Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Thoughts on DC New 52 At This Point Options
Atilla2k
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2013 9:06:44 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

chiller67 wrote:
He shows up at the end of #4 and features in #5.
#5 has a cool cover
http://www.comiccollectorlive.com/LiveData/Issue.aspx?id=60f6cdb9-645c-4611-882c-d9f0bbcb6b4a

Understatement!

SwiftMann
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2013 9:41:50 PM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Atilla2k wrote:
chiller67 wrote:
#5 has a cool cover
http://www.comiccollectorlive.com/LiveData/Issue.aspx?id=60f6cdb9-645c-4611-882c-d9f0bbcb6b4a

Understatement!

I LOVE Jae Lee, but isn't that mostly just a redo of this cover from three months earlier? And that was a heavily promoted image months before it was ever released.

Has DC Done Something Stupid Today?

"The return of beards and 90's fashion makes hipsters and homeless people impossible to tell apart." - Woody, Quantum & Woody #5
Atilla2k
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2013 11:06:51 PM

SwiftMann wrote:
Atilla2k wrote:
chiller67 wrote:
#5 has a cool cover

Understatement!

I LOVE Jae Lee, but isn't that mostly just a redo of this cover from three months earlier? And that was a heavily promoted image months before it was ever released.

There are similarities to be sure, Jae's cover is just so much cooler to me though.

rook68
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2013 1:16:22 AM

Groups: Member

Atilla2k wrote:
SwiftMann wrote:
Atilla2k wrote:
chiller67 wrote:
#5 has a cool cover

Understatement!

There are similarities to be sure, Jae's cover is just so much cooler to me though.

Okay. I get the shock value but this cover does nothing for me. Reminds me of covers of Crossed; and I won't touch that comic with a 10 foot pole. Those comics don't interest me.

(referring to an original comic book piece) This is a art gallery my friend and THIS is a piece of art.

Elijah Price "Unbreakable"
played by Samuel L. Jackson

Khaine
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2013 7:48:24 AM
Groups: Member, Subscriber

I'm not sure if we have the same reason but, I steer away from comics that are gorey or use sex and bad language as the major plot line.

I do like Man of God which has bad language and is pretty violent but, maybe because its in black and white it doesn't seem so bad. Plus, the language doesn't seem to be put in there as a "cool" factor like some comics.
rook68
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2013 10:49:17 AM

Khaine wrote:
I'm not sure if we have the same reason but, I steer away from comics that are gorey or use sex and bad language as the major plot line.

I do like Man of God which has bad language and is pretty violent but, maybe because its in black and white it doesn't seem so bad. Plus, the language doesn't seem to be put in there as a "cool" factor like some comics.

Yes, substance over shock value. It's all about the story.

(referring to an original comic book piece) This is a art gallery my friend and THIS is a piece of art.

Elijah Price "Unbreakable"
played by Samuel L. Jackson

ukblueky
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2013 5:13:48 PM

For those not reading the Trinity War crossover I highly recommend it. It's a six part story taking place in the 3 Justice League titles. Justice League hasn't been very good for several issues. Justice League Of America has been so so. I've never read an issue of Justice League Dark so I can't comment on it. Having said all that this story is good, really good. I am two parts into the story (I just bought JLD #22 today, the 3rd part of this story) and it has everything a great story arc should. Action (tons of it), mystery, suspense, & drama. While its had tons of action in the first two parts the dialogue has not suffered. In my opinion the writing is spot on. I can't even think of anything to find fault in with the job done by the creative teams.

Atilla2k
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2013 9:29:10 PM

I'm totally bummed, Dial H got the ax & is done this week. I really liked where the book started and the direction they took it, although the last few issues were kinda Meh.Broken Heart

Alarion
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2013 9:21:33 AM

Aside from a few random batman books, I was never really a DC guy. I started reading the new 52 stuff after working through Blackest Night and then the GL new 52 stuff (and batman). So, I'm behind. But so far, I'm really digging it. So much better than most of what Marvel is doing right now - which is kind of out of character for me to say, because I have almost always been exclusively marvel with a few independents here and there.

The GL runs were pretty decent. Batman through the first 10 or so was spectacular I thought - haven't read Death of the Family and beyond that yet, nor ANY of the other bat books.

I never really liked Superman, but now I'm reading Action, Superman and Supergirl and like them all.

Justice League - always loved Jim Lee's art, and the story so far is decent. Not great, but worthy of the read I think.

Aquaman - again, only up to the first several through this one - so far it's ok. slow, but ok.

I've liked the (start of) the new 52 so much, I've actually shifted focus on my collecting. I've relegated most of the current marvel titles I was picking up to the collection I'm putting together for my son when he's older. I think I've kept NOW Uncanny X-Men and X-Men and Deadpool, and everything else was going into his boxes. Wanting to put together Batman, JL, Green Lantern/Corps so far.

I know a lot of old time DC fans have mixed feelings about the new 52 - but I really like it as a newer DC reader. I know the basic histories of the main characters from the post-crisis universe, but I really like this one. I like getting in "on the ground floor" and seeing how they come together. It's more modern, instead of trying to fit 90 year old super heroes into the present day, it feels more real. I can certainly see how long time fans might not like it though.

just my 2 cents :)
padreglcc
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2013 12:21:39 PM

Groups: Approver, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, DC Host, Forum Admin, Member, Moderator, New Releases Host, Reviews Host, Subscriber

Atilla2k wrote:
I'm totally bummed, Dial H got the ax & is done this week. I really liked where the book started and the direction they took it, although the last few issues were kinda Meh.Broken Heart

There will be a special Dial H addendum issue among the Villains Month issues in September.

“One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say.” ~ Bryant H. McGill

Please make sure you read and understand the Forum Rules here.
Atilla2k
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2013 1:25:26 PM

padreglcc wrote:
Atilla2k wrote:

There will be a special Dial H addendum issue among the Villains Month issues in September.

That's something to be happy about atleast!

padreglcc
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2013 5:09:57 PM

Groups: Approver, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, DC Host, Forum Admin, Member, Moderator, New Releases Host, Reviews Host, Subscriber

Atilla2k wrote:
padreglcc wrote:
Atilla2k wrote:

That's something to be happy about atleast!

It'll be in Justice League #23.3 - Here's DC's solicit.

“One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say.” ~ Bryant H. McGill

Atilla2k
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2013 11:48:27 PM

Cool, Thanks! Looks like I'll have to buy one more Justice League comic after all, lol...

Tamwood
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2013 11:59:09 PM

I am personally not looking forward to this Villains Month crap. Some titles will be getting weekly books, other titles will simply not be published that month, or they might get 1, 2, 3 or 4 books.

And it's gonna be a PITA for the database.
padreglcc
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2013 7:41:26 AM

Tamwood wrote:
I am personally not looking forward to this Villains Month crap. Some titles will be getting weekly books, other titles will simply not be published that month, or they might get 1, 2, 3 or 4 books.

And it's gonna be a PITA for the database.

Even though some titles will get weekly books, it's still just 52 books - there are some titles (like StormWatch, whose current villain, Lobo, will be in Justice League 23.2, or Worlds' Finest since Earth 2 is getting 2 issues that month). In fact, many titles won't have books out in September: All-Star Western, Animal Man, Batgirl, Batman and..., Batwing, Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Catwoman, Constantine, Demon Knights, Dial H, Green Lantern Corps, Green Lantern: New Guardians, The Green Team, Katana, Larfleeze, Legion of Super-Heroes, The Movement, Nightwing, Red Hood, Red Lanterns, StormWatch, Suicide Squad, Superboy, Supergirl, Superman Unchained, Talon, Threshold, Trinity of Sin: Pandora, Trinity of Sin: Phantom Stranger, Vibe, and Worlds' Finest will all skip issues in September.

As for adding them to the DB, there will be no problems with this. We know how to add #.# issues. They'll just be a little difficult for some people to find, but adding a "Villains Month" tag will help with that.

What I don't like about Villain's month is that all issues jump up to $3.99. On the plus side, it's an excellent time for me to drop titles.

Atilla2k
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2013 11:21:16 AM

padreglcc wrote:
What I don't like about Villain's month is that all issues jump up to $3.99. On the plus side, it's an excellent time for me to drop titles.

+1 Whew!

BurningDoom
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2013 12:52:05 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

Atilla2k wrote:
padreglcc wrote:

+1 Whew!

I'm VERY interested in the Black Adam, Darkseid, Zod, Cyborg Superman, and Black Hand issues.

And being the GL fan I am, I have to check out the new villains in the GL books with the new creative team behind them.

Often times, a great villain makes a great book...

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
Shizz
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2013 7:28:34 PM

BurningDoom wrote:
Atilla2k wrote:
padreglcc wrote:

+1 Whew!

I'm VERY interested in the Black Adam, Darkseid, Zod, Cyborg Superman, and Black Hand issues.

And being the GL fan I am, I have to check out the new villains in the GL books with the new creative team behind them.

What happened to 'drawing the line...........'?
BurningDoom
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2013 7:44:46 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

Shizz wrote:
BurningDoom wrote:
Atilla2k wrote:
padreglcc wrote:

+1 Whew!

They held on to that price far longer than anyone else in the industry, including Marvel. I know I've appreciated it.

And this might be just because this is an "event". (Let's hope it's temporary.)

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
padreglcc
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2013 11:39:41 PM

BurningDoom wrote:
Shizz wrote:
BurningDoom wrote:
Atilla2k wrote:
padreglcc wrote:

+1 Whew!

They held on to that price far longer than anyone else in the industry, including Marvel. I know I've appreciated it.

And this might be just because this is an "event". (Let's hope it's temporary.)

It's temporary. After villains month, most books are going back to $2.99 while a few New 52 books (including Action Comics, Batman, Detective, Batman/Superman, Superman Unchained, Justice League, JLA, Justice League Dark, and the new Superman/Wonder Woman) will stay at $3.99.