Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Why are Comic collectors Stereotyped? Options
Jshock80
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2013 6:56:29 AM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

Well Said my man I am glad I started this thread because it was really awesome the replys thanks everybody for your opinion it has been very enlightening to say the least
DaLeah96
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2013 11:36:03 PM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, New Releases Host, Reviews Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Fortunately I live across the Ohio river from Metropolis, IL (Home of Superman). And while I'm sure many people still see the stereotype the majority of people I interact with don't. With the annual Superman Celebration a major attaction in June as well as the Superman Statue in front of the courthouse comic related things tend to be if not the norm at least nothing unusual.

As a matter of fact I was at my grandson's basketball practice saturday and ended up in a conversation with one of the high school teachers about his collection (among other things he has an Amazing Fantasy #15).

Check out our current Sale

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here.
rook68
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2013 1:30:29 AM

Groups: Member

I just wanted to revisit this post and add my thoughts to the whole negative stereotyping of comic book collectors. I for one have collected comic books 35 plus years. Wow, it amazes me that I have been in the hobby for that long. For many, many years I was a closet collector. I was actively collecting but never really told anyone even my very close friends.
Not that I am ashamed of being a collector. I just didn't want anyone to spoil the hobby that I love. It's something I hold very personal. Something I don't think everyone understands in my opinion.
I mean. I have seen the stereotypical comic book collector at conventions and in comic book stores. Even though we enjoy the same medium. We are just different people but that's okay. That's what makes the hobby so cool. There is something for everybody and room for everyone.
These days with the help of movies. Comic books has grown in popularity. Even making it more appealing to the general population. What was once "nerdy" is now "cool". But for the ones who have always collected. We already knew it was cool.

(referring to an original comic book piece) This is a art gallery my friend and THIS is a piece of art.

Elijah Price "Unbreakable"
played by Samuel L. Jackson

puckstopper27
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2013 8:38:53 AM

I have found that it is some what of a negative stereotype. I would class myself as a geek, and im happy to call myself a geek. When I first told my gfs family or speak to people about it I normally get called a geek or big bang theory.

I think that although some movies are making comics 'cool' some just enforce the 'nerd/geek' stereotype
marvelmaniac6169
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2013 8:37:45 PM

Big Bang Theory did not help the cause of Comic/Sci-Fi collectors being thought of as "Nerdy" but it brought collecting into the national spotlight.

I only collect books from 1975-back and my Son has the newer books(into the 90's)and I tell everyone my bedroom looks like a toy store.
I also admit I am like Sheldon Cooper with a base of useless knowledge,one sided opinions and some OCD which I passed on to my Son and I am proud of it.

When people look at me funny about my collecting for the last 35 years I speak to them in a language they understand...money.
I tell them about back issues that sold at auction like Action Comics #1 for $2,161,000 and other issues that have sold for $50,000 +.
Once I mention what my books/collectibles are insured for they look at the whole thing in a different light.

I am also proud to say and tell people 3 of my 6 Grandchildren(the three 4 year olds) Love Superheroes(Batman, Superman, Wolverine, Hulk, Thor,)and know the difference between a collectible and a toy(you play with toys) so they are growing up the same way.

MoonKnight1
Posted: Friday, January 17, 2014 10:12:00 AM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

You know, it's funny how that stereotype persists. I guess we're stuck with it.

I can say that I have a good customer here (I'm sure some of the other Sellers know who I am referring to) whose address is Harvard University.

I have sold comics to someone at MIT as well.

Sure, some comics are for kids and there are a large number of "fanboy" titles designed for the lowest common denominator but comic books as a whole are much more sophisticated than the average non-comic reader might suspect.

Hey, anything to get people to read is fine with me. I expanded my vocabulary substantially through reading comics as a kid. You practically had to have a dictionary handy to decipher some of the things that Hank McCoy (the Beast) spouted!

Closing in on 600 Hero Ratings! Now with more than 16,000 comics listed and thousands more to come! To all of my Fantastic Customers I say, Thank You! Keep watching.

Now with 1,500+ positive feedback on the four letter site!
Standing offer to all CCL Members - every purchase you make from my other store (link below) earns you at least one freebie of my choice! If you purchase from Hall Liquidations send a PM to Hall of Heroes and let me know! Thanks!

Hall Liquidations

kidlippy
Posted: Friday, January 17, 2014 6:10:56 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

I never thought about this before. Mainly because I never experienced it in any way. Most people that know about my comic collection are also fans of the same comic based movies so what can they really say?
Everyone is a geek or nerd of something. For example: Jocks know sports stats...that makes them a geek/nerd of sports.
I have friends that are surprised I read comics mainly because I don't fit the "comic book guy" image (whatever that means). My family assumes I'm working on my "investment" for when I retire. They don't believe I actually read my comics.

http://www.myspace.com/kidlippy