Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Marvel newsstands gone from bookstores Options
outcast
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2013 7:51:35 PM
Groups: Member, Newsstand Edition Host

I've been noticing these past few weeks that I wasn't seeing new Marvel issues on my weekly stops at Barnes & Noble bookstores. This past weekend I took a close look, and the most recent Marvels had remove-from-display dates (yeah, they have those on their newsstand copies) of December 10, implying that they went ON sale a month prior to that.

And today, two sites are confirming that Marvel is no longer distributing comics to bookstores. Bleeding Cool covers it, and so does ICV2.
outcast
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2013 9:53:17 PM

Comic Book Resources is covering this.
outcast
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2013 9:54:43 PM

outcast
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2013 10:09:20 PM

The Beat covers this, but goes a little overboard in claiming that there are no more Marvels in B&Ns. Marvel has stopped shipping single issues to B&N; that's not the same thing as B&N not having single-issue Marvels on the racks. As I said earlier, I saw plenty of Marvels at local B&Ns (but nothing that shipped since early November).
Thundercron
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2013 1:19:14 AM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

I read a few of the links (thanks for the heads up on this). Couldn't believe that one of the VP's for Marvel actually said that "we've tried to make the newsstand market work for years." What a load. They've barely made an effort. Comic books obviously haven't been pushed by distributors or publishers as items that retailers should stock on their shelves for quite some time now.
BurningDoom
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2013 1:58:40 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

ErichK
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2014 2:07:32 PM

Groups: Member

I picked up a few issues at Barnes & Noble the other day and had wondered why the Marvel offerings were slim and dated. I guess the next time I need to burn a B&N gift card, DC will be getting all my business.
MoonKnight1
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2014 4:15:01 PM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Hi Erich!

Welcome to Comic Collector Live!

I was in the B&N in town in December and they only had Trades and GN's. No "comic books".

That's too bad because I used to get a bunch of books there when I didn't have a LCS.

Fantastic News! Hall of Heroes has now surpassed 600 Hero Ratings! I couldn't have done it without all of you and I will strive to maintain and improve my high standards. Which brings me to my next announcement - starting now, all shipments will come with tracking at no extra charge to you! I'm a little late to the party but as they say - better late than never. You spoke and I heard you loud and clear. Excelsior!

Now with 1,500+ positive feedback on the four letter site!
Standing offer to all CCL Members - every purchase you make from my other store (link below) earns you at least one freebie of my choice! If you purchase from Hall Liquidations send a PM to Hall of Heroes and let me know! Thanks!

Hall Liquidations

Skattershot
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 10:44:08 PM
Groups: Member

I miss the "spinners" at various grocery stores. I used to in the 80's and early '90s be able to get books off the spinners they'd have in the candy/toy aisle. Then, as more and more comic stores started opening, those pickings became less and less. Now, I never see any more spinners, and I haven't been to a B&N for a long while, but the one up the road from me never carried comics. They did a bunch of music, but never any comics.