Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
What do you love/hate about Comic Collector Live? Options
The_Valiant_One
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 10:13:23 AM

Groups: CCL Feature Crew, Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

I'm starting this thread for the CCL community to talk to me (aka Steve Boyd, Chief Brand Officer and Site Director of CCL) directly about Comic Collector Live to the membership.

What is your favorite and least favorite thing about the current Comic Collector Live's website?* Out of your least favorite, how would you address it to make it better?

Since we've got some excellent communication and feedback going with our membership this week, let's take it one step further. Please post your answers in this thread!

Please keep answers, comments and questions as brief as possible and my answer will be as lengthy as I think necessary to answer the question.

I will regularly check this thread while in the office, and will also post in this thread regularly in my off hours as well.

4 GROUND RULES:
------------------------

1) Please do not post links to other threads for me to read or have to comment on first.

2) Please keep your questions and comments civil and for the betterment of CCL, not the detriment. No personal attacks tolerated unless they are good ones ;)

3) Please do not make this thread your personal soapbox. Keep your posts focused on the topic, which is questions you have concerning the past, present or future of CCL's development as the best damn website for comic collectors.

4) Please do not post about how much you dislike my 3 ground rules. You have been warned. ;)
Tamwood
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 11:08:14 AM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

My favorite thing about CCL is the software. I think it's a great cataloging piece, and helps me keep track of my wishlist and personal inventory.

My least favorite thing, would be the lack of updates. There are so many little things that could make this site/software SO MUCH BETTER and EASIER, but the suggestions all seem to fall on deaf ears.
The_Valiant_One
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 11:15:30 AM

Shop at My Store

Tamwood wrote:
My favorite thing about CCL is the software. I think it's a great cataloging piece, and helps me keep track of my wishlist and personal inventory.

Thanks for the reply! The signature software is a great tool and also one of my favorite things we offer!

Tamwood wrote:
My least favorite thing, would be the lack of updates. There are so many little things that could make this site/software SO MUCH BETTER and EASIER, but the suggestions all seem to fall on deaf ears.

Nothing has fallen on deaf ears but in the past more like empty wallets. At Wits' End Lack of updates is a BROAD term, but more than likely the one term that I think everyone can agree with.

Tamwood
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 11:48:43 AM

The_Valiant_One wrote:

Nothing has fallen on deaf ears but in the past more like empty wallets. At Wits' End Lack of updates is a BROAD term, but more than likely the one term that I think everyone can agree with.

I was trying to keep things succinct. :) I can narrow my update requests down to two: 1) Update the CR system, so we can edit multiple issues at once. Right now, I'm updating tomorrow's Avengers #16. But someone already added the variant cover for Avengers #16. SO, I'm going to have to do edits on two books, instead of editing one, filling in everything, and added the variant. If we could edit multiple issues, I could select both entries, and fill in credits and characters for both at the same time.

2) Provide a way for stores to discount books before checkout. As a store employee, it would be a lot easier than having to go back and refund every seller after the fact. As a buyer, it would provide me more money to buy more books. If I place a $50 order with someplace giving 20% back ... I've got to wait for that $10 to be refunded, and for Paypal to process the mess, before I can buy $10 worth of books from someone else.
MoonKnight1
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 11:56:53 AM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Tamwood wrote:
2) Provide a way for stores to discount books before checkout. As a store employee, it would be a lot easier than having to go back and refund every seller after the fact. As a buyer, it would provide me more money to buy more books. If I place a $50 order with someplace giving 20% back ... I've got to wait for that $10 to be refunded, and for Paypal to process the mess, before I can buy $10 worth of books from someone else.

Yes. This.

Fantastic News! Hall of Heroes has now surpassed 600 Hero Ratings! I couldn't have done it without all of you and I will strive to maintain and improve my high standards. Which brings me to my next announcement - starting now, all shipments will come with tracking at no extra charge to you! I'm a little late to the party but as they say - better late than never. You spoke and I heard you loud and clear. Excelsior!

Now with 1,500+ positive feedback on the four letter site!
Standing offer to all CCL Members - every purchase you make from my other store (link below) earns you at least one freebie of my choice! If you purchase from Hall Liquidations send a PM to Hall of Heroes and let me know! Thanks!

Hall Liquidations

padreglcc
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 12:04:04 PM

Groups: Approver, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, DC Host, Forum Admin, Member, Moderator, New Releases Host, Reviews Host, Subscriber

Love the software - I started using CCL specifically because I was looking for a place to catalog my comics. I also enjoy the forums (for the most part)... there are a lot of great people around here.

Hate the lack of specificity in the database. Would love to be able to add a credit for "artist" and then specify that person as "cover," "inker," "letterer," "penciler," "photographer," etc. Also, many books now include "production," "design," and "exec producer" in their credits... there is nowhere for us to list this. Being able to specify which character we're adding to the character list would also be nice (is it Wolverine from Earth 616 or some other Wolverine? is Mar-Vell Captain Marvel, Carol Danvers Captain Marvel, Monica Rambeau Captain Marvel, Billy Batson Captain Marvel, or Freddy Freeman Captain Marvel?). It would be great to link characters to alter-egos.

“One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say.” ~ Bryant H. McGill

Please make sure you read and understand the Forum Rules here.
SwiftMann
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 12:20:06 PM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Is this really a one "thing" for each rule (or should I say Guideline, since we don't have rules here)? I'll at least do a one good for one bad thing.

Quote:
What is your favorite thing about the current Comic Collector Live's website?

- CCL is the only site I've found that values accuracy of information to the degree we do.

- The wishlist on my phone (I can't believe more people don't ask about it when I'm back-issue diving).

- Current issues are always in the database (something you rarely see elsewhere).

- Only place I know of that allows you to catalog, buy and sell all in one place (with a reasonable fee and the afore mentioned accuracy of info).

Quote:
What is your least favorite thing about the current Comic Collector Live's website? Out of your least favorite, how would you address it to make it better?

Problem: Management's laissez-faire approach to just about everything and then wondering why folks think it's too little too late. From communication to customers (those buying the software, not the ones buying comics) the past year to handling poor behavior in the forums or by stores.

Suggestion: Get off the fence. This is the Internet, stuff doesn't just "work itself out." Take ownership of it all - the good and the bad, the fun and the painful.

Problem: Broken/Never-working functionality in the website.

Suggestion: Fix bugs. This is not the same as updates. Bugs should be fixed when they are found.

Problem: Inconsistencies between software and website.

Suggestion: Many changes were made when CR2.0 was added years ago, but never synced with the software. I should be able to get the same info from both.

Problem: Writers/Artists/Editors still haven't been broken out with more detail.

Suggestion: Jim stated this was built but never turned on. Turn it on!

Has DC Done Something Stupid Today?

"The return of beards and 90's fashion makes hipsters and homeless people impossible to tell apart." - Woody, Quantum & Woody #5
SwiftMann
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 12:23:42 PM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Tamwood wrote:

As a collector the I'd like to see it reflected on the books ordered in the Market Stats. You bought ten books at $5 each, but got a 20% discount sale? Those are then $4 books in their market stats.

Has DC Done Something Stupid Today?

"The return of beards and 90's fashion makes hipsters and homeless people impossible to tell apart." - Woody, Quantum & Woody #5
Xylob
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 2:00:05 PM

I love (for the most part) the software as it is an excellent tool for cataloging my collection of comic books and GNs/TPBs/Hardcovers.

I love (for the most part) the forums and the community that we've all helped to build here over the last 6+ years (has it really been that long?!).

I hate that things like action figures and collectors/gaming cards were jammed into the the comic specific database without expanding the database to work with them better/correctly.

I hate that Joe and Steve are no longer an active part of the community they helped build here in the forums.

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
CrossbowComics
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 5:45:20 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

My least favorite is the shopping cart dumping after 30 minutes with no warning, good way to scare off a new buyer. Sounds like this'll be changed in the next version.

2nd is the navigation issues, particularly when browsing titles in a big store. You back up a page & you're not where you expect & have to click a few times to get back where you want. I figure the next CCL will fix this too.

A big plus would be something to indicate an item for sale has scans or comments added. Perhaps a little magnifying glass icon next to the listing. This feature is pretty key if you want to graduate from the $1 books & attract some higher-end buyers. Bigger scans would be nice too.

CCL has a lot of positives, IMO it could work pretty well just with a few key tweaks. Could probably help pay for a couple more cost overruns too (yeah I know but termites usually have 3 or 4 buddies hiding in the wall).

(slightly edited)

future home - TreehouseComicShop.com

dunleavy75
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 5:58:54 PM

Groups: Member

My favorite thing about CCL is the stores that I trust and buy from regularly. Pat, Potter, and Doug, to be specific. Those guys are top notch sellers, and professional every time.

My least favorite thing would probably just mirror some things already mentioned by Swifty or Tam. I'd love to see any improvements to the software and anything to help the stores make more money, because in turn, the good ones will pass the savings on to their customers. Happy

Shop at - ComicsCastle - AlphaComics - TreeHouse
freakdylan
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 5:59:26 PM

CrossbowComics wrote:
A big plus would be something to indicate an item for sale has scans or comments added. Perhaps a little magnifying glass next to the listing. This feature is pretty key if you want to graduate from the $1 books & attract higher-end sellers.

Yes more scans! lol

One thing that bugs me daily is if you are looking in a store then click anything on the right (shipping, feedback etc) it messes up your next click in the store. So if you click buy it next it doesnt add it to cart and it erases all the store data. So have to go back or click something else to clear.

Other then that CCL works for me, as I just come here to plunder the sellers stores.

Thanks to the following sellers for helping me put together my complete run of Amazing Spider-man #1-700

ComicCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Now for the sellers helping me finish my TMNT collection:

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics

teh_longinator
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 9:02:42 PM

I love that adding to the database (as a seller) is just a matter of double-clicking, and filling out some information (grade and price, mostly).

I love that the forums are usually a good place to hang out and have casual conversation about a hobby we all love.

Cave Comics
I buy comics so that I can sell comics, to buy more comics.

Check out my eBay listings at http://www.ebay.ca/sch/tehlonginator/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
BurningDoom
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 9:14:58 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

What I like:

1. Cheap back-issues. And a wide selection of them.

2. Good comic collecting software.

3. A good community of comic fans on the message boards (though it seems to be dwindling).

What I don't like:

1. LONG waits between updates.

2. Incomplete Magazine and Comic Card Databases. Even within the same title there are large gaps in the magazine section.

3. The buggy buying pages on the website. All kinds of glitches. I'm familiar enough with it all to work around it, but I can't imagine the frustration newcomers deal with.

4. I wish the sellers would expand a little more into licensed and comics outside of Marvel, DC, Image, and Dark Horse. I'm always on the hunt for 80s and 90s licensed comics like Nightmare on Elm Street, Castlevania, and Resident Evil.

5. I wish the sellers (and submitters for the software) would dive into collectible magazines more. I love being able to buy back-issues here, and to be able to shop here for magazines I love would be great, too. For me particularly, I'd like to see some classic gaming magazines for sale.

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
teh_longinator
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 10:25:31 PM

Oh, the site totally needs to have a Heroclix section. Totally.

Cave Comics
I buy comics so that I can sell comics, to buy more comics.

Check out my eBay listings at http://www.ebay.ca/sch/tehlonginator/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
Peacefuldragon
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 11:06:56 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

teh_longinator wrote:
Oh, the site totally needs to have a Heroclix section. Totally.

+1

If all you have is a hammer, then everything looks like a nail.
The_Valiant_One
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2013 9:38:03 AM

Shop at My Store

dunleavy75 wrote:
My favorite thing about CCL is the stores that I trust and buy from regularly. Pat, Potter, and Doug, to be specific. Those guys are top notch sellers, and professional every time.

My least favorite thing would probably just mirror some things already mentioned by Swifty or Tam. I'd love to see any improvements to the software and anything to help the stores make more money, because in turn, the good ones will pass the savings on to their customers. Happy

I'll reply to this one on the latter: those sentiments echo mine as well and this direction we're going in should both address and impress. That didn't mean to come out quite as sexy as it sounded, btw. lol

43rdStreetComicBooks
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2013 3:52:07 PM

Ok I havent been on here but since the beginning of the year so I dont have as much experience with everything that all the others have but Ill try to do my best :)

Things I:

Hate:
1) That there is no year subscription option for store owners, would be nice if we could get a discount if we paid for the year up front instead of $15 every month, say like $149.95 for the year

2) That we dont get anything but the ability to sell on CCL after paying monthly sub fee, listing fees and final value fees. Like for example on my main eBay account store I pay a monthly fee, final value fees and sometimes listing fees, but for that I get 500 free listings every month, 20% discount on final value fees and a deep discount on shipping rates.

3) That contributor points mean absolutely nothing except that you post a lot if you have a large amount of points. Maybe make it so you can use points to buy something from the CCL store or use them to get a discount on sub fee or maybe get special options for your store that can only be gotten with points, not really sure but Im sure some of the CCL vets could come up with a few things :)

4) That there isnt better options as far as products are concerned, I do understand that CCL was originally made just for comics, but also as Im sure all of you will agree any comic book store I have gone to there isnt just comic books, theres trading/game cards, toys, figures, other playable games ie: heroclix, collecting supplies ie: bags, boards, frames, stands, displays etc

5) That there isnt a built in option to give customers a discount ie like an option to give repeat cutomers a 10% discount before they pay for their order, would be nice if we could give them a discount before they pay without having to do it through paypal refund

6) That there isnt more people on CCL, only 92k+ registered users but theres over 7 billion people on the planet, seems like were missing something somewhere, especially seeing as CCL parent company MidTen Media is about marketing, CCL should be bursting with people, just saying.

7) That it seems like updates or bug fixes and lack of communication of said things are lacking in many ways. To me CCL is just like anything else technology related, within 3-6 months its already obsolete/broken or outdated. To be the "Best" as is claimed by CCL you need to be up to date if not ahead of the curve. Cant just make it and let it go hoping its always gonna be great, like anything else its gonna get worn down and need some elbow grease to keep it going at top speed.

8) Reserved if I think of something later

Love:

1) The community, without it CCL just wouldnt be as good :)

2) The customer service, mostly the individuals that make it up without them, we the community would not be able to do what we do :)

3) Reserved

Would of had more to say but a few of the others already said same things dont wanna repeat it :)

"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convince the world he didn't exist"

www.43rdstreetmtgcards.com

www.43rdstreetcomicbooks.com

MoonKnight1
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2013 4:21:40 PM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

EXCELLENT!

I knew you would be a good member of the community!

That is the best constructive criticism I have heard in a while.

All great points.

Fantastic News! Hall of Heroes has now surpassed 600 Hero Ratings! I couldn't have done it without all of you and I will strive to maintain and improve my high standards. Which brings me to my next announcement - starting now, all shipments will come with tracking at no extra charge to you! I'm a little late to the party but as they say - better late than never. You spoke and I heard you loud and clear. Excelsior!

Now with 1,500+ positive feedback on the four letter site!
Standing offer to all CCL Members - every purchase you make from my other store (link below) earns you at least one freebie of my choice! If you purchase from Hall Liquidations send a PM to Hall of Heroes and let me know! Thanks!

Hall Liquidations

Xylob
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2013 4:23:33 PM

43rdStreetComicBooks wrote:

3) That contributor points mean absolutely nothing except that you post a lot if you have a large amount of points...
Not just posting in the forums. Points are also "awarded" for submitting Change Requests and adding to the CCL database.

43rdStreetComicBooks wrote:

6) That there isnt more people on CCL, only 92k+ registered users but theres over 7 billion people on the planet, seems like were missing something somewhere, especially seeing as CCL parent company MidTen Media is about marketing, CCL should be bursting with people, just saying.
An excellent point that has been made by others recently - and one I would love to see addressed openly (instead of ignored).

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?