Log In Forums Help
Comic Collector Live
Home :: CCL Messageboard
Find Comics for Sale
Items For Sale
All Comics For Sale
New Releases
CGC Comics
Bundled Lots
Store Locator
Search Library
Search By Title
Publisher
Story Arc
Character
Credits
Release Date
Change Request Manager
News & Reviews
Reviews
News
Our Products and Services
Get the Software
Buying Comics And Stuff
Selling Your Comics
Opening A Store
Community
Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
What is Your Spending Limit on a Single Comic Issue? Options
BurningDoom
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2013 12:48:28 PM

Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

Joined: 1/5/2007
Posts: 12,604
Points: 60,545
Location: Redding, CA
Rex_Kramer wrote:
About $35. I recently traded a used guitar for a FF #8, so I'm not sure if that counts Big Grin


Great deal, since it's easy enough to replace a guitar. Not quite as easy to find that early of a FF issue, though.

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
andyborehol
Posted: Thursday, November 07, 2013 12:11:12 AM

Rank: Watcher
Groups: Member

Joined: 2/10/2012
Posts: 991
Points: 2,973
Location: Cincinnati, OH
The most I've ever paid for an item in my personal collection was $250 for an Incredible Hulk #181 in GD/VG condition. I probably wouldn't have even paid this much but I had just come into a windfall of cash and went to a store I'd never been to before that was having a 50% off all back issues sale with a $500 price tag on it. Most expensive impulse buy ever!

I have also paid $500 twice now for copies of The Walking Dead #1 but they weren't for me...Both times I quickly flipped them for almost double what I paid. It's kind of crazy how many people are willing to pay $1000+ for this right now.

Like many of you, I am also running out of easier-to-find issues on my wishlist and I find my limit is going up lately. I think that I literally own every standard cover of every comic with the word "Wolverine" in the title at this point so I've been hunting for variants and rarities which can get quite expensive...I recently paid $35 for a copy of Wolverine Origins #2C (Canadian Flag Variant) which felt like a lot but I justified it by the fact that I'd never seen one for under $75 before.

SwiftMann wrote:
I haven't paid more than $20. And that was recently on a book I should have done more research on if I hadn't been trying to be CCL faithful in my buying.

I am getting to the point that I've exhausted most of the $1-2 books from my wantlis, so I'm having to raise my previous limit of cover (or less) to about $10.

This, of course, keeps me from getting Uncanny X-Men #266.

It's funny that you say that because I snagged a VF copy of Uncanny #266 at a con last year for exactly $20...if you're patient, you can find one without breaking your current record! Big Grin

Check out my store, Divide & Conquer Comics!!!
fenix1977
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 3:34:22 AM

Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Member, Subscriber

Joined: 3/16/2007
Posts: 6,683
Points: 22,483
I am saving slowly..for Incredible Hulk #180. It is my ultimate must have. Some day..it shall be mine!



Mad Bloggings

ratrapp
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 5:56:28 AM
Rank: Superhero
Groups: Member

Joined: 11/2/2010
Posts: 108
Points: 324
Location: buena vista va
I know what you mean.i need flash 105 and 106 to finish my set.i know 105 is out of my reach but I feel like I can save up and get 106 maybe next year for 300 to 500 dollars.
Shadowdodger
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 7:17:56 AM

Rank: Celestial
Groups: Member

Joined: 3/19/2007
Posts: 2,660
Points: 7,980
Location: Worcester, MA
Holy Smokes! $300+ for a single comic! I love comics as much as the next nerd, but I also love to eat and have a place to live. Maybe it's because I don't collect any GA books that that seems so high. I think the most I've spent is around $20.

Shadowdodger says: "Shop at these fine stores"


Bamf!!!! Hall of Heroes ComicsMD ComicVortex
Comic Hunter Legends Comix and Games Blue Moon Comics Comic Cellar
Khaine
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 7:58:37 AM
Rank: Eternal
Groups: Member, Subscriber

Joined: 6/3/2013
Posts: 237
Points: 731
Shadowdodger wrote:
Holy Smokes! $300+ for a single comic! I love comics as much as the next nerd, but I also love to eat and have a place to live. Maybe it's because I don't collect any GA books that that seems so high. I think the most I've spent is around $20.


I think it's relative to where your at in life. I know for me and my family we run on a budget, in the next 5 years I can totally see me paying 300-500 dollars for a book if I choose to do so. Most of my kids will be out of the house Pray , plus we should be completely debt free. So fun money budget will go way up as responsibility spirals down.
Shadowdodger
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 8:14:44 AM

Rank: Celestial
Groups: Member

Joined: 3/19/2007
Posts: 2,660
Points: 7,980
Location: Worcester, MA
Khaine wrote:
Shadowdodger wrote:
Holy Smokes! $300+ for a single comic! I love comics as much as the next nerd, but I also love to eat and have a place to live. Maybe it's because I don't collect any GA books that that seems so high. I think the most I've spent is around $20.


I think it's relative to where your at in life. I know for me and my family we run on a budget, in the next 5 years I can totally see me paying 300-500 dollars for a book if I choose to do so. Most of my kids will be out of the house Pray , plus we should be completely debt free. So fun money budget will go way up as responsibility spirals down.


You make a good point. My kids are only 9 and 6 so a lot of our fun money goes toward doing stuff with them. And if you plan it out and save for a couple years, it makes sense. That's what I did for my last tattoo.

Shadowdodger says: "Shop at these fine stores"


Bamf!!!! Hall of Heroes ComicsMD ComicVortex
Comic Hunter Legends Comix and Games Blue Moon Comics Comic Cellar
freakdylan
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 8:59:24 AM

Rank: Watcher
Groups: Member

Joined: 6/4/2012
Posts: 929
Points: 6,271
Shadowdodger wrote:
Khaine wrote:
Shadowdodger wrote:
Holy Smokes! $300+ for a single comic! I love comics as much as the next nerd, but I also love to eat and have a place to live. Maybe it's because I don't collect any GA books that that seems so high. I think the most I've spent is around $20.


I think it's relative to where your at in life. I know for me and my family we run on a budget, in the next 5 years I can totally see me paying 300-500 dollars for a book if I choose to do so. Most of my kids will be out of the house Pray , plus we should be completely debt free. So fun money budget will go way up as responsibility spirals down.


You make a good point. My kids are only 9 and 6 so a lot of our fun money goes toward doing stuff with them. And if you plan it out and save for a couple years, it makes sense. That's what I did for my last tattoo.


Also I think current pull lists have to be accounted for. I dont collect any new titles so I have a zero pull list except silver age spideys. So while some people might be spending $100+ a month on pull lists I put all that money towards old stuff. I figure why buy new when in a year it will be here for 50 cents.




Thanks to the following sellers for helping me put together my complete run of Amazing Spider-man #1-700

ComicCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar


Now for the sellers helping me finish my TMNT collection:

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics



ratrapp
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 6:08:35 PM
Rank: Superhero
Groups: Member

Joined: 11/2/2010
Posts: 108
Points: 324
Location: buena vista va
well I don't have kids and do a lot of mechanic side work to pay for my comics and racing habits.i told my g'f that I could drink or do drugs or gamble so this is better than that stuff.
ocphil
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 3:02:19 AM

Rank: Superhero
Groups: Member

Joined: 5/24/2011
Posts: 126
Points: 378
$500 right now, maybe $900 for a golden age book.
Khaine
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 1:58:58 PM
Rank: Eternal
Groups: Member, Subscriber

Joined: 6/3/2013
Posts: 237
Points: 731
Now for me the prices of some of these gold age comics baffle me, I can see why Superman or Batman could fetch big bucks as hardcore collectors with deep pockets want to finish off their collections. Even the Horror ones make sense as they are "classics"

but I look online and see a generic jungle comic from the 40's going for 9 grand. I know its in almost perfect shape but, really who cares?

what's the rational behind the person that is willing to shell out that much? How many uber collectors are out there that just buy these 4-5 figure books that can't be read cause they are sealed in plastic cases. It can't be a handfull of people as the stores would never move the books right?
Thundercron
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 2:08:55 PM

Rank: Celestial
Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Joined: 9/14/2008
Posts: 2,580
Points: 32,445
Location: Vancouver, Washington
Khaine wrote:
Now for me the prices of some of these gold age comics baffle me, I can see why Superman or Batman could fetch big bucks as hardcore collectors with deep pockets want to finish off their collections. Even the Horror ones make sense as they are "classics"

but I look online and see a generic jungle comic from the 40's going for 9 grand. I know its in almost perfect shape but, really who cares?

what's the rational behind the person that is willing to shell out that much? How many uber collectors are out there that just buy these 4-5 figure books that can't be read cause they are sealed in plastic cases. It can't be a handfull of people as the stores would never move the books right?


You've just hit the nail on the head as to why Overstreet Price Guide is such a racket. The guide prices don't reflect supply and demand. It's more like a reflection of "supply and old". It seems that just because a book is old, that that somehow means it's worth thousands of dollars, regardless of the fact that the demand is close to zero. Today's collectors have no interest or connection with most of the Golden Age books, so there isn't really that much demand. It's very irresponsible for Overstreet to cite such high/inflated prices on items simply because of their age, and ignore the fact that demand for many non-superhero and non-horror/sci-fi books is drying up year after year.
BruceReville
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 2:41:52 PM

Rank: Watcher
Groups: Member

Joined: 1/21/2010
Posts: 996
Points: 2,988
Thundercron wrote:
Khaine wrote:
Now for me the prices of some of these gold age comics baffle me, I can see why Superman or Batman could fetch big bucks as hardcore collectors with deep pockets want to finish off their collections. Even the Horror ones make sense as they are "classics"

but I look online and see a generic jungle comic from the 40's going for 9 grand. I know its in almost perfect shape but, really who cares?

what's the rational behind the person that is willing to shell out that much? How many uber collectors are out there that just buy these 4-5 figure books that can't be read cause they are sealed in plastic cases. It can't be a handfull of people as the stores would never move the books right?


You've just hit the nail on the head as to why Overstreet Price Guide is such a racket. The guide prices don't reflect supply and demand. It's more like a reflection of "supply and old". It seems that just because a book is old, that that somehow means it's worth thousands of dollars, regardless of the fact that the demand is close to zero. Today's collectors have no interest or connection with most of the Golden Age books, so there isn't really that much demand. It's very irresponsible for Overstreet to cite such high/inflated prices on items simply because of their age, and ignore the fact that demand for many non-superhero and non-horror/sci-fi books is drying up year after year.


A good value super-hero Golden Age Comic is Fawcett's Captain Marvel line - which I found surprising - I picked up 4 titles between 1948-1950 for under $100.00.

Just When You Thought It Was Safe To Collect Again --- VARIANTS STRIKE!



Khaine
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 5:51:09 PM
Rank: Eternal
Groups: Member, Subscriber

Joined: 6/3/2013
Posts: 237
Points: 731
BruceReville wrote:
A good value super-hero Golden Age Comic is Fawcett's Captain Marvel line - which I found surprising - I picked up 4 titles between 1948-1950 for under $100.00.


That's is nice, which makes you go Wall

There is a super hero that might be a B list Superman but, through the years its been reinvented over and over again. I like to think I'm not too old but, I remember watching the live action TV (reruns of course) in the mid late 70's and the cartoon in the 80's. When I saw the N52 Justice League comic with Shazam on the cover it got me interested enough to add that to my pull list.

so you would think a gold age captain marvel (shazam) would sell for more than say a vg copy of Catman which I see in a store for 400 dollars.....
BruceReville
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 6:21:00 PM

Rank: Watcher
Groups: Member

Joined: 1/21/2010
Posts: 996
Points: 2,988
Khaine wrote:
BruceReville wrote:
A good value super-hero Golden Age Comic is Fawcett's Captain Marvel line - which I found surprising - I picked up 4 titles between 1948-1950 for under $100.00.


That's is nice, which makes you go Wall

There is a super hero that might be a B list Superman but, through the years its been reinvented over and over again. I like to think I'm not too old but, I remember watching the live action TV (reruns of course) in the mid late 70's and the cartoon in the 80's. When I saw the N52 Justice League comic with Shazam on the cover it got me interested enough to add that to my pull list.

so you would think a gold age captain marvel (shazam) would sell for more than say a vg copy of Catman which I see in a store for 400 dollars.....


Captain Marvel comics were actually the highest selling and printed superhero comic in the late 40s to 50s - if it wasn't for DC (Or national Periodical) at the time winning the lawsuit over plagiarism against Fawcett who knows how the landscape of comics would be now - could you imagine DC being bought out by a rival instead of the other way around.

Catman - depending on the issue - $400.00 would be a steal - very low distribution

Just When You Thought It Was Safe To Collect Again --- VARIANTS STRIKE!



ratrapp
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 7:00:41 PM
Rank: Superhero
Groups: Member

Joined: 11/2/2010
Posts: 108
Points: 324
Location: buena vista va
the few issues I've spent over a $100 on are silver age issues like flash #110,green lantern #76 and a couple early showcase issues.i picked up iron man 1 for under a 100 and even got a cgc iron man 55 for 90 a few years ago.i have no interest in golden age books at all regardless of the value.i need 4 green lanterns to complete my run.i know I can get 4 and 5 for under a 100 but not 1 or 2.i rarely spend over a $100 for single issue but it has happened.
BurningDoom
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 8:00:36 PM

Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

Joined: 1/5/2007
Posts: 12,604
Points: 60,545
Location: Redding, CA
BruceReville wrote:
Thundercron wrote:
Khaine wrote:
Now for me the prices of some of these gold age comics baffle me, I can see why Superman or Batman could fetch big bucks as hardcore collectors with deep pockets want to finish off their collections. Even the Horror ones make sense as they are "classics"

but I look online and see a generic jungle comic from the 40's going for 9 grand. I know its in almost perfect shape but, really who cares?

what's the rational behind the person that is willing to shell out that much? How many uber collectors are out there that just buy these 4-5 figure books that can't be read cause they are sealed in plastic cases. It can't be a handfull of people as the stores would never move the books right?


You've just hit the nail on the head as to why Overstreet Price Guide is such a racket. The guide prices don't reflect supply and demand. It's more like a reflection of "supply and old". It seems that just because a book is old, that that somehow means it's worth thousands of dollars, regardless of the fact that the demand is close to zero. Today's collectors have no interest or connection with most of the Golden Age books, so there isn't really that much demand. It's very irresponsible for Overstreet to cite such high/inflated prices on items simply because of their age, and ignore the fact that demand for many non-superhero and non-horror/sci-fi books is drying up year after year.


A good value super-hero Golden Age Comic is Fawcett's Captain Marvel line - which I found surprising - I picked up 4 titles between 1948-1950 for under $100.00.


I remember when I was a kid that Whiz Comics #2 (actually #1, but for some strange reason the cover says #2), the first appearance of Captain Marvel, was going for just about as much as Action Comics #1.

He may not be all that popular nowadays. But in the Golden Age, there was a period where he was so popular he was actually outselling Superman comics. DC Comics slapping a lawsuit on Fawcett was a cutthroat move because they felt threatened by The Big Red Cheese.

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
BruceReville
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 8:48:46 PM

Rank: Watcher
Groups: Member

Joined: 1/21/2010
Posts: 996
Points: 2,988
BurningDoom wrote:
BruceReville wrote:
Thundercron wrote:
Khaine wrote:
Now for me the prices of some of these gold age comics baffle me, I can see why Superman or Batman could fetch big bucks as hardcore collectors with deep pockets want to finish off their collections. Even the Horror ones make sense as they are "classics"

but I look online and see a generic jungle comic from the 40's going for 9 grand. I know its in almost perfect shape but, really who cares?

what's the rational behind the person that is willing to shell out that much? How many uber collectors are out there that just buy these 4-5 figure books that can't be read cause they are sealed in plastic cases. It can't be a handfull of people as the stores would never move the books right?


You've just hit the nail on the head as to why Overstreet Price Guide is such a racket. The guide prices don't reflect supply and demand. It's more like a reflection of "supply and old". It seems that just because a book is old, that that somehow means it's worth thousands of dollars, regardless of the fact that the demand is close to zero. Today's collectors have no interest or connection with most of the Golden Age books, so there isn't really that much demand. It's very irresponsible for Overstreet to cite such high/inflated prices on items simply because of their age, and ignore the fact that demand for many non-superhero and non-horror/sci-fi books is drying up year after year.


A good value super-hero Golden Age Comic is Fawcett's Captain Marvel line - which I found surprising - I picked up 4 titles between 1948-1950 for under $100.00.


I remember when I was a kid that Whiz Comics #2 (actually #1, but for some strange reason the cover says #2), the first appearance of Captain Marvel, was going for just about as much as Action Comics #1.

He may not be all that popular nowadays. But in the Golden Age, there was a period where he was so popular he was actually outselling Superman comics. DC Comics slapping a lawsuit on Fawcett was a cutthroat move because they felt threatened by The Big Red Cheese.


Actually Whiz Comics #2 is the second appearance of Captain Marvel - yet recognized as his first due to his first being in an ashcan Flash Comics #1 (Named Captain Thunder) released by Fawcett - Fawcett released the ashcan in hopes of securing first usage rights of the title Flash Comics but DC beat them to it and few remain. Flash Comics Ashcan was reprinted in another ashcan called Thrill Comics #1, but eventually released the origin story of Captain Thunder in its first official comic release Whiz Comics #2 renaming Captain Thunder to Captain Marvel. The reason for Whiz Comics beginning with #2 was due to the same content basically being released prior in Flash and Thrill #1 so as to distinguish it from prior failed attempts to secure first usage with distributors they began numbering at #2 - the title Whiz Comics was taken from Fawcett's first published work a magazine called Captain Billy's Whiz Bang.

And in a bit of WTF?! Whiz Comics also has 2 different #3 issues as well Laughing


Just When You Thought It Was Safe To Collect Again --- VARIANTS STRIKE!



BruceReville
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 8:54:13 PM

Rank: Watcher
Groups: Member

Joined: 1/21/2010
Posts: 996
Points: 2,988





Just When You Thought It Was Safe To Collect Again --- VARIANTS STRIKE!



Khaine
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 9:06:41 PM
Rank: Eternal
Groups: Member, Subscriber

Joined: 6/3/2013
Posts: 237
Points: 731
BruceReville wrote:
Captain Marvel comics were actually the highest selling and printed superhero comic in the late 40s to 50s - if it wasn't for DC (Or national Periodical) at the time winning the lawsuit over plagiarism against Fawcett who knows how the landscape of comics would be now - could you imagine DC being bought out by a rival instead of the other way around.

Catman - depending on the issue - $400.00 would be a steal - very low distribution


But my question is who actually wants the catman that bad to pay 400 dollars for it. I see a dozen or so on ebay for 400 but, when you go to what actually sold there is one for 99 dollars.

I understand that there is more shazam comics out there than catman because shazam was popular and is still popular just not as popular as he once was. The number 1 which is 2 can fetch up to 5 figures depending on condition and others can go for really high depending on the condition.

The "rarity" of cat-man which makes me guess he wasn't popular or he would have sold more copies and the fact he became public domain which leads me to believe even more that he was even less popular as noone cared enough to buy the rights or renew the rights of the character.

I'm not aware of a cat-man collector cult (maybe there is) but I don't understand why the 400 dollar price tag even if its in really good shape and it doesnt have to be cat-man I'm picking on cat-man it could be any of those romance, war, western, outspace, etc... that there is these really high prices for.

cat-man (or whatever other comic) collectors are a niche of a niche of a niche market, you would think that it would go for less as there are less people that would really want them? right?
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

This page was generated in 0.509 seconds.

ADVERTISEMENT . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
All images on comic collector live copyright of their respective publishers. © Copyright 2008, MidTen Media Inc. GOLO231