Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Superman - Up, up and Oy vey! Options
MoonKnight1
Posted: Monday, November 04, 2013 10:51:55 AM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

The Mensch of Steel

Does this mean that Lex Luthor is anti-Semetic? Talk amongst yourselves!

Fantastic News! Hall of Heroes has now surpassed 600 Hero Ratings! I couldn't have done it without all of you and I will strive to maintain and improve my high standards. Which brings me to my next announcement - starting now, all shipments will come with tracking at no extra charge to you! I'm a little late to the party but as they say - better late than never. You spoke and I heard you loud and clear. Excelsior!

Now with 1,500+ positive feedback on the four letter site!
Standing offer to all CCL Members - every purchase you make from my other store (link below) earns you at least one freebie of my choice! If you purchase from Hall Liquidations send a PM to Hall of Heroes and let me know! Thanks!

Hall Liquidations

Thundercron
Posted: Monday, November 04, 2013 11:19:57 AM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Man, I've been reading about this stuff for years, and I sometimes just shake my head. There have been whole books published psycho-analyzing certain comics, particularly Superman and Watchmen. And although I find some of it interesting, I think many authors and professors read WAY too much into these things. I highly doubt that Sigel, Shuster, or Alan Moore intended so many "messages" to be present in their work. Some of it, sure. But I think a lot of it is reader interpretation.

Take the point in the article about the destruction of Krypton representing the Holocaust and genocide of the Jews. The truth is, the concentration camps themselves weren't discovered until after the Allies started to liberate them. True, the segregation of Jews and violence against them was already occurring, but the push towards outright genocide didn't start until after 1938, so the analogy in the article doesn't hold water in that instance.

I think it's fine to discover deeper meanings in things, but I think it's foolish to think the author planned every single one of them.
KingZombie
Posted: Monday, November 04, 2013 6:13:18 PM

Groups: Member

Just because the creators were Jewish and used their cultural influences to develop the character and his background does not mean Superman himself is Jewish and therefore Lex Luthor is anti-Semitic for being his enemy.

Oy vey indeed.
teh_longinator
Posted: Monday, November 04, 2013 9:46:09 PM

Groups: Member

I read that whole article... Now my head hurts, and I wasted five minutes of my life.

Cave Comics
I buy comics so that I can sell comics, to buy more comics.

Check out my eBay listings at http://www.ebay.ca/sch/tehlonginator/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
jhorsley3
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2013 4:42:43 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

I can't stand stuff like this.

I promise you they where not putting THAT much into any of the original stories. It was about selling an idea to make money. Yes they used their influences and background at the time to mold the story...but the original Superman was a mad scientist...how does that fit the whole plot? And if it was true wouldn't all their other creations follow a similar vain? I don't think Slam Bradley or Skyman would fit this article.

Like our facebook page: Th3 Comics