Log In Forums Help
Comic Collector Live
Home :: CCL Messageboard
Find Comics for Sale
Items For Sale
All Comics For Sale
New Releases
CGC Comics
Bundled Lots
Store Locator
Search Library
Search By Title
Publisher
Story Arc
Character
Credits
Release Date
Change Request Manager
News & Reviews
Reviews
News
Our Products and Services
Get the Software
Buying Comics And Stuff
Selling Your Comics
Opening A Store
Community
Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
marvel books losing steam Options
BurningDoom
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2013 5:45:14 PM

Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

Joined: 1/5/2007
Posts: 12,225
Points: 59,353
Location: Redding, CA
freakdylan wrote:
Tamwood wrote:
And I know one of the other two stores charges for their bags and boards.


Damn those greedy bastards


I don't think he's calling them greedy.

It's just a simple decision. Store A charges extra for bags and boards, while Store B doesn't. I'd choose Store B every time.

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
freakdylan
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2013 5:48:03 PM

Rank: Watcher
Groups: Member, Subscriber

Joined: 6/4/2012
Posts: 810
Points: 5,904
BurningDoom wrote:
freakdylan wrote:
Tamwood wrote:
And I know one of the other two stores charges for their bags and boards.


Damn those greedy bastards


I don't think he's calling them greedy.

It's just a simple decision. Store A charges extra for bags and boards, while Store B doesn't. I'd choose Store B every time.


I was joking :)
I dont use bags and boards so never fret about that part.


roguesquad
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2013 7:40:22 PM

Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Member

Joined: 6/2/2007
Posts: 1,091
Points: 3,273
Location: Maine
As far as marvel losing steam.. IMO they lost it a looong time ago. As a whole I think Marvel NOW! has been a major bust. I'm down to just 2 Marvel titles and that will be 1 title in a couple of months because X-factor is ending. I've turned my attention to Image (who I think is killing it right now) and other independent companies.

As for the LCS thing, everyone's situation is different. In my case, I got tired of driving 35-40 minutes to get my new books when I knew I could get 40% off and have them delivered to my door.. the only catch is that you are a month behind. But I can live with that. It's nothing against my LCS its just money pure and simple.

All That I Need Are Things I Don't Need.
dunleavy75
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2013 8:39:48 PM

Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Member

Joined: 9/2/2008
Posts: 12,225
Points: 39,696
Location: south/central/east/west PA
roguesquad wrote:
As far as marvel losing steam.. IMO they lost it a looong time ago. As a whole I think Marvel NOW! has been a major bust. I'm down to just 2 Marvel titles and that will be 1 title in a couple of months because X-factor is ending. I've turned my attention to Image (who I think is killing it right now) and other independent companies.

As for the LCS thing, everyone's situation is different. In my case, I got tired of driving 35-40 minutes to get my new books when I knew I could get 40% off and have them delivered to my door.. the only catch is that you are a month behind. But I can live with that. It's nothing against my LCS its just money pure and simple.


I used the same theory. At first, I used the weekly shipping option. I still saved money versus the measly 10% discount at my lcs, and the price of gas versus 35% off, free bags & boards, etc. I eventually realized if I went to monthly shipping (free), I could spend $15 more a month on books, but as you said, be a month behind. It took some getting used to, but I adjusted eventually.





Shop at - ComicsCastle - AlphaComics - TreeHouse
Shadowdodger
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2013 10:36:20 PM

Rank: Celestial
Groups: Member

Joined: 3/19/2007
Posts: 2,606
Points: 7,818
Location: Worcester, MA
My LCS is about a mile from my house, doesn't discount new books, doesn't give away bags n' boards but I shop there anyway. Why? Mostly out of loyalty. And they have great customer service. I've been shopping there almost as long as I've been collecting. Plus, I worked there for almost ten years.

Back on topic - I dropped Marvel months before the whole NOW! debacle. I was only getting X-Men but I just wasn't enjoying it anymore.

Shadowdodger says: "Shop at these fine stores"


Bamf!!!! Hall of Heroes ComicsMD ComicVortex
Comic Hunter Legends Comix and Games Blue Moon Comics Comic Cellar
hedgeknight
Posted: Wednesday, August 07, 2013 8:35:29 AM

Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Member

Joined: 4/10/2007
Posts: 2,258
Points: 14,995
Location: NC
re: Marvel, and I hate to admit it, but I've actually added a couple of books to my monthly pull list > Hawkeye and Indestructible Hulk. Why? Because I really like 'em. And...because I have all but quit buying DC books - kinda done with the New 52 stuff, yes, even Batman.

I think one thing that repeatedly hurts Marvel (and likely DC too) is the all-encompassing epic crossover events. I've heard and read a lot of negative response for Age of Ultron, and now there is the coming Infinity epic. Before these it was the Avengers/X-Men thingy, and before that...well, I can't even remember, but you get the picture. These events tax the consumer because of pressure to collect all issues to get the "full story." Is it worth it? Depends on who you ask. Will the Marvel Universe be changed forever? I doubt it.

re: Marvel and stocking books > we are fortunate in Wilmington to have three comic book stores. Two are solid and honestly, I know little about the third store which is down by the river and is hard to find if you don't know the city. I frequent the two stores so I can speak about them > and they are doing good business. Are they getting rich? Absolutely not, but they are meeting the demands of the comic book buyers in this area. They stock up on new books > ordering to fulfill subscriber orders and to put some in their back stock. Both have Facebook pages, weekly newsletters, and eBay stores. One is basically comics only while the other also does a good business in toys (old and new). Both have good back stock, plenty of Silver Age on the walls with new collections coming in regularly.
And they PROMOTE comics! They love 'em! They get excited about 'em! They offer discounts to subscribers on new books, specials of the week, buy-one-get-one-free on trades, new T-Shirts, free Previews, and when comic-related movies come out, it's party time at both stores!

Why are they succeeding where other stores are failing? I don't know > but I do know that the owners legitimately LOVE COMICS! And it shows and their customers know it and it is exciting to go into a store where the owners are nice, friendly, call you by name, suggest new titles, and genuinely love what they do. That's why I shop there.

Winter is coming...
mojorisin63
Posted: Wednesday, August 07, 2013 2:09:42 PM

Rank: Supporting Cast
Groups: Member

Joined: 12/29/2008
Posts: 36
Points: 108
I agree that older books (60'-late 90's) are way better. There was way more content back in the day. I liked it when the writer would set up the panel and give you a feel of what was going on within the panel, not just letting the art explain everything.Marvel doesn't do that anymore. And I feel Bendis writes every character the same, they all have that snarky humor. Which is fine if its spider-man. Also where are the NEW CHARACTERS! I don't want kids of characters or clones or whatever. I want new original characters dammit!
inhumanking
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2013 11:36:10 AM

Rank: Watcher
Groups: Member

Joined: 3/21/2007
Posts: 534
Points: 1,732
Location: VA, USA
i never subscribed to the idea of one company over the other, and i guess this 'losing steam' concept is the same way...

most Big 2 titles have LOST steam. with a few exceptions (Daredevil, Thor GoT, Indestructible Hulk, New Avengers and other Hickman titles), very little Marvel is appealing (Hawkeye is on my radar, haven't read it yet). same with DC (pre-Trinity War i was enjoying the batman books & Justice League & Green Lantern, and i still need to read Aquaman).

does it boil down to a shortage of top-tier talent (like Waid) and the complicit laziness of the company? i don't understand how some of what's currently being published gets approved.

but... i'm just a fan, so what do i know.

SpidermanGeek
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2013 11:46:22 AM

Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Guru, Marvel Host, Member, Moderator

Joined: 5/9/2007
Posts: 8,386
Points: 36,512
Location: Orleans, Ontario
I don't think Marvel is losing steam at all.

Superior Spider-Man is a seller, regardless of what most peoples' opinion of it is (I personally love it).

Venom has been absolutely awesome these last 3 issues or so.
Scarlet Spider seems to be back on track in both art and story after the abismal Minimum Carnage Crossover which also had made Venom a stinker of a series.
Indestructible Hulk has been excellent overall.
All-New X-Men is almost comic book perfection (until yesterday's new release that is).
Cable & X-Force has given us a very different, but equally enjoyable X-title in its own right. I dig the concept, team mandate & team dynamic.

The Avengers, Iron Man and Fantastic Four books still suck in my opinion though.


Most, if not all, of Marvel's Icon imprint books are pretty damn good too and I'm really looking forward to Painkiller Jane joining that family.



As far as LCS's go, I think we will see a rise in customer pre-order/subscription only inventory from the brick and mortar stores. Even my LCS owner said that if it wasn't for his anime, toy and statue inventory.. if he had to rely on comics alone, he would have gone under a long time ago. The overstock is a killer because the LCS pays for that up front and then forced to slash the cover price just to get rid of it and ultimately negating any profit made from new release sales.

I only get a 10% discount from them and pay for my bag and boards, but I still would chose to support them, a local business, over getting my comics from some guy who fills out orders in his boxer shorts from his 90 year old mom's basement.





Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules, here.
inhumanking
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2013 12:09:24 PM

Rank: Watcher
Groups: Member

Joined: 3/21/2007
Posts: 534
Points: 1,732
Location: VA, USA
SpidermanGeek wrote:
Venom... these last 3 issues or so.
Scarlet Spider seems to be back on track... after the abismal Minimum Carnage Crossover...
All-New X-Men... (until yesterday's new release that is).


it's this kind of ebb & flow that frustrates me. i rarely read any Spiderman titles, but Wolverine is my favorite and none of his current stuff is well done, or satisfying on any level, even. every once in awhile a 3 or 4 issue story arc will come along that gets it right, and it's that rare occurrence that keeps me on the hook. not happy, but on the hook.

SpidermanGeek wrote:
I only get a 10% discount from them and pay for my bag and boards, but I still would chose to support them, a local business, over getting my comics from some guy who fills out orders in his boxer shorts from his 90 year old mom's basement.


i chose to support the local LCS's for almost 20 years (tolerating some downright poor customer service) until the $$ factor became too much too ignore. saving $20+ on a monthly order means 5 more titles i can still purchase, regardless of what he wears, how old he is, or whose basement he sits in.

Thundercron
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2013 12:13:55 PM

Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Joined: 9/14/2008
Posts: 2,260
Points: 30,180
Location: Vancouver, Washington
mojorisin63 wrote:
I agree that older books (60'-late 90's) are way better. There was way more content back in the day. I liked it when the writer would set up the panel and give you a feel of what was going on within the panel, not just letting the art explain everything.Marvel doesn't do that anymore. And I feel Bendis writes every character the same, they all have that snarky humor. Which is fine if its spider-man. Also where are the NEW CHARACTERS! I don't want kids of characters or clones or whatever. I want new original characters dammit!


This is all true. Gone are the days of Byrne's Fantastic Four, Claremont's X-Men, or even Miller's Daredevil, where it would take you 20 to 30 minutes to sit down and really absorb a book. Now you can breeze through a new issue in like six minutes. Not a whole lot of depth or substance anymore. Except this is what today's collector is used to, so it's what they expect.
mojorisin63
Posted: Friday, August 09, 2013 10:56:17 AM

Rank: Supporting Cast
Groups: Member

Joined: 12/29/2008
Posts: 36
Points: 108
Also i'd like to add that once Quesada got in charge he started doing pretty good things with marvel(grant Morrison, creating new titles). But once he became the chief creative officer he really hasn't lived up to his title. he really hasn't been all that creative.
Alarion
Posted: Friday, August 09, 2013 11:30:23 AM

Rank: Superhero
Groups: Member, Subscriber

Joined: 6/4/2012
Posts: 108
Points: 324
Location: Gloucester, VA
Thundercron wrote:
mojorisin63 wrote:
I agree that older books (60'-late 90's) are way better. There was way more content back in the day. I liked it when the writer would set up the panel and give you a feel of what was going on within the panel, not just letting the art explain everything.Marvel doesn't do that anymore. And I feel Bendis writes every character the same, they all have that snarky humor. Which is fine if its spider-man. Also where are the NEW CHARACTERS! I don't want kids of characters or clones or whatever. I want new original characters dammit!


This is all true. Gone are the days of Byrne's Fantastic Four, Claremont's X-Men, or even Miller's Daredevil, where it would take you 20 to 30 minutes to sit down and really absorb a book. Now you can breeze through a new issue in like six minutes. Not a whole lot of depth or substance anymore. Except this is what today's collector is used to, so it's what they expect.


And at $3-4 per 6-10 minutes, it's one of the most expensive entertainment mediums available.
SuperSoldier124
Posted: Friday, August 09, 2013 5:03:05 PM

Rank: Celestial
Groups: Member

Joined: 4/3/2007
Posts: 2,937
Points: 8,872
Location: Falcon, Colorado
SpidermanGeek wrote:
I don't think Marvel is losing steam at all.

Superior Spider-Man is a seller, regardless of what most peoples' opinion of it is (I personally love it).

Venom has been absolutely awesome these last 3 issues or so.
Scarlet Spider seems to be back on track in both art and story after the abismal Minimum Carnage Crossover which also had made Venom a stinker of a series.

Indestructible Hulk has been excellent overall.
All-New X-Men is almost comic book perfection (until yesterday's new release that is).
Cable & X-Force has given us a very different, but equally enjoyable X-title in its own right. I dig the concept, team mandate & team dynamic.

The Avengers, Iron Man and Fantastic Four books still suck in my opinion though.


Most, if not all, of Marvel's Icon imprint books are pretty damn good too and I'm really looking forward to Painkiller Jane joining that family.



As far as LCS's go, I think we will see a rise in customer pre-order/subscription only inventory from the brick and mortar stores. Even my LCS owner said that if it wasn't for his anime, toy and statue inventory.. if he had to rely on comics alone, he would have gone under a long time ago. The overstock is a killer because the LCS pays for that up front and then forced to slash the cover price just to get rid of it and ultimately negating any profit made from new release sales.

I only get a 10% discount from them and pay for my bag and boards, but I still would chose to support them, a local business, over getting my comics from some guy who fills out orders in his boxer shorts from his 90 year old mom's basement.

i agree with the venom and SS but superior spider-man has just sucked. the story is getting lame and i think slott is getting stale and i don't dog gage's writing. i think as a story arch it would have worked (which what slott had intended) but marvel being marvel has once again f!@ked a story that could have been good

add me on xbox live and PSN

PS3: wartorn11b
360: precious blood1

Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

This page was generated in 0.246 seconds.

ADVERTISEMENT . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
All images on comic collector live copyright of their respective publishers. © Copyright 2008, MidTen Media Inc. GOLO241