Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Probably a dumb question Options
jbeeman85
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2014 1:55:52 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

This may be a dumb question, but do all starter decks for trading cards games have the same cards in them? Obviously I mean two decks from the same series before anybody tries to be funny.
Tamwood
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2014 3:48:17 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

This is a tricky question.

There are decks known as "theme decks," especially when it comes to Magic: The Gathering. The cards contained in each particular theme deck are the same, but most sets have multiple (generally 5) different theme decks.

The older Magic sets also had random "starter" decks. These were random 60-ish card decks, that did NOT contain the same cards.
scotteaves
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2014 9:14:24 PM

Groups: Approver, Approver Moderator, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Guru, Member, Subscriber

No, not ALL starter decks for CCG/TCG's have the same cards in them. Some do have the same cards, some have the same group of "fixed" cards in them and a bunch of random cards.

I know of "theme" decks that are the same way - some have the same cards like Tamwood mentioned and others have a fixed set of cards along with a batch of random cards.

I've seen them where the fixed cards could vary from 1 to 20 cards in a starter or theme deck.

jbeeman85
Posted: Thursday, January 09, 2014 6:48:54 AM

Thank you. I kinda thought it was that way but have never really wanted to ask to avoid getting a smart butt answer from some hardcore collector. I pretty much know that the rarer cards would be in a booster pack but wasn't 100% on if you could buy several starter decks and basically complete a base set.
scotteaves
Posted: Thursday, January 09, 2014 8:09:21 AM

Groups: Approver, Approver Moderator, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Guru, Member, Subscriber

jbeeman85 wrote:
Thank you. I kinda thought it was that way but have never really wanted to ask to avoid getting a smart butt answer from some hardcore collector. I pretty much know that the rarer cards would be in a booster pack but wasn't 100% on if you could buy several starter decks and basically complete a base set.

I wouldn't count on that. From my experience, the random cards in a starter deck will be broken down by a certain number of each rarity. Let's say a 60 card deck has 20 "fixed" cards and 40 Random cards. Of those 40 random cards, 4 or 5 are rare, 12-15 are uncommon, 20-24 are common.

Trying to collect a base set just by purchasing starter decks is probably not the most effective use of $$. Generally, I'll pick up a box (or two) + as many starter/theme decks as necessary to complete the "fixed" cards. For example, X-Files CCG 2nd Release (The Truth is Out There) had 5 different starter decks. Each starter deck had a different grouping of fixed cards in them. Oddly enough, after 2 boxes AND 3 of the 5 starter decks I have all the rare and Ultra Rare cards but still need some common and uncommon cards.

jbeeman85
Posted: Thursday, January 09, 2014 9:15:03 AM

scotteaves wrote:
For example, X-Files CCG 2nd Release (The Truth is Out There) had 5 different starter decks. Each starter deck had a different grouping of fixed cards in them. Oddly enough, after 2 boxes AND 3 of the 5 starter decks I have all the rare and Ultra Rare cards but still need some common and uncommon cards.

That is kind of odd to get all the "rare" cards before getting the "common" cards.

The reason I am asking this is because I was recently given a box of random cards that included a few cards from the Teenage Mutnat Ninja Turtles trading card game and now I am considering attempting to complete a set. It's probably going to be much harder now than it would have been if I bought the things when they were actually being produced. I was just trying to figure out a good method for doing so (such as would buying several starter decks be a good idea) aside from buying each card individually which would be much more expensive.
scotteaves
Posted: Thursday, January 09, 2014 9:56:47 PM

jbeeman85 wrote:
scotteaves wrote:
For example, X-Files CCG 2nd Release (The Truth is Out There) had 5 different starter decks. Each starter deck had a different grouping of fixed cards in them. Oddly enough, after 2 boxes AND 3 of the 5 starter decks I have all the rare and Ultra Rare cards but still need some common and uncommon cards.

That is kind of odd to get all the "rare" cards before getting the "common" cards.

3 words - Worst. Collation. Ever.
The packs were just amazingly poorly collated - back to back packs with the exact same cards in them except for the rare/ultra-rare.

jbeeman85 wrote:

The reason I am asking this is because I was recently given a box of random cards that included a few cards from the Teenage Mutnat Ninja Turtles trading card game and now I am considering attempting to complete a set. It's probably going to be much harder now than it would have been if I bought the things when they were actually being produced. I was just trying to figure out a good method for doing so (such as would buying several starter decks be a good idea) aside from buying each card individually which would be much more expensive.

I guess it depends on what's in the starter decks - if they're random, it could help get you further along. Any clue how many cards in the set?

jbeeman85
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2014 8:55:56 AM

Not sure how many there are. So far, the highest number card that I have found listed separately is 100. That seems like a low number run to me though. I think the Turtles set has a parallel foil set too which would double the number of cards to get a complete set. Since I haven't been able to find a listing of how many cards this thing has, I have posted a question on a TMNT fan forum and hopefully I will get some answers from that.
Tamwood
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2014 12:49:53 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

Check out nslists.com. It's a non-sport card set checklist website.
scotteaves
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2014 8:00:24 PM

Tamwood wrote:

But these are gaming cards. There are some CCG's on nslists.com but they are mostly Star Wars and Star Trek.

I had already checked there for a TMNT TCG/CCG and nada. It's my first goto source for cards. :)

BruceReville
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2014 10:00:34 PM

Groups: Member

scotteaves wrote:
Tamwood wrote:

But these are gaming cards. There are some CCG's on nslists.com but they are mostly Star Wars and Star Trek.

I had already checked there for a TMNT TCG/CCG and nada. It's my first goto source for cards. :)

NSLIST ALL CARDS

Search all card listings - CTRL F - CCG - it will take you though the list everything from Babylon 5 CCG to X-Files CCG. It doesn't list Magic the Gathering but if you want those listings there is a links page at the top that gives links to even more card checklists including Magic

Just When You Thought It Was Safe To Collect Again --- VARIANTS STRIKE!

jbeeman85
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2014 10:10:59 PM

I couldn't find the list of the set I am looking for on any of the places mentioned. If anyone is curious, this is a list from user jestergoblin from "The Technodrome" forums.

Here's the breakdown:

Complete Set: 180

10 Ultra Rare's - Ripple foil and card name is in gold writing
10 Super Rare's - Same as FOIL COMMON but Super Rares's are full foil
80 Foil Common's - Only the pic is foil
80 Non Foil Common's - Just a plain card

If you don't care about foils/non-foil, here you go:

1 Leonardo (ULTRA RARE)
2 Donatello
3 Rapheal
4 Michelangelo
5 Splinter
6 Two Ton Thug
7 Mouser Robot
8 April
9 Seiza
10 Sparring
11 Shinku Throw (ULTRA RARE)
12 Lightning
13 Tie Down
14 Ripping
15 Quick Draw
16 Sippu (SUPER RARE)
17 Blue Dragon
18 Kickboard
19 Katana
20 Shell Cell
21 Battle Shell (SUPER RARE)
22 Leonardo
23 Donatello (ULTRA RARE)
24 Rapheal
25 Michelangelo
26 Splinter (ULTRA RARE)
27 Dragon Face Boss
28 April
29 Foot Ninja
30 Combination Attack
31 Deception
32 Hacking
33 Absorption
34 Training
35 Stealthy Steps
36 Gatotsu
37 Shinkan (SUPER RARE)
38 White Tiger (SUPER RARE)
39 BMX
40 Bo Staff
41 Thermal Vision
42 Glider
43 Leonardo
44 Donatello
45 Rapheal (ULTRA RARE)
46 Michelangelo
47 Splinter
48 Baxter Stockman
49 Casey Jones
50 Shredder (ULTRA RARE)
51 Manipulator
52 Punishment
53 High Powered Magnet
54 Blast Furnace
55 Wire Action
56 Slingshot
57 Finesse
58 Rekka (SUPER RARE)
59 Phoenix (SUPER RARE)
60 Inline Skate
61 Sai
62 Shell Cycle
63 Shredder
64 Leonardo
65 Donatello
66 Rapheal
67 Michelangelo (ULTRA RARE)
68 Splinter
69 Hun
70 Casey Jones
71 Nano Monster
72 I'll Be Your Best Friend
73 Retaliation
74 Sensei
75 This Is My Justice (SUPER RARE)
76 Press
77 Withdrawal (ULTRA RARE)
78 Beatdown
79 Fudo (SUPER RARE)
80 Chimera
81 Skateboard
82 Nunchaku
83 Splinter Rod
84 Casey Cycle
85 Ninja Castle
86 Secret Lab
87 Terrible Pinch
88 Bushido
89 Flood
90 Memories (ULTRA RARE)
91 Green Tea
92 Anger
93 Hidden Passage
94 Nap
95 Mayday! (SUPER RARE)
96 Parent And Child (SUPER RARE)
97 New Team (ULTRA RARE)
98 Nitouryu
99 Practice Dummy
100 Candlelight

scotteaves
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 10:31:33 AM

Good luck - all those foils should make for a challenge.

jbeeman85
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 11:42:35 AM

scotteaves wrote:

Yeah, darn my urge to complete a collection when I get one or two of something. This is going to cost me quite a bit of money.
scotteaves
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 12:23:23 PM

jbeeman85 wrote:
scotteaves wrote:

Yeah, darn my urge to complete a collection when I get one or two of something. This is going to cost me quite a bit of money.

I hear you. Still trying to complete both the Star Wars Decipher CCG's and X-Files CCG's. Down to some of the more expensive Star Wars ones...