Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
What is Your Spending Limit on a Single Comic Issue? Options
BruceReville
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 9:31:30 PM

Groups: Member

Khaine wrote:
BruceReville wrote:
Captain Marvel comics were actually the highest selling and printed superhero comic in the late 40s to 50s - if it wasn't for DC (Or national Periodical) at the time winning the lawsuit over plagiarism against Fawcett who knows how the landscape of comics would be now - could you imagine DC being bought out by a rival instead of the other way around.

Catman - depending on the issue - $400.00 would be a steal - very low distribution

But my question is who actually wants the catman that bad to pay 400 dollars for it. I see a dozen or so on ebay for 400 but, when you go to what actually sold there is one for 99 dollars.

I understand that there is more shazam comics out there than catman because shazam was popular and is still popular just not as popular as he once was. The number 1 which is 2 can fetch up to 5 figures depending on condition and others can go for really high depending on the condition.

The "rarity" of cat-man which makes me guess he wasn't popular or he would have sold more copies and the fact he became public domain which leads me to believe even more that he was even less popular as noone cared enough to buy the rights or renew the rights of the character.

I'm not aware of a cat-man collector cult (maybe there is) but I don't understand why the 400 dollar price tag even if its in really good shape and it doesnt have to be cat-man I'm picking on cat-man it could be any of those romance, war, western, outspace, etc... that there is these really high prices for.

cat-man (or whatever other comic) collectors are a niche of a niche of a niche market, you would think that it would go for less as there are less people that would really want them? right?

I understand what you're saying and I myself would not buy a Cat-Man comic at least not anytime soon - he got a little bit of a popularity boost with the release of Project Superpowers from Dynamite a few years back, but you're right for the most part there is no niche for him other than Golden Age comic collector's (Which I am), but I am working on more popular characters at the moment - but due to rarity of the comic the price is right depending on which volume and numbering

Just When You Thought It Was Safe To Collect Again --- VARIANTS STRIKE!

Spider-Man
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2013 8:16:54 AM

Groups: Approver, Beta, CR-Management, Member, Subscriber

The key is what the book sold for, not what is being asked.

Sellers can ask whatever they want, but that does not determine the book's value. The sold price is what determines the value. If there are 15 issues for sale at various prices and one sells for 99.00 dollars, to me the value of that book is 99.00 dollars.

Signature design by CCL's own DrFate

SpiderFan.org

freakdylan
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2013 9:08:55 AM

Spider-Man wrote:
The key is what the book sold for, not what is being asked.

Sellers can ask whatever they want, but that does not determine the book's value. The sold price is what determines the value. If there are 15 issues for sale at various prices and one sells for 99.00 dollars, to me the value of that book is 99.00 dollars.

I think you have to go by more then one sale, as it could have been a fluke. Some non collector who just listed something not knowing true value. About 3 months ago I bought a Spiderman #1 Chromium off ebay for $50 in mint condition. That issue sells all day long right around the 275-325 mark so that one sale was an anomaly.

Also you have to take into account when auction ended, how it was listed etc. A spiderman comic listed under a HULK category is going to be viewed less then if it was properly categorized. Some foreign listers have auctions ending at 2am etc cutting down number of people bidding. Even the day of the week matters as auctions ending mid week will mean less people with money.

Thanks to the following sellers for helping me put together my complete run of Amazing Spider-man #1-700

ComicCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Now for the sellers helping me finish my TMNT collection:

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics

Atilla2k
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2013 10:03:42 AM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

My max for a single issue is $10 but it had better be key to filling in my collection! Although there was an anomaly when I paid $400 for Incredible Hulk #181...Anxious

Thundercron
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2013 10:42:32 AM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Khaine wrote:
BruceReville wrote:
Captain Marvel comics were actually the highest selling and printed superhero comic in the late 40s to 50s - if it wasn't for DC (Or national Periodical) at the time winning the lawsuit over plagiarism against Fawcett who knows how the landscape of comics would be now - could you imagine DC being bought out by a rival instead of the other way around.

Catman - depending on the issue - $400.00 would be a steal - very low distribution

But my question is who actually wants the catman that bad to pay 400 dollars for it. I see a dozen or so on ebay for 400 but, when you go to what actually sold there is one for 99 dollars.

I understand that there is more shazam comics out there than catman because shazam was popular and is still popular just not as popular as he once was. The number 1 which is 2 can fetch up to 5 figures depending on condition and others can go for really high depending on the condition.

The "rarity" of cat-man which makes me guess he wasn't popular or he would have sold more copies and the fact he became public domain which leads me to believe even more that he was even less popular as noone cared enough to buy the rights or renew the rights of the character.

I'm not aware of a cat-man collector cult (maybe there is) but I don't understand why the 400 dollar price tag even if its in really good shape and it doesnt have to be cat-man I'm picking on cat-man it could be any of those romance, war, western, outspace, etc... that there is these really high prices for.

cat-man (or whatever other comic) collectors are a niche of a niche of a niche market, you would think that it would go for less as there are less people that would really want them? right?

Let me explain what's going on here by citing an example of something that happened on these boards a few years back.

A member posted a question about an old Golden Age Western comic, wondering why it was being listed for so much by Harley Yee (an Overstreet Advisor) on ebay. I mean, it was way overpriced--the comic was in FAIR condition or something and Harley wanted $30 or so for it, even though the GOOD price in the Guide was something like $10 (meaning the FAIR price is usually half of the GOOD price). My numbers may be off, but you get the idea--overpriced Western book.

The member could find no copies anywhere else, and there had been no recent previous sales on ebay. So the comic IS rare. In fact, you could say that Harley was holding onto the only readily available copy in the market.

But who would pay that much for the comic? Nobody, really. So there the comic would sit in Harley's store, for a long time. But eventually--EVENTUALLY--some collector who only had that last issue to buy to fill his run would buy the book. Or a rich collector would finally buy it because it can't be found anywhere else, no matter the cost.

At that point, Harley would report the sale to Overstreet, and the price would increase in the next year's price guide. But is the comic really worth that much just because someone finally caved and bought it from him? No, no it's not.

And this illustrates why Overstreet it wrong, and why these people are asking so much money for this Cat-Man comic. It's obviously not worth $400, or else it would be REGULARLY be traded and sold for that price.
freakdylan
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2013 11:50:51 AM

Thundercron wrote:

Let me explain what's going on here by citing an example of something that happened on these boards a few years back.

A member posted a question about an old Golden Age Western comic, wondering why it was being listed for so much by Harley Yee (an Overstreet Advisor) on ebay. I mean, it was way overpriced--the comic was in FAIR condition or something and Harley wanted $30 or so for it, even though the GOOD price in the Guide was something like $10 (meaning the FAIR price is usually half of the GOOD price). My numbers may be off, but you get the idea--overpriced Western book.

The member could find no copies anywhere else, and there had been no recent previous sales on ebay. So the comic IS rare. In fact, you could say that Harley was holding onto the only readily available copy in the market.

But who would pay that much for the comic? Nobody, really. So there the comic would sit in Harley's store, for a long time. But eventually--EVENTUALLY--some collector who only had that last issue to buy to fill his run would buy the book. Or a rich collector would finally buy it because it can't be found anywhere else, no matter the cost.

At that point, Harley would report the sale to Overstreet, and the price would increase in the next year's price guide. But is the comic really worth that much just because someone finally caved and bought it from him? No, no it's not.

And this illustrates why Overstreet it wrong, and why these people are asking so much money for this Cat-Man comic. It's obviously not worth $400, or else it would be REGULARLY be traded and sold for that price.

This also goes for new books as well. Sometimes a flux in the market will then generate a huge demand for an issue and make it very overpriced for a short term until more people list ones for sale.

Here is perfect example.

The Amazing Spiderman #620 deadpool variant was selling for about $25-35 all the time on ebay. Then one day all the copies had been sold except for one. That seller ( a buddy of mine) always lists his variants at astronomic prices. He had his listed for $300. Well then when another seller checks ebay for prices before listing his, wow, only copy is $300 so he listed his for $200 or best offer. It sold in a week for $150 and after that about 10 hit the market all at $150 and they sold. Even mycomicshop jumped on the wagon. They used to list them for $40 now they have highest at $350.

Is this issue that rare, NO, but because a flux in the market made it appear rare everyone jumped on the wagon.

Another example is the Dark Avengers #1 Midtown variant. Midtown was selling it for $15, then an article came out saying the Iron Patriot was going to be in Iron Man 3 movie (months before release). So prices on ebay skyrocket to over $100. Midtown jacked up its own rate and put a 1 per customer cap on them. They sold for over $100 for about a month then prices dropped to about $15 when hundreds of people listed them trying to cash in on the high prices.

Thanks to the following sellers for helping me put together my complete run of Amazing Spider-man #1-700

ComicCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Now for the sellers helping me finish my TMNT collection:

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics

Khaine
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2013 2:01:57 PM
Groups: Member, Subscriber

thanks that clears it up for me

it's on par with the people that got their dad's old comic stash, buy that book and only see the price the highest price.
rook68
Posted: Friday, December 13, 2013 1:14:47 AM

I really try not to pay anything crazy. The most I have paid for a comic is around $100. Once for a The Batman Adventures #12, first Harley Quinn-online purchase(EBay). The second time was for a Fantastic Four #52, first Black Panther- Comic Con 2009. Both comics were bought at different times in different places. Both comics looked too beautiful and I couldn't resist.

(referring to an original comic book piece) This is a art gallery my friend and THIS is a piece of art.

Elijah Price "Unbreakable"
played by Samuel L. Jackson

BurningDoom
Posted: Friday, December 13, 2013 12:02:36 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

rook68 wrote:
I really try not to pay anything crazy. The most I have paid for a comic is around $100.

Me and you definitely have differing opinions on what a crazy price is.

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
outcast
Posted: Friday, December 13, 2013 5:50:20 PM
Groups: Member, Newsstand Edition Host

I think there is a fallacy in the question itself.

The question seeks a response specifying a hard dollar limit that we would be willing to pay for any comic. "Any comic" includes the record-setters: Action Comics #1 (June 1938). Detective Comics #27 (May 1939). Marvel Comics #1 (Nov. 1939). The exercise is absurd. For example, I have never paid more than US$80 (albeit 1983 dollars) for any comic. But if I were offered a NM Action Comics #1 (June 1938) for (allowing for inflation) $300, do you think I would hesitate to fork over the cash? Of course not. I would probably fork over that much for a NM Adventure Comics 247 (April 1958), or a NM Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies #1 (January 1941). If for no other reason, I could easily flip any of those issues for a significant gain.

But more than $10 for Birds of Prey #8 (August 1999)? Unlikely.

Everything is relative.
Logan73
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2013 11:41:37 AM

Have to agree with outcast. This question is not qualified well enough to give one answer.

If I ran into a Golden age first appearance of a character I have heard of... all bets are off.

That dream aside though... I have been collecting since the early 80s the most I ever paid was 400 dollars for a Hulk 181 in 2000. I bought it off Ebay as listed NM (and actually was a FN/FN-), and lets just say that purchase changed my mental price point.

My current rough rules are for comics I can not check in person (and that are not PGX and CGC graded), I go up to about 150 (with excellent pictures and if it is an absolute bargain in my opinion).

My price range does get influenced by age/condition/my projected importance of the comic (Silver and Bronze up to 150; Copper up to 30; Modern... outside of WD 1, Y the Last Man 1; and a few variants... up to cover).

Interested to hear my fellow collectors views on breaking down their max limits for Silver/Bronze/Copper/Modern comics.
BurningDoom
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2013 1:51:52 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

Logan73 wrote:
Have to agree with outcast. This question is not qualified well enough to give one answer.

If I ran into a Golden age first appearance of a character I have heard of... all bets are off.

That dream aside though... I have been collecting since the early 80s the most I ever paid was 400 dollars for a Hulk 181 in 2000. I bought it off Ebay as listed NM (and actually was a FN/FN-), and lets just say that purchase changed my mental price point.

My current rough rules are for comics I can not check in person (and that are not PGX and CGC graded), I go up to about 150 (with excellent pictures and if it is an absolute bargain in my opinion).

My price range does get influenced by age/condition/my projected importance of the comic (Silver and Bronze up to 150; Copper up to 30; Modern... outside of WD 1, Y the Last Man 1; and a few variants... up to cover).

Interested to hear my fellow collectors views on breaking down their max limits for Silver/Bronze/Copper/Modern comics.

But this applies to you, only. So then, that's your limit (those Golden Age issues).

Personally, I'd never pay $400 for a single comic issue, even if it was Incredible Hulk 181. Not everyone is looking for high-end priced issues. Many people are happy enough with the reprints and TPBs.

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
marvelmaniac6169
Posted: Tuesday, December 24, 2013 8:03:13 PM

Thundercron wrote:

Hello and Happy Holiday's to All,
I have not been on for quite sometime but that was me that posted that question about the Harley Yee book.
His response to the high price was" It is a Jack Kirby Monster Cover".
I ended up winning a copy of Two Gun Kid #58 in VG+ condition for $23.00 shipped so...
On the topic of the thread...
The most I paid for any one book was $125.00 for an F.F #3 and a TTA #27, both were bought 6-7 years ago.
At this point I am looking for a Kid Colt Outlaw #1 and a Rawhide Kid #1 but I have lowered my limits and will not pay over $100.00 for each.