Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Forever Evil Discussion (Spoilers) Options
BurningDoom
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2013 12:58:44 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

So, what did everyone think of the opening week of this event?

First of all, those 3-D covers look amazing. I know gimmick covers are like the bane of the comic collecting community, but I've always liked them. And these particular covers just look beautiful. And a pic, unfortunately, doesn't do them justice, you need to see them in person to see the eye-popping effect.

As for the issues themselves, well the origin issues are cool. It's nice to see definitive origins for these characters in the New 52 universe. And I like how most of them aren't evil just for the sake of being evil, they have some motivating factor to them.

But, the main title, Forever Evil #1, was a bit disappointing, IMO. The fight scenes between the Crime Syndicate and the Justice League were just PATHETIC. These should have been drag-down, knock fights that were full of fantastic super-hero action. I mean we're talking about the Justice League, comics' most powerful super-team, fighting their evil counterparts which are JUST AS powerful.

And then the villains just take-over the world, just like that? Just because the Justice League is down? What about the other 100 or so heroes inhabiting the DC Universe? Teen Titans? Outsiders? Justice League Dark and America? Task Force X? Hopefully this will be addressed as the series goes on.

Your thoughts?

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
Xylob
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2013 1:29:58 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

BurningDoom wrote:
First of all, those 3-D covers look amazing. ... And these particular covers just look beautiful. And a pic, unfortunately, doesn't do them justice, you need to see them in person to see the eye-popping effect.
Agreed - these are some of the coolest and best looking lenticular covers I've ever seen. Based on the allocating and the email I'd recevied from my LCS I was expecting to get the 'normal' covers, but I got the 3D cover for every title I collect this week.

BurningDoom wrote:
As for the issues themselves, well the origin issues are cool. It's nice to see definitive origins for these characters in the New 52 universe. And I like how most of them aren't evil just for the sake of being evil, they have some motivating factor to them.
Cyborg Superman's origin really threw me for a loop... I know Hank Henshaw has already appeared in the New52 so learing that he is NOT Cyborg Superman now was very unexpected.

BurningDoom wrote:
But, the main title, Forever Evil #1, was a bit disappointing, IMO. The fight scenes between the Crime Syndicate and the Justice League were just PATHETIC. These should have been drag-down, knock fights that were full of fantastic super-hero action. I mean we're talking about the Justice League, comics' most powerful super-team, fighting their evil counterparts which are JUST AS powerful.

And then the villains just take-over the world, just like that? Just because the Justice League is down? What about the other 100 or so heroes inhabiting the DC Universe? Teen Titans? Outsiders? Justice League Dark and America? Task Force X? Hopefully this will be addressed as the series goes on.

Your thoughts?
I liked Foreverl Evil #1 and thought it was pretty darned cool over-all. Ultraman snorting powdered Kryptonite to get high? Just freakin' iNsAnE!
However, since it is Johns writing, I expect this to continue to be cool for most of the series and then just before what should be the climax... it will derail off into boring nothingness and ultimately have no lasting impact on anything (*cough* Blackest Night *cough*).

It doesn't matter if it's 50 Cents or 50 Dollars - if you list it as NM it better be NM.
Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!

Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...
BurningDoom
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2013 1:58:38 PM

Xylob wrote:

BurningDoom wrote:
Cyborg Superman's origin really threw me for a loop... I know Hank Henshaw has already appeared in the New52 so learing that he is NOT Cyborg Superman now was very unexpected.

That was revealed in the last few issues of Supergirl, which are pretty good reads, pick them up if you can. But no, no connection to Hank Henshaw this time around.

Xylob
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2013 2:06:54 PM

I was on the fence about picking them up, but ultimately passed because I don't like the art on current Supergirl and am trying to keep the number of titles down for a while.

It doesn't matter if it's 50 Cents or 50 Dollars - if you list it as NM it better be NM.
Xylob's Most Wanted:

Problems with CCL?
615-264-4747
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...
Khaine
Posted: Monday, September 09, 2013 9:12:28 AM
Groups: Member, Subscriber

It's okay, I'm still a little confused with the whole trinity war thing. I was away for training for all of last month so when I got to the LCS last week and picked up my stack o' comics. I sorted through them to read the trinity war and it came out as a jumbled mess to me...

maybe i wasn't paying attention enough, i'll try and reread them again tonight if I have time. So many more comics to get through though..
Xylob
Posted: Monday, September 09, 2013 9:49:21 AM

I only picked up the Justice League titles and skipped all the tie-in issues - seemed fairly straight-forward, if not a bit ill-conceieved and rushed.

Xylob's Most Wanted:

Problems with CCL?
615-264-4747
Khaine
Posted: Monday, September 09, 2013 10:57:10 AM

i'm going to have to reread them tonight then I must have skipped a few pages or got side tracked with what was on TV at the time.
Xylob
Posted: Monday, September 09, 2013 12:55:01 PM

lol - I can only read my funny books when my wife isn't home, otherwise I just have to re-read them again later. Distractions definitely degrade the reading experience.

Xylob's Most Wanted:

Problems with CCL?
615-264-4747
ukblueky
Posted: Monday, September 09, 2013 8:38:17 PM

Groups: Member

Havent read Forever Evil 1 yet, cause my issue of Justice League #23 hasn't arrived yet. But I did read some of the one shot issues. Overall the best I can say is....meh.
Heres my ultra quick breakdown of my thoughts on the issues I've read.

Joker- May be the worst issue of these one shots I've read so far. Really stupid story. I was super excited at first cause it started off with him as a boy. I thought we were gonna get an origin story but nope a stupid gorilla story.

Poison Ivy- It was okay at best. Decent art + Decent story = Ho hum.

Two Face- I liked this one. Thought the art fit the mood of the story. It wasn't an origin issue but a completely new current story. Cause face it (no pun intended) how many times can two Faces origin be told? Glad they didn't retell it.

Relic- this felt like a Who's Who biography and not a story. I am excited for the upcoming GL storyline though.

Darkseid- I guess I was hoping for more from this issue. It just felt like it was lacking something. Good artwork though.

fenix1977
Posted: Sunday, November 03, 2013 12:50:00 AM

I am waiting on my issue to show up in the mail. I am only getting this because of the ramifications for Nightwing. I have cut almost all my DC books from my list.

Mad Bloggings

Xylob
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2013 7:54:40 PM

So, in JLA#9, who is J'onn's tormentor?
I think they tell us on page 16, panel 2.

I think it's
Despero

Look closely at his adversary's
forehead

Xylob's Most Wanted:

Problems with CCL?
615-264-4747
rook68
Posted: Saturday, December 28, 2013 9:05:44 PM

Just got this in the mail. Loving me some Finch.

(referring to an original comic book piece) This is a art gallery my friend and THIS is a piece of art.

Elijah Price "Unbreakable"
played by Samuel L. Jackson

rook68
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2013 11:44:07 PM

I haven't read any event type books in a while that is delivering like Forever Evil. I thought Infinity at first started awesome but ended up not that great. But as for Forever Evil the story is blowing me away. Not spoiling anything but I am digging how they are showing characters in a new light and that they are mixing things up and so far it's working great. (Fingers crossed) Hope the ride continues.

(referring to an original comic book piece) This is a art gallery my friend and THIS is a piece of art.

Elijah Price "Unbreakable"
played by Samuel L. Jackson

Tamwood
Posted: Wednesday, January 01, 2014 12:48:21 AM

I'm more confused by FE's place in the DC storyline than anything. It would appear, from the tangents in JL, JLA and JLD, that it's an in-continuity (what's that?) story. But it doesn't seem to be affecting any other books, and something as important as the Nightwing reveal ... would be something that should touch the entire DCU.

Of course ... DC really has no continuity, so who knows.
Xylob
Posted: Wednesday, January 01, 2014 8:04:47 AM

Tamwood wrote:
I'm more confused by FE's place in the DC storyline than anything. It would appear, from the tangents in JL, JLA and JLD, that it's an in-continuity (what's that?) story...
I too am confused.
I know that when n52 started some titles were doing stories from "10 years ago", "5 years ago" and "now", but I thought that everything had caught up and FE was happening "now" - but with
Sinestro's appearance in this last issue, there's no way in hell it's "now" because he hasn't been a Yellow Lantern for a very long time and according to the Green Lantern books everybody thinks he's dead and he won't be seen again for a very, very long time.

As such, I'm gonna have to move all the FE books and their tie-in/lead-in books to the "5 years ago" section (if not the "10 years ago").

Xylob's Most Wanted:

Problems with CCL?
615-264-4747
padreglcc
Posted: Wednesday, January 01, 2014 8:25:20 AM

Groups: Approver, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, DC Host, Forum Admin, Member, Moderator, New Releases Host, Reviews Host, Subscriber

Xylob wrote:
Tamwood wrote:
I'm more confused by FE's place in the DC storyline than anything. It would appear, from the tangents in JL, JLA and JLD, that it's an in-continuity (what's that?) story...
I too am confused.
I know that when n52 started some titles were doing stories from "10 years ago", "5 years ago" and "now", but I thought that everything had caught up and FE was happening "now" - but with
Sinestro's appearance in this last issue, there's no way in hell it's "now" because he hasn't been a Yellow Lantern for a very long time and according to the Green Lantern books everybody thinks he's dead and he won't be seen again for a very, very long time.

As such, I'm gonna have to move all the FE books and their tie-in/lead-in books to the "5 years ago" section (if not the "10 years ago").

Disagree. Reread GL #20 and 23.1. Besides, in the "5 years ago" and "10 years ago" the JLA and JLD didn't exist, nor did the current incarnation of the Suicide Squad or the Rogues.

“We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know." W. H. Auden

Please make sure you read and understand the Forum Rules here.
fenix1977
Posted: Wednesday, January 01, 2014 1:21:03 PM

Kind of enjoying this. It has been a fun read and I hope Nightwing is not going to be doomed at the end of this.

Mad Bloggings

BurningDoom
Posted: Friday, January 03, 2014 1:05:50 AM

***SPOILERS AHEAD****

So Sinestro shows up on the final page of the latest issue. Awesome, I'm a huge GL fan and Sinestro is just a freaking bad-ass and knows it. And even cooler, it looks like he's still bonded to the Parallax entity.

But what I don't understand is what the heck he's doing on Earth. Why does he care at all that the Crime Syndicate is taking over Earth? There's nothing there to connect him to Earth. You may be thinking, "Maybe he's looking for some payback on Hal Jordan again." Maybe, but he wouldn't be on Earth to do that. Hal Jordan is in space, leading the GL Corps after The Guardians were killed by Sinestro. And Sinestro knows that, because he was there when it all went down.

Xylob
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2014 10:17:44 AM

padreglcc wrote:
Xylob wrote:
Tamwood wrote:
I too am confused.

Disagree. Reread GL #20 and 23.1. Besides, in the "5 years ago" and "10 years ago" the JLA and JLD didn't exist, nor did the current incarnation of the Suicide Squad or the Rogues.
Plus, as I was just reminded by reading Superman/Wonder Woman #4, "back then" Luthor was in prison and during Forever Evil he no longer is...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

Problems with CCL?
615-264-4747
fenix1977
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2014 12:38:16 AM

BurningDoom wrote:
***SPOILERS AHEAD****

So Sinestro shows up on the final page of the latest issue. Awesome, I'm a huge GL fan and Sinestro is just a freaking bad-ass and knows it. And even cooler, it looks like he's still bonded to the Parallax entity.

But what I don't understand is what the heck he's doing on Earth. Why does he care at all that the Crime Syndicate is taking over Earth? There's nothing there to connect him to Earth. You may be thinking, "Maybe he's looking for some payback on Hal Jordan again." Maybe, but he wouldn't be on Earth to do that. Hal Jordan is in space, leading the GL Corps after The Guardians were killed by Sinestro. And Sinestro knows that, because he was there when it all went down.

Maybe he is there to reclaim the yellow ring Batman has? Right now I am more geeking out that Ted Kord is supposed to show up at some point.

Mad Bloggings