Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
SUMMER SUPERHERO MOVIE INSANITY!----SPOILERS GALORE Options
Shizz
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2013 8:45:39 AM

Groups: Member

comicuniversity wrote:
THE HULK

Also, him vs. the tanks in the desert was awesome.

Jennifer connelly is super hot.

The end scene "You won't like me when i'm angry".

THE BAD:

The entire end fight between Hulk and Nolte. Stupid. And what was that weird bubble?

Josh Lucas' character was stupid. I mean, really stupid. and he was supposed to be so smart.

How in the hell does Nolte keep getting into top secret areas?

CONCLUSION: C + movie. Good. Not great.

Wow, you gave this one much more love than me. I agree with the above but total 180 on the rest. The hulk looked cool. Loved the comic windows vibe. Hated the dogs and the stupid fight with them. Almost as bad as the end. I loved the big bulky hulk. More like the comics.

Conclusion: D/D+ tops. Just bad movie.
comicuniversity
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 11:29:57 AM
Groups: Member, Moderator

BATMAN

REVIEW

THE GOOD:

Nicholson's Joker is unsurpassed as a villain in any of the movies i have reviewed so far. EVERY scene with him is great. "Have you ever danced with the Devil in the Pale moonlight"? The scene where he kills Jack Palance. The scene where he takes over the gangs. The scene where he faces down Bruce Wayne outside the courthouse. They are all great.

The quotes. I mean, it is impossible to judge just how great an effect this movie had on the late 80's and early 90's. So many quotes that seeped into popular culture. "Where does he get those wonderful toys?"

The Music! Epic. I know Danny elfman had a career before this. But he had a CAREER!!! after this.

I liked the batsuit. And I liked the poses. He looked real batmany.

The batcar was awesome.

Gotham city looked like friggin' Gotham City!

The cast was excellent, even down to the Jokers goons (Jack Palance and Robert wuhl...as well as the guy who played eckart.. are real good in smaller roles).

The end scene, where Joker falls to his death is amazing.

THE BAD:

Kim Basinger and Keaton's love story is not believable.

the scene where Joker shoots down the batplane with a pistol. Stupid.

When people get shot, there is no blood. Anywhere. It's kinda weird.

CONCLUSION: A- Movie. This movie was genre defining.

BurningDoom
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 12:13:48 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

comicuniversity wrote:
BATMAN

REVIEW

THE GOOD:

Nicholson's Joker is unsurpassed as a villain in any of the movies i have reviewed so far. EVERY scene with him is great. "Have you ever danced with the Devil in the Pale moonlight"? The scene where he kills Jack Palance. The scene where he takes over the gangs. The scene where he faces down Bruce Wayne outside the courthouse. They are all great.

The quotes. I mean, it is impossible to judge just how great an effect this movie had on the late 80's and early 90's. So many quotes that seeped into popular culture. "Where does he get those wonderful toys?"

The Music! Epic. I know Danny elfman had a career before this. But he had a CAREER!!! after this.

The batcar was awesome.

The cast was excellent, even down to the Jokers goons (Jack Palance and Robert wuhl...as well as the guy who played eckart.. are real good in smaller roles).

THE BAD:

Hell yes, a masterpiece! The only Batman movie I liked more was Batman Begins.

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
Reggie
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 4:54:52 PM

BurningDoom wrote:
comicuniversity wrote:
BATMAN

REVIEW

THE GOOD:

The batcar was awesome.

THE BAD:

Hell yes, a masterpiece! The only Batman movie I liked more was Batman Begins.

Glad I'm not the only one! And I also thought Batman Begins was much better than The Dark Knight. Sure Heath Ledger was great but Batman Begins was way better. I think out of the whole new trilogy, Batman Begins was the only movie with actual bats.

Shizz
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2013 6:23:17 PM

comicuniversity wrote:
The batcar was awesome.

Time Out Um...no... that would be mobile sir. Nerd

But everything else was spot on. Great movie. I know I'm in the minority but I never really liked Jack as Joke though. Don't get me wrong he was ok, but the movie was sold to me by the re-launching awesomeness of Bats.
BurningDoom
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2013 6:33:29 PM

^ I agree, Man of Steel was amazing!

But I really liked Dardevil, too. Sad

comicuniversity
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 9:44:34 PM

BATMAN FOREVER

REVIEW

THE GOOD:

I really liked Jim Carrey's performance as the riddler. I mean, I know it's kind of overacting. However, he really gets across kind of an understated pain that kind of brings the character to life.

Some of the battles with Two-face were kinda comic booky cool.

Alfred is awesome.

The intro. of Robin and the flying Grayson's is done well. It is effective. Dick's need for revenge.

I liked some of the over the top stuff...like the opening fight, where Batman drops the safe right back in the building right where Two-Face stole it...complete with security guard along for the ride. And, the Batplane, Batboat sequence.

The batsuit looks pretty cool. There are plenty of real cool looking poses.

The scenes of Pre-Riddler Edward Nigma kinda forming his persona are pretty good.

THE BAD:

Tommy Lee Jones. He is horrible. His two-face is a mugging, laughing idiot. Throughout. In fact, his two-Face just might be the worst villain of the thus far reviewed mocies. Thank God Carrey brings across the Riddler.

Chase Meridian. Stupid.

Where the hell are the Gotham Police? I mean. Are there any?

Chris O'Donnell. Bad. Bad. Bad.

The Over the top scenery. Everything is like some weird piece of art.

Conclusion:

This movie is not as good as I remember it. In fact, I remember loving this movie. I still give it a solid B-, but not nearly as good as i remembered it.

comicuniversity
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 9:54:07 PM

GREEN LANTERN

REVIEW

THE GOOD:

I liked the green effects. Everytime the power was being used, there was sort of a Green nimbus. That was cool.

Ryan Reynolds, (Whether as Hannibal King, Deadpool..or here as Hal Jordan), just brings something to super hero roles.

Blake Lively. Holy Crap. And, she can act too.

The scene where Blake and Hal are fighting the robot fighters. really cool.

Sinestro is awesome. Tomar Re, Abin Sur and Kilowog are pretty cool too.

I like the end, where Hal gets his props. From the moment the other Lanterns save him from being swallowed by the sun to the point where they honor him on OA. Good stuff.

Again, I like it that Hal isn't an expert on his powers right away. it is more realistic that he had to go through a learning curve.

Parralax is an effectively scary villain. As an aside, it was almost unnoticeable, but in a lot of Parralax scenes you can see skeletons and bodies within his being.

I liked the final fight(even though it was too short). I also liked the first fight against Hec Hammond.

THE BAD:

Hal and Tom take the whole alien discovery thing waaaayyy too in stride. It isn't believable.

Tim Robbins is wasted in this role.

The guardians are pretty damned stupid. And they look weird too...and not in a good way.

The entire conceit of the movie. I mean....if you have defeated and imprisoned this incredibly powerful force, would you leave it on some lost planet for just anybody to stumble across like Abin Sur did with parralax to begin the movie? really really dumb.

The other Lanterns are defeated too easily by parralax.

CONCLUSION: Pretty good. C+

Shizz
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2013 9:21:43 AM

Wow, you gave Batman Forever more props than Green Lantern.

BF: D+
I kind of have a love/hate relationship with BF. I loved it when it came out. It was a great movie experience for me on the opening weekend, but it was a terrible movie all the way around. Though I did like Val as Bruce.

GL: B_
All of the cosmic GL stuff was awesome. I felt it just lacked a solid villain. Yeah Parallax was cool but the annoying big headed guy was the villain for 3/4 of the movie. Now the set up for Senestro.....freakin great!! I can forgive this one's lack as long as they give me a solid Sinestro War.
comicuniversity
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2013 9:11:38 AM

I hear you on Batman Forever. In fact, I couldnt quite put my finger on why i liked it so much, cause, man, it's corny and bad.

But, sometimes, there's just no accounting for taste. I liked that crappy movie. lol.
BurningDoom
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2013 12:08:35 PM

comicuniversity wrote:
I hear you on Batman Forever. In fact, I couldnt quite put my finger on why i liked it so much, cause, man, it's corny and bad.

But, sometimes, there's just no accounting for taste. I liked that crappy movie. lol.

Nobody gives poor Tommy any credit. Forever is not my favorite Batman film, by any means, but Tommy Lee Jones stole that movie, IMO.

comicuniversity
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2013 6:54:11 AM

SPIDER MAN 2

REVIEW

THE GOOD:

The Spidey vs. Doc Ock fight on the train scene is, maybe, the best super hero-villain fight scene of all the movies reviewed so far. Awesome. When Spidey is stopping the runaway train with his webs, then the passengers catch him and help him. It's just great.

The relationship between Parker and MJ is central to the movie. and it is well done. The scene where MJ finally realizes Peter is Spider Man is a great moment.

Peter coming clean to Aunt May about uncle Bens' deathis also a key moment that is done very well.

Octavius' descent into villainhood is very believable. Well written. He understands that he has done evil, but the arms just have too much control of him. On the flipside, at the end, when he re-establishes control and sacrifices himself is a poignant moment.

JK Simmons is just a scene stealer. I found myself wishing for more scenes with Jonah, which is ridiculous, considering this is a sci fi super hero movie. But man, I wanted more of the cigar chomping newspaper man.

Peter's life. I mean, he is just a hard luck case. All the time he spends as spider man would, necessarily, screw up the rest of his life.....and it does. It just grounds this movie so nicely. rarely do we see real world consequences of superheroing in this way.

THE BAD:

Osborn's hatred of Spider Man is kinda inexplicable. I mean, he knows what kind of guy his dad was. And he knows what kind of hero spidey is...but he still is unreasonable. Also, his ascent to head of OScorp is, well, not covered. I mean, he is a simpering high school grad running a fortune 500 company? I don't think so.

A little water could stop the self sustaining drive of the fusion generator? I don't think so. Too pat.

It was unnecessary to make Peter's powers dissapear. I think he could have come to the decision to quit without this twist.

CONCLUSION: This was a really good movie. It was one of the top so far....and, as a sequel, that's surprising. B+

comicuniversity
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2013 6:58:54 AM

BurningDoom wrote:
comicuniversity wrote:

Nobody gives poor Tommy any credit. Forever is not my favorite Batman film, by any means, but Tommy Lee Jones stole that movie, IMO.

This is funny. What i said before about the being no accounting for taste is so true.

I mean, I thought that Tommy Lee was just awful. In fact, I thought this was the worst performance I have ever seen him give....and you loved him......And, we're both right. lol. Taste is so subjective.
comicuniversity
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2013 7:07:52 AM

SPAWN

REVIEW

THE GOOD:

The image of Spawn flying down through the skylight to attack Jason Wynn, with cape billowing, was pretty cool.

The change scene where the clown first turns into the full Violator was pretty cool.

Simmon's steadfast insistence to go back to his wife despite his circumstances was believable. It brought some emotional weight to the movie.

Wynn's plan to use HEAT 16 was kinda scary.

The opening scene where Simmons destroys the airplane with the bad guys and the innocent civilians is kinda cool.

THE BAD:

The acting. ALL the acting. This movie is acted like a junior high play. Martin Sheen is awful. Just awful. John Leguizamo (an actor I usually like) is just a preening idiot. Michael Jai White doesn't have near the chops to carry a lead role in a movie. Theresa Randle and DB Sweeney alone aren't completely horrible....but they aint good.

The special effects are the stuff of B grade horror movies.

Spawn's costume looks bad. I mean, it should be so cool and visually appealing, but it just looks like dried up apricots spread over Spawn's body.

How in the world is Wynn able to convince so many people to go along with his plan? I mean, he is going to kill everyone in the entire world....and a bunch of people go along with it. Stupid.

Simmons knows how bad Wynn is, but goes along with "one last job". Such a stupid action movie cliche.

Simmons is, like, the world's greatest assassin, but he lets a desk jockey like Wynn get the drop on him so easily. Stupid.

The kid and the dog. Stupid. Laughably stupid.

I could go on, but you get it. This movie sucks.

CONCLUSION:

Bad. Bad. Bad. realy bad. F+
Shizz
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2013 8:52:57 PM

Spider-man 2: Solid B+

Right there with you on most all of it. I think this one in the trilogy I like the best. But I just can't stand listening to Tobey's sappy/whiny/crying version of Peter. I know I'm in the minority on this, but I did not like him as Spidey or the chic who played MJ.

Spawn: Shaky D+

Enjoyable for the time but just a B movie in all aspects.
BurningDoom
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2013 9:01:07 PM

I haven't seen Spawn since it was a new movie. I remember liking it. But I was also in Jr. High.

rook68
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2013 11:11:57 PM

I thought Green Lantern wasn't all that bad of a movie. I did wish it did better in the theaters. I would of loved to see Sinestro in a second movie.

(referring to an original comic book piece) This is a art gallery my friend and THIS is a piece of art.

Elijah Price "Unbreakable"
played by Samuel L. Jackson

BurningDoom
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2013 11:13:06 PM

rook68 wrote:
I thought Green Lantern wasn't all that bad of a movie. I did wish it did better in the theaters. I would of loved to see Sinestro in a second movie.

I had heard rumors of a sequel, even though it didn't do fantastic at the box-office.

Thundercron
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2013 11:46:42 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

BurningDoom wrote:
rook68 wrote:

I had heard rumors of a sequel, even though it didn't do fantastic at the box-office.

If a sequel was being made, it would have been announced in San Diego at the same time as the Superman/Batman, Flash, and Justice League movies.

Doesn't look like it's happening.

Thundercron
Posted: Thursday, August 01, 2013 4:49:39 AM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

comicuniversity wrote:
SPAWN

Hey, so you gave Spawn the Director's Cut treatment and not Daredevil? Come on! No fairsies!Whistle