Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
A Moral Dilemma Options
MoonKnight1
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2013 11:02:58 AM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

I have to make a decision soon and I am very conflicted.

To Preface: In my urban neighborhood I am sometimes referred to as "The Crazy Cat Guy". I have always owned a cat, or two, or five... Right now I am caring for seven strays that popped up last year. I (and a like minded neighbor) were able to gather them up and got them spayed/neutered and rabies shots. So, I love cats.

A couple days ago I found a small kitten, probably almost a year old, wandering in the alley. It wasn't one of mine but she came right up to me and was very friendly so I figured she was a house cat at some point. I picked her up and put her on my enclosed back porch with food, water and bedding.

I just found out who she belonged to and herein lies the problem. I am familiar with the family who previously owned the cat and, I hate to judge people, but I'm not sure if I want to return her. There are three young boys - 12 and under - who live with their Mom and some guy who may or may not be the father of one or more of the kids. They live across the alley from me and I hear them fighting and cursing at each other all of the time (even the kids) and have had one unpleasant encounter when one of the boys and a friend of his destroyed a cactus garden that I was growing on my property.

The boys aren't really that bad, I have had some conversations with them from time to time and I don't think that they are malicious. Maybe not too bright but generally OK.

In addition, I'm not 100% positive but it's very likely that the cat has never been to a vet. I also think that she is about to go into heat and there are still some big, mean tomcats running around here. I love cats, but I don't need another 3-4 strays in six months.

Here are my choices:

1. Keep her myself.
- Can't do it. I am already stretched thin just taking care of me and mine.

2. Give her back to the family
- I'm very reluctant. This is probably the right thing to do but I don't know if it will turn out for the best. The person who told me whose cat it was also said that they didn't treat her well. I don't know for sure, that's second hand information.

3. Give her away
- I Know from experience that all I have to do is say "free kitten" on Craigslist and someone will contact me within the hour. I don't know for sure if the new owner would be better or worse and I might end up having to explain to the family why I gave their cat away.

The same person who told me who she belonged to also said that they didn't seem too concerned that she was missing. But then again that's second hand info, so I can't be sure.

Typing all this out has been helpful but I would welcome any opinions or advice please.

Fantastic News! Hall of Heroes has now surpassed 600 Hero Ratings! I couldn't have done it without all of you and I will strive to maintain and improve my high standards. Which brings me to my next announcement - starting now, all shipments will come with tracking at no extra charge to you! I'm a little late to the party but as they say - better late than never. You spoke and I heard you loud and clear. Excelsior!

Now with 1,500+ positive feedback on the four letter site!
Standing offer to all CCL Members - every purchase you make from my other store (link below) earns you at least one freebie of my choice! If you purchase from Hall Liquidations send a PM to Hall of Heroes and let me know! Thanks!

Hall Liquidations

freakdylan
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2013 11:33:54 AM

Groups: Member

Regardless of what you think, you dont know for a fact how they treat the cat. The cat doesnt look mistreated or underfed so obviously they do take care of some what. Plus those 3 boys may miss the cat.

Thanks to the following sellers for helping me put together my complete run of Amazing Spider-man #1-700

ComicCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Now for the sellers helping me finish my TMNT collection:

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics

Shadowdodger
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2013 11:42:44 AM

In the spirit of full disclosure, I'm not a big fan of cats. Or rather of being a cat owner. We have 2 and that's 2 too many for my liking.

That being said, I like other people's cats and I love animals in general (though really I just prefer dogs). It seems to me you really only have two options since you already said you can't take her in yourself.

1) Give her back

2) Find her a new home

I'm inclined to say find her a new home. You've experienced yourself how stressful it could be for her at your neighbor's house with all the yelling and swearing. It might be why she ran away in the first place. Are there any no-kill shelters in your area? You may have to pay to surrender her to one, but it might be worth it.

Shadowdodger says: "Shop at these fine stores"

Bamf!!!! Hall of Heroes ComicsMD ComicVortex
Comic Hunter Legends Comix and Games Blue Moon Comics Comic Cellar
MoonKnight1
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2013 12:02:47 PM

Shop at My Store

freakdylan wrote:

Regardless of what you think, you dont know for a fact how they treat the cat. The cat doesnt look mistreated or underfed so obviously they do take care of some what. Plus those 3 boys may miss the cat.

Very true, I'm more concerned about neglect rather than abuse. I know if I was a kid and my pet went missing I would feel bad. I'm thinking about offering to help them get her spayed at least.

Fantastic News! Hall of Heroes has now surpassed 600 Hero Ratings! I couldn't have done it without all of you and I will strive to maintain and improve my high standards. Which brings me to my next announcement - starting now, all shipments will come with tracking at no extra charge to you! I'm a little late to the party but as they say - better late than never. You spoke and I heard you loud and clear. Excelsior!

Standing offer to all CCL Members - every purchase you make from my other store (link below) earns you at least one freebie of my choice! If you purchase from Hall Liquidations send a PM to Hall of Heroes and let me know! Thanks!

Hall Liquidations

MoonKnight1
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2013 12:34:07 PM

Shop at My Store

Shadowdodger wrote:
I'm inclined to say find her a new home. You've experienced yourself how stressful it could be for her at your neighbor's house with all the yelling and swearing. It might be why she ran away in the first place. Are there any no-kill shelters in your area? You may have to pay to surrender her to one, but it might be worth it.

If I do decide to find her a new home it won't be at a shelter. I have nothing against those places, they do an incredible job. The sad fact is, at least in Richmond anyway, they have more animals than they can care for. The local SPCA has even contacted me about being a surrogate for kittens with no mother to care for them. As much as I would like to help, I'm just in no position to do so. I know that I can post on Craigslist and have a taker within hours but that doesn't actually guarantee that it would be a better environment.

Thanks for your input. Tomorrow morning I will either bring her back or place the CL ad. Still struggling with the decision.

Hall Liquidations

Atilla2k
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2013 12:45:18 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

Option #3 (as a cat guy myself we'd make room for another...) all sentient beings deserve a neglect free happy home. ALL my cats are indoor cats ONLY, I do not agree w/ people who let their cats out into this dangerous world (especially an urban environment) where god knows what can happen to them. So if you (not you, but the 'other family')cannot take care of the cat find it a good home. It's not like you've noticed any 'Missing Cat' flyers around....

MoonKnight1
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2013 1:26:55 PM

Shop at My Store

Atilla2k wrote:
Option #3 (as a cat guy myself we'd make room for another...) all sentient beings deserve a neglect free happy home. ALL my cats are indoor cats ONLY, I do not agree w/ people who let their cats out into this dangerous world (especially an urban environment) where god knows what can happen to them. So if you (not you, but the 'other family')cannot take care of the cat find it a good home. It's not like you've noticed any 'Missing Cat' flyers around....

Trust me, I would love to keep this cat. Problem is, I already care for the other seven and I live on a shoestring budget as it is. I just don't think that I can take in another one as much as I may want to.

To complicate matters, emotionally anyway, I just had to bury my 10 year old cat who - despite my best efforts - got outside a week or two ago and was found in another neighbors yard on Friday barely clinging to life. She didn't make it. Not the best day of my life. But life goes on.

What I keep coming back to is this: Who am I to decide whether or not this family deserves or is capable of raising a pet? I don't know much about them other than the frequent disturbances everyone in the area can easily overhear. And they have an older cat that hasn't been fixed, hence the kitten. But the kitten could be the only source of solace the kids have. The worst thing that could happen is that I return her and then she turns up either pregnant (bad) or deceased (heartbreaking). But I would also feel awful if I stole some children's pet.

My neighborhood isn't the best for outside pets. I live very close to two major roads plus the highway and the alley behind my house is frequently used by drivers trying to take a short cut. They come through at 35-40 MPH some times which really pisses me off. There are a few mean, virile tomcats that fight with my strays and impregnate anything they can. I also live very close to the James River so we get possums, racoons, foxes and even a black bear a couple of years ago.

Thank you for helping me think through this.

Hall Liquidations

kisstour03
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2013 2:51:58 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

It is a tough choice. If it were me I think I'd either keep her of find a new home. For me I just wouldn't be happy with not really knowing how she'd be treated in her "real" home.

We love cats in my house. We have four of our own and at least four strays that come every night for a handout.
Peacefuldragon
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2013 5:11:12 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Man I totally get you predicament. I have seven "strays" living with me now. You have a good heart and I get you not wanting to hurt those kids but looking at the size of the cat, how long have they really had it? Trust me, they will be over it tomorrow. And besides, a few days of sadness is not worth a lifetime of neglect for this little guy. Craigslist can also be a death sentence for the cat as people troll those sites looking for animals for devious reasons. My wife once found a box in a parking lot with ELEVEN puppies inside. We sat in Target parking lot for a few hours and gave them all away. Bet you could do that with this guy. Either way good luck and good job from one cat lover to another!

If all you have is a hammer, then everything looks like a nail.
freakdylan
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2013 5:24:36 PM

I am pretty floored that so many people say to give away another persons personal pet with no notion on how it is treated. It is really really sad. You all have passed judgement on someone you dont even know! None of you even Moon know how they care for this cat.

Just because it got out means nothing, Moon stated his own cat got out once and passed away.

The "Right" thing to do would be to go over and tell them you found the kitten. Now if they then say they dont want it you have the 2 other options. But to simply keep or give away someones personal property based on hunches is plain wrong.

Whats next should you take the car if its not washed enough?
Maybe take the kids because they have on last years Jordans.

Thanks to the following sellers for helping me put together my complete run of Amazing Spider-man #1-700

ComicCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics

Xylob
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2013 5:36:42 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

many many years ago the family who lived 2 doors down from my cousin had a cat that the adults completely neglected and the young children constantly tormented.
these children had tried to flush the kitty, put him in the freezer, and run him through the clothes dryer in addition to constantly hitting, throwing, and kicking him.
one day we were sitting on the shared balcony of the apartment building taking a break from moving my cousin into my apartment a few buildings over when the boy ran out the front door and booted the cat off the second floor balcony onto the concrete below, then gleefully ran into the house giggling his inbred little ass off.
I turned to my cousin and said "That's my cat now.".
He stood up and said "Yup.", then we went down and took that cat to our new place.
No regrets. No second thoughts.

However, you don't know for a fact that the people in question here are neglecting or abusing this cat and as dylan pointed out, kitty looks healthy, fed, and isn't injured. Also, the fact that she came right up to you doesn't really indicate fear of people that one would expect from a cat that's been abused.

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
Shadowdodger
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2013 5:37:10 PM

freakdylan wrote:
I am pretty floored that so many people say to give away another persons personal pet with no notion on how it is treated. It is really really sad. You all have passed judgement on someone you dont even know! None of you even Moon know how they care for this cat.

Just because it got out means nothing, Moon stated his own cat got out once and passed away.

The "Right" thing to do would be to go over and tell them you found the kitten. Now if they then say they dont want it you have the 2 other options. But to simply keep or give away someones personal property based on hunches is plain wrong.

You make a valid point. I think I'd be pretty mad if someone decided to start giving my stuff away.

I stand by what I said though. If there's evidence this animal is being mistreated I think it's OK for him to try to find it a new home.

Shadowdodger says: "Shop at these fine stores"

Bamf!!!! Hall of Heroes ComicsMD ComicVortex
Comic Hunter Legends Comix and Games Blue Moon Comics Comic Cellar
MoonKnight1
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2013 5:57:48 PM

Shop at My Store

freakdylan wrote:

That may have been the smack in the face I needed.

You are damn right. That was my first instinct, go over and tell them I found the kitten, see what they say. It's quite possible they (the parents) would welcome an easy out. She doesn't appear to have been abused physically, I just wonder about their ability or willingness to take care of her. I will offer to help getting her spayed if they want her back.

I guess the weird synchronicity of my cat dying and then finding this new one has me screwed me up a little.

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts. It has really helped me think things through. I am not ashamed to admit that sometimes I care too much.

Hall Liquidations

ukblueky
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2013 8:52:57 PM

freakdylan wrote:

I am in 100% agreement with Dylan.

freakdylan
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2013 9:06:01 PM

MoonKnight1 wrote:

You are damn right. That was my first instinct, go over and tell them I found the kitten, see what they say. It's quite possible they (the parents) would welcome an easy out. She doesn't appear to have been abused physically, I just wonder about their ability or willingness to take care of her. I will offer to help getting her spayed if they want her back.

I guess the weird synchronicity of my cat dying and then finding this new one has me screwed me up a little.

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts. It has really helped me think things through. I am not ashamed to admit that sometimes I care too much.

Hopefully they take cat back and treat it well, if not your personal zoo just got bigger, lol.

ComicCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics

comicuniversity
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2013 7:15:19 AM
Groups: Member, Moderator

I didn't read anybody elses advice on purpose, so that i could just give mine clearly and without bias, so i apologize if this has already been said.

MY two cents.

That cat is their pet. It belongs to them. You should give it back.

There. Short and sweet.
MoonKnight1
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2013 9:28:48 AM

Shop at My Store

So here's what happened.

I went over this morning, left the kitten at my house, and asked if they were missing a cat. The "man" of the house told me, well I won't quote directly but basically he said good riddance. Turns out the mother of this one just had four more and they didn't really care where this one went. So, it looks like I will be giving her away and probably will have to rescue the others in 5-6 months.

Even though it was an unpleasant experience I'm glad that you all persuaded me to do the right thing. I knew that was the right thing to do just needed a little prodding.

I am sure I can find a much better home for her. I really wish I could keep her but sadly I can't take on another one right now. She deserves a better situation than I can offer right now.

Hall Liquidations

freakdylan
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2013 9:55:26 AM

MoonKnight1 wrote:

I am sure I can find a much better home for her. I really wish I could keep her but sadly I can't take on another one right now. She deserves a better situation than I can offer right now.

But dude if you keep it you are one step closer to being the crazy cat guy, lol.

That does suck though, bad pet owners are horrible. It is a pretty cat though and hopefully you find it a good home.

ComicCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics

Alarion
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2013 12:17:33 PM

MoonKnight1 wrote:
So here's what happened.

I went over this morning, left the kitten at my house, and asked if they were missing a cat. The "man" of the house told me, well I won't quote directly but basically he said good riddance. Turns out the mother of this one just had four more and they didn't really care where this one went. So, it looks like I will be giving her away and probably will have to rescue the others in 5-6 months.

Even though it was an unpleasant experience I'm glad that you all persuaded me to do the right thing. I knew that was the right thing to do just needed a little prodding.

Applause

I had just posted quoting dylan and saying how you should at least approach them about it - but deleted it once I realized you had posted this. You did the right thing, morally and probably legally imo, and in the end, you end up with the outcome you were leaning towards anyhow. Seems like a win-win for the most part. Now you just have the trouble of finding it a home.
rook68
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2013 10:59:06 AM

MoonKnight1 wrote:
So here's what happened.

Just read this whole posting. MoonKnight you did good. I personally am not a cat guy but what you did was awesome.

(referring to an original comic book piece) This is a art gallery my friend and THIS is a piece of art.

Elijah Price "Unbreakable"
played by Samuel L. Jackson