Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
3D Villain Covers Options
KnifeTricks
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 5:04:30 PM

Groups: Forum Admin, Member, Moderator

This weeks 3D covers came in today. The Riddler cover looks especially awesome.

wpmcclure
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 9:02:30 AM

Groups: Member

I still haven't received the second week but so far at least I seem to have been able to buy all of them...excluding the really pricey one. Any ways, so with the success of this...you think Marvel will follow suit and create their own 3D covers? Man it would be totally awesome to see Valiant create 3D variants. Or is this strictly a DC thing?

Thundercron
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 10:38:51 AM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

DC says they're losing money on these? I don't believe that for a second.

Normally, they have accountants and whatnot to make sure they charge enough for their books. Even when they have a special issue, they always make sure to charge more.

Why would DC put forth all the effort into the Villain Month, just to make sure they lose money on it? And it's not an event that lends itself to acquiring new long-term readers for their books, since these are all stand-alone stories. So it's not like they're expecting to make money off the event down the line in new readers to different titles.

Liars.
jhorsley3
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 12:34:17 PM

Shop at My Store

While I agree I don't think they are loosing money, I don't think they are making a wide margin on these either.

Think about it, they didn't raise the price of them over $3.99 for any of them, and they dropped all the standards to $2.99, even on $3.99 titles like Action and Batman and so on.

It's all about the promotion they are getting out of it. They are selling a TON of both covers, there is an impressive amount of BUZZ about them. The 3D Covers look fantastic. I think this is ALL about the promotion of all the DC comics. And I do think they will get new readers out of these on some of their main lines.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see some "Villain centric" monthly titles start after all this is completed. They already announce Harley Quinn. How many people would subscribe to a Joker monthly comic if they released one? I know I would.

Like our facebook page: Th3 Comics
wpmcclure
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 1:52:17 PM

Must be pilot season again! I wonder which of the one-shots will get an opportunity for an ongoing series. I wonder if DC is running out of new story ideas to keep the 52 era moving forward. Leaving that aside, this is a great promotional tactic, I already preordered the 1200 page omnibus! Break out the wallet, here you go DC, $10, $20, $50...

Khaine
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2013 8:53:09 AM
Groups: Member, Subscriber

If they are losing or barely in the black why would they do a second printing? 2/26/2014 is the release date mid town is giving for a second printing of the 3d covers.

If that isn't just a money grab I don't know what is.
wpmcclure
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2013 9:15:47 PM

Oh my god eBay is blowing up with PGX 10.0 graded 3D covers....uh....what? Confused

BurningDoom
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2013 10:00:37 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

My comic shop got shorted on this week's Green Lantern one. He was told he was going to get them replaced next week. I seriously hope I don't end up with the regular cover.

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
wpmcclure
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2013 3:18:18 PM

Oh man, Harley Quinn...you look fabulous! Black Manta looks pretty damn awesome as well. This last week has been hard to get. I wasn't able to get the Joker's Daughter...is that a special incentive cover? Or is this just one of the DC screw-ups?

Inking_Zanziber
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2013 3:40:47 PM

I guess I feel very fortunate that my LCS pulled the 3D covers that I had in my subscription, plus had enough for me to get all the covers I wanted for the first 2 weeks... save Justice League. I got the 2D cover for that, but (being OCD as I am) I will end up getting the 3D cover for my collection.

I also sent him a message yesterday for additional pulls for the remaining weeks, and he's setting me up with what I want.

But I also secretly (not so much at this point) curse DC for pulling such a 90's era campaign like this when I'm trying to save $$ to go to Rose City Comic Con.

John "Zanziber" Rogers - @ZanziberPoV

Zanziber's Point Of View

Khaine
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2013 7:07:53 PM

wpmcclure wrote:
Oh man, Harley Quinn...you look fabulous! Black Manta looks pretty damn awesome as well. This last week has been hard to get. I wasn't able to get the Joker's Daughter...is that a special incentive cover? Or is this just one of the DC screw-ups?

Joker's Daughter is next week.
padreglcc
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2013 2:04:25 PM

Groups: Approver, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, DC Host, Forum Admin, Member, Moderator, New Releases Host, Reviews Host, Subscriber

My favorite thing about these covers? The fun noise I make by running my fingernail across the back cover while reading them!

“One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say.” ~ Bryant H. McGill

Please make sure you read and understand the Forum Rules here.
Thundercron
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2013 2:51:00 PM

Shop at My Store

padreglcc wrote:
My favorite thing about these covers? The fun noise I make by running my fingernail across the back cover while reading them!

Funny. Last week at a local shop one of the box customers swapped out all his 3D copies for standard because he likened the sound to nails on a chalkboard.

All in perspective, I guess.
SwiftMann
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2013 12:39:34 PM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

DC allocates its previously announced allocations.

Quote:
DC ENTERTAINMENT UPDATES ALLOCATIONS ON THREE VILLAINS MONTH 3-D MOTION COVER ISSUES

Retailers, due to a production shortage, DC Entertainment announces an update on allocations to these Villains Month 3-D Motion Cover issues:

BATMAN #23.4: BANE (JUL130188) will ship at approximately 93% of your previous allocation

BATMAN/SUPERMAN #3.1: DOOMSDAY (JUL130184) will ship at approximately 84% of your previous allocation

SUPERMAN #23.4: PARASITE (JUL130183) will ship at approximately 90% of your previous allocation

All three of these issues are scheduled to arrive in stores on September 25.

Has DC Done Something Stupid Today?

"The return of beards and 90's fashion makes hipsters and homeless people impossible to tell apart." - Woody, Quantum & Woody #5
crackerjack1
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2013 2:09:32 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

SwiftMann wrote:
DC allocates its previously announced allocations.

Quote:
DC ENTERTAINMENT UPDATES ALLOCATIONS ON THREE VILLAINS MONTH 3-D MOTION COVER ISSUES

Retailers, due to a production shortage, DC Entertainment announces an update on allocations to these Villains Month 3-D Motion Cover issues:

BATMAN #23.4: BANE (JUL130188) will ship at approximately 93% of your previous allocation

BATMAN/SUPERMAN #3.1: DOOMSDAY (JUL130184) will ship at approximately 84% of your previous allocation

SUPERMAN #23.4: PARASITE (JUL130183) will ship at approximately 90% of your previous allocation

All three of these issues are scheduled to arrive in stores on September 25.

Yet these books were already produced months ago. Hence the original allocations. Something is way off with this.

Whatever, the hard to find ones I keep finding are making me a pretty penny.

Current Pull List

Ongoing Series

All-New Ultimates, All-New X-Men, Amazing Spider-Man, Amazing X-Men, Angel & Faith, Avengers, Avengers World, Batman, Batman Eternal, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Cyclops, Daredevil, Earth 2, East of West, Fantastic Four, Flash, Ghostbusters, Guardians of the Galaxy, Harley Quinn, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, Injustice, Iron Fist, Justice League, Lazarus, Mega Man, Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man, New Avengers, New Warriors, Nova, Rocket Raccoon, Scooby-Doo, Scooby-Doo Team-Up, Sinestro, Superior Foes of Spider-Man, Teen Titans, Teen Titans Go!, TMNT, TMNT New Animated Adventures, Tomb Raider, Ultimate Spider-Man, Uncanny Avengers, Uncanny X-Men, WWE Superstars, X-Men

Mini Series

Danger Girl: Mayday, Figment, Original Sin, Super Secret Crisis War, Superman Unchained, Tiny Titans: Return to the Treehouse, TMNT: Turtles in Time

All Spider-Man and TMNT Appearances and Variants
rook68
Posted: Sunday, September 22, 2013 4:06:48 AM

Picked up my pull list the other day from one of my local comic book shops. It's been a few weeks since I last visited. Very happy with the 3D covers. I especially liked the Green Lantern covers with Relic and Mongul. I also enjoyed the Aquaman cover with Black Manta. Have yet to read these issues. I am waiting until later this week. I did read the Justice League cover of Dial E. Let's just say the whole story was a mess. Not a big fan of multiple artists doing different pages throughout a single issue. Noticing the 3D version is going for some big bucks. Why? It might be a short print run but who cares? The characters, mainly the villains, suck. Horrible.

(referring to an original comic book piece) This is a art gallery my friend and THIS is a piece of art.

Elijah Price "Unbreakable"
played by Samuel L. Jackson

Thundercron
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2013 11:15:10 AM

Shop at My Store

I was talking with someone at the local shop who gave more insight into why these 3D issues are being allocated. Again, this is just what some guy told me:

Said that the print run of the entire DC line of 3D issues was in the neighborhood of 2.5 million copies. That DC was using some company in China to produce them, and that they actually ran out of plastic materials needed to make them (kind of like when DC created a shortage of the materials used to make the black armband when Superman #75 came out). Also, he said the 3D effect was not perfected, and problematic. Seems there was a problem with the cooling process, and many, many copies had to be thrown out and scrapped due to defects.

I'm tending to believe all this, because it makes a lot of question marks I've had make sense. The biggest one being, Why are different issues being allocated in different amounts, particularly different issues of the same title? If it's a problem with the printing process, this would explain it. This would also explain DC's claim that they aren't making any money off this deal. Scrapping possibly hundreds of thousands of comics isn't very profitable.
Xylob
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2013 12:18:09 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

padreglcc wrote:
To quote my wife: "STOP IT!!!! how many more of those damn things are you going to get????"

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
BurningDoom
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2013 1:43:02 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

Xylob wrote:
padreglcc wrote:
To quote my wife: "STOP IT!!!! how many more of those damn things are you going to get????"

lol, the way you talk about your wife around here, she sounds a lot like mine.

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
comicscastle
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2013 1:55:54 PM

Groups: Approver, Approver Steward, CR-Management, Forum Admin, Grade My Book Host, Guru, History Host, Member, Super Seller, Tool

Shop at My Store

My understanding as to the original allocation is that due to extended production time DC had to order these books before they knew how many the stores would be ordering. After the order numbers came in they realized they did not produce enough, thus the allocation notice before the books shipped. Then due to production problems even less books were available and there was a need for further allocation. That's why the largest allocations are on the most popular titles and why some titles had no allocation at all.

The following stores are all stores that I've dealt with or have become friends with through the forums and I highly recommend them all.
Comics Castle-owned & operated by Pat McCauslin
Alpha Comics--ComicVortex--Metropolis Connections 2.0--Comic Cellar