Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Easiest Way to Add Card Set? Options
Thundercron
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2013 9:19:28 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Hey!

So I've got the entire set of Transformers Action Cards by Hasbro from 1985 that I figure I should add to the database. What's the best way to add them without scanning all 192 cards individually? I thought about scanning nine to a page and then cropping out each one individually. Has anyone had success with that? Or should I just use a website I found for the images?

SwiftMann
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2013 9:30:15 PM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

If the website that has them has decent, non-watermarked images, just use those. Otherwise, I find scanning individually tedious but quick, especially if you set the scan area for just the size of the cards.

Has DC Done Something Stupid Today?

"The return of beards and 90's fashion makes hipsters and homeless people impossible to tell apart." - Woody, Quantum & Woody #5
scotteaves
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2013 9:07:42 AM

Groups: Approver, Approver Moderator, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Guru, Member, Subscriber

I took a piece of foam core, cut it to fit my scanner (tape it down so it doesn' t move) and then cut out spaces for cards. Turned sideways, I fit 6 cards per scan. I use an old version of Photoshop Elements to scan into. Using the scanner software, I run a preview scan once then set individual scan boxes for each card. Total time so far, less than 2 minutes. Select all boxes and scan, swap to the next batch of cards, hit scan. Repeat. That does a 90 card set in 15 scans. I can do that in about 20 minutes. Because the cards are cropped cleanly due to the scan boxes there is no additional trimming needed. Then I use the feature that allows me to process multiple files to save all the cards with their file name being their card number. To make this work best, start scanning from highest card number to lowest. Last, show them as thumbnails in Windows Explorer, select all, right click, and rotate them the correct direction. Overall, less than a half hour of scanning and processing per set. Adding them to the db takes much, much longer.

I can take a picture of the foam core template I use tonight if you want.

scotteaves
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2013 11:43:14 AM

Groups: Approver, Approver Moderator, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Guru, Member, Subscriber

Here's my template: