Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Top Five Favorite Teams Options
Brainiac5
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 4:04:18 PM

Groups: Member

I almost always judge comics by the number of characters, I figure I'm getting more bang for the buck with team comics. I also always thought, if I had powers, I would hang out with other people with powers.

Here are my top favorite teams-

Justice Society of America-Discovered through reprints and JLA/JSA crossovers. The originals are the best.

The Legion of Superheroes-especially the Dave Cockrum/ Mike Grell years-always gave me lots of characters and therefor more value to the comic.

The Defenders-Especially the original three. They really didn't seem to want to be there. Yet, they were. Interesting group dynamic between Hulk, fish-man, and magician.

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen-Kind of the Victorian Defenders. An odd mix that worked well.

The Arabian Knights-this is a wild card. Hanna-Barbera cartoons and Gold Key comics. They could not be done today. Interesting group: a hero-guy, princess-girl, magician, strongman, guy who could change into animals, and um...a donkey.

You're top five? We can flexible as to what constitutes a "team."
Khaine
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 7:15:40 PM
Groups: Member, Subscriber

I would say

1. X-men (chris claremonts x-men not what they got now)
2. GI Joe/Cobra
3. Autobots/Decepticons
4. G-Force (Battle of the Planets)
5. Micronauts

I used to steer clear of team books who's members had their individual books cause I always felt obligated to buy all the individual books too just to figure out what the hell was going on in the team book.

I do now with the justice league but, I buy most of the individuals books because I like them too.
Brainiac5
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 7:26:03 PM

I didn't even think of toy/animation inspired teams-well, I did mention Arabian Knights. I had the first issue of GI Joe and watched Battle of the Planets. They had a Gold Key comic, so they count.
ukblueky
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 9:17:11 PM

Some team comics I enjoy reading.
In no order
1.X-Men -I was way into X-Men back in the 90's when Lee,Silvestri and Whilce were drawing it
2. X-Force -the original line up
3. Green Lantern Corps -The ultimate team.
4. WILDC.A.T.S -Yep I was in my teen years in the early 90's and this book was huge back then. Still has a place in my collection.
5. Midnight Sons -While they never had an official "team" I loved when Ghost Rider, Blade, Doctor Strange, etc would team up

Atilla2k
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 9:29:01 PM

Groups: Approver, Member

No particular order...

1) JSA (love Wildcat in particular)

2) JLA (Plastic Man Stories)

3) New Avengers (W/ Spidey)

4) Autobots

5) Danger Girl

Brainiac5
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 9:37:27 PM

Very cool. I had to look up a couple of these, but I like learning about new things in comics.
BurningDoom
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 10:34:50 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

I'm fond of the heavy-hitters:

1. The Green Lantern Corps - This should come as no surprise to the regulars here. I'm a total fanboy for Green Lantern.

2. The Justice Society of America - Geoff Johns' long run on this book made me initially like the characters, then diving into Ordway and Roy Thomas' Earth-2 adventures made me appreciate them even more.

3. The Justice League of America - Believe it or not, it was Dan Jurgens' 90s run on the "Justice League America" that originally pulled me into the book. But then Morrison's run made me completely love the series. (Still the best JLA run to this day, IMO.)

4. The Avengers - Best team in the Marvel universe. Not only do you get some of the best battles and threats, but the characters play off of each other so well.

5. The Invaders - I'm a sucker for Golden Age DC and Marvel characters, what can I say?

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
Brainiac5
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 10:39:37 PM

Very cool list. Covers all the basics.
DaLeah96
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 10:43:30 AM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, New Releases Host, Reviews Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Legion of Super-Heroes - all incarnations, but my favorite were the originals which is the current team. just upset they are ending their series next month again. Crying

Justice Society of America - Always liked this team though I preferred the pre-crisis team. Anything could happen (Bruce Wayne as police commisioner, a second generation of heroes, etc.)

X-Men - The first 35 years anyway, though its a toss up between the originals and the Claremont years.

Guardains of the Galaxy - Both the original team of the future and the current cosmic team.

Avengers - Though the current glut of teams has led me to drop most of the tiltes. My favorites were the 70s teams.

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here.
Atilla2k
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 10:53:01 AM

BurningDoom wrote:
3. The Justice League of America - Believe it or not, it was Dan Jurgens' 90s run on the "Justice League America" that originally pulled me into the book. But then Morrison's run made me completely love the series. (Still the best JLA run to this day, IMO.)

100% agree!

fenix1977
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 10:58:22 AM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

Scooby and Shaggy

Mad Bloggings

crunchbird
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 12:50:00 PM

No love for the Fantastic Four here I see (sigh).
Brainiac5
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 1:15:28 PM

DaLeah96 wrote:
Legion of Super-Heroes - all incarnations, but my favorite were the originals which is the current team. just upset they are ending their series next month again. Crying

Justice Society of America - Always liked this team though I preferred the pre-crisis team. Anything could happen (Bruce Wayne as police commisioner, a second generation of heroes, etc.)

X-Men - The first 35 years anyway, though its a toss up between the originals and the Claremont years.

Guardains of the Galaxy - Both the original team of the future and the current cosmic team.

Avengers - Though the current glut of teams has led me to drop most of the tiltes. My favorites were the 70s teams.

Nice list. I don't read current comics, so I'm not surprised the LSH has been treated shabbily, again. I was not aware of the new Guardians and so here I thought that the movie was going to be be about the 1970s. I am kind of surprised no one has listed the FF.
BurningDoom
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 1:18:37 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

DaLeah96 wrote:
[b]X-Men - The first 35 years anyway, though its a toss up between the originals and the Claremont years.

Glad to hear there's another fan of the original team. I don't hear it too often.

I also seem to be the only person I ever see mention the original X-Factor team as the best version (the original 5 X-Men members). I resented Peter David's team, because they took a great book from me.

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
Brainiac5
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 3:55:13 PM

I also noted a lack of Josie and The Pussycats.
dunleavy75
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 6:28:04 PM

Avengers

Guardians of the Galaxy

X-Men

Nightstalkers

Inhumans

Shop at - ComicsCastle - AlphaComics - TreeHouse
Atilla2k
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 7:13:30 PM

I'm SHOCKED no one has mentioned the Great Lakes Avengers, lol!Laughing

DaLeah96
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 11:59:15 PM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, New Releases Host, Reviews Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

BurningDoom wrote:
DaLeah96 wrote:
[b]X-Men - The first 35 years anyway, though its a toss up between the originals and the Claremont years.

Glad to hear there's another fan of the original team. I don't hear it too often.

I also seem to be the only person I ever see mention the original X-Factor team as the best version (the original 5 X-Men members). I resented Peter David's team, because they took a great book from me.

Then let me add my name to the short list of original X-Factor fans. Seeing the original X-Men back together then was great. My only complaint was them trying to revert Hank back to his original human form

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here.
MoonKnight1
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2013 10:32:51 AM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Atilla2k wrote:
I'm SHOCKED no one has mentioned the Great Lakes Avengers, lol!Laughing

I can't believe you beat me to this! No lie, I was just going to say the GLA!

If you haven't read the Dan Slott mini-series do yourself a favor and pick it up NOW! Simply one of the best teams out there, I mean look at the line-up!

Mr. Immortal - The man who simply will not die
Big Bertha - Supermodel and apparently the Blob's fatter sister
Flatman - Still one of the few (openly) gay heroes, plus he's really thin
Doorman - One time revolving entrance, now agent of Oblivion
Dinah Soar - Weird Savage Land native who sings instead of talking
Squirrel Girl - She's beaten Dr. Doom for gosh sakes!
The Grasshopper - OK, well. It's the Grasshopper!

Plus there are squirrel sidekicks, Hawkeye & Mockingbird and someone named Deadpool that I've never heard of but he must be pretty cool if he's hanging out with the Great Lakes Avengers, or the Lightning Rods, or the Great Lakes X-Men, or the Great Lakes Champions, or the Great Lakees Initiative, or whatever they are calling themselves now. Perhaps the Great Lakes Justice League, I don't know - but they're an awesome team!

Fantastic News! Hall of Heroes has now surpassed 600 Hero Ratings! I couldn't have done it without all of you and I will strive to maintain and improve my high standards. Which brings me to my next announcement - starting now, all shipments will come with tracking at no extra charge to you! I'm a little late to the party but as they say - better late than never. You spoke and I heard you loud and clear. Excelsior!

Hall Liquidations

Atilla2k
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2013 10:37:58 AM

MoonKnight1 wrote:
I can't believe you beat me to this! No lie, I was just going to say the GLA!

Great minds and all!Big Grin