Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Howie Hall AKA MoonKnight1 Options
MoonKnight1
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2013 6:27:48 PM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Hi Everybody! (please say that like Dr. Nick from the Simpsons)

I have been on the site myself since May, 2010 but only got into the Forums last Fall. I wish I had started earlier. A lot of you are somewhat familiar with me through the boards or Buying and Selling and I've met a couple of people in person. I thought it would be cool to post a short bio of me just for the heck of it.

Birth date - May the Fourth, 1969 age 44
Height - 6'1"
Weight - 200 lbs
Eyes - Blue
Hair - Blonde (not gray as some would have you believe)

With hair
Without

I joined the Coast Guard when I was 17 and spent 4 relatively uneventful years in the service, half full time and half Reserves. I did learn how to pilot ships and read nautical charts and a whole lot of other cool stuff. Shot some big guns.

Graduated from Johnson and Wales University with an Associates Degree in Culinary Arts. My profession of choice was Chef and I have worked in numerous restaurants, both outstanding and abysmal. I have done everything from dishwasher to Kitchen Manager but I am happiest when I am concocting some fabulous food. I have wanted to own my own place but have never been able to pull it all together although I have been close once or twice.

When my daughter was 7 years old her mother split and I spent the next 10+ years as a single dad. If you think that was easy then you are mistaken! Luckily I had a pretty good support system and I would like to think that I didn't do half bad in raising her.

I started reading comics when I was very young starting with funny animals and Archie stuff before moving on to other titles. I had a really cool Uncle who let me read all his comics. Weird War Tales, House of Mystery, Sgt. Rock, Where Monsters Dwell, basically anything horror, war or mystery related.

Believe it or not, the first comic I bought with my own money was Amazing Spider-Man #252.

You know that I was hooked. The next 20+ years were spent (Ha!) amassing my collection - 80 longboxes and a couple dozen short so far. There was a time back in the 90's when I had plenty of disposable income and I got 80% of the Marvel books per month and more than half of the DC books plus a number of Independent publishers. Not to mention the back issues I was constantly picking up! In the back of my mind I always thought that someday I would open a comic book store. Of course I always kind of thought it would be a brick and mortar but, what the hey!

About ten years ago while riding my bike home from my night job I had a bad accident. It was dark, late and I was tired and not paying close attention to what I was doing. Plus I had consumed a couple of pops after work. Through my own negligence I hit a very deep pothole and went over the handlebars. I ended up with two slipped discs, numerous abrasions and a minor concussion. It took me five years to recover (mostly) and in the meantime I had to stop working in restaurants.

I had already been working part time at Brett's Comic Pile and he needed a new shipping manager so I was given a full time position. In the entire time I held that job the stores (both eBay and CCL) had all positive feedback and Hero ratings. Unfortunately, I was laid off about 3 years ago along with all but one of the staff.

Unable to find a job I now work for myself. I operate Hall of Heroes here and Hall Liquidations on eBay. Not getting rich anytime soon but I'm doing alright.

My daughter has moved out but I have a pride of stray cats that I feed and try to keep healthy.

Well, that's the basics. Thanks for reading!

Fantastic News! Hall of Heroes has now surpassed 600 Hero Ratings! I couldn't have done it without all of you and I will strive to maintain and improve my high standards. Which brings me to my next announcement - starting now, all shipments will come with tracking at no extra charge to you! I'm a little late to the party but as they say - better late than never. You spoke and I heard you loud and clear. Excelsior!

Hall Liquidations

CrossbowComics
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2013 10:20:49 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Interesting, I was born about 80 days before you, my first comic was also a Spidey although it was issue 154 vs the Sandman.

future home - TreehouseComicShop.com