring.

The kid who plays teenage Clark was awful and every scene with him was painful.

Conclusion:
B+ movie. Really, really fun.

Shizz
Posted: Sunday, June 30, 2013 10:40:40 AM

Soundtrack- A+ I still get goose bumps when I listen to the intro.

The rest of the movie- D(by today's standards), C(by 80's cheese-O-meter)

Just wait till you go back and watch #2's special effects...Wow!!
Thundercron
Posted: Sunday, June 30, 2013 4:56:20 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

comicuniversity wrote:
SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE

The GOOD:

Reeves plays a great Clark Kent. All the scenes with him as Kent were funny and endearing.

Hackman absolutely chews scenery. Awesome Luthor!

I really liked the cinematography. I know that's weird, but the way the movie was shot...I liked it.

Superman's reaction to the death of Lois was right on the button, and what he did after was cool.

Luthor's hideout and flunkies were cool. MS. TESSMACHER!!!

The Daily Planet scenes were all good.

The suit. I mean, it isn't stylized like in so many superhero movies. Reeves looks like Superman!

Brando as Jor El

The Music. It's absolutely iconic ( and, really iconic. Not the way the word is thrown around today.)

The BAD:

Man, this movie is corny.

It was laughably easy for Luthor to steal nuclear weapons. Not believable.

The phantom zone tease. It was uneccesary. I mean, I realize they were setting up a sequel, but it was jarring.

The kid who plays teenage Clark was awful and every scene with him was painful.

Conclusion:
B+ movie. Really, really fun.

You're totally spot on with Superman's reaction to Lois' death. As hokey as spinning the earth backwards is, Christopher Reeve's performance there totally makes it work.

I don't understand why you thought the phantom zone tease was jarring. Shouldn't be anymore jarring than the teases that have been shown in all the other modern-day Marvel films.
comicuniversity
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2013 8:12:02 PM

FANTASTIC FOUR

REVIEW

The GOOD:

The introductions of all the characters are done pretty well.

The characters actually have a learning curve with their powers. They aren't experts right away. it was realistic.

I really like Chris Evans in these movies. He's a great Human Torch.

The scene where Doom fires the heat seeking missile at the Baxter Building and he goes leaping haphazardly off the top of the building. Awesome.

Dooms costume was pretty cool at the end.

Chiklis was great. As Grimm and as Thing.

the final fight was appropriately comic booky. nice.

Jessica Alba is hot.

Ben's relationship with reed is well played.

The BAD:

There was a alot of unblievable moments. Small things. Like....Johnny bursts into flame right in front of a skibunny, but she still wants to hop right into bed with him. Reed treats Sue like crap. All the time. But she still pursues him. ben Grimm, who hates doom, totally falls for his trick, easily. Too many of these moments. Ben turns into a rock monster while he is in one of the greatest medical facilities know to man. Pretty much right where you'd want to be if that happened. right? not him. he escapes and goes after his wife. Oh, yeah...her reaction was stupid too. I mean, how about her for absolute least understandign wife of the year award?

The guy who plays Doom is a horrible actor. every time he opened his mouth I cringed.

Jessica Alba is not a great actress and it shows here.

why, oh why, would they just let Doom get shipped back to Latveria at the end? This is stupid. I realize it sets up the sequel, but it insults my intelligence.

Conclusion:

Straight C movie. Not bad. Not good.

Shizz
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2013 9:05:06 PM

Did you watch the second one first? I agree with most all of your assessment. Especially "Jessica Alba is hot". Though I prefer her as a brunette.
comicuniversity
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2013 8:10:49 AM

Shizz wrote:
Did you watch the second one first? I agree with most all of your assessment. Especially "Jessica Alba is hot". Though I prefer her as a brunette.

Yeah. My son and I are just kind of randomly picking the movies we watch in no particular order.
Luckily we own so many already, and have been able to DVR a ton as well, so we always have a lot to choose from.
Grwurz
Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2013 4:13:04 AM

Thundercron wrote:
Reggie wrote:

Totally agree! People seem to forget that it wasn't too long ago that the best live-action fare around was the Nicholas Hammond Spider-Man tv show, and the Hulk tv show.

Len Wein (Wolverine's creator) was at a convention shortly after this movie came out. He said he enjoyed it.

The Hulk Tv show not that long ago? That was over 30 years ago!! Spider-man? That was almost 40 years ago! That sure made me feel old.

As for the movie reviews, I almost agree with all of them. I thought wolverine was a little better than you gave it credit for... but not much. I also am glad that you pointed out how bad Iron Man III was. Not for the Mandarin twist, which I thought was one of the best things about the movie, but for the protracted scene where Tony gets help from a 12 year old and for some reason the movie turns from Iron Man to Iron Man suits.

Iron Man II and III have been the worst Marvel movies. Its crazy too, since the original Iron Man was so good. That movie was so good, its the reason that there is a Marvel cinematic universe. If that movie was as bad as the other two, I don't think we have a Billion dollar grossing Avengers movie.

Free shipping is available on ANY order $40.00 and above. No minimum books necessary. Whether it's 1 book or 100 books. If it's $40.00 or more, it ships FREE!

Also, if you buy 10 or more $1.00 books, all the $1.00 books are 25% off. Effectively making them $.75 books! I've got hundreds of them!

Come take a look!
Thundercron
Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2013 8:26:15 AM

Shop at My Store

Grwurz wrote:
Thundercron wrote:
Reggie wrote:

Totally agree! People seem to forget that it wasn't too long ago that the best live-action fare around was the Nicholas Hammond Spider-Man tv show, and the Hulk tv show.

Len Wein (Wolverine's creator) was at a convention shortly after this movie came out. He said he enjoyed it.

The Hulk Tv show not that long ago? That was over 30 years ago!! Spider-man? That was almost 40 years ago! That sure made me feel old.

As for the movie reviews, I almost agree with all of them. I thought wolverine was a little better than you gave it credit for... but not much. I also am glad that you pointed out how bad Iron Man III was. Not for the Mandarin twist, which I thought was one of the best things about the movie, but for the protracted scene where Tony gets help from a 12 year old and for some reason the movie turns from Iron Man to Iron Man suits.

Iron Man II and III have been the worst Marvel movies. Its crazy too, since the original Iron Man was so good. That movie was so good, its the reason that there is a Marvel cinematic universe. If that movie was as bad as the other two, I don't think we have a Billion dollar grossing Avengers movie.

Alright, alright...I'll update my original comment for the benefit of all you younglings out there:

People seem to forget that it wasn't too long ago that the best live-action fare around was the Generation X, Nick Fury, and Man-Thing made for tv movies.

Y'know, I think that statement supports my point even more than my original citations.
comicuniversity
Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2013 9:38:09 AM

LOL.

I would actually credit the Nicholson/Keaton Batman movie from 1989 as the beginning of the modern comic book superhero movies.

Totally agree with what several of you have said. Before that.....there was not much to hang your hat on.
MoonKnight1
Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2013 11:13:30 AM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

comicuniversity wrote:
INCREDIBLE HULK

REVIEW

The GOOD:

I loved the representations of the Hulk, and especialy the Abomination.

The "Leader" tease was cool.

Thunderbolt Ross' relentless pursuit. Very effective.

Tim Roth is great.

The fight scenes are ALL good, even the first one in the bottling plant.

The Hulk is a HERO!! YAY!

The end scene where Norton (banner) looks at the screne and smiles as he starts to Hulk out was way cool.

Vagabond Banner.

Smart banner. It is fun to see Banner being portrayed as a competent guy in his own right. I mean, he is one of the smartest guys in the world.

The reaction of the outside world to super beings.

LOOOVVEED when Hulk pulls the Thundercap to put out the helicopter fire and save everyone.

The BAD:

I don't like the acting of Norton, Hurt or Tyler. Really at all. I thought Hurt as Ross was almost cartoonish and Tyler can't act for crap.

Betsy's unswerving faith in the friggin' Hulk. It's unrealistic.

Why does Banner trust "Mr. Blue"? Doesn't make sense.
I mean, he spends his whole life, dedicates his whole life to keeping the Hulk blood out of anyone elses hands....except for this nameless doctor from some university that he has never even met. Stupid.

Conclusion:

B. I liked this movie a lot. real goods comicy booky movie.

Comic book Superbeings included: Hulk, Iron Man, Abomination, Leader

Just watched this again and I have to say that I liked it better the second time. I appreciate that the origin was taken care of in the opening credits. Too many comic book movies feel the need to remake the origin story every time there's a new movie.

It had a feel for the TV show where Bruce (David) Banner was constantly on the run and just trying to survive and be left alone. The first fight scene reminded you that the Hulk is essentially a monster. Very well done.

I didn't really have a problem with the acting. Not like it was Shakespeare or anything!Laughing

The whole thing with Mr. Blue comes directly from Bruce Jones run on Incredible Hulk in the late 90's early 2000's. This run was memorable for it's lack of the Hulk. There was a lot of Bruce and not much green behemoth. Didn't get much better. It was totally obvious that Mr. Blue was the Leader and for some reason Jones decided that Crusher Creel, the awesome Absorbing Man, had mind control powers. Not very plausible, even for fiction.

I thought that Emil Blonsky/The Abomination was handled well. This is one of those cases where the changes made to a character actually make sense and fit the spirit of the original creation. Minor quibble would be the lack of "wings" on the side of his head!Rolling on the Floor The Leader tease was cool as well.

It also reminded me that back in the heyday of Marvel they would toss in things from other series to pique your interest. In this case Tony Stark/Iron Man and SHIELD.

Nice humorous touches too, the scene with the purple stretch pants and the line "You wouldn't like me when I am hungry!". Those were good!

I would grade this an A

Closing in on 600 Hero Ratings! Now with more than 16,000 comics listed and thousands more to come! To all of my Fantastic Customers I say, Thank You! Keep watching.

Now with 1,500+ positive feedback on the four letter site!
Standing offer to all CCL Members - every purchase you make from my other store (link below) earns you at least one freebie of my choice! If you purchase from Hall Liquidations send a PM to Hall of Heroes and let me know! Thanks!

Hall Liquidations

BurningDoom
Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2013 2:13:27 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

comicuniversity wrote:
Small things. Like....Johnny bursts into flame right in front of a skibunny, but she still wants to hop right into bed with him. Reed treats Sue like crap. All the time. But she still pursues him.

These things are no different than the comic, though.

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
Thundercron
Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2013 2:43:03 PM

Shop at My Store

BurningDoom wrote:
comicuniversity wrote:
Small things. Like....Johnny bursts into flame right in front of a skibunny, but she still wants to hop right into bed with him. Reed treats Sue like crap. All the time. But she still pursues him.

Funny that the Reed and Sue dynamic was the opposite in the sequel.
comicuniversity
Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2013 5:47:20 PM

BurningDoom wrote:
comicuniversity wrote:

Sure, now.

But in the comic everybody knows johnny storm and the human torch and they know he has control of his powers and he is extremely well known.

In the movie, all the ski-bunny knew is that this dude had returned from space and been put in a top flight medical facility...then he had spontaneously burst into flames.

I mean, no matter how hot...would you just jump into bed with a woman who you had JUST SEEN burst into uncontrollable flames?
Thundercron
Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2013 5:56:38 PM

Shop at My Store

comicuniversity wrote:
BurningDoom wrote:
comicuniversity wrote:

Sure, now.

But in the comic everybody knows johnny storm and the human torch and they know he has control of his powers and he is extremely well known.

In the movie, all the ski-bunny knew is that this dude had returned from space and been put in a top flight medical facility...then he had spontaneously burst into flames.

I mean, no matter how hot...would you just jump into bed with a woman who you had JUST SEEN burst into uncontrollable flames?

Yes. Yes I would.
BurningDoom
Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2013 7:39:53 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

comicuniversity wrote:
BurningDoom wrote:
comicuniversity wrote:

Sure, now.

Okay, yeah. That does make sense.

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
comicuniversity
Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2013 9:55:41 PM

Thundercron wrote:
comicuniversity wrote:
BurningDoom wrote:
comicuniversity wrote:

Sure, now.

Yes. Yes I would.

HAHAHAHAH!! nice.
comicuniversity
Posted: Saturday, July 13, 2013 12:03:04 PM

THE HULK

REVIEW

THE GOOD:

Eric Bana is great

Sam Elliot is even greater. He just chews scenery. I kept wishing he'd be in more scenes and the hulk would be in less. lol.

Angry Man!!! I love it that Ross codenames the Hulk, Angry Man.

Two Fight Scenes are really good. Hulk vs. the three mutant dogs. And Hulk vs. the military. The scenes where Hulk is sprinting and jumping and bombs are dropping and missiles are firing. Really cool. Also, him vs. the tanks in the desert was awesome.

Jennifer connelly is super hot.

I liked the twist where Banner had the potential for superhumanity bred into him.

Nolte's bad guy was effectively crazy. I really liked the scene at the end where father and son face off in the electricity chamber. Nolte just oozed crazy evilness.

The spec. effects of the gamma bomb explosion.

The end scene "You won't like me when i'm angry".

THE BAD:

The entire end fight between Hulk and Nolte. Stupid. And what was that weird bubble?

Jennifer connely is pretty....but, geezus. does she have an emotion other than full on pout? I never thought i'd pine for Liv Tyler as an actress. lol.

Josh Lucas' character was stupid. I mean, really stupid. and he was supposed to be so smart.

How in the hell does Nolte keep getting into top secret areas?

The HUlk. The actual Hulk looks cartoonish and out of place. It was offputting every time he was on screne.

CONCLUSION: C + movie. Good. Not great.

comicuniversity
Posted: Saturday, July 13, 2013 4:34:57 PM

GHOST RIDER: SPIRIT OF VENGEANCE

REVIEW

THE GOOD:

Idris Elba is always good.

The change scenes from Blaze to the rider are really effectivelt creepy.

The effects of the Rider are awesome. I mean, Ghost Rider is visually cool. Especially when he's on his bike. I loved the black sooty smoke.
The Highway fight scene near the end was really cool.

The guy who played Rourke was effectively devilly.

The scene where Moreau is hangin from the tree is really funny.

THE BAD:

Incomprehensible plot points. How does a small troop of mediocre baddies destroy one of the most heavily defended places at the start of the movie.
Why does the boy grow to love Blaze and the rider so fast? I mean, they're pretty tough to love. lol. Why do people keep leaving such important stuff so lightly guarded? Tehe whole movie.

The movie is one action scene after another. It kinda feels like watching video game cut scenes after a while.

Really stupid people. In really high places. Through the whole movie.

Conclusion:
D+ better than i thought it would be. But not good.