Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
100 Page Spectaculars Options
chiller67
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2013 5:20:17 PM

Groups: Member

Another reason for this reprint could be due to it's scarcity. Arguably DC's hardest to find/scarcest bronze age comic.

I love the DC 100 pagers and collect them. This is the one that will be the most expensive and hardest to find. I expect to have to pay over £100 for it easily. Luckily I've a few to get yet before I set my sights on this one.
outcast
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2013 7:33:52 PM
Groups: Member, Newsstand Edition Host

I wrote:
Publication of these comics began in 1971, and there were irregularities from the very start. The first issue was numbered #4, and was dated only 1971 (no month). AFAIK, no one has ever dated the issue to a specific month (though it's not unreasonable to speculate that it was published at the same time as, or soon after, publication of DC's 48-page, 25-cent comics, cover-dated August 1971). This issue fell into DC's line of mystery comics (e.g., House of Mystery, House of Secrets), sporting a macabre Wrightson cover and reprinting stories from early DC mystery comics. A remarkable characteristic was the absence of paid advertising; readers were getting two pages of reading for each cent of cover price.

I'm still thinking about DC 100-pagers. And as I'm thinking about them, I have remembered reading on the DC Indexes website how much time and effort its author has put into figuring out DC's on-sale dates.

I have checked the site, and sure enough, it has on-sale dates for the DC 100-Page Super-Spectaculars. Numbers 4, 5, and 6 are reported to have been released two weeks apart from each other, on June 17, 1971; July 1, 1971; and July 15, 1971. Number DC-7 (Superman 245) reportedly wasn't released until October 7, 1971. What an odd release pattern!

Not quite on point for this thread, but interesting nevertheless, is that the same website offers release dates for a couple of other oddball publications from 909 Third Ave in New York NY: The Spirit World #1 (July 8, 1971) and In the Days of the Mob #1 (July 29, 1971). That puts The Spirit World exactly between 100-Page Super Spectacular #s 5 & 6, and In the Days of the Mob exactly two weeks after #6.

It all reminds me of the promotional blurbs that were appearing in DC Comics in the spring of 1971 (from memory, so perhaps not exact wording): "Watch for the Daring! The Different! And the New! Beginning in June!" These dates help me realize for the first time what those blurbs were talking about: a new 52-page format for the regular titles, sure, but also new 100-page comics and new B&W magazines from the same office of publication (the magazines technically were not DC publications; I believe the words "National Periodical Publications, Inc." were nowhere to be found in those two issues). It kind of looks like this was the moment when DC was deciding to make its best effort to reverse the discouraging trends they were seeing from their distributor, by trying new packages and formats.

I remember seeing the 100-pagers that summer only when I traveled to the (slightly) bigger city an hour from home, not at the retailers closest to home. And I might have seen the Spirit World and the Mob magazines in the same larger city (or I might not have seen them at all, I can't clearly remember; they certainly didn't capture my interest like 100-Page Super-Spec #6 did). So for me, the Daring! The Different! and the New! boiled down to DC's line costing 25¢ (up from 15¢), with the extra pages filled with reprints. Not that I wasn't happy to have the reprinted stories each month, but I never really got why there was all the promotional fuss over increasing page counts and adding reprints. This information helps me make more sense of it all.
DRUMCZAR
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2013 11:54:10 AM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Hey Outcast

I have a bunch listed in my store & a few not up yet & at 30% off.

Check 'em out!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

ADC

PEACE!+

EVERYTHING IS 30% OFF!!!

FREE SHIPPING (US Only) STARTS AT $20(Media) / $30 (Priority)
(US Orders only)

ALL INTERNATIONAL SHIPMENTS GET FREE INSURANCE & TRACKING!!!

SHOP AT MY STORE - - ADC'S COLLECTION!

I AM HIGHLY COMMITTED TO MAKING IT ONE OF THE BEST BUYING EXPERIENCES YOU'VE EVER HAD!!!

BALTIMORE RAVENS SUPERBOWL XLVII CHAMPIONS!!!

GO RAVENS !!!