Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Offline and passwords Options
MadRADh
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2013 5:41:45 PM
Groups: Member, Subscriber

Hi

I quite like the ccl app but there is one problem and one feature that it could really do with.

The problem is that your password is shown to anyone who looks in the settings. This really need to be sorted so that it is changed to asterisks '*' after being entered.

As for the feature that the app could do with, I feel that my wishlist should be made available to view offline. To save my data usage when looking in a store or at a con, I will need to save report and upload it to my phone, but if the app stored the wish list offline I would not need this extra few steps.

Thank you for the app.
Flagwaver
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2013 9:08:06 PM

I'm sure they'll get right on adding this feature. Rolling on the Floor
pottersan
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2013 10:49:34 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

MadRADh wrote:
Hi

... but if the app stored the wish list offline I would not need this extra few steps.

Thank you for the app.

I'd like the offline ability as well.

Join me on Marvel War of Heroes! Alphacomics, use referral code eng572582 and get bonus items!!

Visit My Facebook Page!

Alpha Comics has LOOSE Action Figures & T Shirts!

Other great CCL Stores;
BlueMoon Comics, The Comic Book Stop, Comics Castle, ComicVortex, TREEHOUSE , The Android's Dungeon, Nerdgasm_Comics
Jim
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2014 2:03:49 PM

Groups: Member

MadRADh wrote:
Hi

I quite like the ccl app but there is one problem and one feature that it could really do with.

The problem is that your password is shown to anyone who looks in the settings. This really need to be sorted so that it is changed to asterisks '*' after being entered.

As for the feature that the app could do with, I feel that my wishlist should be made available to view offline. To save my data usage when looking in a store or at a con, I will need to save report and upload it to my phone, but if the app stored the wish list offline I would not need this extra few steps.

Thank you for the app.

I've been looking at redesigning the app using MVVM to make it easier to update. Changing the password to asterisks would be a simple thing to do while I'm in there. The offline part though is a little trickier because the app is deliberately designed to work in online mode with constant access to the CCL database.

I could potentially make the wishlist (or parts of it) available offline but storing a subset of data for the entire database just wouldn't be feasible.
Flagwaver
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2014 4:30:16 PM

Actually, it is quite feasible. I use an app that stores my entire collection AND wishlist within the app so that it is available anytime.
MadRADh
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2014 7:44:26 AM

Thanks for the reply, It will be great to see the password hidden :)

As for the offline mode how does the app get the list already? Could it go through your wishlist when connected and extract the titles/issues to a csv file or a db.
Jim
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2014 12:06:46 PM

Groups: Member

MadRADh wrote:
Thanks for the reply, It will be great to see the password hidden :)

As for the offline mode how does the app get the list already? Could it go through your wishlist when connected and extract the titles/issues to a csv file or a db.

It connects to a WCF service and reads from the database. Its not that it's technically impossible I've just been hesitant to store stuff offline though because I'm not sure CCL wants their DB accessible that way. Right now the wishlist is stored on the CCL servers but personal collections are only stored in the desktop software. CCL has said that they plan on moving personal collections to the CCL servers which would make it so I can provide them via the app too.

As for offline, one possible way I could do this is to store data in an encrypted read-only file that could be viewed only by the app but not editable (while in offline mode). I don't want to get into the business of trying to keep an offline file in sync with whats on the server and on user desktops so the file would be overwritten either when the user prompts it to or on a periodic basis set by the user.