Hmm...I thought it was "The Minuteman"Smug

It's as if you're in the room, sir.

At least she doesn't call him "The Wizzer..."

WHIZZER, sir. WHIZZER. ;)

vgorgol
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 8:32:23 PM

Groups: Member

Love:

CCL is a great tool for managing my collection. I am a collector, not a seller, so the only features that matter to me personally are those that help me keep track of my long boxes and what is in them. CCL is excellent at that.

Hate:

Once again, I will preface that I am a collector.One thing I have found missing in CCL since day one, the one thing I have pined for and requested numerous times, is a way to value my collection. Other collection management systems have access to price guides and you can calculate the value of your collection. CCL, to me at least, needs to have that. I want to insure my collection and it is that step that is preventing me from doing so, without having some third party go through my collection and tabulate it for me, which would be timely and costly.
Tamwood
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 10:30:46 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

vgorgol wrote:

Hate:

Once again, I will preface that I am a collector.One thing I have found missing in CCL since day one, the one thing I have pined for and requested numerous times, is a way to value my collection. Other collection management systems have access to price guides and you can calculate the value of your collection. CCL, to me at least, needs to have that. I want to insure my collection and it is that step that is preventing me from doing so, without having some third party go through my collection and tabulate it for me, which would be timely and costly.

We could always just make up values, like the other websites do. If you want to insure your collection, buy an Overstreet, sit down, and figure out what your books are worth. Repeat as needed every couple of years.
SwiftMann
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 11:06:26 PM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

vgorgol wrote:
Hate:

I've seen this complaint on and off over the years (less on than off lately) and always wonder, have you priced out insurance? It's expensive!

I simply exported my collection from CCL to Excel, including trades and HCs, and then got enough on the list based on cover price to meet what I wanted/could afford my replacement cost to be (around $25,000). No need for values and I explained to my agent I was using cover price.

Has DC Done Something Stupid Today?

"The return of beards and 90's fashion makes hipsters and homeless people impossible to tell apart." - Woody, Quantum & Woody #5
BurningDoom
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 11:43:35 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

vgorgol wrote:
Love:

CCL is a great tool for managing my collection. I am a collector, not a seller, so the only features that matter to me personally are those that help me keep track of my long boxes and what is in them. CCL is excellent at that.

Hate:

YES! I would love this.

I know most people would argue that the values fluctuate too much to do this, and eBay is a better indicator. But I would like something to see the value of my ENTIRE collection. And there is an annual industry standard out there, The Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide. I don't see how that's any different than a Kelley Blue Book, prices fluctuate on cars in real-time, but that's their industry standard.

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
CrossbowComics
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 12:53:58 AM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

BurningDoom wrote:
vgorgol wrote:
Love:

Hate:

YES! I would love this.

I know most people would argue that the values fluctuate too much to do this, and eBay is a better indicator. But I would like something to see the value of my ENTIRE collection. And there is an annual industry standard out there, The Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide. I don't see how that's any different than a Kelley Blue Book, prices fluctuate on cars in real-time, but that's their industry standard.

Way way to much work, and for limited profit. Then it's more work when the next guide comes out, then there are probably complaints because Overstreet has Deadpool 54-55 at $3 even though they're $50 on Ebay. I admit it's a neat idea but it's hard to see it happening.

also top rated plus with all 5.0's as ideaman33
grading guaranteed within 1/2 point
43rdStreetComicBooks
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 6:06:17 AM

CrossbowComics wrote:
BurningDoom wrote:
vgorgol wrote:
Love:

Hate:

YES! I would love this.

Way way to much work, and for limited profit. Then it's more work when the next guide comes out, then there are probably complaints because Overstreet has Deadpool 54-55 at $3 even though they're $50 on Ebay. I admit it's a neat idea but it's hard to see it happening.

Honestly I would agree Overstreet is probably the best bet to get a good value on your collection.
But heres a few things Ive learned over the years collecting, buying and selling
1) By time Overstreet comes out a lot of the values in there are months old and can be more or less then current values
2) Comic is really only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it
3) Comic is always worth more to the collector who owns it and appreciates it

"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convince the world he didn't exist"

www.43rdstreetmtgcards.com

www.43rdstreetcomicbooks.com

SwiftMann
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 7:04:47 AM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

CrossbowComics wrote:
BurningDoom wrote:
vgorgol wrote:
Love:

Hate:

YES! I would love this.

Agreed with all of this. Plus Overstreet is only somewhat worthwhile if the book is pre-1990. Everything after is completely mispriced. And their refusal to let books be less than cover would overstate everyone's collection value.

Has DC Done Something Stupid Today?

"The return of beards and 90's fashion makes hipsters and homeless people impossible to tell apart." - Woody, Quantum & Woody #5
freakdylan
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 10:14:55 AM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

43rdStreetComicBooks wrote:
CrossbowComics wrote:
BurningDoom wrote:
vgorgol wrote:
Love:

Hate:

YES! I would love this.

Honestly I would agree Overstreet is probably the best bet to get a good value on your collection.
But heres a few things Ive learned over the years collecting, buying and selling
1) By time Overstreet comes out a lot of the values in there are months old and can be more or less then current values

Using price guide isnt a very good idea for reasons stated. However a simple but effective fix would be to add in the market stats from CCLs own DB. So right after "Price Paid" and "Condition" you could add in "MS Same Condition" + "MS Avg Price".

This way if no comic has sold in that condition you can at least get the avg sale price of that comic. Now obviously isnt perfect since not everything will have always sold, but it gives users a baseline and as CCL grows and more stuff is sold will become a better tool.

freakdylan
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 10:17:24 AM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

To add to that thought you could also add in the market stats for whats currently listed in same or average condition.

I love the market stats here. I use it before I buy anything.

The_Valiant_One
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 10:36:42 AM

Groups: CCL Feature Crew, Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

vgorgol wrote:
Love:

Hate:

We're REALLY working on this. Still trying to figure out a way to get this info in without the community having to constantly manage it.

The_Valiant_One
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 10:38:49 AM

Groups: CCL Feature Crew, Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

CrossbowComics wrote:
BurningDoom wrote:
vgorgol wrote:
Love:

Hate:

YES! I would love this.

Anyone remember several years ago when WIZARD attempted the price guide/cataloging system? I tried it and found it somewhat useful...giving a percentage up and percentage down every month on value. The only problem I'm guessing they ended up with is how they aggregate their info AND keep it updated. I'm guessing it was a beast to manage...since it didn't last forever.

43rdStreetComicBooks
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 1:53:42 PM

I dont remember that but I do remember when they had wizardworld.com, when you buy and sell comics, started selling some on there before they gave control over to some management company that ended up ruining the whole thing because they got to greedy and stealing money lol

"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convince the world he didn't exist"

www.43rdstreetmtgcards.com

www.43rdstreetcomicbooks.com

CrossbowComics
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 2:23:42 PM

Shop at My Store

I just had a small light bulb go off, there really isn't a good online price guide anywhere (correct me if I'm wrong). Overstreet is not on the ball anymore either. A GOOD online price guide would attract a lot of traffic & could be a partner site to CCL. A project like this isn't practical right now but if CCL ever gets to the point where they're going to advertise, an online guide might be a better investment than say, a full page ad in Marvel. The $ the site took in from advertising could be used to pay someone to keep the site updated.

A message board that discussed which prices need to go up or down would probably be a big hit too.

also top rated plus with all 5.0's as ideaman33
grading guaranteed within 1/2 point
Xylob
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 3:12:02 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

Ambitious!
I think that's a great idea, but I can't imagine the logistics (or finances!) of making it work properly. Anything short of doing it right would be half-assed at best and doomed to failure.

To say that "Overstreet is not on the ball anymore" is such a gross understatement... Overstreet is pathetic.

It doesn't matter if it's 50 Cents or 50 Dollars - if you list it as NM it better be NM.
Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!

Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...
pottersan
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 4:30:55 PM

Shop at My Store

The_Valiant_One wrote:
CrossbowComics wrote:
BurningDoom wrote:
vgorgol wrote:
Love:

Hate:

YES! I would love this.

Anyone remember several years ago when WIZARD attempted the price guide/cataloging system? I tried it and found it somewhat useful...giving a percentage up and percentage down every month on value. The only problem I'm guessing they ended up with is how they aggregate their info AND keep it updated. I'm guessing it was a beast to manage...since it didn't last forever.

I started a few threads on this years ago. It was an awesome site to sell on back around 2001.....

Join me on Marvel War of Heroes! Alphacomics, use referral code eng572582 and get bonus items!!

Visit My Facebook Page!

Alpha Comics has LOOSE Action Figures & T Shirts!

Other great CCL Stores;
BlueMoon Comics, The Comic Book Stop, Comics Castle, ComicVortex, TREEHOUSE , The Android's Dungeon, Nerdgasm_Comics
vgorgol
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2013 1:33:12 PM

pottersan wrote:
The_Valiant_One wrote:
CrossbowComics wrote:
BurningDoom wrote:
vgorgol wrote:
Love:

Hate:

YES! I would love this.

I started a few threads on this years ago. It was an awesome site to sell on back around 2001.....

The best online guide I have seen is http://comicpriceguide.com/. I am not really sure how accurate it is, never compared it to Overstreet etc, but it is a great starting point. Also, other comic collector systems do have a price guide associated, so I know that it is possible.
4saken1
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2013 5:11:05 PM

Shop at My Store

vgorgol wrote:
The best online guide I have seen is http://comicpriceguide.com/. I am not really sure how accurate it is, never compared it to Overstreet etc, but it is a great starting point.

Not a bad site for most items. For being an on-line site, though, they are incredibly slow to adjust their prices on many items. I've seen comics that spike in price on e-Bay for whatever reason and changes won't show up on comicpriceguide.com for months.

ComicVortex

Current specials:

Get 30% Off Select Comics
For every comic you purchase from our 'Bargain Bin' (those priced $1 or less), another comic purchased over $1 will be $30% off (refunded via PayPal). eg. If you purchase 10 'Bargain Bin' books, then 10 books purchased that are each over $1 will recieve this refund, etc.

Free Shipping

Every domestic order of 25 or more comics gets FREE SHIPPING (Media Mail). Though I can't provide Free Shipping on foreign orders, we do offer a $5 refund on postage for purchases of 25 or more comics to foreign countries or a $10 refund if you buy 50 comics (again, foreign orders only).