Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Opens Brick and Mortar Store in August: The Thread. Options
freakdylan
Posted: Friday, September 27, 2013 8:26:13 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

CCL is never ever going to be "The Place" everyone comes to for comics. It is very obvious the owners have no clue what they are doing, regardless of any passion they have for comics.

When the owners 1st posted about the store and the future new CCL I asked them what the retention rate was on the software and was told they dont know and it doesnt matter. That should tell you everything! Every software company in the world that does rebills knows how important its retention rate is. It is how you know whats working and what isnt, if people are happy or not.

They claimed "Chase" was a software selling machine, yet when I asked, he said he sells 1 or 2 copies a show. Another great tell! Considering yourself an expert seller and only selling 2 copies is ridiculous.

It is also obvious they have zero skills in marketing this site, which is odd since they own a marketing company.

With those serious inadequacies it is obvious even if they do come out with a brand new CCL it will die off just as this one did due to lack of care and skills needed to run a website. In fact I think it will die much quicker because if they sink thousands of dollars into a new CCL they will expect larger returns. When that doesnt happen I think they will grow bored faster then they did with this version and it will die.

OK now if you are a mod or store owner you might want to skip this part or be offended, lol

I truly think another problem with CCL is the mods and store owners being in a rut or feeling so "used and abused" they no longer care enough to try to make changes themselves to better CCL. I made an argument in another thread about increasing traffic to CCL by using the forum as a form of promotion by having pages indexed on google. The idea was shot down by a few mods as "I wont do that", "I do enough now, and dont have the time" etc etc. Or it was ignored totally when I posted the same idea in another thread in direct reply to a question posed by admins how to increase traffic.

Sites like this will never ever work unless they have lots of free staff. But sadly staff that is ignored or (banned) off, tend to themselves become part of the problem.

Thanks to the following sellers for helping me put together my complete run of Amazing Spider-man #1-700

ComicCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Now for the sellers helping me finish my TMNT collection:

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics

KingZombie
Posted: Friday, September 27, 2013 9:06:40 PM

Groups: Member

comicuniversity wrote:
CCL offers a service. They are very upfront with what that service costs as well as what you will get for that service.

The service was free at one time. They started charging and it hasn't been updated all that much since. So people who subscribe feel like they're getting nothing for their money.

Quote:
Remember, even though the admins were around a lot and very friendly in the beginning doesn't mean they are obligated to act in that way. They are business owners and anyone who buys the software is a client.

While it is nice if you are chummy with a business owner whose product you spend money on....it is certainly not a requirement.

Anyone who has ever ignored a client or didn't remain friendly with them didn't have a business very long. It's just not good business practice.

Quote:
CCL has come through, in spades on their part of the agreement. Any complaining is just....well....not warranted, really.

Again, that opinion seems to be in the minority.
Peacefuldragon
Posted: Friday, September 27, 2013 11:09:31 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Sometimes I feel that CCL can act this way because they lack competition. Where else are you going to sell? Ebay is too fee ridden and atomic avenue is just as dead. Are there any other places like this out there?

If all you have is a hammer, then everything looks like a nail.
teh_longinator
Posted: Friday, September 27, 2013 11:46:49 PM

Peacefuldragon wrote:
Sometimes I feel that CCL can act this way because they lack competition. Where else are you going to sell? Ebay is too fee ridden and atomic avenue is just as dead. Are there any other places like this out there?

Design your own site. For a minimal fee, you can have your own domain set up for cheap, and that way, you pay ZERO fees and ZERO monthly charges... Is it a bit more work? Yes. But, you keep a much larger sum of your sales, and everything that happens - good and bad - is up to you... Not a flawed system of free-working people.

Cave Comics
I buy comics so that I can sell comics, to buy more comics.

Check out my eBay listings at http://www.ebay.ca/sch/tehlonginator/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
CrossbowComics
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2013 1:20:30 AM

Shop at My Store

The decline started with the annual fee, something they probably needed to do to survive. Some subscribers stuck around but the adware you paid for along with the lack up updates has whittled us down to the current core group.

The subscriber base is probably pretty small at this point, it would almost make sense to make CCL free again. CCL's bread & butter is not the software anymore, it's the 5% fee they collect on each sale, they should fling the gates open & let everyone in.

I'll be passing through TN probably Thursday, a trip to the mothership is on the itinerary. Think they serve coffee & donuts?

COMING SOON - TreehouseComicShop.com
also top rated on Ebay as ideaman33

Xylob
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2013 7:47:51 AM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

Ask them to show what they're working on these days.

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
comicscastle
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2013 8:08:52 AM

Groups: Approver, Approver Steward, CR-Management, Forum Admin, Grade My Book Host, Guru, History Host, Member, Super Seller, Tool

Shop at My Store

Xylob wrote:
Ask them to show what they're working on these days.
Ask them if they ever heard of a web site called Comic Collector Live.

The following stores are all stores that I've dealt with or have become friends with through the forums and I highly recommend them all.
Comics Castle-owned & operated by Pat McCauslin
Alpha Comics--ComicVortex--Metropolis Connections 2.0--Comic Cellar

Flagwaver
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2013 8:44:56 AM

According to the homepage, there are 93,172 members. I am interested to know what the real number is. After all, that is just the number of people who have signed up for a name, not how many people actually use the site/software regularly. Someone signs up for a name to check the site out and test the software, might even make a purchase or two and then disappears forever, never to return and not purchase the full software. They should do a purge of all the non-used accounts, say ones that have been inactive for a year or more, and we would get a more accurate idea of just how popular CCL is. Of course, 93,000 looks a lot better than 30,000, so they won't do that.
SwiftMann
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2013 9:53:32 AM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Flagwaver wrote:
According to the homepage, there are 93,172 members. I am interested to know what the real number is. After all, that is just the number of people who have signed up for a name, not how many people actually use the site/software regularly. Someone signs up for a name to check the site out and test the software, might even make a purchase or two and then disappears forever, never to return and not purchase the full software. They should do a purge of all the non-used accounts, say ones that have been inactive for a year or more, and we would get a more accurate idea of just how popular CCL is. Of course, 93,000 looks a lot better than 30,000, so they won't do that.

Don't forget spambots. I have a closed message board for friends that gets 100s of spambot new user requests a week. I can't imagine what a completely open forum like this one pulls in.

Plus a huge portion of that member number was here in 2007. I think the real number is in the hundreds. Maybe 1,000.

Has DC Done Something Stupid Today?

"The return of beards and 90's fashion makes hipsters and homeless people impossible to tell apart." - Woody, Quantum & Woody #5
Xylob
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2013 10:46:07 AM

SwiftMann wrote:
...I think the real number is in the hundreds. Maybe 1,000.
I think you're being very generous.

Problems with CCL?
615-264-4747
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

Atilla2k
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2013 4:00:04 PM

CrossbowComics wrote:
The decline started with the annual fee, something they probably needed to do to survive. Some subscribers stuck around but the adware you paid for along with the lack up updates has whittled us down to the current core group.

The subscriber base is probably pretty small at this point, it would almost make sense to make CCL free again. CCL's bread & butter is not the software anymore, it's the 5% fee they collect on each sale, they should fling the gates open & let everyone in.

I'll be passing through TN probably Thursday, a trip to the mothership is on the itinerary. Think they serve coffee & donuts?

Amen brotha,that's how they lured us all in to begin with. Although I doubt GoLoco will relent and free the good people of the yoke of annual fees.

comicscastle wrote:
Ask them if they ever heard of a web site called Comic Collector Live.

Rolling on the Floor

Look I'm in a crowded theatre yelling... "Fire,Fire!" (playfull jab at ccl management who won't ever read this post!)Whistle

teh_longinator
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2013 4:18:55 PM

I'm enjoying all these people saying that no one has a right to complain about the lack of communication, and really, lack of service that we are receiving on this site. Sure, they own the site, and they can do what they wish. That is a fair statement. But let's put this another way.

You go to a restaurant, and order yourselves a nice meal. When you get it, your chicken has a bunch of pubes in it, and your soup clearly tastes like someone took a leak in it. Can you complain? By all means, yes. However, you look at the menu, and nowhere does it state that your food WON'T contain pubes and piss. It's their restaurant, and they can serve you what they'd like.

Cave Comics
I buy comics so that I can sell comics, to buy more comics.

Check out my eBay listings at http://www.ebay.ca/sch/tehlonginator/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
Reggie
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2013 4:54:22 PM

comicuniversity wrote:
I have read every word here and feel like putting my two cents in.

And, i'll keep it as short and sweet as possible.

CCL offers a service. They are very upfront with what that service costs as well as what you will get for that service.

They may not make as much money as they would were they to do more frequent updates and check in every now and then....but that is their prerogative entirely.

Remember, even though the admins were around a lot and very friendly in the beginning doesn't mean they are obligated to act in that way. They are business owners and anyone who buys the software is a client.

While it is nice if you are chummy with a business owner whose product you spend money on....it is certainly not a requirement.

CCL has come through, in spades on their part of the agreement. Any complaining is just....well....not warranted, really.

Bottom line. If you do not like CCL's business practices, it would behoove you to use other software or take your sales/purchases elsewhere.
I know many already have (including me...I never subscribed, and I closed my store long ago, and have even waaayy cut back the amount of my comic discretionary money that I spend on this site). If the site stops making enough of a profit...I imagine the owners will finally put their money back into it again.

I mean, believing that the owners of CCL owe you something extra is just...well...wrongheaded. They have already provided what they owe you.

One thing I don't think you are aware of is the fact that the posters on here voicing their opinions are the ones adding all the comics to the database for YOU to use and access. They do this on their own time and for free but then we have to turn around and pay for the yearly subscription. So say these people stop doing this, then what? CCL would crumble. So THAT is why I think they are due some insight and respect. Period.

comicuniversity
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2013 6:17:03 PM
Groups: Member, Moderator

Reggie wrote:
comicuniversity wrote:

They may not make as much money as they would were they to do more frequent updates and check in every now and then....but that is their prerogative entirely.

Bottom line. If you do not like CCL's business practices, it would behoove you to use other software or take your sales/purchases elsewhere.
I know many already have (including me...I never subscribed, and I closed my store long ago, and have even waaayy cut back the amount of my comic discretionary money that I spend on this site). If the site stops making enough of a profit...I imagine the owners will finally put their money back into it again.

I mean, believing that the owners of CCL owe you something extra is just...well...wrongheaded. They have already provided what they owe you.

One thing I don't think you are aware of is the fact that the posters on here voicing their opinions are the ones adding all the comics to the database for YOU to use and access. They do this on their own time and for free but then we have to turn around and pay for the yearly subscription. So say these people stop doing this, then what? CCL would crumble. So THAT is why I think they are due some insight and respect. Period.

Reggie....you are missing my most important point.

Leave. Stop doing things for CCL.

I fully agree that there are dozens (at least) of people who have helped make CCL a great place. I mean, the mods, people who do change requests, the people who add stock to the library, the stores that offer great service, the buyers who fork over hard earned cash. heck, even the people who do nothing but post the occasional thought all help make CCL great. And, I sincerely applaud them all for it.

All I'm saying is that CCls owners don't owe you anything more than they agreed to up front.

While I agree it would be nice. I agree that they would engender more loyalty if they did. Just saying they don't owe it.

For my part....I keep an exhaustive and super nerdy personal database at home (it's ridiculous, really) A few months ago I toyed with the idea of beginning to spend time adding much of the information in my database to CCLs. In the end I decided not to. Now, I would get some personal satisfaction out of adding to the collective store of knowledge, but the time taken away from my other responsibilities (not to mention my family) made me decide it wasn't worth it. If The CCL owners had engendered some more loyalty by putting more into this site themselves perhaps I would have chosen differently. In fact, I can almost guarantee it.

The only reason I told that story is to say....I agree with your frustration. In fact, I share it. However, we don't really have a right to hang anything on CCL's owners. They held up their end of the bargain. It's us that kinda "dreamed of a better place that was never promised to us" for lack of a better phrase. lol.
Khaine
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2013 6:23:11 PM

Not to put a bug in the sellers ears or anything but, I do keep business cards when provided in my orders.... Whistle
comicscastle
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2013 7:32:39 PM

Groups: Approver, Approver Steward, CR-Management, Forum Admin, Grade My Book Host, Guru, History Host, Member, Super Seller, Tool

Shop at My Store

Just a thought that was bouncing around in my empty head. If all the Approvers quit approving and adding new books to the database and if no one told CCL that nothing was being added, how long would it take before management found out on their own? Just a thought, not a threat and not something that I foresee happening.

The following stores are all stores that I've dealt with or have become friends with through the forums and I highly recommend them all.
Comics Castle-owned & operated by Pat McCauslin
Alpha Comics--ComicVortex--Metropolis Connections 2.0--Comic Cellar

Xylob
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2013 8:13:04 PM

It would take two weeks before paying subscribers started to contact them.
It would take at least another two weeks before they realized people were trying to contact them.
comicscastle wrote:
...if no one told CCL that nothing was being added...
Since they don't even use their own product... 5 years?

Problems with CCL?
615-264-4747

Xylob's Most Wanted:

canaryfarmer
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2013 11:57:22 PM

comicscastle wrote:
Just a thought that was bouncing around in my empty head. If all the Approvers quit approving and adding new books to the database and if no one told CCL that nothing was being added, how long would it take before management found out on their own? Just a thought, not a threat and not something that I foresee happening.

Quick question: how many actual active approvers are there currently?

yourplace2 wrote:
First of all, forgive me, but I did not go back and read all the pages of this thread. Too many.

Well, you should have, because you completely whiffed on the reasons people were actually kind of upset.

Can someone explain how it was said that the CCL store would not be selling "products that are already listed for sale on CCL", but on the facebook page, it shows them selling "1st print DC 3D Villains Covers for only $5 each". Was not one store selling those here?
Thundercron
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2013 12:20:35 AM

Shop at My Store

canaryfarmer wrote:
comicscastle wrote:

Quick question: how many actual active approvers are there currently?

yourplace2 wrote:
First of all, forgive me, but I did not go back and read all the pages of this thread. Too many.

Well, you should have, because you completely whiffed on the reasons people were actually kind of upset.

Can someone explain how it was said that the CCL store would not be selling "products that are already listed for sale on CCL", but on the facebook page, it shows them selling "1st print DC 3D Villains Covers for only $5 each". Was not one store selling those here?

I think Steve meant that the CCL B & M store wouldn't compete with CCL stores by not having thier inventory for sale on the CCL website.
KingZombie
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2013 4:42:51 AM

comicuniversity wrote:
Reggie wrote:
comicuniversity wrote:

Reggie....you are missing my most important point.

Leave. Stop doing things for CCL.

I fully agree that there are dozens (at least) of people who have helped make CCL a great place. I mean, the mods, people who do change requests, the people who add stock to the library, the stores that offer great service, the buyers who fork over hard earned cash. heck, even the people who do nothing but post the occasional thought all help make CCL great. And, I sincerely applaud them all for it.

All I'm saying is that CCls owners don't owe you anything more than they agreed to up front.

While I agree it would be nice. I agree that they would engender more loyalty if they did. Just saying they don't owe it.

For my part....I keep an exhaustive and super nerdy personal database at home (it's ridiculous, really) A few months ago I toyed with the idea of beginning to spend time adding much of the information in my database to CCLs. In the end I decided not to. Now, I would get some personal satisfaction out of adding to the collective store of knowledge, but the time taken away from my other responsibilities (not to mention my family) made me decide it wasn't worth it. If The CCL owners had engendered some more loyalty by putting more into this site themselves perhaps I would have chosen differently. In fact, I can almost guarantee it.

The only reason I told that story is to say....I agree with your frustration. In fact, I share it. However, we don't really have a right to hang anything on CCL's owners. They held up their end of the bargain. It's us that kinda "dreamed of a better place that was never promised to us" for lack of a better phrase. lol.

If I may speak for Reggie, I think he understands your point. He just chooses not to agree with it. Just as pretty much everyone else.