Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Infinity Options
wpmcclure
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2013 11:57:12 PM
Groups: Member

Been reading the Infinity event and man it has been a blast to read. All of the recent past events have sucked or haven't fulfilled my craving for a well thought out event. Now it could just be me that's enjoying this event but I've been on board with the Avengers ever since Marvel NOW started and so far I feel like this one is at the top of the A List.

However I think I need to go back to the beginning where the earth was seeded by Ex Nihilo because I'm not sure if i have missed something important here. not sure why Abyss is so important or being the only one of her kind left since the builders have taking away from the gardeners the ability to seed planets thousands of years ago. In fact at the time i was reading this i didn't realize that Aleph was a builder.

Any ways, I'm unclear on why the builders are hell bent on destroying earth. Always a superior race threatening the earth's survival. There are so many pieces in play that make little sense now but I'm sure everything will come together. If anyone can explain the why the builders are involved that would be great. I think it may have something to do with the time stream but again, i think i need start with issue 1 of the Avengers and just go at it again.

At least they are releasing the Infinity Omnibus in February 2014 and the Infinity Companion Omnibus April 2014, says Amazon.com.

BurningDoom
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2013 12:56:58 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

I'm of the complete opposite opinion. It's an over-complicated mess of a story that feels like it was written by Morrison.

"Battle of the Atom" in the X-books has been a faaaarrrr better and more interesting "event" in my opinion. And I'm not even a big X-fan (yet in the past, I've always been a big Avengers fans).

On the other hand, I agree with your assessment of the last few "events". At least Fear Itself. That was awful.

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
Thundercron
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2013 11:24:26 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

I haven't read any of it, but I like how the beginning of each installment showcases who the cast of characters is in each issue. I was excited to see the Spaceknights in Infinity #1, but, once again it's just a tease on Marvel's part. Like the Spaceknight armor in the Age of Ultron FCBD preview. Or the reprinting of the Spaceknights Limited Series for no good reason last year. All teases.
Shizz
Posted: Sunday, October 06, 2013 7:34:59 AM

Thundercron wrote:
I haven't read any of it, but I like how the beginning of each installment showcases who the cast of characters is in each issue. I was excited to see the Spaceknights in Infinity #1, but, once again it's just a tease on Marvel's part. Like the Spaceknight armor in the Age of Ultron FCBD preview. Or the reprinting of the Spaceknights Limited Series for no good reason last year. All teases.

Yes, I was so happy then so disappointed when I flipped through the pages.
inhumanking
Posted: Sunday, October 06, 2013 2:16:42 PM

i'm loving it. it's difficult to explain why without sounding like an ad for real estate on Jonathan Hickman's nutsack, but the man is a storyteller. Applause
DaLeah96
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2013 12:59:55 AM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, New Releases Host, Reviews Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Confused Sick

Check out our current Sale

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here.
SwiftMann
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2013 10:43:00 AM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

I read the FCBD preview issue and just shook my head at another rambling Hickman story. I get that some folks enjoy his ride, but, man, he bores me to tears and never goes anywhere. How many issues of Fantastic Four did he write? So many filled with a million nuggets and teases and nothing really coming of it. Same with his SHIELD book.

It's all great big ideas, but I've yet to like his execution.

And I love the Inhumans, so I'm bummed to be so disinterested, although I do plan to give Inhumanity a shot.

Has DC Done Something Stupid Today?

"The return of beards and 90's fashion makes hipsters and homeless people impossible to tell apart." - Woody, Quantum & Woody #5
BurningDoom
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2013 11:50:22 AM

It should be freaking awesome, it's The Avengers vs. Thanos for crying out loud!

But instead, Hickman manages to turn a simple, and epic battle into something that is an overly-complicated mess that rivals the ill-logic of Morrison's Final Crisis.

I really hope it all comes together and makes sense in the end, because I already have it pre-ordered.

inhumanking
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2013 2:03:36 PM

SwiftMann wrote:
I read the FCBD preview issue and just shook my head at another rambling Hickman story. I get that some folks enjoy his ride, but, man, he bores me to tears and never goes anywhere. How many issues of Fantastic Four did he write? So many filled with a million nuggets and teases and nothing really coming of it. Same with his SHIELD book.

It's all great big ideas, but I've yet to like his execution.

And I love the Inhumans, so I'm bummed to be so disinterested, although I do plan to give Inhumanity a shot.

i definitely enjoy his stuff. i love 99% of his image stuff, and Infinity hasn't disappointed. i like the 'great big ideas' approach, and execution too. i've yet to read his Fantastic Four/FF/SHIELD stuff, but i plan on it. i hear more positive than negative.

i love the Inhumans too, and i'm digging how he's handling them so far.

BurningDoom wrote:
It should be freaking awesome, it's The Avengers vs. Thanos for crying out loud!

But instead, Hickman manages to turn a simple, and epic battle into something that is an overly-complicated mess that rivals the ill-logic of Morrison's Final Crisis.

I really hope it all comes together and makes sense in the end, because I already have it pre-ordered.

i'm not sure i'd prefer a battle between the Avengers & Thanos to be simple... but definitely epic. complicated, yes... that's what you get with Hickman.

did anybody who's NOT enjoying Infinity like Age of Ultron? i didn't gamble on that one, but i'm curious to hear a comparison...

SwiftMann
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2013 2:14:36 PM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

inhumanking wrote:
i love 99% of his image stuff

I've only ever read his Fantastic Four/FF stuff and SHIELD. I do have the $1 version of Manhattan Projects #1 to read. I have to wonder if the self-contained, limited series nature of most of the Image stuff serves him better - forcing Hickman to focus.

Quote:
did anybody who's NOT enjoying Infinity like Age of Ultron? i didn't gamble on that one, but i'm curious to hear a comparison...

The vibe I get is that, like Fear Itself before it, no one liked Age of Ultron.

Has DC Done Something Stupid Today?

"The return of beards and 90's fashion makes hipsters and homeless people impossible to tell apart." - Woody, Quantum & Woody #5
inhumanking
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2013 2:46:59 PM

SwiftMann wrote:
inhumanking wrote:
i love 99% of his image stuff

I've only ever read his Fantastic Four/FF stuff and SHIELD. I do have the $1 version of Manhattan Projects #1 to read. I have to wonder if the self-contained, limited series nature of most of the Image stuff serves him better - forcing Hickman to focus.

that's possible... 'Manhattan Projects' is an ongoing and it's great. you should give his Image stuff a try... 'Pax Romana', 'Nightly News', 'Red Wing', 'Red Mass for Mars'... and i'm really digging 'East of West' and 'God is Dead' as well. he has my attention, and his approach seems fresh. although based on most reactions on these boards, his is an acquired taste.

SwiftMann wrote:
inhumanking wrote:

The vibe I get is that, like Fear Itself before it, no one liked Age of Ultron.

ah, i didn't try 'Fear Itself' either.

BurningDoom
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2013 5:35:05 PM

I liked of Age of Ultron, it was a great litle time-travel story.

What I didn't like, was what the story created in the end. It's just too convenient for writers to blame changes on "time breaking", much like Superboy-Prime's punch to reality's walls in Infinite Crisis.

inhumanking wrote:
BurningDoom wrote:

i'm not sure i'd prefer a battle between the Avengers & Thanos to be simple... but definitely epic. complicated, yes... that's what you get with Hickman.

Well, not as simple as stopping a bank-robbery, sure, but more simple than what's been presented to us, at least.

The original Captain Marvel & Avengers vs. Thanos story and Infinity Gauntlet weren't this hard to follow, and were fantastic stories.

inhumanking
Posted: Tuesday, October 08, 2013 7:12:17 AM

inhumanking wrote:
BurningDoom wrote:

BurningDoom wrote:
Well, not as simple as stopping a bank-robbery, sure, but more simple than what's been presented to us, at least.

The original Captain Marvel & Avengers vs. Thanos story and Infinity Gauntlet weren't this hard to follow, and were fantastic stories.

i get what you mean, i haven't read those earlier stories in years. i need to revisit them, probably in trades.

i welcome the "complicated" storytelling approach to comics... it's akin to watching 'Inception' or 'Donnie Darko', and a lot of fun on subsequent readings. it probably helps, like wpmcclure said, that i've been reading Hickman's 'Avengers' & 'New Avengers' from the beginning.

wpmcclure wrote:
...I'm not sure if i have missed something important here. not sure why Abyss is so important or being the only one of her kind left since the builders have taking away from the gardeners the ability to seed planets thousands of years ago... ...I'm unclear on why the builders are hell bent on destroying earth.

i feel like the significance of Abyss hasn't been fully revealed yet, as well as the Builders' motive. i'm getting the vibe that it's got to do with the reason Thanos is coming to earth (i'm avoiding that spoiler here).

vinceclortho
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2013 1:17:14 PM

I'm in the Hickman camp, too, though I haven't read his Fantastic Four run. The FF family just hasn't ever been my cup of tea.

I hadn't seen it mentioned, but Hickman's run on Secret Warriors a few years back was really good. It spun out of Secret Invasion, but had little to do with it, just good 'ol fashioned Nick Fury super-spy stuff.

I really wish he would finish his second S.H.I.E.L.D. arc.

If your new to the Marvel War of Heroes app enter referral code muv861982 for a cool in-game card and reward.

Check out my Sporcle quiz! X-Men Past and Present

BurningDoom
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2013 1:43:32 PM

I've got nothing against Hickman, otherwise. Ultimate 1 & 2 were excellent.

I just don't like this particular, overly-complicated to the point of annoyance, story.

rook68
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2013 11:05:52 PM

Just read issue #4. I am in.

(referring to an original comic book piece) This is a art gallery my friend and THIS is a piece of art.

Elijah Price "Unbreakable"
played by Samuel L. Jackson

fenix1977
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2013 11:37:46 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

Not reading it. I dropped all the Avengers books (except Uncanny) because I just couldn't stay interested.

Mad Bloggings

BurningDoom
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2013 6:08:46 PM

Man, this story sucked so bad. I kept waiting for the pay-off that all the Hickman fans kept telling us was coming, it never did.

The entire story just seemed to jump from the middle of one thing, to the middle of another, and then another. And the backbone of the entire story was really weak, too. Thanos just wanted to kill his kid? That was the point of it all?

And is it just me, or did that ending seem familiar? Does anyone else remember the late 70s, the first time Thanos was "defeated for good"? Wasn't he made into a statue then, too?

Also, where did all of Thanos power go? His army of pirates was how he started out in the 70s. Then he moved on to having control over an Infinity Gem, then gaining the power of a Cosmic Cube, then the power of the Infinity Gauntlet, and finally the power of all creation in Marvel Universe: The End. Now he's done playing with cosmic powers and is content just leading an army of misfits again? It just doesn't seem believable at all for his character.

Also, did they EVER explain how he escaped the Cancerverse?

Marvel is losing me. First Fear Itself, then Marvel Now, now it's Infinity, and Inhumanity is doing nothing to inspire hope in Marvel for me, either.

At least we still have Superior Spider-Man. And Cataclysm (in the Ultimate Universe) has been a much more enjoyable "event" than Infinity ever was.

fenix1977
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2013 11:38:14 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

I am saving $ by not reading it Rolling on the Floor

Mad Bloggings

Thundercron
Posted: Tuesday, December 03, 2013 2:10:03 AM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

BurningDoom wrote:

Marvel is losing me. First Fear Itself, then Marvel Now, now it's Infinity, and Inhumanity is doing nothing to inspire hope in Marvel for me, either.

Let's not forget Age of Ultron!