Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
SDCC Options
er07
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2013 1:47:16 PM

Groups: Member

So I notice there is a lot of people on the boards but no one has made any mention of San Diego. Is no one excited or haven't you seen anything you like out of it yet. No cool exclusives anyone wants.
I think the addition of Maria Hill to Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is pretty cool. The new trailer for Season 4 of The Walking Dead looks interesting it's on youtube if you haven't seen it(not sure of the link posting policy). The Dark Horse panel about Star Wars and it's direction for the comics sounds real good.
Anything anyone else has seen or heard that's been pretty cool.
Thought something other than a thread about a certain dealer or the current state/direction of CCL might be a refreshing change.
Thundercron
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2013 1:57:00 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

I haven't searched the interwebs for any news coming out of San Diego. Feel free to link up to news articles and we can discuss.

What did Dark Horse say is their future with Star Wars? I had just assumed it was non-existent.
comicscastle
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2013 2:55:52 PM

Groups: Approver, Approver Steward, CR-Management, Forum Admin, Grade My Book Host, Guru, History Host, Member, Super Seller, Tool

Shop at My Store

I lost interest in SDCC when it switched from a comic show to a multi-media event. Give me a good ol' comic show like the Baltimore Comic Con and I'm a happy guy.

The following stores are all stores that I've dealt with or have become friends with through the forums and I highly recommend them all.
Comics Castle-owned & operated by Pat McCauslin
Alpha Comics--ComicVortex--Metropolis Connections 2.0--Comic Cellar

Flagwaver
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2013 3:34:58 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

After attending for ten years, I called it quits after 2011. Having dropped DC and Marvel, the expense and the headache just isn't worth it. There really is very little news that I've seen from this year that I actually care about.
Brainiac5
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2013 3:43:30 PM

Believe it or not, I have never been to a con in all my years of fandom. I'm actually thinking of going to Valleycon here in Fargo in October. It too is "multimedia" but it's small enough to be fan-based and not indsutry based. Oh, and Allan Dean Foster will be there.
er07
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2013 7:05:45 PM

Here's the link to the Dark Horse Star Wars panel from yesterday.
http://www.newsarama.com/18416-sdcc-13-star-wars-comics-here-and-now.html
Looking forward to more Dark Times and the Ewok plans sounds interesting.

Also Warner Brothers announced a Superman/Batman movie with plans for the Flash in 2017.
http://www.newsarama.com/18444-reports-batman-superman-movie-up-next-for-warners-then-fladssh-justice-league.html

And I haven't read it yet but here is Skybound Entertains Panel. I love Kirkmans stuff and the the books his imprint put out. If your not reading clone give a try you won't be sorry.
http://www.newsarama.com/18440-sdcc-13-robert-kirkman-s-skybound-panel-live.html

Plus if your a Transformers fan check out the exclusive Metroplex and the Shockwave Laboratory looks cool too.
Atilla2k
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2013 8:26:59 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

Bendis said they'd be revealing a Retro Girl (Powers) statue there, now that I'd love to get my hands on!Daydreaming

freakdylan
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2013 9:15:35 PM

I loved Chuck from Mile Highs take on it

Quote:
On a more negative note, the odds that long-time comics fans can attend the San Diego convention has been greatly diminished by its increasing popularity. With an online lottery system for tickets now limiting access to the show, it seems that a greater proportion of the attendees are now only minimally interested in comics. In point of fact, the main trend seems to have become the avid purchasing of comic-con exclusive items, often times solely for resale. Simply put, a great many "fans" attending the show are now actually small time dealers who are seeking items to resell convention exclusives on eBay.

Taking this trend to even further extremes, I just heard from a knowledgeable source that part of the frenzy for exclusives at last night's opening evening of the convention was fueled by fear. It seems that there is now an active advance sale market on eBay, where some especially bold attendees sell exclusives in advance of the show, before they have any kind of assurance that they will actually be able to obtain them. They are then in panic mode once the show opens, running around the dealer's room like crazy people trying to cover their obligations. Seriously? There just has to be a less stressful reason for attending a wonderful comics show...

Flagwaver
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2013 10:04:53 PM

I was just saying the same thing to my local LCS manager when I stopped in to deal with the withdrawal symptoms the other day. I commented on how people on eBay are listing con exclusives a couple weeks before the con even starts. And don't get me started on the people trying to sell tickets to the gullibly desperate for $1000+. I started going back when you could actually just walk up to the window and purchase tickets. A couple years later they went to the online sales only and it took two or three years before it really got bad, just as bad as trying to get a hotel room. There really should be an easier way to handle the con exclusives. The last time I went Mattel allowed you to pre-order their items and you could pick them up offsite. It was very easy and saved a lot of time and hassle. While I know it would never happen, it would be great if they had a pre-order system in place for all of the convention exclusives, with set limits on how many you could purchase, so all you had to do was go to a certain room and pick it up. But, like I said, it'll never happen.
Brainiac5
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2013 10:58:05 PM

I'll admit I've never been to a con, much less San Diego, and am only thinking of going to my first one here in Fargo in October. Why not let the big industries have San Diego and go to your local con, or at least as local as you can? Valley Con is getting some minor TV people and a couple of authors including Allan Dean Foster. I really don't think Marvel or DC care much about the fans anymore. Vote with your feet. Got to the cons that cater to the fans.
Shadowdodger
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2013 11:27:20 PM

I have mixed feelings about SDCC. On one hand it's sad that comics (books) have taken a back seat. It seems they are almost an afterthought.

On the other hand I get excited for the next wave of comic-based movies and TV we have to look forward too. Batman/Superman, Flash, and Avengers: Age of Ultron...it's a good time to be a comic book fan.

I also like to see the Con exclusives that er07 mentioned earlier. I picked up a couple MLP releases for my daughter on tru.com. I missed out on the Masterpiece Transformers that came out on Thursday and there's no way I'm paying eBay prices. The GI Joe/Transformers SDCC exclusives get better every year too.

Shadowdodger says: "Shop at these fine stores"

Bamf!!!! Hall of Heroes ComicsMD ComicVortex
Comic Hunter Legends Comix and Games Blue Moon Comics Comic Cellar
Atilla2k
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2013 11:30:33 PM

The one and only con I've been to was 2003 MegaCon in Orlando,FL. I had an awesome time and even had breakfast with all the writers and artists and the owner (Mark Alessi) from CrossGen!

Reggie
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 3:44:53 AM

Atilla2k wrote:
The one and only con I've been to was 2003 MegaCon in Orlando,FL. I had an awesome time and even had breakfast with all the writers and artists and the owner (Mark Alessi) from CrossGen!

Funny, thats the only con I've been to as well. I've been 3 times. Last year I went was 2011(Got my picture taken with Stan Lee). Been thinking about trying out the Tampa Bay Comic Con toward the end of August.

Atilla2k
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 8:43:58 AM

Reggie wrote:
Atilla2k wrote:

Funny, thats the only con I've been to as well. I've been 3 times. Last year I went was 2011(Got my picture taken with Stan Lee). Been thinking about trying out the Tampa Bay Comic Con toward the end of August.

That's a dream come true! I've been thinking about going to NYCC/Big Apple Comic Con sometime in the near future.

Reggie
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 10:29:22 PM

Atilla2k wrote:
Reggie wrote:
Atilla2k wrote:

That's a dream come true! I've been thinking about going to NYCC/Big Apple Comic Con sometime in the near future.

If I remember right, it cost me $100.00 for the photo op. But like you said it's a dream come true and Stan "The Man" isn't getting any younger!

Atilla2k
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2013 10:18:34 AM

Reggie wrote:
...and Stan "The Man" isn't getting any younger!

Crying Broken Heart Crying

roguesquad
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2013 7:52:37 PM

I've never been to a con but would love to go. I'm trying to plan on going to Boston Comic Con since that's the closest one to me. Seems like it would be a good one for my first time.. not too crazy like NYCC or Fan Expo.

All That I Need Are Things I Don't Need.
ebcomix
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2013 8:07:26 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Boston Comic con is a great show and the guys that run it are comic supporters. I set up at the first few BCC shows.

I lived in North Boston off and on the last few years and I warn you that the traffic and parking will be horrible. They started a bunch of projects recently that are going to make driving in Boston a nightmare

Good luck!
Dave H
ocphil
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 4:59:23 AM

What's left to say? Most of the golden age artists and writers are gone and silver age is fast following. Stan Lee is 90. The video game area is packed and so are the movie booths. And toys. The most room to breathe is in the comic section where you can get silver age books for half off. Lots of costumes which is fun. Too many zombies enough already. Go meet other fans and creators.
Khaine
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 6:59:38 AM

ebcomix wrote:
Boston Comic con is a great show and the guys that run it are comic supporters. I set up at the first few BCC shows.

I lived in North Boston off and on the last few years and I warn you that the traffic and parking will be horrible. They started a bunch of projects recently that are going to make driving in Boston a nightmare

Good luck!
Dave H

I'm heading up to Ft. Devens for training in the month of August. You have a brick and mortar shop I can visit?