Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Why membership to buy books? Options
RubberMalletComics
Posted: Sunday, November 03, 2013 7:58:17 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Is there a coding reason that people have to set up a free membership account to buy books? It just occurred to me when I was making a few online purchases at some of the larger sites that as long as it was done through paypal or a credit card it wasn't necessary for me to fill out a membership form. (goHastings.com was the site that got me thinking about it).

Now, don't get me wrong, I think membership is advantageous expecially in regards to special sales notices and the forums - but I'm sure some people just want to buy a book and be done with it.

Plus it isn't like the biggies don't do force membership - namely Amazon, eBay and such.

But ultimately it could draw more buyers, I think, if it were an option.

Thundercron
Posted: Sunday, November 03, 2013 10:22:17 PM

Shop at My Store

RubberMalletComics wrote:
Is there a coding reason that people have to set up a free membership account to buy books? It just occurred to me when I was making a few online purchases at some of the larger sites that as long as it was done through paypal or a credit card it wasn't necessary for me to fill out a membership form. (goHastings.com was the site that got me thinking about it).

Now, don't get me wrong, I think membership is advantageous expecially in regards to special sales notices and the forums - but I'm sure some people just want to buy a book and be done with it.

Plus it isn't like the biggies don't do force membership - namely Amazon, eBay and such.But ultimately it could draw more buyers, I think, if it were an option.

How do you buy stuff on ebay without being a member (ie, having an account)?
SwiftMann
Posted: Sunday, November 03, 2013 10:26:00 PM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Thundercron wrote:

Plus it isn't like the biggies don't do force membership - namely Amazon, eBay and such.But ultimately it could draw more buyers, I think, if it were an option.

I think the double negative of isn't...don't was him saying that the biggies do, but since CCL is small it needs any draw it can get.

I don't know why CCL wouldn't. It doesn't take much to sign up and it gives everyone an avenue for tracking folks down when e-mail alone might not cut it.

Has DC Done Something Stupid Today?

"The return of beards and 90's fashion makes hipsters and homeless people impossible to tell apart." - Woody, Quantum & Woody #5
Thundercron
Posted: Sunday, November 03, 2013 10:31:18 PM

Shop at My Store

SwiftMann wrote:
Thundercron wrote:

I think the double negative of isn't...don't was him saying that the biggies do, but since CCL is small it needs any draw it can get.

I don't know why CCL wouldn't. It doesn't take much to sign up and it gives everyone an avenue for tracking folks down when e-mail alone might not cut it.

I agree.
RubberMalletComics
Posted: Monday, November 04, 2013 10:06:15 AM

Sorry about the grammar error. I went back and edited that line ... and ruined it. lol. Yes, I meant that this site uses the amazon/eBay model that requires their ID system.

I was just wondering if there was a reason for it other than it being standard. Because at this moment, we can only sell to 92,000 (or so) people. eBay has millions of customers, as does Amazon ... so it doesn't matter to them. And their reputation for safe transactions is established.

While setting up an account here is not an arduous process, but it surely does prevent some purchases from occurring. There are inevitably going to be potential buyers who just want to buy a book and don't want to be members.

...and there are probably potential customers that don't want to be tracked down after their purchase. When I had a store on my own site, I just had paypal links and got all the info I need through that ... shipping address, email and amount. What more do you need?

I was really just wondering if it was a coding decision, or a marketing decision. Sites being established nowadays are often allowing purchases without creating accounts, and since I've told my customers about my new online store here that's been an occasional complaint.

Joe
Posted: Monday, November 04, 2013 1:02:57 PM

Groups: CCL Feature Crew, Forum Admin, Member, Subscriber

Sorry about the grammar error. I went back and edited that line ... and ruined it. lol. Yes, I meant that this site uses the amazon/eBay model that requires their ID system.

I was just wondering if there was a reason for it other than it being standard. Because at this moment, we can only sell to 92,000 (or so) people. eBay has millions of customers, as does Amazon ... so it doesn't matter to them. And their reputation for safe transactions is established.

While setting up an account here is not an arduous process, but it surely does prevent some purchases from occurring. There are inevitably going to be potential buyers who just want to buy a book and don't want to be members.

...and there are probably potential customers that don't want to be tracked down after their purchase. When I had a store on my own site, I just had paypal links and got all the info I need through that ... shipping address, email and amount. What more do you need?

I was really just wondering if it was a coding decision, or a marketing decision. Sites being established nowadays are often allowing purchases without creating accounts, and since I've told my customers about my new online store here that's been an occasional complaint.

This is interesting. When we designed the site, it was built into the code that a person had to register to purchase. This way we can track their orders, statements etc... and if there are any complaints we can track history easily.

We just felt the positives outweighed the negatives and decided to have them register to purchase.

Joe Butler
Founder / CEO
Comic Collector Live

The leader should be the person capable of abstract thought!
(From the movie "O' Brother where art thou")

http://www.ComicCollectorLive.com

Thundercron
Posted: Monday, November 04, 2013 1:12:53 PM

Shop at My Store

Joe wrote:

This is interesting. When we designed the site, it was built into the code that a person had to register to purchase. This way we can track their orders, statements etc... and if there are any complaints we can track history easily.

We just felt the positives outweighed the negatives and decided to have them register to purchase.

I think it's a fine requirement. Most other websites require a membership to buy items, it's so common now that people really shouldn't have a problem with it. And the statement that ebay has a reputation for safe transactions.....well....that made me chuckle. Safe for who? Bidders routinely get away with not paying for items, and it's set up so that sellers never know if a bidder has a history of this.

If a seller has an item here that nobody else has, the collector will jump through any hoop to get it.
CrossbowComics
Posted: Monday, November 04, 2013 1:13:25 PM

Shop at My Store

You're making a valid point, many people are hesitant to give out personal info to an unfamilar site. When a site is booming you can probably get away with it, especially when the software is free. Now that the site has slowed & complaints are less of an issue it's probably time to fling the doors open.
Probably nothing is changing until the new software arrives though.

NOW OPEN - TreehouseComicShop.com
also top rated on Ebay as ideaman33

The_Valiant_One
Posted: Monday, November 04, 2013 1:48:24 PM

Groups: CCL Feature Crew, Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Interesting suggestion, so I thought I'd chime in:

This is just me, but personally I don't see this as an issue for at least 4 reasons:

First, yes, there are some sites (i.e. Mile High, etc) that don't require you to be a member on the front end, but on the flip side, I've been to lots of sites that don't sell that require registration if I want to interact (i.e. ValiantFans.com, He-Man.org, etc). Our site does a lot but we're an online community as well as a sales site. People who use or would use the software require registration anyway. Plus, the point was made about other sites, such as EBAY to register, too.

Second, I think the amount of information we ask for is nominal to little. The information certainly comes in handy for me in case I need to contact someone via e-mail that has a customer service issue, for example. So this is necessary I think to be effective with customer service on the most primal level.

Third, we want to encourage people to do more than just shop and drop...but to stay on the site as much as possible. We have the forums here (which we're communicating through) which require membership to post. I'm a seller too and this is important because the longer someone stays on the site, the more potential that person has to eventually purchase. It gives someone a sense of community, which we are.

Fourth, I honestly can't say I've ever had anyone complain personally to me about having to register in order to make a purchase. If you're having people complain that they have to register, I would say overcome the objection. All the sites information is free, but asking for a couple lines of information that they'd probably have to give anyway when they make the purchase, doesn't seem like a big deal and honestly makes their future purchases with CCL easier AND make the community better and bigger.

SwiftMann
Posted: Monday, November 04, 2013 2:28:22 PM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

it surely does prevent some purchases from occurring. There are inevitably going to be potential buyers who just want to buy a book and don't want to be members.
I've told my customers about my new online store here that's been an occasional complaint.

It's not that I don't believe you, I just can't believe there are people out there that complain about this:

Quote:
Handle:

First Name:
Last Name:

Email Address:
Confirm Email:

New Password:
Confirm Password:

Security Question:
Security Answer:

Time Zone:

Well, I guess I can believe there are people that will complain about anything. I just don't believe that they were really going to buy from here if this is what stopped them.

Has DC Done Something Stupid Today?

"The return of beards and 90's fashion makes hipsters and homeless people impossible to tell apart." - Woody, Quantum & Woody #5
CrossbowComics
Posted: Monday, November 04, 2013 2:36:54 PM

Shop at My Store

The_Valiant_One wrote:

Interesting suggestion, so I thought I'd chime in:

This is just me, but personally I don't see this as an issue for at least 4 reasons:

First, yes, there are some sites (i.e. Mile High, etc) that don't require you to be a member on the front end, but on the flip side, I've been to lots of sites that don't sell that require registration if I want to interact (i.e. ValiantFans.com, He-Man.org, etc). Our site does a lot but we're an online community as well as a sales site. People who use or would use the software require registration anyway. Plus, the point was made about other sites, such as EBAY to register, too.

Second, I think the amount of information we ask for is nominal to little. The information certainly comes in handy for me in case I need to contact someone via e-mail that has a customer service issue, for example. So this is necessary I think to be effective with customer service on the most primal level.

Third, we want to encourage people to do more than just shop and drop...but to stay on the site as much as possible. We have the forums here (which we're communicating through) which require membership to post. I'm a seller too and this is important because the longer someone stays on the site, the more potential that person has to eventually purchase. It gives someone a sense of community, which we are.

Fourth, I honestly can't say I've ever had anyone complain personally to me about having to register in order to make a purchase. If you're having people complain that they have to register, I would say overcome the objection. All the sites information is free, but asking for a couple lines of information that they'd probably have to give anyway when they make the purchase, doesn't seem like a big deal and honestly makes their future purchases with CCL easier AND make the community better and bigger.

Look at it this way, we need those sales $ to make the next CCL, why have any hurdles to shop.

Registering on Ebay allows you to sell so that's kind of a moot point.

Xylob
Posted: Monday, November 04, 2013 3:19:27 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

SwiftMann wrote:
it surely does prevent some purchases from occurring. There are inevitably going to be potential buyers who just want to buy a book and don't want to be members.
I've told my customers about my new online store here that's been an occasional complaint.

It's not that I don't believe you, I just can't believe there are people out there that complain about this:

Quote:
Handle:

First Name:
Last Name:

Email Address:
Confirm Email:

New Password:
Confirm Password:

Security Question:
Security Answer:

Time Zone:

Well, I guess I can believe there are people that will complain about anything. I just don't believe that they were really going to buy from here if this is what stopped them.
Especially since we're more than a decade into the 21st century? I suppose I have seen other online stores where all you have to provide is the email that your PayPal is tied to (at which point you're handed off to the PayPal site), but they're rare to say the least.

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
The_Valiant_One
Posted: Monday, November 04, 2013 3:40:14 PM

Shop at My Store

crossbowcomics wrote:
Look at it this way, we need those sales $ to make the next CCL, why have any hurdles to shop.

But that's under the assumption that 5-6 lines of registration info is a large enough hurdle that keep tons of people from buying on the site. Again, I can only speak from my experience. No seller I can recall has asked this of CCL, and no one has ever called in asking why they have to register...which means if it is an objection by a very small minority, it has to be a pretty easy objection to overcome.

CrossbowComics
Posted: Monday, November 04, 2013 4:30:07 PM

Shop at My Store

The_Valiant_One wrote:
crossbowcomics wrote:

But that's under the assumption that 5-6 lines of registration info is a large enough hurdle that keep tons of people from buying on the site. Again, I can only speak from my experience. No seller I can recall has asked this of CCL, and no one has ever called in asking why they have to register...which means if it is an objection by a very small minority, it has to be a pretty easy objection to overcome.

Personally I'm hesitant to give out my email to people/sites I'm not familiar with, but if I really wanted comics I'd get over it in a hurry, so I partly agree.

spacecitycomics
Posted: Monday, November 04, 2013 4:54:37 PM

Groups: Member

I ran my upteen odd webshops for a few years and never
required anyone to register. The shopping cart was a Paypal
clone that I did minor tweeking on, and PP handled any and
all of the security on the actual transaction. It does seem
that under a cloaked operating system with a size like CCL
that registration is a very minor but very important measure.
RubberMalletComics
Posted: Monday, November 04, 2013 5:53:59 PM

Most of my customers didn't know about CCl, but of the few who did, there were only a few who said that's why they don't use it.

And, of course, they are people who walk into my store so I don't need them to buy online. lol.

I was just curious if it was a choice or a requirement when the site was made.

I don't think they have a privacy issue. I think they are tired of usernames and passwords they have to keep straight. And ultimately they might not even be very web savvy.

Thanks for the info.

The_Valiant_One
Posted: Monday, November 04, 2013 6:04:17 PM

Shop at My Store

spacecitycomics wrote:
I ran my upteen odd webshops for a few years and never
required anyone to register. The shopping cart was a Paypal
clone that I did minor tweeking on, and PP handled any and
all of the security on the actual transaction. It does seem
that under a cloaked operating system with a size like CCL
that registration is a very minor but very important measure.

I love your backwall. I'm just going to say that right now off topic.

Wow.

The_Valiant_One
Posted: Monday, November 04, 2013 6:07:56 PM

Shop at My Store

Most of my customers didn't know about CCl, but of the few who did, there were only a few who said that's why they don't use it.

And, of course, they are people who walk into my store so I don't need them to buy online. lol.

I was just curious if it was a choice or a requirement when the site was made.

I don't think they have a privacy issue. I think they are tired of usernames and passwords they have to keep straight. And ultimately they might not even be very web savvy.

Thanks for the info.

Now the not-being-web-savvy HAS been an issue for some people in the past using CCL. However, there's not much more I can do other than give them the confidence to move forward and tell them that we're an online service and registration is merely a formality in order to use the service. People have called in with site and software navigation issues before because of their inexperience with using online services before, but like someone said above...we just need to bring this folks kicking and screaming into the 21st century...or in the case of our website, at least circa 2010 for now ;)

Totally legit question and one that I appreciate the conversation about :)

scotteaves
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2013 8:34:32 AM

Groups: Approver, Approver Moderator, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Guru, Member, Subscriber

CrossbowComics wrote:

Registering on ebay allows you to BUY and sell. Try and buy something without registering on ebay. Impossible.

For me - I don't see the issue with registering. I prefer to register for a site that I buy from. Why? So I can go back and check my orders easier. Ever try to check your orders without an account? Pretty much a nightmare for a large percentage of sites.

freakdylan
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2013 8:55:52 AM

Groups: Member

scotteaves wrote:
I prefer to register for a site that I buy from. Why? So I can go back and check my orders easier. Ever try to check your orders without an account? Pretty much a nightmare for a large percentage of sites.

I fully agree with this, on a few sites I have placed orders and checked out as guest, later made me kick myself for doing so. Since I couldnt log in to check order, status etc was nightmare.

Thanks to the following sellers for helping me put together my complete run of Amazing Spider-man #1-700

ComicCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Now for the sellers helping me finish my TMNT collection:

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics