Welcome Guest Active Topics
And the new Batman is... Options
Thundercron
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2013 2:28:12 AM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

LadyJay wrote:
4saken1 wrote:
I'm not saying that I won't give Affleck a chance. As I said before, I'll still go see the movie. Let's just say before Affleck was anounced to play Batman in this movie, I was very excited about this movie. Now, I'm somewhat less so.

I actually prefer when unknowns are chosen rather than when they pick a famouse person that is wrong for the part simply because their name will hopefully add to ticket sales. At least with the former, you know that they more than likely had to audition for the part and impressed somebody with their talent rather than their box office draw.

I prefer it when ycast unknowns, too. When they cast someone famous, there seems to be a tendency to turn the movie into a star vehicle where the plot is secondary.

To be honest, I haven't seen Man of Steel yet. I'm waiting for it to hit television (not pay per view) or prime. I've been so disappointed in every Superman movie I've ever seen that I will no longer pay to see one. If I decide I like Man of Steel, I might be willing to actually give another Superman flick a try at the movies.

Now we get to this Superman / Batman movie and I was interested. I was actually figuring I'd pay to see it, regardless of what I decide about Man of Steel. Then they cast Ben Affleck as Bruce / Batman. I haven't paid to see him in a movie since that fiasco called Daredevil (which I only saw because I was taking my son and some of his friends for his birthday that year). I have seen some of the movies he's made since, and I haven't seen anything to convince me that he has the depth it takes to pull off a good Bruce Wayne.

When you get down to it, I guess I should be thanking Warner Bros. for this bit of casting. They've saved me the price of a Movie ticket, popcorn and a drink.

Good points by both of you as to why an unknown doesn't stir much controversy when they are cast in big roles like this.

But your comment about not paying to see Affleck in a movie since "that fiasco called Daredevil" (which I disagree with, but that's beside the point) proves my point as to why I think so many people are hating on him. He's still being judged by movies he did ten years ago. In all the rants I've seen, no one has said "Affleck? That guy from the Town and Argo and Hollywoodland? He's TERRIBLE!"

No, it sadly all falls back on stuff he did long ago.
LadyJay
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2013 3:56:56 AM

Groups: Member, Moderator, Super Hero Showdown Host

Thundercron wrote:
[quote=LadyJay]But your comment about not paying to see Affleck in a movie since "that fiasco called Daredevil" (which I disagree with, but that's beside the point) proves my point as to why I think so many people are hating on him. He's still being judged by movies he did ten years ago. In all the rants I've seen, no one has said "Affleck? That guy from the Town and Argo and Hollywoodland? He's TERRIBLE!"

Just because I haven't paid to see him, doesn't mean I haven't seen some of his more recent movies. I've seen a few of his more recent movies on television, and seen nothing to revise my opinion of his abilities.

Dreadnok01
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2013 8:22:02 AM

Groups: Member

Thundercron wrote:
LadyJay wrote:
4saken1 wrote:
I'm not saying that I won't give Affleck a chance. As I said before, I'll still go see the movie. Let's just say before Affleck was anounced to play Batman in this movie, I was very excited about this movie. Now, I'm somewhat less so.

I actually prefer when unknowns are chosen rather than when they pick a famouse person that is wrong for the part simply because their name will hopefully add to ticket sales. At least with the former, you know that they more than likely had to audition for the part and impressed somebody with their talent rather than their box office draw.

I prefer it when ycast unknowns, too. When they cast someone famous, there seems to be a tendency to turn the movie into a star vehicle where the plot is secondary.

To be honest, I haven't seen Man of Steel yet. I'm waiting for it to hit television (not pay per view) or prime. I've been so disappointed in every Superman movie I've ever seen that I will no longer pay to see one. If I decide I like Man of Steel, I might be willing to actually give another Superman flick a try at the movies.

Now we get to this Superman / Batman movie and I was interested. I was actually figuring I'd pay to see it, regardless of what I decide about Man of Steel. Then they cast Ben Affleck as Bruce / Batman. I haven't paid to see him in a movie since that fiasco called Daredevil (which I only saw because I was taking my son and some of his friends for his birthday that year). I have seen some of the movies he's made since, and I haven't seen anything to convince me that he has the depth it takes to pull off a good Bruce Wayne.

When you get down to it, I guess I should be thanking Warner Bros. for this bit of casting. They've saved me the price of a Movie ticket, popcorn and a drink.

Good points by both of you as to why an unknown doesn't stir much controversy when they are cast in big roles like this.

But your comment about not paying to see Affleck in a movie since "that fiasco called Daredevil" (which I disagree with, but that's beside the point) proves my point as to why I think so many people are hating on him. He's still being judged by movies he did ten years ago. In all the rants I've seen, no one has said "Affleck? That guy from the Town and Argo and Hollywoodland? He's TERRIBLE!"

I actually like The Town, probably in the minority there though.
What I find interesting is that there are some of us that are uncertain about the casting choice, some of us that are negative on it, and some of us that are negative about others being negative, but none of us that actually seem supportive of it. I haven't seen one post in this entire debate that said "Affleck will be an awesome Batman!!" (except for the Jay and Silent Bob quote Rolling on the Floor )
comicscastle
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2013 8:30:57 AM

My concern with Affleck or any established name actor is how long will he commit to the role. I want to see an actor willing to do several movies, not a new actor with each new movie. I have read nothing about Affleck signing on to do more than just this one picture, where as a relative unknown might have signed on for two or three pictures.

The following stores are all stores that I've dealt with or have become friends with through the forums and I highly recommend them all.
Comics Castle-owned & operated by Pat McCauslin
Alpha Comics--ComicVortex--Comic Cellar

freakdylan
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2013 9:04:17 AM

comicscastle wrote:
My concern with Affleck or any established name actor is how long will he commit to the role. I want to see an actor willing to do several movies, not a new actor with each new movie. I have read nothing about Affleck signing on to do more than just this one picture, where as a relative unknown might have signed on for two or three pictures.

I was going to say the same thing last night but got bored trying to finish reading this thread. lol

That is my one HUGE gripe with all movies, when they put some high price, big name actor in a role to get people to watch. Then the problem hits when they refuse to do sequels. Iron Man wont be iron man with out Downey, how many batmans have they had?

My biggest peeve was when they cast Russel Crowe for Master and Commander. Now they will never ever make any of those other wonderfully beautiful books into movies ARGHHHHH!

Oh also I must be in the minority but I really didnt think the Bale batmans were good at all. Ledger wasnt a good Joker to me, and the whole Bane movie sucked. They ruined Bane and all the fight sequences looked horribly slow due to all the latex, lol. I had to fast forward through fight scenes to make them look real.

Thanks to the following sellers for helping me put together my complete run of Amazing Spider-man #1-700

ComicsCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Now for the sellers helping me finish my TMNT collection:

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics

Reggie
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2013 10:03:59 AM

comicscastle wrote:

I agree 100%. Once they change an actor for a sequel I'm just not committed anymore. But as far as Affleck goes I did find this:
How Affleck got role
The article claims he has signed on for a multi-picture deal starting with Superman/Batman. Of course signing contracts means nothing these days.

BurningDoom
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2013 6:19:54 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
Shizz
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2013 6:22:54 PM

Rolling on the Floor That's great!!!
4saken1
Posted: Monday, September 09, 2013 8:16:20 PM

Shop at My Store

So, I heard Josh Brolin was a candidate for this role. He probably would have been a good choice.....

ComicVortex

Current specials:

Get some of your comics for 30% off
For every comic you purchase from our 'Bargain Bin' (those priced $1 or less), another comic purchased over $1 will be $30% off (refunded via PayPal). eg. If you purchase 10 'Bargain Bin' books, then 10 books purchased that are each over $1 will recieve this refund, etc.

Free Shipping

Every domestic order of 25 or more comics gets FREE SHIPPING (Media Mail). Though I can't provide Free Shipping on foreign orders, we do offer a $5 refund on postage for purchases of 25 or more comics to foreign countries or a $10 refund if you buy 50 comics (again, foreign orders only).

Dreadnok01
Posted: Saturday, February 01, 2014 1:22:37 AM

So has anybody seen who they cast as Lex Luthor? I really expected to see some outraged comments about this. Is everyone past the point of caring already? I think the kid is a decent actor but I really don't know what to think of this casting choice. And what about Alfred?

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/batman-vs-superman/29115/jeremy-irons-jesse-eisenberg-join-batman-vs-superman
BruceReville
Posted: Saturday, February 01, 2014 9:49:34 AM

I am holding judgment until I see the movie but all I am seeing now is one big bowl of ---- brewing. Trying to do too much too soon and with shoehorning wrong actors into spots - but then again I didn't like Hugh Jackman as Wolverine - I was wrong there.

Just When You Thought It Was Safe To Collect Again --- VARIANTS STRIKE!

Thundercron
Posted: Saturday, February 01, 2014 11:04:12 AM

Shop at My Store

These two casting choices don't really bother me. What does make me laugh, though, is this (quoted from the article):

"To quote Zack Snyder in the official Warner Bros statement: "Lex Luthor is often considered the most notorious of Superman’s rivals, his unsavoury reputation preceding him since 1940. What’s great about Lex is that he exists beyond the confines of the stereotypical nefarious villain. He’s a complicated and sophisticated character whose intellect, wealth and prominence position him as one of the few mortals able to challenge the incredible might of Superman. Having Jesse in the role allows us to explore that interesting dynamic, and also take the character in some new and unexpected directions."

What's the deal with these grandiose, long-winded pronouncements that mean nothing every time a new role is cast for this movie? Just a bunch of meaningless dribble. It also kind of reads like an excuse, more than an explanation.

Don't even make these statements at all, I say. Just announce the casting, and tell people to deal with it.
kidlippy
Posted: Saturday, February 01, 2014 4:11:58 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

I'm beginning to wonder if they even care about the movie anymore...

http://www.myspace.com/kidlippy

4saken1
Posted: Saturday, February 01, 2014 5:52:47 PM

Shop at My Store

I'm just waiting for the next few cast announcements:

Wilford Brimley as The Joker
Shaquille O'Niel as Mister Mxyzptlk
and Marlon Wayans as Robin

ComicVortex

Current specials:

Get some of your comics for 30% off
For every comic you purchase from our 'Bargain Bin' (those priced $1 or less), another comic purchased over $1 will be $30% off (refunded via PayPal). eg. If you purchase 10 'Bargain Bin' books, then 10 books purchased that are each over $1 will recieve this refund, etc.

Free Shipping

Every domestic order of 25 or more comics gets FREE SHIPPING (Media Mail). Though I can't provide Free Shipping on foreign orders, we do offer a $5 refund on postage for purchases of 25 or more comics to foreign countries or a $10 refund if you buy 50 comics (again, foreign orders only).

KingZombie
Posted: Saturday, February 01, 2014 6:49:43 PM

So they get the guy who played Mark Zuckerberg, founder of facebook to play Lex Luthor... hmmmm. He can't play two evil geniuses!

(see what I did there?)Big Grin

fenix1977
Posted: Saturday, February 01, 2014 11:51:45 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

4saken1 wrote:
I'm just waiting for the next few cast announcements:

Wilford Brimley as The Joker
Shaquille O'Niel as Mister Mxyzptlk
and Marlon Wayans as Robin

The Joker will kill you...with oatmeal

Mad Bloggings