Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
And the new Batman is... Options
4saken1
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2013 12:56:09 AM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Thundercron wrote:
You think Kilmer was a worse Batman than George Clooney?

They were both bad, but as far as my initial reaction when I heard who was playing Batman in those two movies, Kilmer seemed like the worse choice between the two at their perspective times. That is to say: Rewind 15 years, not knowing what I know now - If somebody put a gun to my head and said I had to choose Clooney or Kilmer as the next Batman, I would have had definitely gone with Clooney.

ComicVortex

Current specials:

Get 30% Off Select Comics
For every comic you purchase from our 'Bargain Bin' (those priced $1 or less), another comic purchased over $1 will be $30% off (refunded via PayPal). eg. If you purchase 10 'Bargain Bin' books, then 10 books purchased that are each over $1 will recieve this refund, etc.

Free Shipping

Every domestic order of 25 or more comics gets FREE SHIPPING (Media Mail). Though I can't provide Free Shipping on foreign orders, we do offer a $5 refund on postage for purchases of 25 or more comics to foreign countries or a $10 refund if you buy 50 comics (again, foreign orders only).

BurningDoom
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2013 1:00:46 AM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

George Clooney was BY FAR the worst Batman. Val Kilmer did a decent job, but unfortunately was in a bad movie. George Clooney did a lousy job as Batman, in a lousy movie.

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
LadyJay
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2013 1:49:40 AM

Groups: Approver, CR-Policies, Member, Moderator, Super Hero Showdown Host

kidlippy wrote:
Thundercron wrote:
Remember what everyone said about Heath Ledger being cast as Joker?

http://www.newsarama.com/18753-public-service-reminder-how-the-internet-reacted-to-heath-ledger-as-joker-casting.html

Yeah, everyone's face sure was red after The Dark Knight was released...

Would people's reaction be the same if Ledger never died?

I was wondering the same thing.

fenix1977
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2013 3:28:17 AM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

er07 wrote:
Yo Affleck was the bomb in phantoms

Rolling on the Floor Rolling on the Floor Rolling on the Floor Rolling on the Floor

Mad Bloggings

Thundercron
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2013 8:52:22 AM

Shop at My Store

LadyJay wrote:
kidlippy wrote:
Thundercron wrote:
Remember what everyone said about Heath Ledger being cast as Joker?

http://www.newsarama.com/18753-public-service-reminder-how-the-internet-reacted-to-heath-ledger-as-joker-casting.html

Yeah, everyone's face sure was red after The Dark Knight was released...

Would people's reaction be the same if Ledger never died?

I was wondering the same thing.

I have no doubt that The Dark Knight profited at the box office immensely because of Ledger's death. However, I feel his performance was stellar regardless of whether he died or not. Dying doesn't make your acting appear better than it is. If that did happen to be the case, people wouldn't still be praising it so many years later.
comicuniversity
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2013 9:03:31 AM
Groups: Member, Moderator

Thundercron, you're beating a drum nobody is hearing. LOL.

I totally agree with you by the way.

It's just, for some reason, the people on this site, enjoy badmouthing casting choices for superhero movies. You cannot win. There simply isn't an actor that could have been chosen to play Batman that the people here wouldn't have badmouthed. None.

Shizz
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2013 9:08:50 AM

Groups: Member

Atilla2k wrote:
Dead Tie! But Clooney was a better Bruce Wayne...

Time Out Nope, nope, nope, I liked Val/bats better than Keatan/bats, and 100x more than Clooney/bats or even Bruce for that matter. Total mockery.
Thundercron
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2013 9:16:55 AM

Shop at My Store

comicuniversity wrote:

It's just, for some reason, the people on this site, enjoy badmouthing casting choices for superhero movies. You cannot win. There simply isn't an actor that could have been chosen to play Batman that the people here wouldn't have badmouthed. None.

You're probably right, my friend.

What I don't really understand, though, is that nobody bats an eye when a virtual unknown is cast in a superhero role (like Henry Cavill as Superman or Hemsworth as Thor). It's when the established actors are chosen that people freak out. Really, it should be the other way around.
MoonKnight1
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2013 9:36:25 AM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

comicuniversity wrote:

It's not just people on this site. It's people on every site.

For the record, I'm willing to give him a chance. I always want to judge something myself and don't really care what "everybody else" says.

I liked the Keaton Batman better than Kilmer, although I didn't dislike Val. I just kept seeing Jim Morrison! Let's not talk about Clooney please.Sick

Fantastic News! Hall of Heroes has now surpassed 600 Hero Ratings! I couldn't have done it without all of you and I will strive to maintain and improve my high standards. Which brings me to my next announcement - starting now, all shipments will come with tracking at no extra charge to you! I'm a little late to the party but as they say - better late than never. You spoke and I heard you loud and clear. Excelsior!

Now with 1,500+ positive feedback on the four letter site!
Standing offer to all CCL Members - every purchase you make from my other store (link below) earns you at least one freebie of my choice! If you purchase from Hall Liquidations send a PM to Hall of Heroes and let me know! Thanks!

Hall Liquidations

Reggie
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2013 9:44:38 AM

Thundercron wrote:
comicuniversity wrote:

You're probably right, my friend.

What I don't really understand, though, is that nobody bats an eye when a virtual unknown is cast in a superhero role (like Henry Cavill as Superman or Hemsworth as Thor). It's when the established actors are chosen that people freak out. Really, it should be the other way around.

Not really. You guys have to realize and understand that people base their opinions on what they have seen. Ben Affleck has been in a number of bad/bombed movies. To most people he has not shown any diversity in his roles. Now as opposed to an unknown actor, nobody can base their opinion because they don't know the actor. A lot of known actors become type-cast and that is what people are basing their opinions on. There is nothing wrong with "the people on this site". We are basing our opinions on the facts presented to us. You have to understand how humans base their opinions and only then can you see why people are upset about this. With that being said, Affleck could still surprise everyone. But until we see some footage the feedback will be mostly negative.

4saken1
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2013 10:48:42 AM

Shop at My Store

I'm not saying that I won't give Affleck a chance. As I said before, I'll still go see the movie. Let's just say before Affleck was anounced to play Batman in this movie, I was very excited about this movie. Now, I'm somewhat less so.

I actually prefer when unknowns are chosen rather than when they pick a famouse person that is wrong for the part simply because their name will hopefully add to ticket sales. At least with the former, you know that they more than likely had to audition for the part and impressed somebody with their talent rather than their box office draw.

ComicVortex

Current specials:

For every comic you purchase from our 'Bargain Bin' (those priced $1 or less), another comic purchased over $1 will be $30% off (refunded via PayPal). eg. If you purchase 10 'Bargain Bin' books, then 10 books purchased that are each over $1 will recieve this refund, etc.

Free Shipping

Every domestic order of 25 or more comics gets FREE SHIPPING (Media Mail). Though I can't provide Free Shipping on foreign orders, we do offer a $5 refund on postage for purchases of 25 or more comics to foreign countries or a $10 refund if you buy 50 comics (again, foreign orders only).

4saken1
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2013 11:00:06 AM

Shop at My Store

Reggie wrote:
Not really. You guys have to realize and understand that people base their opinions on what they have seen. Ben Affleck has been in a number of bad/bombed movies. To most people he has not shown any diversity in his roles. Now as opposed to an unknown actor, nobody can base their opinion because they don't know the actor. A lot of known actors become type-cast and that is what people are basing their opinions on. There is nothing wrong with "the people on this site". We are basing our opinions on the facts presented to us. You have to understand how humans base their opinions and only then can you see why people are upset about this. With that being said, Affleck could still surprise everyone. But until we see some footage the feedback will be mostly negative.

Totally agree! People have opinions about a wide range of upcoming events. Take sports, for example. People fuss over when a player gets traded, disagree on who will win a game, and who is the better player.

I don't understand why this is different or why I shouldn't voice my opinion in the matter. This is a forum, right?

ComicVortex

Current specials:

Free Shipping

JimmmKelly
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2013 11:07:31 AM

It really depends what kind of movie they're making and what part Batman is supposed to play in that movie.

If this was a Batman movie and they were starting over from the ground up, then I think a relatively new and younger actor would serve the part. But the movie is supposed to be a Superman movie, where Cavill's character is still getting used to being Superman and what that means for him.

It seems that they want Batman to be established already--they don't want to waste screen time setting him up. So they need an established actor, who brings all his baggage with him and they don't have to write all of that into the screenplay.

It also seems that they want to draw a clear line between this move and the Nolan Dark Knight movies. If they had Christian Bale or even Joseph Gordon Levitt--it would create too much of a link with those movies and that continuity.

So they need an actor who is established, but not connected to previous Batman movies. And they need an actor to play Bruce Wayne [if Bruce Wayne is Batman in this movie]. Like with Tony Stark, that's where the acting is important. For Batman, most of that will be done by stuntmen and CGI. So Batman's other identity is key to the movie.

MY FAVOURITE FUNNIES
4saken1
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2013 11:32:30 AM

Shop at My Store

JimmmKelly wrote:
For Batman, most of that will be done by stuntmen and CGI. So Batman's other identity is key to the movie.

FWIW, I think John Hamm would have made an excellent Bruce Wayne!

ComicVortex

Current specials:

Free Shipping

BurningDoom
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2013 11:59:21 AM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

Why hasn't anyone ever put Kevin Conroy in a live-action Bat-suit? He's easily the best Batman, ever. I know he's a little older, at this point. But nothing a little Hollywood make-up and bulking up can't fix. And why didn't they use him back in the day?

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
LadyJay
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2013 1:07:26 PM

Groups: Approver, CR-Policies, Member, Moderator, Super Hero Showdown Host

4saken1 wrote:
I'm not saying that I won't give Affleck a chance. As I said before, I'll still go see the movie. Let's just say before Affleck was anounced to play Batman in this movie, I was very excited about this movie. Now, I'm somewhat less so.

I actually prefer when unknowns are chosen rather than when they pick a famouse person that is wrong for the part simply because their name will hopefully add to ticket sales. At least with the former, you know that they more than likely had to audition for the part and impressed somebody with their talent rather than their box office draw.

I prefer it when ycast unknowns, too. When they cast someone famous, there seems to be a tendency to turn the movie into a star vehicle where the plot is secondary.

To be honest, I haven't seen Man of Steel yet. I'm waiting for it to hit television (not pay per view) or prime. I've been so disappointed in every Superman movie I've ever seen that I will no longer pay to see one. If I decide I like Man of Steel, I might be willing to actually give another Superman flick a try at the movies.

Now we get to this Superman / Batman movie and I was interested. I was actually figuring I'd pay to see it, regardless of what I decide about Man of Steel. Then they cast Ben Affleck as Bruce / Batman. I haven't paid to see him in a movie since that fiasco called Daredevil (which I only saw because I was taking my son and some of his friends for his birthday that year). I have seen some of the movies he's made since, and I haven't seen anything to convince me that he has the depth it takes to pull off a good Bruce Wayne.

When you get down to it, I guess I should be thanking Warner Bros. for this bit of casting. They've saved me the price of a Movie ticket, popcorn and a drink.

comicuniversity
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2013 2:15:53 PM
Groups: Member, Moderator

4saken1 wrote:
Reggie wrote:

Totally agree! People have opinions about a wide range of upcoming events. Take sports, for example. People fuss over when a player gets traded, disagree on who will win a game, and who is the better player.

I don't understand why this is different or why I shouldn't voice my opinion in the matter. This is a forum, right?

hey man, noone said you can't voice your opinion. Just the opposite. this has actually become a fun give and take.

Just saying that you lose credibility. When I come on here, and see the same people, time after time after time, just badmouthing every single casting choice (or costume change in a comic, lol) that person loses credibility on those subjects. Know what I mean? If the opinion is ALWAYS negative, why bother voicing the opinion anymore?
4saken1
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2013 5:06:42 PM

Shop at My Store

comicuniversity wrote:
Just saying that you lose credibility. When I come on here, and see the same people, time after time after time, just badmouthing every single casting choice (or costume change in a comic, lol) that person loses credibility on those subjects. Know what I mean? If the opinion is ALWAYS negative, why bother voicing the opinion anymore?

It seems to me that when somebody complains about an actor they think is miscast for a role, and the majority of the time they turn out to be right, this would actually help their credibility.

I may have had reservations about Heath Ledger as Joker (truth be told, I don't really recall), but I can't think of any other case where my doubts didn't end up to be justified. I'll try to voice my opinion more when I think a casting choice was a wise one, though, if that helps.

ComicVortex

Current specials:

Free Shipping

Dreadnok01
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2013 6:10:13 PM

comicuniversity wrote:
4saken1 wrote:
Reggie wrote:

hey man, noone said you can't voice your opinion. Just the opposite. this has actually become a fun give and take.

To be fair I think that several of us have said that we'll withhold judgement until we see some sort of footage, but most of us have had reservations based on the past work that Affleck has put out. I personally don't dislike the guy and enjoyed a few of his movies (especially anything he's done with Kevin Smith), but I'm still very uncertain of the casting choice in this instance. I'm not saying that he'll be terrible or that I have a preference for another actor that could do better, just that I don't know if he can do as good as we'd all hope.
4saken1
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2013 8:42:39 PM

Shop at My Store

Dreadnok01 wrote:
To be fair I think that several of us have said that we'll withhold judgement until we see some sort of footage, but most of us have had reservations based on the past work that Affleck has put out. I personally don't dislike the guy and enjoyed a few of his movies (especially anything he's done with Kevin Smith), but I'm still very uncertain of the casting choice in this instance. I'm not saying that he'll be terrible or that I have a preference for another actor that could do better, just that I don't know if he can do as good as we'd all hope.

This pretty much echoes my feelings on the subject.

ComicVortex

Current specials:

Free Shipping