Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
SUMMER SUPERHERO MOVIE INSANITY!----SPOILERS GALORE Options
Shizz
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2013 9:10:53 AM

Groups: Member

Applause +1

Next to Dark Knight, best hero flick ever.
comicuniversity
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2013 4:53:22 PM
Groups: Member, Moderator

BATMAN BEGINS

REVIEW

The good:

The scene where Gordon is stuck in the Narrows and he is talking to the commisioner. The commisioner says,"there is noone left to help you", and behind him the batmobile goes firing over the bridge. AWESOME SCENE!!!

The score is excellent. I mean, whe the music rises, so does my blood.

There is a lighter side, and a real relationship between Bruce and Alfred. It's nice.

Lucius Fox. Every scene Lucius Fox is in.

I love Batman's fighting style. While he certainly is a martial arts master, he fights more like real people in the real world fight, rather than stylized movie fights. He just attacks, brutally...punching, kicking, kneeing, elbowing, tackling desperately until the enemy is subdued. It adds a real sense of realism missing from almost all violent movies nowadays.

Scarecrow is actually scary.

Carmine Falcone absolutely chews scenery. I found myself wishinh for more of the mob boss and less of the supervillains.

Detective Flass was a great greasy badguy.

The origin of Batman is told wonderfully. I mean, they fit it into this movie and it is seemless and believeable and engaging.

"Why do we fall down Bruce? So we can learn to get back up." Just great line.

Thomas Wayne is an understated part, but his role is felt throughout the movie. You get the feeling that he is in it more than he is. And that is a good thing...since he (And Martha) are Batman's uncle Ben.

Ra's Al Ghul's plan is a good one. It isn't stupid. it isn't over the top. It isn't cliche. It is a fiendish, evil, intelligent plan.

Some of the scenes where Bats is being intimidating work very well. Ex. When he is on the train staring down ra's and when he is on the subway platform saving Rachel Dawes.

The scene where he breaks into police HQ. "Now we're 2." really cool.

The scene where he rises amidst the bats. Really cool.

the opening Batman fight scene with falcones men at the docks was awesome.

The entire League of shadows portion of the movie was great. I loved the interplay between Liam Neeson and Christian Bale.

When Batman called the bats to Arkham asylum to help him escape from the police was awesome.

Gotham is appropriately dirty and corrupt. and it comes across well.

THE BAD:

Most of the comedic moments were forced and awkward. I hated all the stupid police reactions that were meant to be funny during the mad dash of the batmobile scene.

Falcone went down too easily. I kept wondering why he was at the docks in the first place. Wouldnt a crime boss just have flunkies seeing to those tasks?

Gordon seems like too much of a silly sidekick too often. the entrie sequence at the end with him in the batmobile was kinda silly. Gordon deserves better.

Lucius fox falls prey to the "master of everything scientist guy disease". Often in comics and comic movies, if a character is a scientist it means he is an absolute genius level expert in EVERYTHING. That just isn't realistic and it hurts the movie. You know? Lucius can just fix everything...from Batsuits to fear toxin antidotes.

CONCLUSION: Really good movie. Strong B+
Shizz
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2013 6:18:32 PM

You seem pretty harsh on a movie you give so much praise.

Batman Begins: Solid A

Really brought superhero movies to the next level. This was the 'Ep. IV A New Hope' of the trilogy. Great movie. The only thing I had a hard time with was the 'batman voice'. It started in this one and kind of grew into a monster in the next two.
comicuniversity
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2013 7:22:16 PM

Shizz wrote:
You seem pretty harsh on a movie you give so much praise.

Batman Begins: Solid A

Really brought superhero movies to the next level. This was the 'Ep. IV A New Hope' of the trilogy. Great movie. The only thing I had a hard time with was the 'batman voice'. It started in this one and kind of grew into a monster in the next two.

It's #4 out of 30 right now. That's pretty good, i'd say.
comicuniversity
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2013 7:35:56 PM

THE WOLVERINE

REVIEW

The GOOD:

I really liked how Logan responded to losing his healing factor. His confusion...but perserverance when the bullets hurt him in the initial Yakuza fight was well done.

Yukio's premonition of Logans' death, coupled with his dampened healing factor (and the way jackman acted it) made the peril seem real. Well done.

The Silver Samuria was pretty awesome.

I liked the scenes with the bear at the beginning of the movie.

Viper was really frickin' evil. She just exuded it. I couldn't wait for her to die, and that's a good thing in a villain.

The opening sequence with the atom bomb and Logan saving young yashida was really effective.

I felt Logans' pain when the samurai began drilling into his bone amrrow. ouch.

Harada was pretty cool with his bow in the first yakuza fight scene, taking down guys from the rooftops.

I liked how Yukio actually stuck with Wolvie at the end of the movie.

The "extra" scene with trask, Prof. X and Mags was great. Can't wait for Days of Future Past.

was really funny when a totally ferklempft Logan grabs Mariko to take her off the bullet train, when she didnt have any idea he had just been fighting on top of it.

I enjoyed the connection to X-Men the Last Stand (Jean in Logan's dreams was a nice touch.)

The BAD:

An opportunity was missed. When Logan was trying to get to Mariko near the end and had to get through the town full of ninjas. That should have been a triumphant moment...but it just fizzled.

Logan was still just an unstoppable force. he's a little like Superman going against normal dudes. Any scene where he was fully powered was a tad boring because he was just unstoppable.

Ok...I admit the fight on the speeding bullett train was cool (so thats a positive), but, holy crap was it totally over the top unbelievable (which is negative). lol Didnt know where to put this one.

Totally predictable. I knew from the friggin' preview that Yashida was the true bad guy.

The love story was not believable. At all. In fact, it was a little creepy. logan (even ignoring the immortality) is 30 or so years older than mariko. I found myself physically cringing in the theater when they were kissing.

Harada was stupid. And, his revelation at the end was stupid. I mean, his behavior in the entire movie is kind of inexplicable.

Shingen=ditto harada. His descent into madness is just not explained or understandable in any real way.

Mariko's character: Is she a strong willed leader or a wussy who wants to committ suicide. Is she bound by honor or just going her own way. Does she love harada or Logan. I mean, the filmakers couldn't decide who she was and it led to confusion for the viewer.

The entire premise of the movie. I mean, Logan has left the X-Men (his ersatz family) to be a hermit...but he gives it all up for some japanese dude he hasnt seen for 70 years? he would definitely have told yukio to go pound sand, rather than travel to Nagasaki with her.

CONCLUSION:

Waaayyyy better than the garbage fire that was X-Men Origins Wolverine. Not a superior movie, but a solid C.

4saken1
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2013 8:20:39 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Spot on for The Wolverine! I wasn't a terrible movie, but I wasn't that impressed with it, either. A definite 'C' movie!

ComicVortex

Current specials:

Get some of your comics for 30% off
For every comic you purchase from our 'Bargain Bin' (those priced $1 or less), another comic purchased over $1 will be $30% off (refunded via PayPal). eg. If you purchase 10 'Bargain Bin' books, then 10 books purchased that are each over $1 will recieve this refund, etc.

Free Shipping

Every domestic order of 25 or more comics gets FREE SHIPPING (Media Mail). Though I can't provide Free Shipping on foreign orders, we do offer a $5 refund on postage for purchases of 25 or more comics to foreign countries or a $10 refund if you buy 50 comics (again, foreign orders only).

Shizz
Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2013 7:52:19 PM

I would say pretty close opinion on the grade.

The Wolverine: solid B-

You cringed when they kissed????

I said "Way to go cannuclehead!!!!"
comicuniversity
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2013 1:44:34 PM

Shizz wrote:
I would say pretty close opinion on the grade.

The Wolverine: solid B-

You cringed when they kissed????

I said "Way to go cannuclehead!!!!"

LOL. Fair enough.

comicuniversity
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2013 1:56:33 PM

BLADE TRINITY

REVIEW

THE GOOD:

Ryan Reynolds was funny as Hannibal King. His scenes with blade and especially his scene while he was captured by the vampires near the end was pretty danged funny. I loved his interactions with his ex-vampire lover.

Snipes really does a good job. He plays a great Blade. It might not stand out because Blade is supposed to be an intense, quiet brooding character. But he did a good job of being just that.

Some of the fight scenes were pretty cool. I particularly liked the rescue of blade from the police department fight scene.

The opening scene of the vampires unearthing Drake was very scary.

The reaction of the police at the end when they realize vampires are real was understated, but welcome.

HOLY CRAP! Biel is smoking hot! I felt guilty watching this movie a few times...like I should have the blinds closed. lol.

THE BAD:

Ok. Vampires are supposed to be super strong/fast/agile etc. Then, why can Abigail just beat the crap out of dozens of them without breaking a sweat? I know she knows martial arts, but....her blows should just bounce of them and they should be able to run rings around her.

Also, I know it's real cool for her to listen to an ipod while she fights. But...it's stupid. I mean, wouldn't the music affect a fighters ability to hear and react in a combat situation? I laughed out loud when there was a slow motion action scene of her putting the buds in her ears.

there are numerous scenes with very weird reactions from general citizens. The one that stood out the most was a scene of King, Abigail and blade walking down a city street, fully armed and loaded for bear.....and dozens of people on the street showing absolutely no reaction at all. lol. This happened a lot in this movie.
In another scene Blade and Abigail just show up at one of the vampires most secure facilities (a blood farm). They told a familiar they wanted to meet him...and he does...at the secure facility. lol. And worse, when they go in, kill the familiar and discover the facility...another vampire there, just sits calmly at a computer console right in front of them, unmoving and uncomplaining. And, when they ask that vampire to destroy the facility....SHE DOES, without complaint!!!

Also, the jail escape scene, which (action wise) I liked, made absolutely no sense logicwise. How in the hell does King get past an entire precincts worth of guards fully armed without anyone noticing? I mean, he just appears. lol.

So many of the fights have absolutely no impact because the good guys just wipe out dozens of bad guys easily. it's ludicrous. Like watching an 80's Scwhartzenegger or Stallone movie.

I mean, most of the movie is centered around the fact that Drake, the original vampire, is ultra powerful. And he is being unleashed on the world. But...in his first encounter with Blade, he runs away. And, in his second encounter, Blade basically beat him almost singlehandedly. He just wasn't much of a threat and the movie suffered greatly for it.

CONCLUSION:
D.
BurningDoom
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2013 3:02:01 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

Blade Trinity was definitely the worst of the 3 Blade films. But a "D", wow. I would have given it a C, at least. It wasn't terrible, IMO, just completely average.

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
comicuniversity
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2013 8:53:13 PM

CATWOMAN

REVIEW

The Good:

I liked the music.

I dug (digged?) Catwoman's plucky sidekicks...both the over the top gay guy and the short chunky white chick from MAD TV who "looka likea man". lol. Seriously. They were a good touch.

I enjoyed the whole "catwoman legacy" stuff. Ophelia did a good job of framing the origin.

Benjamin Bratt was a decent cop. In most of these movies the cops are pretty danged useless....but Bratt wasn't and it was kind of refreshing. He was actually competent. The scene wher ehe and berry team up to save the people on the ferris wheel was a particularly good one.

The scene where Halle berry gets "killed" was actually pretty effectively tragic.

The beau-line was a good villain plot point. That the makeup was addictive and destructive. Very relateable story theme.

Some of the scenes of Berry slinking around in her pajama's like a cat were cool.

I liked the scenes where she gets back at the loud neighbors and decides to keep the best stolen jewel for herself.

It was cool when Catwoman used her whip.

The Catwoman--Tom Lone fight in the theater was a pretty darned entertaining fight.

THE BAD:

The CGI was horrible. So bad that it was offputting. And it is used waaayyy too much.

Halle Berry is gorgeous.....but NOT a lead actress. This movie could have been so much better, but it became popcorn fluff because Berry doesn't have the chops.

I usually am not bothered by comic movies deviating from the source material..but this one goes soooooo far from the source that I was bothered.

Catwoman is INSTANTLY an expert on her powers. Not believable.

Sharon Stone is a charicature. Just really bad in this movie.

I didn't really understand why Her personality kept changing.

CONCLUSION:
C+. I liked it depsite myself. There was a lot negative, but at the end, I realize I had basically enjoyed it.

Shizz
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2013 8:10:28 AM

Hypnotized I......I got nothing......