Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Any good finds at yard sales or flea markets? Options
Rex_Kramer
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 10:16:35 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

I have a buddy at work who isn't so much into collecting comics as he is an antiques collector. He's really only into Captain America or any "old" book but that's about it. With some of the stuff he's found for me over the years, I'm thinking I might try my luck one of these weekends.
BruceReville
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 10:33:02 PM

Groups: Member

Not an older book but a rare newer book "The Ultraverse Secrets Marvel Doesn't Want You To Know" found at a flea market for a buck. This book is a (banned) to find, but now my Ultraverse collection is 94% complete

Just When You Thought It Was Safe To Collect Again --- VARIANTS STRIKE!

Rex_Kramer
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2013 1:09:21 AM

BruceReville wrote:
Not an older book but a rare newer book "The Ultraverse Secrets Marvel Doesn't Want You To Know" found at a flea market for a buck. This book is a (banned) to find, but now my Ultraverse collection is 94% complete

Nice! lol...description of that title ends in VERY RARE.

The guy I mentioned in the initial post is half of the reason I got back into comic collecting. He would come to work and casually drop stuff like a VF copy of Star Wars #1 on my desk. I don't even bother asking where he finds them anymore because the answer is always either garage sale or flea market.
redartz60
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2013 12:20:36 PM

My wife and I love hitting flea markets and yard sales; makes for good together time in the fresh air. I've picked up many books (actually, a fair percentage of my collection) from such sources. Perhaps the luckiest find was a very nice Amazing Spider-Man 300 in a pile of 80's books for 50 cents. Another time I purchased a small bag of dusty old comics for 8.00. Many of the books were rough, but did include a nice Sugar and Spike 19 and Batman 117; they certainly justified the purchase...
jbeeman85
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2013 1:55:24 PM

The thing I hate about the flea market is that the comuic dealers that frequent the one I go to have no organization to their comics. I mentioned my annoyance with that practice in a separate thread. I don't have the patience to dig through a dirty booth with comics randomly crammed in boxes. Even the guy that prices his books based more on the "value" without accounting for condition doesn't even have his books in order. I guess I will just leave those hidden gems to some lucky, dedicated person that goes by those booths later in the day.
BurningDoom
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2013 2:00:14 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

jbeeman85 wrote:
The thing I hate about the flea market is that the comuic dealers that frequent the one I go to have no organization to their comics. I mentioned my annoyance with that practice in a separate thread. I don't have the patience to dig through a dirty booth with comics randomly crammed in boxes. Even the guy that prices his books based more on the "value" without accounting for condition doesn't even have his books in order. I guess I will just leave those hidden gems to some lucky, dedicated person that goes by those booths later in the day.

They do that at my flea market too. If I'm in the mood, I'll dig through them. But not always. Especially since the great majority of it is throw-away 90s common issues.

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
BruceReville
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2013 2:51:43 PM

BurningDoom wrote:
jbeeman85 wrote:

They do that at my flea market too. If I'm in the mood, I'll dig through them. But not always. Especially since the great majority of it is throw-away 90s common issues.

I love digging through 90's throw-away commons - never know when you might find a Bloodshot 0 Platinum Error Daydreaming

Just When You Thought It Was Safe To Collect Again --- VARIANTS STRIKE!

Kreyalis
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2013 6:19:12 PM

I have a Tri-City garage sale here tomorrow so here to finding at least something. Only found a few trades last year when I went.
comicscastle
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2013 7:01:33 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

I was once working at a local comic show on a Saturday. A young kid about 16 years old came in with a paper grocery bag full of comics that he had just bought at a yard sale for $10. I found that out after I bought the books for $1000. Of course what he paid would have made no difference to me as to my buying price. Some of the books that I can remember were Fantastic Four 1, 3 & 9, Tales to Astonish 27 (1st Antman), Aquaman 1, Brave & Bold 29 (2nd Justice League), several of the earliest issues of Little Lulu including her 1st appearance in Four Color 74 and All Star Comics 57 (final Golden Age issue). The FF 1 sold for $1200 and the entire bag priced out at just over $4000. Not a bad yard sale find for $10.

The following stores are all stores that I've dealt with or have become friends with through the forums and I highly recommend them all.
Comics Castle-owned & operated by Pat McCauslin
Alpha Comics--ComicVortex--Comic Cellar

KingZombie
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2013 10:22:29 PM

I found Marvel Spotlight #5 at not one but two different yard sales. Neither was in the best condition but they are worth way more than the 50 cents I paid for each. Big Grin
Thundercron
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2013 11:18:06 PM

Shop at My Store

comicscastle wrote:
I was once working at a local comic show on a Saturday. A young kid about 16 years old came in with a paper grocery bag full of comics that he had just bought at a yard sale for $10. I found that out after I bought the books for $1000. Of course what he paid would have made no difference to me as to my buying price. Some of the books that I can remember were Fantastic Four 1, 3 & 9, Tales to Astonish 27 (1st Antman), Aquaman 1, Brave & Bold 29 (2nd Justice League), several of the earliest issues of Little Lulu including her 1st appearance in Four Color 74 and All Star Comics 57 (final Golden Age issue). The FF 1 sold for $1200 and the entire bag priced out at just over $4000. Not a bad yard sale find for $10.

Okay, we know you've been in the business for a while. So to put it in perspective....when did this happen?

comicscastle
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2013 11:54:16 PM

Shop at My Store

Thundercron wrote:
comicscastle wrote:

Okay, we know you've been in the business for a while. So to put it in perspective....when did this happen?

1993. It was just prior to my first wife running off with her two boy friends and my son and I going to the San Diego Con. That's where I sold the FF 1 to help pay off the trip.

The following stores are all stores that I've dealt with or have become friends with through the forums and I highly recommend them all.

Kreyalis
Posted: Saturday, October 05, 2013 1:25:46 PM

Only found 3 things today which was Batman 661(Feb 2007) Batman 662(March 2007) and Batman:Hush not bad for only costing me $0.30 total at least i'd say
MoonKnight1
Posted: Saturday, October 05, 2013 1:51:20 PM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Kreyalis wrote:
Only found 3 things today which was Batman 661(Feb 2007) Batman 662(March 2007) and Batman:Hush not bad for only costing me $0.30 total at least i'd say

A dime each! Wow!Applause

Fantastic News! Hall of Heroes has now surpassed 600 Hero Ratings! I couldn't have done it without all of you and I will strive to maintain and improve my high standards. Which brings me to my next announcement - starting now, all shipments will come with tracking at no extra charge to you! I'm a little late to the party but as they say - better late than never. You spoke and I heard you loud and clear. Excelsior!

Hall Liquidations

Kreyalis
Posted: Saturday, October 05, 2013 6:28:23 PM

Really glad i decided to wait on buying the Batman:hush book when I was at the store the other day now too saved myself 20 bucks just about
Rex_Kramer
Posted: Saturday, October 05, 2013 11:42:29 PM

redartz60 wrote:
My wife and I love hitting flea markets and yard sales; makes for good together time in the fresh air.

I think we'll be doing this with the baby sometime in the near future.
kisstour03
Posted: Sunday, October 06, 2013 6:25:41 PM

Good finds? First I'd need to find a good yard sale of flea market. Yard sales here consist of old pots and pans and broken exercise bikes. And the flea market is mostly food sellers (which isn't bad). You guys are lucky.
Rex_Kramer
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2013 12:20:14 AM

kisstour03 wrote:
Good finds? First I'd need to find a good yard sale of flea market. Yard sales here consist of old pots and pans and broken exercise bikes. And the flea market is mostly food sellers (which isn't bad). You guys are lucky.

Sometimes it's in who you know. Both of my good friends at work are comic connections for me. One finds stuff at flea markets and garage sales (it's been his hobby for many, many years now) and the other has a cousin who buys storage lockers for a living. If I didn't know either one of these guys, I may not have even gotten back into comics.

Storage locker guy actually came through once so far when he bought two lockers belonging to a shuttered comic shop. Mostly 90's stuff, but I was allowed to come in and cherry pick through 1,500 or so books before he took them to the flea market. I didn't walk away with anything amazing, but to get around 120 decent books for $85 was a blessing in my mind.

And I distinctly recall some Bloodshot as I was sorting through the piles, lol. I looked at but ignored most of the alt books. D'oh
freakdylan
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2013 8:24:37 AM

When I was about 12 I found a Incredible Hulk #1 from 1962 in about FINE condition. I knew it was worth money because it was old and nothing else. I was dead broke so haggled with the kid who had it and also knew nothing about it. Ended up trading it for a few D&D manuals.

Sadly since I knew nothing about its true value and my local comic shop was run by a crook only got $75 in store credit. I thought I made out like bandit so guess all good but wish I could call a mulligan on that trade, but I bet the kid I got it from does too, lol.

Thanks to the following sellers for helping me put together my complete run of Amazing Spider-man #1-700

ComicsCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Now for the sellers helping me finish my TMNT collection:

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics

comicscastle
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2013 9:49:02 AM

Shop at My Store

freakdylan wrote:
When I was about 12 I found a Incredible Hulk #1 from 1962
When I was 12 it was new on the stand and in mint condition.