Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Blank Covers Are Getting HOT with Orignal Art On Them Options
yourplace2
Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2013 8:40:26 AM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

I have begun collecting the blank variant covers that are getting more and more frequent lately, and this past week, I discovered some WALKING DEAD blank covers with original artwork on them.

These are beautiful covers. I have not seen so many blanks with drawings on them as the WALKING DEAD #109. I bought a couple but have not gotten them yet. Here are the photos from the purchase.

I'll post some more that I have soon. How are these handled in the database?

Post your own in this thread!

Join the store on FACEBOOK!

* All items must be returned prior to refund at your expense. Return shipping not refunded.

CrossbowComics
Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2013 8:43:04 AM

Shop at My Store

very cool, I'd have bid on them too.

COMING SOON - TreehouseComicShop.com
also top rated on Ebay as ideaman33

Inking_Zanziber
Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2013 9:16:13 AM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

Those are sweet looking! I'm hoping to get some fine art on some blanks for the Comic Book Covers 4 Cancer project (#CBC4C). I'll make sure to post when I begin to auction them.

I really hope that other publishers start putting out blanks. Yesterday I emailed IDW and Dynamite to see if they'd continue the trend. I hope that DC expands their blank cover collection to include more titles. Adam Hughes is going to be at Rose City Comic Con next month, and I'd love a Catwoman sketch on an actual issue of Catwoman. (I know that's not going to happen soon enough, that's why I'm looking to get another Batman #0.)

BTW: There's a Facebook group devoted to Comic Book Sketch Covers that has some really great stuff on it. Check it out here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/440855449274558/?hc_location=stream

John "Zanziber" Rogers - @ZanziberPoV

Zanziber's Point Of View

Tamwood
Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2013 10:41:59 AM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

yourplace2 wrote:
I have begun collecting the blank variant covers that are getting more and more frequent lately, and this past week, I discovered some WALKING DEAD blank covers with original artwork on them.

These are beautiful covers. I have not seen so many blanks with drawings on them as the WALKING DEAD #109. I bought a couple but have not gotten them yet.

The actual blank covers should be in the database under their original title listing (Walking Dead #109, in this case). Your drawn on covers aren't valid variants, but you can always add them to your personal database by scanning the covers and adding them to your personal issue.

If you're looking to re-sell them, you'd have to add the cover scans to a blank #109 listing, and hope someone doesn't assume you're crazy when a blank cover is more than $5.00. *shrug* :)
Tamwood
Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2013 10:43:50 AM

I've been getting sketches done on blank covers for a while now. They're fun, but they can be pricey. I guess if you've got the spare cash to burn, an Adam Hughes would be cool.

I've seen people charge between $25 and $150 to drawn on a blank cover. It all depends on the artist. Hughes, being expensive for a regular piece, is probably outrageous for a blank cover piece.
Inking_Zanziber
Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2013 10:56:45 AM

Tamwood wrote:
I've been getting sketches done on blank covers for a while now. They're fun, but they can be pricey. I guess if you've got the spare cash to burn, an Adam Hughes would be cool.

I've seen people charge between $25 and $150 to drawn on a blank cover. It all depends on the artist. Hughes, being expensive for a regular piece, is probably outrageous for a blank cover piece.

I was reading on his website that he charges a minimum of $20 donated to the local charity of the con he's at for a head sketch. He won't do more than that though. Still worth it, IMHO. :)

John "Zanziber" Rogers - @ZanziberPoV

Zanziber's Point Of View

BruceReville
Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2013 11:41:48 AM

Groups: Member

Tamwood wrote:
yourplace2 wrote:

These are beautiful covers. I have not seen so many blanks with drawings on them as the WALKING DEAD #109. I bought a couple but have not gotten them yet.

The actual blank covers should be in the database under their original title listing (Walking Dead #109, in this case). Your drawn on covers aren't valid variants, but you can always add them to your personal database by scanning the covers and adding them to your personal issue.

If you're looking to re-sell them, you'd have to add the cover scans to a blank #109 listing, and hope someone doesn't assume you're crazy when a blank cover is more than $5.00. *shrug* :)

What about blank covers with artist drawings released officially by the company that come with a Dynamic Forces or Compnay COA? How should those be listed?

Just When You Thought It Was Safe To Collect Again --- VARIANTS STRIKE!

Tamwood
Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2013 2:25:16 PM

Inking_Zanziber wrote:
Tamwood wrote:

I was reading on his website that he charges a minimum of $20 donated to the local charity of the con he's at for a head sketch. He won't do more than that though. Still worth it, IMHO. :)

He's really changed his practices then. Last time I saw him at a show (granted this was YEARS AGO when most artists did free sketches) he was charging $75+ for head/bust shots.

$20 for a Hughes is quite a good deal.
Tamwood
Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2013 2:26:13 PM

BruceReville wrote:
Tamwood wrote:
yourplace2 wrote:

What about blank covers with artist drawings released officially by the company that come with a Dynamic Forces or Compnay COA? How should those be listed?

They're valid variants, and can be added just like any other variant, with a scan of the COA linked in the comments, so we don't have to nag for the necessary details.
freakdylan
Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2013 7:47:47 PM

yourplace2 wrote:

These are beautiful covers. I have not seen so many blanks with drawings on them as the WALKING DEAD #109. I bought a couple but have not gotten them yet. Here are the photos from the purchase.

I love the Vampi one!

Here is my favorite from collection, has full front and back done by Neil Posis. It is by far the most extensive cover art I have ever seen with the amount of details.

Front Cover

Back Cover

Thanks to the following sellers for helping me put together my complete run of Amazing Spider-man #1-700

ComicCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Now for the sellers helping me finish my TMNT collection:

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics

yourplace2
Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2013 8:25:39 PM

Shop at My Store

Yea, that sure is a beauty too.

It was an instant sale for me when I saw Vampirella on it. Naturally she is the Walking Dead we all wish to eat us! LOL.

I have some others that are certified and in the DB as such.

This is the first I bought like this. I love it!

There are some really great ones selling over $400 on that auction place.
I didn't think that the artists were charging, that kinda takes away some of the glory, but if it isn't alot (like $20 or so, still not bad for original artwork.

Thnka for sharing that Facebook Group. I checked out the link for the charity and discovered tons of kewl WD original art covers.
http://www.heroinitiative.org/spage.asp?p=107&ti=The+Walking+Dead+100+Project

What a great idea!!!!!!

Join the store on FACEBOOK!

* All items must be returned prior to refund at your expense. Return shipping not refunded.