Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
So how far do you take collecting one character? Options
ratrapp
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2013 8:23:35 PM
Groups: Member

I love the flash and green lantern and am missing 105 and 106 for 105-350 but those may never come and am missing 1,2,4, and 5 for green lantern 1-224 for the green lantern set.i know realistically i'll never be able to afford there showcase apperances but this is good enough for me.i have a big run of showcase,25-106 plus issues 5,15 16,20,21 but all the rest are almost unobtainable for me.even the adam strange issues are very high so i'll have to settle for what I've got.
Khaine
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2013 8:08:49 AM
Groups: Member, Subscriber

I'm pretty much only interested in Green Lantern, Flash, Wonder Woman and X-men. I've just been getting the main titles I'm not really interested in the special appearance stuff nor am I hell bent in getting a full run of any of those titles.

My cut off year is 78' anything before that I'm not too interested in as that's before my time. For DC it's pre crisis stuff, N52 and just for the green lantern john geoff run(along with most of the cross over stuff).

The X-men it's just Chris Clairmont's initial run starting with john byrne and ending around jim lee.

I read what I buy so top shelf condition hasn't been a factor, although I don't like stuff that's in tatters either.
HarleyQuinnLover
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 2:32:39 AM

When it comes to a particular character, the only one that I want all of their appearances is Harley Quinn. I collect everything, from the comics (even the most minimalist appearances as single panels or covers) to toys to coloring books.

Read all about my comic collecting and finds at my blog: www.collectiblehunter.wordpress.com

Follow me on Twitter to talk comics, art, or gaming: @NerdomCome
JimmmKelly
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 11:37:16 AM

One good thing about publishers putting a character in limbo is it puts a definite limit on how many comics you need to complete your collection.

I'm not rabid about it, but I have almost every appearance of the Elongated Man. Except that I refuse to buy IDENTITY CRISIS and therefore every appearance after that is not needed in my opinion--although I have a few issues of COUNTDOWN.

I would say the same goes for any other character. When that character stops being the character that you want, then it's just self-punishment to try and get all those issues that fall outside your own comfort zone.

This does get a bit messy. At what point does Green Lantern or Iron Man stop or begin to be the character that a reader wants him to be? For every reader the answer will be different and will determine what limits they put on being completist.

MY FAVOURITE FUNNIES
rook68
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 3:13:13 AM

JimmmKelly wrote:
One good thing about publishers putting a character in limbo is it puts a definite limit on how many comics you need to complete your collection.

I'm not rabid about it, but I have almost every appearance of the Elongated Man. Except that I refuse to buy IDENTITY CRISIS and therefore every appearance after that is not needed in my opinion--although I have a few issues of COUNTDOWN.

I would say the same goes for any other character. When that character stops being the character that you want, then it's just self-punishment to try and get all those issues that fall outside your own comfort zone.

This does get a bit messy. At what point does Green Lantern or Iron Man stop or begin to be the character that a reader wants him to be? For every reader the answer will be different and will determine what limits they put on being completist.

Good for you JK. I like your thinking. Identity Crisis really screwed that character up.

(referring to an original comic book piece) This is a art gallery my friend and THIS is a piece of art.

Elijah Price "Unbreakable"
played by Samuel L. Jackson

43rdStreetComicBooks
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 6:19:08 AM

I dont collect series anymore, gave that up years ago, but when I did I collected X-men, basically anything X-Men related, Xmen, Xman, xfactor, xforce, uncanny xmen and so on and so on etc etc. But now what I collect is covers. Any comic title doesnt matter I do have a few things I look for but basically boils down to does it look cool enough to put it in a frame and hang on the wall. One of my favorites is an issue my younger brother got me for my, funny coincidence, 25th birthday, the holofoil #25 edition of The Darkness. Framed and hung right next to my desk, I keep her seperate from the others.

"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convince the world he didn't exist"

www.43rdstreetmtgcards.com

www.43rdstreetcomicbooks.com

jhorsley3
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 6:08:00 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

I collect Superman primarily, but I have no desire to get every appearance. I mainly focus on all title runs. Yes, this include the original series (which my current oldest is #6), but it get's expensive and daunting to look at the number of issues I would need to 'complete' my sets.

Like our facebook page: Th3 Comics
BurningDoom
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 7:04:33 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

jhorsley3 wrote:
I collect Superman primarily, but I have no desire to get every appearance. I mainly focus on all title runs. Yes, this include the original series (which my current oldest is #6), but it get's expensive and daunting to look at the number of issues I would need to 'complete' my sets.

He is likely the hardest character to get every appearance of, considering he's been going strong since 1938.

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
JimmmKelly
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 8:35:23 PM

I dunno. Yes, it's pretty hard to get Golden Age Superman comics at a good price, but when I was buying my Superman comics in the '70s and '80s I thought they would be worth something some day. Turns out no.

I recently bought a pile of early '80s SUPERMAN and ACTION COMICS back issues to complete my runs of those (now my runs go back to around 1963, with only a few missing issues). I was able to buy these for very little money. In fact, if you adjust for inflation, I probably got them cheaper than if I had bought them when they first came out.

MY FAVOURITE FUNNIES
BurningDoom
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 10:50:25 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

JimmmKelly wrote:
I dunno. Yes, it's pretty hard to get Golden Age Superman comics at a good price, but when I was buying my Superman comics in the '70s and '80s I thought they would be worth something some day. Turns out no.

I recently bought a pile of early '80s SUPERMAN and ACTION COMICS back issues to complete my runs of those (now my runs go back to around 1963, with only a few missing issues). I was able to buy these for very little money. In fact, if you adjust for inflation, I probably got them cheaper than if I had bought them when they first came out.

Golden Age stuff is especially expensive when it comes to Superman.

But I wasn't speaking so much the issues being worth a lot so much as I was the sheer amount of it. For nearly his entire history, Superman has had multiple titles running plus mini-series, one-shots, and guest-appearances. And then you also have to account for Pre-Crisis Superboy, JLA, JSA, and Legion of Super-Heroes issues. And all of that has been running for over 75 years at this point.

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
jhorsley3
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2013 1:13:16 AM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

I have no illusions of getting them all, I just like to try you know. It's a dream to one day check off the last issue on the list. I know I never will, but that's the fun in it that it is an unobtainable goal to some extent. Once it's complete then what do I do?

My dad was able to complete a Superman (1939) series at one point in his life, granted that was in the later 1980's, but I've always thought if he can do I can too (or at least try).

Collecting every appearance of Superman would be insane...

900+ issues of Action
700+ issues of Superman
400+ issues of adventure/man of steel
300+ issues of worlds finest
500+ issues of adventure comics
300+ issues of Superboy
350+ issues of Jimmy Olsen/Lois Lane/Superman Family

Then there is all the rest...thousands of comics for all of them.

Like our facebook page: Th3 Comics
kisstour03
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2013 8:34:50 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

Since starting this thread I've narrowed it down to collecting just the main Incredible Hulks series'. Along with Tales to Astonish and of course the current Indestructible Hulk series.

Funny you guys should mention Superman. I recently started picking up some Action Comics as a side focus to my Hulk set. There are other as well but these are the "main" ones right now. Hawkman being another high priority. Along with Flash, Wonder Woman and Captain America. With a smattering of JSA titles thrown in. It's an addiction.